Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

a bone to pick posted:

Well, this is the unpopular videogame opinions thread.

I personally think Prey is what the new Deus Ex should have played like and what Dead Space wishes it was.

agreed to an extent. I loved the gently caress out of the first dead space game and sorta the second. i want to like prey. i think its great game but the whole "twist" makes me kinda hate it because it makes everything pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

The joy con grip is fine.

it owns

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Harrow posted:

I've noticed a lot of Games forum posters tend to react much more strongly to flaws in otherwise good games than I do. Like that whole thing with Doom 2016's cutscenes. There's maybe eight total minutes of "conversation with NPC that happens while you're not actively running around and/or shooting things" in the entire like eight-hour game but this is treated as an unforgivable sin and everyone who claims the game is light on story is a liar.

Incidentally, this tends to make people assume I hate games that I criticize. I've posted some about things I wish I could change in Breath of the Wild and it usually leads to at least a couple people posting some variation of "when did everyone suddenly turn on BotW?"

Goons are not entirely without mercy, for example, we were savage to the early Killing Floor 2 development and everyone generally thinks the game is good now

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Butter Hole posted:

Prey is garbage, only steam game I've ever refunded. Combat feels bad, gunplay is bad, the idea of "exploration" and "world building" is really just "read boring emails about characters that are uninteresting on computers". The mimics were a cool concept but not fun to fight against. You mostly walk around picking up useless junk until your inventory is full.

I thought the intro was cool, but really didn't see what the hooplah was about. Granted I only played it for 2 hours but I had seen enough.

lol ok

also 'doom has too much story' is an opinion I've seen exactly once, a few posts up from here

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

dont even fink about it posted:

Goons are not entirely without mercy, for example, we were savage to the early Killing Floor 2 development and everyone generally thinks the game is good now

Some goons are brimming with mercy. We've had infamous staunch defenders of games like No Man's Sky or Sea of Thieves lol. Just people screaming into the wind that criticism is trolling.

They aren't typical though.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Dark Souls and Bloodborne suck rear end. Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 are great.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Dark Souls style of games sucks by default. Memorizing patterns is not entertaining.q

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

I agree megaman sucks rear end

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, games were a waste until about 2001.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think people have forgotten how to play games for fun and obsess over the "correct" way to play a game AKA the metagame.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

a bone to pick posted:

I think people have forgotten how to play games for fun and obsess over the "correct" way to play a game AKA the metagame.

Definitely true. But I think that has less to do with change in attitude than it does the proliferation of online play and available guides/stats. I think 90's gamers of whatever would have done the same poo poo with access to same technology and internet resources.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, games were a waste until about 2001.

I honestly think I agree that in most genres of game, pre-2000 games just do not hold up to their modern counterparts. Only a handful are even still worth playing on their own merits.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wasn't being facetious. Old games loving suck. Pretending that Atari or Nintendo games were good is like claiming that the Edison movies were as good as Hollywood studio cinema.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

I wasn't being facetious. Old games loving suck. Pretending that Atari or Nintendo games were good is like claiming that the Edison movies were as good as Hollywood studio cinema.

N64 games pretty old at this point and they own

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

IDONTPOST posted:

No they don't. Show a N64 to somebody who didn't grow up on that system and they are going to be unable to relate to the supposed greats.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

steinrokkan posted:

No they don't. Show a N64 to somebody who didn't grow up on that system and they are going to be unable to relate to the supposed greats.

So you're saying it's an art form

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

steinrokkan posted:

Is this because the gameplay is bad or because the characters look like robots made of triangles

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

steinrokkan posted:

I played many Genesis, PC Engine, and SNES games for the first time a few years ago and found them far better than most games today.

The gameplay is actually better a lot of the time since the game's don't hold your hand.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

Is this because the gameplay is bad or because the characters look like robots made of triangles

Both. But seriously, the gameplay loving sucks. Yet people keep buying the same platformers over and over again...

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

My 2 year old neice thinks Mario 64 owns so I don’t know about that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

I played many Genesis, PC Engine, and SNES games for the first time a few years ago and found them far better than most games today.

The gameplay is actually better a lot of the time since the game's don't hold your hand.

Well, you are retarded?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I mean OoT is a great example. It's forever lauded by the generation that grew up with it as still one of the greatest games of all time, but by modern standards it's hopelessly simplistic and not interesting or remarkable in any way.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

IDONTPOST posted:

My 2 year old neice thinks Mario 64 owns so I don’t know about that

She sounds like the target audience.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

IDONTPOST posted:

Actually they're pretty loving horrible other than Mario 64, Ocarina, and SSMB. Yeah, goldeneye sucks.

N64 was one of nintendo's worst consoles.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Well, you are retarded?

No, but I assume you are since you don't know basic sentence structure.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

N64 was one of nintendo's worst consoles.

I agree with this.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

No, but I assume you are since you don't know basic sentence structure.

So yes, you are retarded.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

So yes, you are retarded.

:ironicat:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Video games only became worthwhile once 3D environments became feasible.

Thank you for posting the "I'm retarded cat" to confirm my suspicion

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
YOU ARE A RETARD IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH MY VIDEOGAME OPINION

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Goldeneye does suck rear end but the majority of N64 platformers still highly playable.

OOT sucks farts any Zelda before BOTW is bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

a bone to pick posted:

YOU ARE A RETARD IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH MY VIDEOGAME OPINION

The unfortunate truth about the American education system had to eventually come out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

IDONTPOST posted:

Goldeneye does suck rear end but the majority of N64 platformers still highly playable.

OOT sucks farts any Zelda before BOTW is bad.

Platformers are inherently a terrible genre that only made sense when more advanced games were too demanding.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

:wrong: Mario Odyssey is the pinacle of gaming. Jumping is inherently the best form of gaming. Most games without a jump suck

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Platformers are literally a waste of computing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

steinrokkan posted:

Platformers video games are literally a waste of computing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Some rare games are good. They are merely not platformers, of JPRGs, or other garbage fire pseudo-games.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
2d platformers are great but 3d platformers are generally god-awful unless they're mario.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
2D platformers are far worse than 3D platformers.

Especially Mario ones, which are lovely regardless of the number of dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Platformers are one of the only genres worth playing. Shooting things with guns in first or third person is boring and dumb and people who enjoy those games suck farts out of a plastic bag.