Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As long as drug abuse and alcohol addiction are seen as dirty problems we will never ever seen any meaningful regulation because he president can literally pitch a “don’t do drugs mmkay” ideaology and everyone acts like that’s a real option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My mom ended up in rehab about 3 times for her alcohol abuse before she finally died from it. That episode was pretty painful for me. A family member with addiction can feel so helpless from the outside.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I didn't know that rehab was such an anarchic wasteland full of scams and garbage, although the exact tactics involved are a lot like other horrible things that have been happening in the medical industry.

At some point when there's an actually capable government, there needs to be a big dive into the whole mess, although with the nightmare of pushback we had to go through to get the slightest healthcare reform last time, it's going to be a total warzone the next time around.

I read an article about the Florida rehab industry about a year or so ago. Can't remember where I saw it, but this segment covered much of the same ground, and I'm glad to see that it's getting more attention.

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that skirts the shoals of the health care system. It's a medical problem, but treatment isn't strictly medical in nature, and there is no definitive medical cure or treatment (like there is for, say, allergies, or physical rehabilitation after a broken leg heals).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The problem is that of it's a "gold rush" style industry where it's got a lot of potential customers with basically zero regulation, so of course you're going to get all the worst people flocking to it to make easy money. As mentioned, it has the additional obstacle of being something that's stigmatized so it's easy for politicians to just ignore the abuses because the people it's happening to have "moral failings" (this is also a huge problem with private prisons).

One thing that struck me was the interview he showed where they say they tell people "you're cured" as if it's a point of pride for them. If that's what they're saying, that's bad. Getting clean in the equivalent of a luxury hotel with people constantly monitoring and counseling you is easy; the hard part is STAYING clean once you go back to your normal life and the circumstances that likely drove you to drugs or alcohol in the first place. The good rehab centers will spend their time preparing you for that part, rather than just running out the clock on your withdrawal symptoms and then telling you "you are no longer an addict".

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I love how the scummy dude says "If you stay in the four seasons for 30 days it's $35,000 and you get nothing" like that is the same amount of money as $70,000

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I can't believe John Oliver had the audacity to say the USA doesn't gently caress with Venezuela. You lying gently caress.

Just saw this episode and came here to post this. How could he possibly justify saying that so forcefully and absolutely?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Pararoid posted:

Just saw this episode and came here to post this. How could he possibly justify saying that so forcefully and absolutely?
Because he didn't say that the US never hosed with Venezuela. He said that the issues stemming from Maduro's corruption are not the United States' fault. It's a super innocuous statement and I'm not sure why anyone would be so up in arms about it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronash posted:

Because he didn't say that the US never hosed with Venezuela. He said that the issues stemming from Maduro's corruption are not the United States' fault. It's a super innocuous statement and I'm not sure why anyone would be so up in arms about it.

He also specifically said that yes, it IS the kind of thing the US would do and it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume it was their fault. It's like, he's not saying "The US has an unimpeachable record when it comes to South and Central America" here.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The US's excursions into South America would probably take multiple segments on its own, and just touching on it briefly would probably set off the patriot nuts who go crazy when you offhandedly chastise America. I can see why they left it out.

And probably the researchers who knew what's up didn't tell that to the writers and Oliver, so they kinda stumbled. America's still probably not directly responsible for their current troubles though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The whole crux of his argument was like "man this situation is hosed CAN YOU BELIEVE America had nothing to do with it, wow that's unbelievable but it's true"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
almost like it isn't

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh jeez, Fred Willard looks like he’s lost a ton of weight.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
This week's alternate title for the show is a bit wordy--possibly too many characters for a thread title.

I just wanted to watch a comedy show and go to sleep but now I'm sad w/ Johnny Joy-Killer

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 4, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Rita Moreno is still hot.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh poo poo, that was Sister Peter Marie?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
That bit with Neil Degrasse Tyson was goddamn brilliant. Especially with John throwing in “feckless” at the end there.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DaveWoo posted:

That bit with Neil Degrasse Tyson was goddamn brilliant. Especially with John throwing in “feckless” at the end there.

I'd be happy to see that become a recurring joke. Not John writing something specifically for Tyson in and of itself, but just him writing something for a particular person and then being upset with that person's nitpicks despite their apparent enjoyment. It's a nice little gag, and the first time I can recall him doing something similar. That said, it's probably not the best sign that I'm not even sure what Tyson's problem was again (the day cycle was different than the spin or something?), didn't comprehend it immediately and must go back and check it at some point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mercury only rotates 3 times for every two times it orbits around the sun, so you can't really measure the length of the days by rotation speed since the orbit fucks it up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Mercury only rotates 3 times for every two times it orbits around the sun, so you can't really measure the length of the days by rotation speed since the orbit fucks it up.

Fucks it up for you, maybe. But not Neil DeGrasse Tyson. He's a badass!

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

tarlibone posted:

Fucks it up for you, maybe. But not Neil DeGrasse Tyson. He's a badass!

thanks

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

tsob posted:

I'd be happy to see that become a recurring joke. Not John writing something specifically for Tyson in and of itself, but just him writing something for a particular person and then being upset with that person's nitpicks despite their apparent enjoyment. It's a nice little gag, and the first time I can recall him doing something similar. That said, it's probably not the best sign that I'm not even sure what Tyson's problem was again (the day cycle was different than the spin or something?), didn't comprehend it immediately and must go back and check it at some point.

I don't think that bit would work without DeGrasse Tyson, given these days he's mostly known for his nitpicking.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tsob posted:

It seemed a long way to go to sneak in a Samantha Bee joke.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You know it's bad when even Reddit has given up on him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That was a great episode. Interesting topic I didn't know of beforehand, good jokes, even the recapping the news sections were pretty fun. I thought something was off about that monarchist guy's lovely accent.

I sure hope people making all those fake news claims don't start using that faked journalist assassination to prove that all murders are faked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It seems like a silly concern to me. He was only "dead" for like a day and it was something the law enforcers spelled out clearly and explained in a press conference. If Russia says the next guy they killed is faking too that's just their usual bullshit. And if some alt right rear end in a top hat suddenly decides this means the next BLM topic isn't actually dead then they're just crazy assholes and you can tell them so.

Its the sort of thing that I really don't think moves the needle. People who would be susceptible to it will fall for something else and people who will use it will use something else.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

It seems like a silly concern to me. He was only "dead" for like a day and it was something the law enforcers spelled out clearly and explained in a press conference. If Russia says the next guy they killed is faking too that's just their usual bullshit. And if some alt right rear end in a top hat suddenly decides this means the next BLM topic isn't actually dead then they're just crazy assholes and you can tell them so.

Its the sort of thing that I really don't think moves the needle. People who would be susceptible to it will fall for something else and people who will use it will use something else.

Yeah, the conspiracy nuts have been claiming the Sandy Hook shooting was faked (not even "false flag", but straight up "didn't happen, nobody died") for years. It's not like anything is going to change now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
General question: And Now This often takes potshots at local news. Is local news just as insane outside of the USA? My local news in Canada's most notable goofy moment was when Rob Leth got front flipped by a rampaging sled.

It just seems like your local news down there is run by crazy people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Local News IS crazy but also its kind of just that there's like a million different networks all doing up to like 10 hours of news a day so there's a poo poo load of material if you're willing and able to dig through it. And they usually go for easy stuff like "they're gonna make bad puns on St Patrick's Day and be kind of racist."

Now I have no idea if they just see what pops up online or if they actually have a system to mine through it. Because that sounds like hell.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I know that Stewart’s Daily Show innovated the practice of DVRing all the cable and network news, then searching the Closed Captioning to mine material. I wouldn’t be surprised that Oliver’s adopted a similar workflow at LWT.

As for how they obtain local news, I have no clue. A lot of stations stream their newscasts online; maybe they’re using that? Or they have watchers set up in key markets around the country? :shrug:

Edit: Actually, I don’t know how well the CC searching method would work. A lot of local news is captioned by way of simply feeding the TelePrompTer script; as such, ad-libs in crosstalk often isn’t reflected in the CC. Since much of And Now is taken from that kind of filler... :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 5, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

General question: And Now This often takes potshots at local news. Is local news just as insane outside of the USA? My local news in Canada's most notable goofy moment was when Rob Leth got front flipped by a rampaging sled.

It just seems like your local news down there is run by crazy people.

Here's the thing. Local news... well, down here, every city of a certain size has a TV market. Not just the giant cities like Chicago and New York and Los Angeles, mind you. I'm talking about the dinky cities of Peoria, Buffalo, and Sacramento. And also, the dinkier cities of Springfield, Albany, and Chico. Most of the network affiliates and some of the independent stations have news departments, and you can count on them for at least 5 - 10 hours of content per day. So, let's say that 99.999% of the time, local news doesn't air anything that's weird, awkward, inappropriate, unintentionally creepy, or otherwise hilariously wrong. It would still be easy to fill in a 2-minute segment on a weekly cable show here and there with clips of stupidity, especially when you consider that they're sometimes drawing on months worth of material.

And for the ones where people are in costume or spouting silly sayings for a holiday or something, it helps to remember that many news stations (especially network affiliates) have morning local-interest "news" programs where they fill in the large gaps left by the national shows like the Today Show or Good Morning with schlocky infotational fluff.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it's a raw numbers thing too. Like Canada only has about 30 million to the US's 300 million people, so if you only need to cherry pick a couple of examples of crazy local news segments, you're going to find a lot more opportunities with the latter than the former.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
All local news is dreadful, tacky poo poo. You can find awkward banter every day on every local news station in every market, that's just what local TV news is.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There's a difference between a planet doing a full 360 degree rotation and rotating until the sun is back over the same spot on the planet.

It takes 23 hours and 56 minutes for the earth to spin 360 degrees.

It takes another four minutes, because the earth is also revolving around the sun, to get the sun back to the same spot in relation to the observers on the planet itself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Echo Chamber posted:

There's a difference between a planet doing a full 360 degree rotation and rotating until the sun is back over the same spot on the planet.

Out of interest, is there a particular reason (that we know of, at least) why Earths personal and heliotropic spins are so similar compared to other planets or is it just a happy coincidence that we take for granted and assume is good for life because that's why we evolved to fit?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm not sure what you're asking. The sidereal and solar days must necessarily be very similar to each other unless the day is so long as to take up a large proportion of its orbit, because the difference is just making up what motion the planet underwent over the course of a rotation. Venus and Mercury just have incredibly long days (Mercury due to tidal forces from being so close to the Sun, Venus is an open question)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 5, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Found this StackExchange page with some possible explanations. Decent read. Looks like we don't know for sure, but the retrograde spin has an impact as well as the dense atmosphere.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

If you were wondering all the reasons why John Oliver's Venezuela episode was terrible, give this a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fV-C1Ag5sI

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Doctor Reynolds posted:

If you were wondering all the reasons why John Oliver's Venezuela episode was terrible, give this a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fV-C1Ag5sI

While the segment had some issues, this video isn't exactly unbiased either. It smelled like propaganda, so I decided to to just randomly fact check a random point, and it failed a simple check. The guy makes a point of calling out the 20% approval thing, but that is the actual statistics cited is solid. Pulling one headline he later cited even gives that Maduro was looking to win the election with only 28.6% of the vote. The next two people with the highest percentage of the vote (Leopoldo López and Henrique Capriles with 18 percent and 15.4 percent, respectively) were either under house arrest or barred from participating in politics. It is pretty clear in context that the Reuter's article was actually talking about what John Oliver made it out to be. Even reading the articles he pulls the headlines from makes it clear that Maduro has serious issues.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know a lot about the subject and I listened to that whole thing with an open mind but I gotta admit he started to really lose me around about the time he was arguing that the CIA probably did inject Chavez with cancer.

I mean, I'm theoretically open to the idea that literally everything I've ever heard or read about Maduro and Venezuela was a lie propagated by a capitalist global conspiracy. After all my knowledge of the subject is superficial at best. But I'm not sure I'd call that video "persuasive."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I gotta admit he started to really lose me around about the time he was arguing that the CIA probably did inject Chavez with cancer.

lol, nothing more need be said here

• Locked thread