Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I feel like I watched most of the movie again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man HTDYD3 looks boring

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
https://i.imgur.com/gNTvjET.mp4

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

Batman The Brave and the Bold did a great episode where Bat Mite explored past variations of Batman. One of them was Batman from the old "The New Scooby Do Movies." There was this gag where Bat Mite tells the audience they couldn't show the characters punching people in those days, then he proceeded to give Batman and the Scooby gang the power to punch people, so the episode ended with Batman, the Scooby gang, and Weird Al, gleefully punching the Batman Rogue's Gallery in their faces. What a great show.

I know that Batman: The Animated Series is more "important" in a historical context but after rewatching it recently and the show having way more not great episodes than I remembered I think Brave and the Bold might be my favorite Batman cartoon.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I had a chuckle at that part.

Overall the movie looks neat, the love story stuff is lame and has been done to death but the viking invasion half looks cool.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Roommate drug me to see Sherlock Gnomes since we both use MoviePass and it's "free".

It's also boring as gently caress and the safest children's movie I've seen this year.

It's not as horribly slow paced as Breaking In or just not good in the genre that it's in as Truth or Dare, but it's boring and not funny.

Also it's got a weirdly racist part where the characters (Gnomeo, Juliet, Sherlock, and Watson) all dress up as Japanese and Chinese gnomes just to get blend in at a Chinese restaurant, which has a tiny gnome Chinatown. But I guess parents took more offense to the dog thing than obvious racism...ah well. Why not both?

Also all of the trailers sucked and there was a mother and three kids down in front laughing at all the horrible jokes and how "Haha the farting robot was funny" in the Teen Titans Go! to the Movies trailer.

They also made a remark that the blob thing in Hotel Transylvania 3 vomiting was "hilarious" and the mother saying "We need to see that movie".

This is why these awful movies are made...children and parents like them.

Me? I'm not going to another subpar animation movie...even being drug to this one was awful. Spider-Man, WIR 2, and Incredibles 2 are on the list...other than that...probably nothing else. Even Isle of Dogs was boring and slow paced.

So that's my review for Sherlock Gnomes. Super safe, super predictable, and really just..not fun.Truth or Dare was better and it's considered a trash horror movie in its own genre.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The overall plot structure seems uncomfortably similar to #2.
-Boy sure things are going great with muh draguns
-OH A NEW HIDDEN INFORMATION WE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT FOR SOME REASON
-gasp
-a giRL! ?? !
-gently caress, bad guys wanna kill/take our dragons for some reason
-aiight

Still, doesn't take away the fact that all this is totes my jam and I will be there opening night in all my mid-thirties finery.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

"This looks terrible, and I will be there on opening night" should really be the thread title.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

"This looks terrible, and I will be there on opening night" should really be the thread title.

I agree with this.

Though I've also sworn off opening night movies unless it's at Alamo because audiences around here are terrible with constantly checking their phones, bringing noisy kids who run around the theater as the movie is going, and talking loudly about spoilers...even for the ending credit scenes.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Animation Thread 2017: "It's 2018"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wouldn’t have batted an eye if the trailer was preceded by a guy saying COMING SOON ON DISNEY VHS

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

HTTYD 3 at the very least looks a lot better than Wreck-it Ralph 2. Not much of an accomplishment, but I was expecting it to look way worse based on that promotional image.

Calaveron posted:

Wouldn’t have batted an eye if the trailer was preceded by a guy saying COMING SOON ON DISNEY VHS

The animation doesn't look low-budget enough for that. Some of the shots shown in the trailer are GORGEOUS.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
HTTYD3 is absolutely a sequel to the second movie, which seems to exist in a totally different frame of reference from the first. I don't think it's a worse frame of reference necessarily but they're nowhere near as similar as the surface aesthetics would have you believe.

I've always thought of the series as being very reminiscent of star wars, but without the same sort of batshit auteur flair, and this trailer certainly reinforces that. (A New Hope and Empire are weird films in very different ways and it's kind of incredible that people think of them as so closely linked.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The first HTTYD exists in a world where movies have themes and pacing, and then the other films exist in a world where the film has a good song and then some goober rear end mother fucker still interrupts it because punch-up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pick posted:

The first HTTYD exists in a world where movies have themes and pacing, and then the other films exist in a world where the film has a good song and then some goober rear end mother fucker still interrupts it because punch-up

That's gotta hurt!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

That's gotta hurt!

*a dog puts its paws over its face*

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Happened on some fun animation trivia, apparently the horse in Tangled was first animated to gallop like a horse, but as the film went on and he became more of a pet to Rapunzel, they gave him a rotary gallop, which only dogs do.

Something nobody would ever notice, but maybe subconsciously made the audience see it as more of a dog and more appealing. The power of animation!

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

Happened on some fun animation trivia, apparently the horse in Tangled was first animated to gallop like a horse, but as the film went on and he became more of a pet to Rapunzel, they gave him a rotary gallop, which only dogs do.

Something nobody would ever notice, but maybe subconsciously made the audience see it as more of a dog and more appealing. The power of animation!

...isn't him being like a dog, like, the entirety of his character's gag?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
no

he's also Zorro

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All animals are dogs.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

21 Muns posted:

...isn't him being like a dog, like, the entirety of his character's gag?

Yeah, Disney horses always have dog mannerisms. But changing the mechanism of the quadruped gait as the film progresses is a pretty neat trick to telegraph that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

All animals are dogs.

all good animals are dogs. all evil animals are cats.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ccs posted:

Yeah, Disney horses always have dog mannerisms. But changing the mechanism of the quadruped gait as the film progresses is a pretty neat trick to telegraph that.

I think the point is that subtly is out of place when IIRC literally the first scene with the horse is it sniffing a trail with its nose to the ground. Like it's so extreme in Tangled it loops back into hilarious.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
they should have had the chameleon also act like a dog and the horse and the chameleon could have sniffed each other's butts, the kids would love it

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
by "the kids" i mean my many exotic sexual fetishes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

this broken hill posted:

they should have had the chameleon also act like a dog and the horse and the chameleon could have sniffed each other's butts, the kids would love it

wtf WIR2 isn't out of editing, get back in your cubicle

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dirksteadfast posted:

All the 2D ones look slightly off in a way that’s hard to pin down. I thinks it’s in the proportions of head to body.

Also they added new anatomical features :ohdear:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Ccs posted:

I really like Pegasus in Hercules, as well as the horses in Sleeping Beauty, because they have some really good horseness. Also, Philippe in Beauty and the Beast is very horse, and specifically very draft horse. The whole horse-dog thing seems to have become a fad in the 2000s.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Isn't Pegasus kinda meant to be Hercules' dog, though? The bird stuff oddly helps balance his horsiness out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God dammit Jim Gaffigan is playing Van Helsing in Transylvania 3. I might have to watch it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No you don't. Just buy a Jim Gaffigan CD and play some Abbot and Costello meet X film on mute.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Maybe it's common knowledge in this thread, but I just learned that Miyazaki is working on yet another film. Is this the third time he's come out of self-proclaimed retirement?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/business/media/john-lasseter-leaves-disney.html

Lasseter's fuckin' outta here.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Maybe it's common knowledge in this thread, but I just learned that Miyazaki is working on yet another film. Is this the third time he's come out of self-proclaimed retirement?

Something like that. He also made a short film using mostly CG about a caterpillar. His draw-overs of what the CG animators had done was really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4-6YI04IiE

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also they added new anatomical features :ohdear:

She doesn't really have ears ever, just the implication of ears.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I seem to have misstepped into your bosom, madam says Jerry Lee Lasseter

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Good news he's out, it's infuriating how the writer downplayed all the allegations and reports, just "He made employees uncomfortable" and "was more domineering",

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I remember soon after the allegations I heard an NPR story that was basically "in the face of these allegations let's remind people of his history in the industry and of all the good he did" and it was like gently caress you NPR you're not supposed to suck quite this badly.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

glam rock hamhock posted:

"in the face of these allegations let's remind people of his history in the industry and of all the good he did"

good

loving hell, you act like he murdered somebody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Wulfolme posted:

good

loving hell, you act like he murdered somebody

Do you actually know that he didn't?