Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

gently caress the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SpacePig posted:

So do they not have dedicated animal control in Florida, or is throwing a gator in the back of a pickup regular police procedure there?

they do, i remember an episode of cops where some guy called the police to report a gator in his backyard. the cops called a gator man, who looked exactly what you would expect a guy who handles gators for a living to look like

the gator man showed up, assessed the situation, then got a long harness on a pole from his truck. the idea is to put it around the gator's neck so he could drag it from the backyard to an open area where it could be more easily restrained. one of the cops on the scene was utterly fascinated like a child and wanted to help the gator man. the gator man, again, being a sunburned gent from florida who handles gators for a living, could clearly barely tolerate the presence of the police. so there was a fun dynamic between this seething redneck trying to hog tie a gator and this panting grinning cop being all "wow! look at that! wow!"

i'd bet one of those cops has removed enough gators from people's yards to know how to handle one and just deal with it by tying it up and throwing it in a truck. or on second look, the guy who gets KOd is the gator man in a cop looking uniform and the two cops are just helping him lift

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Did these idiots not watch SWAMP PEOPLE?

gently caress, the tail is as dangerous as the head.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So what happens to the property owners if their entire lot is now under multiple feet of lava rock? I'm assuming in some cases they will have to do new surveys to even see where property lines were. But what then? Just build on top of it? I'm assuming the foundation would be rather expensive but I don't know what fresh lava rock can support, I assume there's various types and densities.

The answer is, volcano insurance pays out and now they own a couple acres of lava rock. Or you skipped the volcano insurance and now you own a couple acres of lava rock. There's no going back, there's no rebuilding, you just have to take a loss and rebuild your life somewhere else. Because even if you were mad enough to try, no one is going to rebuild roads and utilities out to a couple acres of lava rock.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
#NotAllCrocs
#GreenLivesMatter

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah i keep watching this and i'm pretty sure the guy with his hands near the gators mouth is a gator man, notice how he doesn't have any emblems or patches on his shirt sleeves like the cops. he's also not wearing a tool belt

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

boner confessor posted:

they do, i remember an episode of cops where some guy called the police to report a gator in his backyard. the cops called a gator man, who looked exactly what you would expect a guy who handles gators for a living to look like

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Those sunglasses on his head go flying. Does that mean he's dead, or is it only shoes that count?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

xergm posted:

Those sunglasses on his head go flying. Does that mean he's dead, or is it only shoes that count?
I think it's like a field goal in football. So he's about half dead, but if another accessory goes flying then he's effectively dead.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

SpacePig posted:

So do they not have dedicated animal control in Florida, or is throwing a gator in the back of a pickup regular police procedure there?

It depends on the county. Some like West Palm Beach just go ahead and crosstrain some of their cops for animal control stuff and they get sent out on the 'gator calls. My uncle is one of those cops, it was real useful for us the day my grandma had a rattlesnake right inside her front door. I grew up a bit further south and my county had it's own animal control department that would also subcontract out weirder things like a bigass gator to specialty companies (rednecks.) The last time I watched broadcast TV I found out that I grew up down the street from the house of one of the "Gator Boys."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Turns out the gator guy was straight up agitating the gator before the gif started:

https://twitter.com/nbc4i/status/1004708661690798080

This is righteous vengeance, if you ask me.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the one time i will say "go gators" without sarcasm

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
there's another gator in the truck lol

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SpacePig posted:

The guy that gets knocked out is not actually a cop, he's a private trapper they called and they usually hang around and help until it's under control.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HardDiskD posted:

Wasn't there an old geyser in Yellowstone that recently became active again?

I'm wondering if that geyser, the Guatemala eruption and the Hawaii eruption are connected in some way or if it was just a series of coincidences.

That’s Steamboat Geyser.

It’s always been irregular with eruptions.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

Turns out the gator guy was straight up agitating the gator before the gif started:

Part of it is him winding the thing up, but the other part is he just tosses the gator in. He would have been better served climbing on the truck or at least walking alongside the truck and letting go, because well, there's a truck bed wall there for cover.

"Florida Man does :effort: gets himself unconscious"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vargatron posted:

I feel so bad for those people that lost their homes. But what the gently caress can you even do vs. lava?

Has anyone tried standing in front of the lava flow and holding up a bible?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

boner confessor posted:

yeah i keep watching this and i'm pretty sure the guy with his hands near the gators mouth is a gator man, notice how he doesn't have any emblems or patches on his shirt sleeves like the cops. he's also not wearing a tool belt

He apparently missed the memo where gator's hate sunglasses worn on the top of your head.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Has anyone tried standing in front of the lava flow and holding up a bible?

Best I can do is "fighting a hurricane with prayer songs":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEiHNoxgKAE

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Breaking the “The guy without a shirt loses the fight” rule.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Platystemon posted:

That’s Steamboat Geyser.

It’s always been irregular with eruptions.

Same, but fiber cured everything.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So what happens to the property owners if their entire lot is now under multiple feet of lava rock? I'm assuming in some cases they will have to do new surveys to even see where property lines were. But what then? Just build on top of it? I'm assuming the foundation would be rather expensive but I don't know what fresh lava rock can support, I assume there's various types and densities.

Fresh lava rock can support basically nothing. You can't walk over it because it could crumble away at any moment. Also, it's jagged ʻAʻā and can destroy shoes and car tyres in the space of minutes.

rndmnmbr posted:

you just have to take a loss and rebuild your life somewhere else

Yup.

Give it a 20 or 30 thousand years and it will weather down to some very fertile volcanic soils though!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do they shoot it now or after they drive away from witnesses?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Trabant posted:

Best I can do is "fighting a hurricane with prayer songs":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEiHNoxgKAE

quote:

It's not about praying the storm away. It's about lifting your hands up in even during the confusion. It's about embracing the storm, and embracing that God is STILL the same loving God. Praying a storm away should never be your goal... In the eye of the storm, when everything seems hopeless... Is where Jesus stands WITH you. This is beautiful. "Christfags" as someone put it... It's not about thinking God is gonna see people singing make the storm go away. It's about refusing to turn our backs on him and letting him know he is STILL loved and praised by his people.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Trabant posted:

I think they do that to wear the gator out so it won't fight so much. Maybe he needed to aggravate it more.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Breaking the “The guy without a shirt loses the fight” rule.

Nah, other guy was wearing a gatorskin vest(jacket?)

Memento posted:

Give it a 20 or 30 thousand years and it will weather down to some very fertile volcanic soils though!

Any way to artificially speed up the weathering process? Or is it a matter of environmental biology just as much as geological weathering?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mistle posted:

Any way to artificially speed up the weathering process? Or is it a matter of environmental biology just as much as geological weathering?

I honestly don't even know where you'd start to try and speed it up. It's a combination of chemical and mechanical weathering (oxidation of minerals + wind/rain to pick them apart as they become friable) that just takes time.

Maybe you could dump a bunch of acid on it to kickstart the chemical side of it, but that seems like it might come with a host of its own problems.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
drive over it with a front end loader or something

nothing bad could come of this

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure if I had a volcano nearby, I'd be throwing stuff into it to see what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R5Qm2A0bO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9f6oaiQ5gA

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Say Nothing posted:

Pretty sure if I had a volcano nearby, I'd be throwing stuff into it to see what happens.

:same:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Good door.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Say Nothing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R5Qm2A0bO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9f6oaiQ5gA

Otherwise, what would be the point of having one?

coke
Jul 12, 2009

lol the croc probably wouldn't have reacted so violently if they put the croc down more gently instead of slamming it onto the truck bed

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Backdraft was a documentary and the events happened in real time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trabant posted:

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1004363530076934144

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mistle posted:

Any way to artificially speed up the weathering process?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Memento posted:

I honestly don't even know where you'd start to try and speed it up. It's a combination of chemical and mechanical weathering (oxidation of minerals + wind/rain to pick them apart as they become friable) that just takes time.

Maybe you could dump a bunch of acid on it to kickstart the chemical side of it, but that seems like it might come with a host of its own problems.

Surtsey was part of the seafloor until the 1960s eruption and it already has vegetation with zero human intervention.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mistle posted:

Step 1 - Turn off the active volcano so it stops adding new layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

The Locator posted:

Step 1 - Turn off the active volcano so it stops adding new layers.

Dynamite lava canals. Send the lava where there's nothing worth worrying about. Utah, possibly.