Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Is that Texas last night? I was watching that on GOES-16 and holy poo poo it was a thunderstorm covering the entire state of texas, and then crashing into another huge thunderstorm travelling west. I've never seen anything like it.

E: :stonk:

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

KodiakRS posted:

The next time dispatch wonders why I want enough fuel to go around the line of thunderstorms instead of sneaking through a gap I'm just going to show them these two pictures from last night:

How scary was this?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How scary was this?

There’s a video of the pilots answering questions about it to the pax, I refuse to watch it because the cringe would just be unbearable.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How scary was this?

I probably should have clarified my post, it wasn't me or even my airline. Having said that it was probably terrifying.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
I'm all for applauding the crew for doing a remarkable job landing that plane safely but can we agree to be at least a little critical of their decision to fly through that poo poo in the first place?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Two Kings posted:

I'm all for applauding the crew for doing a remarkable job landing that plane safely but can we agree to be at least a little critical of their decision to fly through that poo poo in the first place?

exactly

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

The next time dispatch wonders why I want enough fuel to go around the line of thunderstorms instead of sneaking through a gap I'm just going to show them these two pictures from last night:

Edit: Just to clarify neither I, nor the airline I work for, were involved in this flight.

Flew over that weather earlier in the day at FL360. It was still building pretty good when we went over.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I soloed a Harrier this week. Fun times!

I guess I should also update my location to KNKT in the OP.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s so cool. Also NC pilots represent.

Starting DA50 school next week. Just got my airline and hotel booked. Im always excited for school until I’m abruptly not.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Might as well throw my hat in here, too: USA - Rotary ASEL COMM IR, CFI/II once I bother filing the paperwork, military quals no one cares about, AH-1W and AH-1Z.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

overdesigned posted:

I soloed a Harrier this week. Fun times!

I guess I should also update my location to KNKT in the OP.

Awesome. Can you answer a question that has come up through the DCS flight simulator discussion?

It looks like the amphibious assault ships that launch Harriers haven't got any arresting gear. What would you do if you were returning to the carrier and your nozzles got jammed in the forward position, while you were out of range of any land airfields?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

Awesome. Can you answer a question that has come up through the DCS flight simulator discussion?

It looks like the amphibious assault ships that launch Harriers haven't got any arresting gear. What would you do if you were returning to the carrier and your nozzles got jammed in the forward position, while you were out of range of any land airfields?
Yeah you're gonna have to just get out of the jet at that point. Landing afloat with nozzles at anything other than the hoverstop is pretty much a no go. The good news is that the nozzle drive system is pretty robust and I'm not aware of any actual failures of it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did the flightsim thread find this? https://info.publicintelligence.net/AV-8B-000.pdf

quote:

7.6.7 Conventional Landing
A standard CL, Figure 7-7, requires substantially greater distance to stop than a SL or RVL. Landing distance
available is a critical consideration when performing a CL. The brakes are designed primarily for V/STOL and are
marginal for a CL without PNB (sic: power nozzle braking); therefore, No PNB CLs should be used only as an emergency procedure. Refer to
Performance Data, A1--AV8BB--NFM--400, for stopping distance with and without PNB.

Your brakes can't be used above 60 knots? Those nozzles better work or even conventional landings sound "exciting"!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah we're big on slow-down-then-land, not so much on land-then-slow-down. The brakes WORK, they just aren't good at taking a lot of energy without, you know, burning.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Does the Harrier have a brake on the nose gear, or just the main?

Also, is differential braking any good in the real jet? In DCS it actually works ok, which is astonishing.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It does not, and there isn't any differential braking in the real jet since the outriggers don't have brakes either.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

overdesigned posted:

It does not, and there isn't any differential braking in the real jet since the outriggers don't have brakes either.

Both pedals apply the rear main brake, then? Are they tied together, or separate?

Thanks for answering questions, btw.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Both pedals apply the rear main brake, then? Are they tied together, or separate?

Thanks for answering questions, btw.

quote:

2.17.6 Brake System
The twin--wheel main landing gear is equipped with hydraulic operated carbon disc brakes. An antiskid system and
parking brake are also incorporated into the brake system. Both brakes operate simultaneously and progressively as
either brake pedal is depressed

Weird that DCS doesn't model that, they're usually real sticklers on that kind of detail.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Each brake pedal moves independently of the other and either will actuate the brakes on the main wheels, yeah. Common early student error, not that *I* would ever have done this, is to try to differential brake because it feels like you should be able to. Trust me, you cannot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Along the same lines, is it not slightly worrying to fly something which has:

quote:

Landing with the engine inoperative shall not be attempted.

In the manual?

Or is it liberating for the engine out procedure to be “eject”

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
This reminds me of a somewhat related question that I had but I've never seen answered... For conventional multi engine carrier airplanes, do they do single engine landings on the carrier or is the blue water single engine procedure to eject?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I remember a story from a hornet pilot who lost an engine on take off from the carrier, he landed it back on the boat iirc.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

vessbot posted:

This reminds me of a somewhat related question that I had but I've never seen answered... For conventional multi engine carrier airplanes, do they do single engine landings on the carrier or is the blue water single engine procedure to eject?

I mean I'm not a hornet guy but I'm pretty sure they can do it, yeah. Just dump down until you're light enough that it's not horribly unsafe. If you're a E2/C2 maybe (probably) there are directional control issues and they'd just ditch, but I dunno.

Also re: "do not land with engine inop" this thing (and all tactical jets, really) is, like...a brick. Deadsticking it in is a dumb idea.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Aren't Hornets essentially centerline thrust anyway? The engines are so damned close together.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

overdesigned posted:

I mean I'm not a hornet guy but I'm pretty sure they can do it, yeah. Just dump down until you're light enough that it's not horribly unsafe. If you're a E2/C2 maybe (probably) there are directional control issues and they'd just ditch, but I dunno.

Also re: "do not land with engine inop" this thing (and all tactical jets, really) is, like...a brick. Deadsticking it in is a dumb idea.

You can find recordings of F-16 dead stick landings on youtube. Even the century series fighters successfully did flameout approaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0DdpC7GV3A

For the F-104 though you needed a little bit more altitude. Yes that says 15,000 AGL for the high key.

I'm guessing in a harrier even if you could do the approach you couldn't actually stop on the runway!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, that's what they have those volleyball net barriers for, right? :jeb:

A thought: those barriers are what Navy carriers use to recover jets that have busted arresting gear. Why would the Marines just have the Harrier pilot punch out instead of installing barriers on their own ships?

Also, can the Marines do buddy refueling? Assuming there was nothing else wrong with the plane, would they send up tankers to try and get you to shore?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

You can find recordings of F-16 dead stick landings on youtube. Even the century series fighters successfully did flameout approaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0DdpC7GV3A

For the F-104 though you needed a little bit more altitude. Yes that says 15,000 AGL for the high key.

I'm guessing in a harrier even if you could do the approach you couldn't actually stop on the runway!

We have garbage brakes and no drag chute soooooo

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Well, that's what they have those volleyball net barriers for, right? :jeb:

A thought: those barriers are what Navy carriers use to recover jets that have busted arresting gear. Why would the Marines just have the Harrier pilot punch out instead of installing barriers on their own ships?

Also, can the Marines do buddy refueling? Assuming there was nothing else wrong with the plane, would they send up tankers to try and get you to shore?

To be clear, the amphibs that the Marines typically base off of are still Navy ships; the Marines are just riding in them, as any grumpy CAPT will no doubt be pleased to remind you.

Amphibs are quite a bit smaller than their big-deck counterparts, with about 200' less of deck space, depending on which boats you're comparing. Combine the shorter (and narrower) deck with reduced capabilities in terms of fire fighting and general poo poo-handling, and the decision matrix on when to punch out vs when to try for an iffy landing are a bit different. Even on a CVN, a barricade stop is an iffy thing.

You can't use a Harrier as a fuel source, no. But they are compatible with the Navy's general inventory of refueling aircraft, so if one is available that you can pull over in time, sure. But considering tactical jet flight times are calculated in minutes thanks to their hilarious burn rates, the chances of being able to get a tanker up there in time is pretty much zero.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I take back my previous comments about military aviation being boring, this discussion is actually really fascinating. I wish there were more of these discussions, about the task of actually flying the airplanes, rather than circlejerking over identifying obscure old planes and stuff like that :v:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

PT6A posted:

I take back my previous comments about military aviation being boring

To be fair, military aviation for anyone flying anything starting with a "C" is typically rather boring, as is most flying for anything starting with a "P" and a lot of those "U" guys, too. I mean, flying around a C-5 is not too conceptually different than flying any other large cargo craft, except you have more people harassing you about your 1.5-mile run time and get paid less.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Ah, holy poo poo those warnings.

"It is imperative that the landing gear remain retracted until after the flare has been started otherwise the rate of descent will be increased from approximately 7,000 fpm to approximately 11,000fpm..."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Somehow that approach was flown too!

Thats why I was surprised that the official procedure for a flameout landing for any aircraft ever would be "don't"

(I mean other than engine out procedures being something you spend a lot of time on when learning to fly)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Overdesigned, congrats on the solo! Never, ever, ever go on a MEU (aka on the amphibious ships).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Overdesigned, congrats on the solo! Never, ever, ever go on a MEU* (aka on the amphibious ships).

*Unless it's a Med float. Those are kinda cool.

But, yeah, no one wants anything to do with Marine air anywhere in PACOM, so, uh, do not recommend.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats why I was surprised that the official procedure for a flameout landing for any aircraft ever would be "don't"

I've read the MiG-21 flight manual a few years ago, the phrase "cut throttle, disengage fuel pumps, and vacate the vehicle immediately" pops up on several occasions, including the "failure to restart engine in flight" section, it owns. :v:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DrDork posted:

Might as well throw my hat in here, too: USA - Rotary ASEL COMM IR, CFI/II once I bother filing the paperwork, military quals no one cares about, AH-1W and AH-1Z.

While OP is updating, my former CFI offered me an IPC on the sim and so I jumped at the chance and also, after struggling to get my password reset through FAASafety.gov for the online course (fill out your security questions), done got my Remote Pilot Certificate.

CBJSprague24 = USA - Ohio - ASEL PP IR AGI (Private 141, Instrument 61), Remote Pilot

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What kind of simulator for the IPC?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Truga posted:

I've read the MiG-21 flight manual a few years ago, the phrase "cut throttle, disengage fuel pumps, and vacate the vehicle immediately" pops up on several occasions, including the "failure to restart engine in flight" section, it owns. :v:

I'm always a fan of the manuals that include long, complex EPs where the general consensus is that their entire rationale for inclusion in the manual at all is just to give the pilots something to do while they plummet to their inevitable death. These are, of course, far more common in helicopters than in anything with an ejection seat :shobon:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My favorite procedure is still the STCed EFB we put in our DC-10s right before the bankruptcy. In the emergency checklist was:

“In the event of an EFB fire, don the fire retardant gloves, remove the EFB from its mount, and stow in the lavatory toilet.”

So if the EFB caught fire, you were supposed to get an oven glove from the FE’s desk, unhook the thing, and flush it down the toilet.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Captain Apollo posted:

What kind of simulator for the IPC?

The Redbird belonging to the college I work for. The thing is pretty amazing. It's got motion capability but I decided to do it without because I feel weird when I fly it with the motion.

When I got my aviation degree from the school, the primary trainer for Instrument was a GAT II (we still have it, but it's mainly used for a spatial disorientation class now because it has 360 degrees of motion). I have 10 hours in it, but this blows it out of the water.

e- This'n: https://simulators.redbirdflight.com/products/fmx

e2- That was my first logbook entry since November 16, 2012. 2,027 days. :stonk:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 8, 2018