Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If I were a young mechanic I would suggest a different profession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Pretty sad for a country that loves cars so much, to dismiss a whole profession as an unviable career path.

Hopefully the trade schools over here are picking up on it and including EV stuff in the car mechanic syllabus. In the big picture EV repair and maintenance will be pretty similar to ICE. Bodywork, accessories, AC, brakes, final drive, suspension, alignment, interior, glass and more. And of course, the basics: Read error code, consult manufacturer manual, replace part as instructed.

It would be nice to run an EV-only garage, no fume hoods, no (or a lot less) oil handling and spills, much less noise. Since you don't need to warm up and drain the oil, a mechanic could probably get through a car or two more in a day of regular servicing.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

It's lovely work, but you're fooling yourself if you think mechanics for ICE, hybrid, and diesel won't have work for a decade or two. Not to mention those skills transfer over to other machinery.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Hopefully the trade schools over here are picking up on it and including EV stuff in the car mechanic syllabus. In the big picture EV repair and maintenance will be pretty similar to ICE. Bodywork, accessories, AC, brakes, final drive, suspension, alignment, interior, glass and more. And of course, the basics: Read error code, consult manufacturer manual, replace part as instructed.

I agree: the profession will always be here because we haven’t yet found a way to make cars solid-state flying machines. Also (at least in the US), Americans’ knowledge of their cars and how they work is staggeringly, hilariously bad, so you’re always going to need the person who says “Sir, it was a bad idea to strap a tow hook to your bumper fascia”.

I’m not a mechanic, but I thought the lovely part of the job is generally because most dealerships are paying them their mechanics standard rates per job that are unrealistically low. You gotta love a system where good mechanics who take their time and make things right get terrible pay while the guy who hangs a transmission flusher on the lower control arms and makes wooshing noises with his mouth gets the money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
turning a wrench will still be a good career it just won't be on cars

the outlook for ICE car techs is not so bad, UIO base is going to still be above 50% ICE for the next thirty years. its just dealers are totally noncompetitive and their share is warranty and immediate post warranty customer pay, which is going to be the earliest poo poo to dry up

EV causes a move to replace rather than repair and takes the number of powertrain components way down

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ola posted:

Pretty sad for a country that loves cars so much, to dismiss a whole profession as an unviable career path.

It's not so much the profession, but the asshats who employ the profession making it unviable as a living.

Ripoff posted:

I agree: the profession will always be here because we haven’t yet found a way to make cars solid-state flying machines. Also (at least in the US), Americans’ knowledge of their cars and how they work is staggeringly, hilariously bad, so you’re always going to need the person who says “Sir, it was a bad idea to strap a tow hook to your bumper fascia”.

I’m not a mechanic, but I thought the lovely part of the job is generally because most dealerships are paying them their mechanics standard rates per job that are unrealistically low. You gotta love a system where good mechanics who take their time and make things right get terrible pay while the guy who hangs a transmission flusher on the lower control arms and makes wooshing noises with his mouth gets the money.

Yeah, that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

quote:

If you live in Texas and listen to our radio show, there's a good chance you or someone you know is a career employee of the energy industry. If you've made a career out of working in the oil and gas field, we don't blame you. Even at times when the industry has been at a low (which it recently was) it's still a highly profitable field filled with promising job opportunities. Plus, you get to play with cool machines and stuff!

According to most reports, almost a half a million Texans have jobs specifically in the oil and gas industry and even more work in the general energy industry or related fields. Since Houston, the biggest city in Texas, is considered the energy capitol of the world, that's a heck of a lotta employees who own at least one pair of cowboy boots! And considering how much money this state generates from petroleum, you'd think we'd want to do anything we can to help allow that industry to flourish.

But if you thought that, you'd be wrong.

From the news bin of information that doesn't make any sense, we've just learned Texas is currently taking applications for a $2,500 incentive to buy electric and hybrid vehicles. The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has a new program (approved last year) which is intended to promote the use of cars that aren't gasoline fueled. If you own an electric or hybrid vehicle, the state will cut you a check up to $5000 for eligible candidates.

In 2001, the Texas Legislature created the Texas Emissions Reduction Plan, or TERP. The purpose of TERP was to reduce smog and other air pollution to improve health conditions for Texans. Under TERP, the State granted the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) the ability to set speed limits on Texas highways, and toss out money to people to buy electric cars. This is why people in Houston can’t drive 75 between Mont Belvieu and Beaumont—it’s an area that needs to reduce emissions. And this is why, periodically, the TECQ will hand out $5000 to people to purchase that cool new Volt or Tesla.

Remember folks, these are electric cars that are already subsidized by federal tax dollars.

Since 2001, the State of Texas has disbursed over a billion (maybe closer to $2 billion) of your tax dollars to “encourage owners of construction equipment, marine vessels and locomotives, to replace their dirty, older heavy-duty diesel engines with new ones to cut down smog-creating pollution in 40-odd counties whose air quality is in danger of running afoul of federal standards.” This is the main reason the TERP program was created in the first place—Texas didn’t want the EPA mandating air quality standards, which would hurt the oil and gas business.

So now the state of Texas gives out incentives to not support our state's biggest industry? Smart.

In addition to replacing all the old diesel engines, other people are encouraged through incentives to give up their gasoline powered vehicles and explore the fun and excitement found in electric vehicles.

By fun and excitement, I mean higher electric bills, cars that don’t have a terribly long driving range, and the problems with disposing of those batteries. The fines for improper disposal would shock you. But don’t worry, even if you put the batteries in an approved disposal location, they’ll get shipped to places like China and the Philippines where kids will be employed to take them apart and get exposed to all the heavy metals.

Oh, and don’t forget the kids in the Congo who are the ones mining the lithium and cobalt to make all those fancy batteries.

Gosh, this sounds like a great plan! Even though it’s probably un-American, right?

Even still, some environmentalists will argue that cleaning the air is more important than helping the Texas economy (or not helping child labor advocates in China). They will tell you this policy is going to save the Earth and keep the oceans from rising and make unicorns fart out magical fairy dust that helps fix the hole in the ozone-layer. But are they right?

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: it's actually very possible that electric vehicles are worse for the environment than your gas-guzzling Ford F150. The U.S. Energy Information Administration’s recent long-term forecasts for the number of electric vehicles through 2050 estimates how much electricity they use when placed out on the roads. They also studied how much pollution the electricity from those vehicles would generate. If you look at three of the main pollutants regulated under the U.S. Clean Air Act (sulfur dioxide, oxides of nitrogen, and particulates including CO2 emissions), you get some pretty alarming news from your so-called green-vehicle. The widespread purchasing of new electric vehicles nationwide will more than likely increase air pollution when compared side-by-side with new gas-fueled vehicles. Folks, argue with me if you want, but the overwhelming amount of evidence suggests more electric cars and trucks will actually mean more pollution when compared with the emissions of internal-combustion vehicles (which means they're powered by gas). If you want to help the environment, the new gas-fueled cars are probably a better purchasing choice than the new hybrid and electric cars that are currently on the market.

Similarly, if you want to help the Texas economy, buying a gas-fueled vehicle is clearly a better choice.

So, we know that the air’s not going to get any cleaner with this program. But, it’s not a bad program, is it?

TERP has a couple of huge glaring problems. The first is fraud. One of the conditions of a TERP grant is that the owner of the old vehicle has to ensure that this vehicle is destroyed (sent to the crusher). Except, it seems that a lot of TERP grantees are taking the money, buying a new vehicle AND re-registering the old vehicle. Great. They used your tax dollars to buy a new car. This is better than Oprah!

However, if the state catches you doing this, you might get up to 5 years sitting in the pokey.

The second problem is that lack of popularity. Every so often, TCEQ has to remind Texans that they can get money for electric cars. And this is now becoming a welfare program for the affluent.

Do you know what the profile of the average electric/hybrid car buyer looks like? Let’s take a look at the Ford Focus and the Fiat 500 because those cars come in a conventional (gas powered) and electric version. Thanks to TrueCar.com for these figures.

The average gas-powered Ford Focus buyer is 46 years old and has a household income of $77,000. The average electric Ford Focus buyer is 43 years old and has a household income of $199,000. Yep. The average household income for an electric Ford Focus buyer is 2.5 times HIGHER than the gas-powered one.

The same holds true for a Fiat 500. The gas-powered 500 buyer has a household income of $73,000. The electric buyer brings home around $145,000.

Other studies have shown that the electric or hybrid car is generally the third car in peoples’ garages, sitting behind a Mercedes or a Lexus.

Guess what? Giving people incentives to buy electric vehicles does not make them give up their gas & diesel-powered ones!

And the people most likely to buy these things in the first place, are probably the ones who can afford them without incentives.

I guess what I'm saying is: paying people to drive electric vehicles is a crap idea orchestrated by lawmakers and bureaucrats who have no idea what they're saying. It's the sort of thing you'd expect from California or New York, but now Texas has been sucked up into this absurd way of thinking with a self-destructive policy that won't do anything to help our state or the air we breathe. Just say no to liberalism.

:allears:

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Grandpa, I asked you not to forward me these emails anymore.

- "This is better than Oprah!"

- "kids in the Congo who are the ones mining the lithium and cobalt"

- "This is why people in Houston can’t drive 75 between Mont Belvieu and Beaumont"

- "very possible that electric vehicles are worse for the environment than your gas-guzzling Ford F150"

- "sort of thing you'd expect from California or New York...."

- "Texas didn’t want the EPA mandating air quality standards"

- "disposing of those batteries. The fines for improper disposal would shock you."

- "widespread purchasing of new electric vehicles nationwide will more than likely increase air pollution when compared side-by-side with new gas-fueled vehicles"

Yep, it sure is going to suck when I have to change the battery in my Tesla. They sure did cover a lot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I love how all the critics of EVs come down with this sudden, acute case of pretending to give a poo poo about Congolese minor miners, and think that this is some sort of bulletproof argument instead of the utterly transparent, self serving load of bullshit that it actually is.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

I love how all the critics of EVs come down with this sudden, acute case of pretending to give a poo poo about Congolese minor miners, and think that this is some sort of bulletproof argument instead of the utterly transparent, self serving load of bullshit that it actually is.

Never mind that for decades before Tesla Motors was founded, minerals dug up by kids like them has been finding its way into pretty much every electronic device on the market.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's not worth arguing with people pretending to care about that. Just say "oh well at least I don't have to buy gas" and move on. They don't really care, so there's no place to go once you claim not to.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You'd think if they were concerned about the fossil fuel sector, they'd be saying "let's build more power plants to generate power for these EVs". Power is power, whether it's generated on-site or remotely.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You'd think if they were concerned about the fossil fuel sector, they'd be saying "let's build more power plants to generate power for these EVs". Power is power, whether it's generated on-site or remotely.
Delightful - until you said this I hadn't noticed that their argument included both "electric cars will produce more pollution" and "electric cars will reduce local employment because they reduce consumption" at the same time.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
The funniest thing about those anti-EV screeds is that they always ignore the same two things: there’s 30.4 kWh of energy in a US gallon of gasoline and it actually takes electricity to make gasoline.

I love explaining to folks that the i3 goes 70-something miles on what works out to be a little over a half-gallon of “gas” and that if you look at the Bolt or Model 3 they’re going 200-300 miles on the same energy as 2-3 US gallons. The Zero gets some wild MPG calculations this way that make 50cc scooters call it a tree-humping hippie. :v:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ripoff posted:

The funniest thing about those anti-EV screeds is that they always ignore the same two things: there’s 30.4 kWh of energy in a US gallon of gasoline and it actually takes electricity to make gasoline.

I love explaining to folks that the i3 goes 70-something miles on what works out to be a little over a half-gallon of “gas” and that if you look at the Bolt or Model 3 they’re going 200-300 miles on the same energy as 2-3 US gallons. The Zero gets some wild MPG calculations this way that make 50cc scooters call it a tree-humping hippie. :v:

Be careful though. If you’re going off of Musk’s calculation on that, it’s complete bullshit.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Chances of that being written on a device powered by lithium-based batteries / having tantalum capacitors / other probable conflict mineral approach 1.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Agronox posted:

Be careful though. If you’re going off of Musk’s calculation on that, it’s complete bullshit.

Musk’s “you can power an electric car on the energy needed to create a gallon of gas” is bullshit, you’re absolutely right. The fact that a gallon of gas has the same thermal energy potential as 30.4 30.7kWh is straight from the Department of Energy. (That link’s a PDF by the way).

The interesting thing to me is that I understand most gas/coal power plants take time to spool down or speed up their generators and that they create a lot of unnecessary juice at night, and it’s why GA Power offers you discounted rates at night if you agree to take a huge cost increase during the most stressful hours on a plant, which is summer afternoons when people are using the A/C at home. If we’re arguably burning those fossil fuels at night because slowing down a plant is impractical why not take advantage of the emissions and “fill” your car up?

This is why I just get bent when people release those “oh an EV makes emissions as bad as a car that gets X mpg” thing when the reality is that most EVs charge at night on the power that would be generated (and emissions created) if we needed it or not. Commercial transport vehicles probably will create the demand for those extra emissions, but not the Smith’s Leaf down the street.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
One thing I'm curious about is the energy inherent in producing an EV vs. that inherent in producing an ICE vehicle. How intensive are our methods for purifying lithium, for example?

To some extent you can use cost as a proxy for embodied energy, and by that metric, EVs are substantially more energy-intensive to produce than ICE cars. But that's a very crude rule of thumb.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ripoff posted:

most EVs charge at night on the power that would be generated (and emissions created) if we needed it or not.

That only works when there are few EVs. When most people have them, the load at night will be higher. That said, it's true that EVs are more efficient than fossils, but you can't get more energy out of a gallon of gas by converting it to electricity, because you run into the same efficiency problems before you even convert.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ola posted:

That only works when there are few EVs. When most people have them, the load at night will be higher. That said, it's true that EVs are more efficient than fossils, but you can't get more energy out of a gallon of gas by converting it to electricity, because you run into the same efficiency problems before you even convert.

I was trying to find some information on the relative efficiency of a steam-turbine power plant versus a standard internal combustion engine and holy poo poo are the numbers all over the place. I was under the impression that the relative size, etc of a power plant allows them to engineer in better ways to harvest the power potential of their fuels. Numbers are varying between 48% Carnot cycle efficiency and 79% depending on who’s paper you’re reading. :psyduck:

Yeah, if power plants are barely more efficient than a standard Otto- or Atkinson-cycle car engine then it’s six in one, half-dozen in the other at that point.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You don't need to use facts when arguing with an anti EV coal rolling knuckle dragger. You win when they say you are gay and sulk off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There are always going to be efficiencies of scale from using power plants instead of thousands of distributed small ICEs. Stuff like carbon capture and storage, other pollutant capture, making use of waste heat, etc. are all a lot cheaper to implement at scale than at the level of individual vehicles.

Plus, y'know, power plants produce smog where people aren't, as a general rule. If you look at pollution maps right now, there are noticeable spikes along major transit corridors, which will be moved to much less people-impacting locations when EVs take over.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ripoff posted:

Yeah, if power plants are barely more efficient than a standard Otto- or Atkinson-cycle car engine then it’s six in one, half-dozen in the other at that point.

Not fully though.

Waste heat from power plants can be utilized for other uses such as cogeneration or trigeneration.

You can also have much tighter control on emissions by having them concentrated in an much easier to regulate space.

No one gets to roll coal if they are driving an electric truck and the power plants (under functioning EPA mind you) will have to take on standard emission mitigations.

So, there are advantages beyond the pure efficiency of combustion.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

No one gets to roll coal if they are driving an electric truck and the power plants (under functioning EPA mind you) will have to take on standard emission mitigations.

You say that like people won't mod EVs to spew gigantic clouds of black smoke on command. Sure they have to add a completely vestigial engine and exhaust system, but that's sure as hell not going to stop them.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The 70s efficiency number is probably "apart from those other inefficiencies we can't do anything about".

Even if you convert pretty well, you take a another hit from transmission losses.

Yes, you can use waste heat for other things. That is good, no ifs or buts. Over here, we have trash incinerators which send heat to various public buildings and private condos.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You say that like people won't mod EVs to spew gigantic clouds of black smoke on command. Sure they have to add a completely vestigial engine and exhaust system, but that's sure as hell not going to stop them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZZSmFev0Zk

Most of these highend vap devices already use 18650 cells, so no problem. I guess the smoke will be white and not really smoke, just water vapor.... but heck diesel isn't coal anyway so who cares. Green coal rolling.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think ~63% efficiency is the record for a combustion power plant (combined cycle gas turbine) in electricity generation. A large diesel generators get up to 51%. F1 engines can also hit this in optimal conditions. Good modern, boiler - steam turbine power plants tend to peak around 48%. Of course if the waste heat can be used for example district heating the overall efficiency can be very high. I think passenger car diesels can reach up to 40% and gas engines 30-35%.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZZSmFev0Zk

Most of these highend vap devices already use 18650 cells, so no problem. I guess the smoke will be white and not really smoke, just water vapor.... but heck diesel isn't coal anyway so who cares. Green coal rolling.

That would be pretty funny as retaliation to some bro rolling coal on your electric. Next lights just leave him in a huge loving fruity fog of PG.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Need some Grande Baleine scale hydro, and some nukes.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Ola posted:

In many states they could absorb excess solar power during the day (aka duck curve distribution)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

a huge loving fruity fog of PG.

Please don’t post my stage name at Swingin’ Richard’s

DoLittle posted:

I think ~63% efficiency is the record for a combustion power plant (combined cycle gas turbine) in electricity generation. A large diesel generators get up to 51%. F1 engines can also hit this in optimal conditions. Good modern, boiler - steam turbine power plants tend to peak around 48%. Of course if the waste heat can be used for example district heating the overall efficiency can be very high. I think passenger car diesels can reach up to 40% and gas engines 30-35%.

Ok, this falls more in line with what I was told. So there’s a little efficiency to gain there if you were burning like-for-like gasoline. Being that a sizable chunk of those power plants burn coal, there’s a point for ICE motors there from a pollution standpoint (unless the EPA gets off it’s collective dead rear end and enforces emissions for power plants). However, as everyone else mentioned, when we move to solar and wind down the line the pollution thing swings back to EVs again.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ripoff posted:

Musk’s “you can power an electric car on the energy needed to create a gallon of gas” is bullshit, you’re absolutely right.

For sure it takes electricity to harvest and refine oil. Question is how much? Musk said 5kWh per us gallon of gas, it's not clear to me what the real number is.

Here is one of the better breakdowns I found:

https://greentransportation.info/energy-transportation/gasoline-costs-6kwh.html

They sort of settle on 6kWh but take into consideration the whole ecosystem of fossil fuels, not just refinery electricity consumption. So, it's somewhere between .2 kWh* and 12kWh. I never felt like I got a satisfying real number, but 4-6 does not seem outside the realm of possibility when looking at the entire fossil fuel extraction economy.

Does anyone in this thread have better resources? Pretty much all the sources on the internet are bias pretty hard on one side or the other.

* https://www.cfr.org/blog/do-gasoline-based-cars-really-use-more-electricity-electric-vehicles-do

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
Oh, and I got my Model 3 this week. Car is in great shape, delivery was relatively uneventful and the car is awesome. Loving the tablet / missing gauges already, it's perfectly natural.

I'm not sure what to say that the others owners in this thread have not already covered, it is a pretty sweet ride. I'll hopefully have something more useful after a few weeks of driving around.

I have given 8 test drives in 3 days already, almost everyone who asks for a ride I make drive it (people I know, not strangers. teenagers excluded so far) IDK why, it's pretty crazy considering the cost of the thing and the fact that it is the first new car I have ever owned. I'm guess I'm becoming a EV / Tesla evangelist.

Everyone who drives it has the same reaction when I tell them to stomp the "gas" :getin: I keep saying gas peddle or even throttle. Accelerator ACCELERATOR!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ripoff posted:

Ok, this falls more in line with what I was told. So there’s a little efficiency to gain there if you were burning like-for-like gasoline. Being that a sizable chunk of those power plants burn coal, there’s a point for ICE motors there from a pollution standpoint (unless the EPA gets off it’s collective dead rear end and enforces emissions for power plants). However, as everyone else mentioned, when we move to solar and wind down the line the pollution thing swings back to EVs again.

When you are comparing engine efficience you must forget about the 30% value, because ICE motors achieve that around 1/3rd of max RPM and 2/3rd of full throttle. You can't use a normal car like that. If you want to run your car at peak efficiency your would have to start around 1500 RPM, do a powerful acceleration until you reach 2500 RPM, turn off your engine and coast until you reach the speed corresponding to 1500RPM. And then repeat until you reach your destination. Or maybe you could get close to the peak efficiency if you drive a Bugatti Veyron at 200 km/h. To drive at 100 km/h with peak efficiency would require a car equipped with a 500 cc bike engine, and not a powerful one.

That is the real advantage a generator. You figure out what is the peak efficiency for a gas turbine and then you running it at that all the time, because that is the cheapest way to produce electricity.

Some efficiency graphs. DEUTZ BF8L513C Diesel, Saturn 1.9L, Saturn 1.9L, Some made up graph

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
Home charging station complete.

Yes, I am a 12 year old boy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You misspelled jiggawatt.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Saukkis posted:

When you are comparing engine efficience you must forget about the 30% value, because ICE motors achieve that around 1/3rd of max RPM and 2/3rd of full throttle. You can't use a normal car like that. If you want to run your car at peak efficiency your would have to start around 1500 RPM, do a powerful acceleration until you reach 2500 RPM, turn off your engine and coast until you reach the speed corresponding to 1500RPM. And then repeat until you reach your destination. Or maybe you could get close to the peak efficiency if you drive a Bugatti Veyron at 200 km/h. To drive at 100 km/h with peak efficiency would require a car equipped with a 500 cc bike engine, and not a powerful one.

This is true and also the motivation for the 9 speed transmissions and cylinder deactivation seen in modern cars. So the overall efficiency has improved quite a bit and is closer to the peak values. I don't have numbers though and it probably is quite sensitive to driving style.

At the other end in power plant scale the peak electricity generation efficiency is not really the whole story either. A modern fluidized bed boiler CHP (combined heat and power) plant is not very picky about the quality of fuel and can run on different types of waste streams. The heat can be used for district heating or on process industry. The overall efficiency is very high (>90%) and fuel can be something would need processing anyway or would decompose to CO2 regardless if it is used to generate power or not.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ok that clears things up a lot re: efficiencies of large generators vs. ICEs. I was reading through the discussion thinking 'there's something missing here...' and of course it was the nature of usage of the different machines.

spandexcajun posted:

I'm not sure what to say that the others owners in this thread have not already covered, it is a pretty sweet ride. I'll hopefully have something more useful after a few weeks of driving around.
Yeah please do!

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I think one of the key things for me regarding the Tesla is I haven't heard a single "after driving it, this car sucks" report. Plenty of reviewers have minor issues, and plenty of bitching from people who have never driven one, but every single report from actual drivers is positive.

• Locked thread