Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

ConanThe3rd posted:

Eh, I lost interest when it was clear that the author was going to drone on In intricate detail about Oliver's past when the core of the information (IE: There was a big todo in the space station he was in, he's apparently the only survivor and he's connecting to a robot somehow) was there and there was some interesting stuff with not-weyland-yutani being cockend central about to go down.

Not the first webtoon to do that ether, fuckin' Girls of the Wilds.

...I mean, they also started shooting at the redhead with synesthesia, and she tossed an assassin robot out a window somehow. That's not explained yet. Aliens have gotten involved... And yes, there was way too much detail about Oliver's life on that generation ship.

Also, Harpy Gee is going on hiatus until the end of the year after the end of this chapter, which is... a thing. Not happy, but it's not like I can stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not the first webtoon to do that ether, fuckin' Girls of the Wilds.

I liked it okay, but Girls of the Wilds would have been more fun if it was about the girls fightin.'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alt-text on comics was a cute idea before people wanted to read on tablets. :argh:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

you think the kid this comic is about is in limbo or did god grant him pardon because he was the star of a poplar meme

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that babys soul is fuckin nailed to the floor of cocytus w a rail spike

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, that story about the CAD 'found comic led me to Behind You. Which I think is pretty good.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aye, behind yous p neat

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ive never really thought of it as a webcomic for some reason though

do gifs count as sequential art

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tollymain posted:

ive never really thought of it as a webcomic for some reason though

do gifs count as sequential art

I don't know about the animation, but structurally they're not far removed from your typical single-panel daily newspaper cartoon. Just with horror instead of humour.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tenebrais posted:

I don't know about the animation, but structurally they're not far removed from your typical single-panel daily newspaper cartoon. Just with horror instead of humour.
Of course, in some cases there's both. See: Addams, Charles.

I think my favourite Behind You is this one. It doesn't really come across as 'horror' so much as 'setup for heartwarming movie where troubled teen reconnects with the joys of childhood' to me.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Of course, in some cases there's both. See: Addams, Charles.

I think my favourite Behind You is this one. It doesn't really come across as 'horror' so much as 'setup for heartwarming movie where troubled teen reconnects with the joys of childhood' to me.

Seemed more like sad loss of happier times to me in that one, and never being able to get that back, but maybe I am projecting. Anyhow I read through all of those and it's legit good. "Seems to really capture what it appears to be going for" is probably as apt for Behind You as anything else.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
hey here's my question: why didn't ethan make the fetus the messiah of the church of gaming? tim buckley if you wanna "retcon" that with your new editing powers i think it would add an interesting dimension to the character of "ethan"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
In today's Sleepless Domain we learn that Zoe is a pure child and she doesn't deserve the bullshit that is almost certain to go down

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 6, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, not only are we getting some prime Mildred-Linton interactions, there's been a bit of a teaser for what I'm assuming is the next SGR story on its facebook page.

quote:

Big changes are around the corner, but someone will definitely be back.

I'm assuming this is that unpublished story he initially wrote to star Shelley that's he now adapted to feature Shauna.

In other news, that miniseries he's working on with Boom! Comics comes out next week! :toot:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Heh, Girl Genius is revisiting a backburner plot from nearly 14 years ago.

Webcomics.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

It could become relevant because the pirates Zeetha wiped out were Bangladesh Dupree's, and Bang is in England right now too, although I don't think this party is her type of event.

Also, a month ago, the three main leads were in the same strip for the first time in almost seven years, although not in the same room.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 6, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well it's always been part of her, the last time it came up was when Baron Wulfenbach saw her at Sturmhalten, just it hasn't come up because the comic is always getting caught up in the little adventures unrelated to the main plot. It's not one of those Sluggy Freelance asspulls.

Now the asspull that I've been waiting for is the Circus of Payne and all those long-discarded side characters to show up, since Wooster sent them all off to England years ago.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
God is that thing still going? I stopped reading it around the unending Mechanicsburg bullshit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Are they still on Namek?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Are they still on Namek?

No, they left, and have completed an entire subsequent arc.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Poppy fell off my radar around the time Petunia was being coerced about a political thing, after Poppy moved into the castle. Why are they fighting now?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Poppy fell off my radar around the time Petunia was being coerced about a political thing, after Poppy moved into the castle. Why are they fighting now?

Poppy found out Chicadino's reach (basically eavesdropping anywhere there's electrical lights) and plans, and how he basically has Kit under his thumb. Poppy doesn't appreciate this, and refuses to let him get away with it, so she decided to confront him. Don't remember all the specifics, since that all came out like a year ago.

Chicadino convinced Petunia that Poppy is conspiring against the state (since he's now a member of the state), and months ago Eggton was signed away to Chicadino. If Petunia doesn't cooperate, she loses everything to him. Petunia's decided she has to stop Poppy, and it turns out she's some sort of insane fight-loving super-martial artist who forced herself into pacifism using a charm that causes any damage she causes to someone else is magically backlashed onto her. But magic doesn't work on Poppy. And now Petunia's gone all crazy with her bloodlust returning that she's apparently not willing to stand up for what's right.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PMush Perfect posted:

Petunia "clearly the best way to get out of this hole is to dig faster" Lastname.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You want to talk backburner plots? Zeetha and Gilgamesh might be fraternal twins.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

VanSandman posted:

God is that thing still going? I stopped reading it around the unending Mechanicsburg bullshit.

Mechanicsburg was left behind 5 years ago, and there was also a time-skip of two and a half years for some of the cast.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I poked around a little, and put together some numbers. The comic spent:

6 months in Beetleburg
1 year and a little extra on Castle Wulfenbach
1 year with the circus
2 years in Sturmhalten
6 years in Mechanicsburg (3 in the castle)
1 year working out the 2 year timeskip after Mechanicsburg
1 year on the train and at the train depot on the way to Paris
2 years in Paris

Although the numbers before Sturmhalten are probably a little screwy from the fact that the comic was already published on paper before it went online. The writing has definitely been less tight, some of that is decay in writing quality, and some of that is probably just from the Foglios developing less of an attention span. They keep putting a lot of time and development into the arcs and characters unrelated to the central plot. They get caught up in introducing a new setting and the wacky new characters, who all have their own little stories spiraling outward into more settings and characters, and then jumping into a succession of multi-stage bossfights that take forever, and when it's all said and done, they're all left behind, probably never to be seen again.

I still like it, it's just less good without the main plot to hold it together. It's not like it's unusual for a long series to build up a big central plot and then spend forever on sidequests.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, not only are we getting some prime Mildred-Linton interactions, there's been a bit of a teaser for what I'm assuming is the next SGR story on its facebook page.

I'm assuming this is that unpublished story he initially wrote to star Shelley that's he now adapted to feature Shauna.

In other news, that miniseries he's working on with Boom! Comics comes out next week! :toot:

I'm so glad I got back into Bad Machinery/Scary Go Round. I love Shauna and the role that Lottie has had in the new generation

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

morallyobjected posted:

I'm so glad I got back into Bad Machinery/Scary Go Round. I love Shauna and the role that Lottie has had in the new generation

And he gave Logan Paul a dicknose in today's SGR

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

6 months in Beetleburg
1 year and a little extra on Castle Wulfenbach
1 year with the circus
2 years in Sturmhalten
6 years in Mechanicsburg (3 in the castle)

One of the times is not like the others
One of these times just doesn't belong
Can you tell which time is not like the others
Before fans stop reading along?

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 7, 2018

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The artist change in Giant Days is really throwing off the grove of the book for me. It's like how Ryan Ottley did the art for 90% of Invincible, but every once in a while a different artist would do an issue and it didn't even feel like the same series.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

And he gave Logan Paul a dicknose in today's SGR
Hey now, he's consistently drawn him with a dicknose.

Galvanik posted:

The artist change in Giant Days is really throwing off the grove of the book for me. It's like how Ryan Ottley did the art for 90% of Invincible, but every once in a while a different artist would do an issue and it didn't even feel like the same series.
Sarin is coming back with the next issue, I think.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 7, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

tbh I still think of Sarin as the "new" artist on Giant Days.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm not quite sure why I keep reading Schlock Mercenary. I can never understand what's going on, and it feels like it's making fun of me when I try.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm not quite sure why I keep reading Schlock Mercenary. I can never understand what's going on, and it feels like it's making fun of me when I try.

Honestly it's gotten significantly more convoluted in the last year or two, a lot more like a mil-SF espionage story than a comic Space Mercenaries Get In Trouble story. I'm not positive the writing and art are clear enough to juggle that kind of story tbqh

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its exciting! you get to see an unfamiliar character and find out two dozen pages later the new person is actually somebody from the beginning of the arc you just lost track of them and forgot they existed entirely

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Having listened to Howard Tayler for about 8 years now on Writing Excuses... you're probably not wrong.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

nine-gear crow posted:

Having listened to Howard Tayler for about 8 years now on Writing Excuses... you're probably not wrong.

I'll be brutally honest but I've always been sort of confused that he has a writing podcast.

Schlock Mercenary is decent at comedy, and good at a kind of standard military-SF tone and characterization, but it's not like he's a master of the craft. He's good at producing writing but I wouldn't really want to mimic anything he does well, you know?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'll be brutally honest but I've always been sort of confused that he has a writing podcast.

Schlock Mercenary is decent at comedy, and good at a kind of standard military-SF tone and characterization, but it's not like he's a master of the craft. He's good at producing writing but I wouldn't really want to mimic anything he does well, you know?

It’s Brandon Sanderson and Dan Wells’ writing podcast. Howard often feels like he’s there because he’s their friend (or more specifically, he’s a fellow Mormon writer living in Utah with them) more than anything, the fact that he writes a comic is often secondary. You’re right though, he often gives poor or baffling advice compared to the other hosts. Luckily in the last couple of years they’ve brought on a more diverse crew of panelist to balance him out a little more.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The comic wrote the mercenaries into too much success and now it's very clumsily trying to dismantle that success, and jumping between 3 or 4 mostly unrelated subplots to do so. None of the plots are really getting enough attention to get any good, and half of the main cast may or may not be dead so everything's resting on small clusters of newer secondary characters.

And then there's a fifth subplot of some kind of interstellar grand-scale murder mystery, but instead of really providing some kind of intrigue like a mystery should, it's just a bunch of pontificating about a total lack of information.

Maybe everything will finally be sorted out enough to make sense in a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm mostly confused about why there are galactic mercenaries in the first place. With the level of technology being what it is, the Schlock universe should be a peaceful utopia.

Or a hellscape run by AI or an AI-assisted regime.