Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Wyyne ahead by 43 with 1 poll left omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

report the post

Thanks!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Entropic posted:

gently caress her, she knew she was done, she should have said "vote NDP so we don't end up with Ford" a week ago, drat the Liberal party she no longer has any stake in.

i dont think it makes any sense for the leader of a party to tell you to vote for another party dude. this poo poo is on the voters. blame her for running a bad government, not that particular statemenr

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Hand Knit posted:

I don't think this is very much like the 2011 election. Like yeah I get the liberals collapsing, but 2011 it was the result of a spectacular self-own with Ignatieff. This year they just kind of decayed, the NDP capitalized a bit (free dental bay bay), and the conservatives managed to bleed out just a teensy bit slower than they had the past two elections (with some help from the OLP).

imo the key for the NDP now is to be very active with positive proposals, and making themselves significant in the ridings they won. Don't let people forget about dental coverage. don't make the mistake of 2011 and just assume that you'll become the not-tory default and attrition into power

The liberals running to the right and a lot of the collapsing lib vote going straight to the tories is where I'm seeing the 2011 parallel but I guess some of it is largely bitterness.

quote:

i dont think it makes any sense for the leader of a party to tell you to vote for another party dude. this poo poo is on the voters. blame her for running a bad government, not that particular statemenr

She basically called on to stop a NDP government which might as well have been carrying a sign saying Ford Nation for all I care.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey guys I know the mood in general is low, but I’m here at the NDP convention and we’re feeling good about the wins we did get. We’ve had a lot of growth in the party and there is a sense that even though we didn’t achieve everything we could have. We have roots to grow from in the future

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My riding has about a hundred votes between NDP and PC, NDP in the lead, with five more stations to report. So I'm loving refreshing the page every five minutes as if it will help.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

mik posted:

Is PEI the best province finally? :crying_potato:

The crying potato needs to have red braids

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And Horwath is definitely the leader to help them grow. At this rate in only 10 more years the NDP might form a minority government!!!

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hey guys I know the mood in general is low, but I’m here at the NDP convention and we’re feeling good about the wins we did get. We’ve had a lot of growth in the party and there is a sense that even though we didn’t achieve everything we could have. We have roots to grow from in the future

Hope you're enjoying your night.

I remember volunteering federally for the NDP and it's rare that there isn't at least some positive hope whenever the party grows.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jordan7hm posted:

And Horwath is definitely the leader to help them grow. At this rate in only 10 more years the NDP might form a minority government!!!
Horwath cannot fall; she can only be failed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah that worked really well federally after 2011

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I know memes and poo poo aren't really used here but I saw this on FB and can't resist:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol you don’t need dynamic leadership or at least someone who can get media attention, you just need slow and careful growth, that’s the ticket.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
dehumanize yourself and face to FORD

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Like seriously come on, the NDP doesn't exist independent of the rest of the province and seeing politics as some kind of game where the damage Ford will do is unimportant because Team Orange did better than last time is boneheaded

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

While I have no doubt that the CTF will probably be writing policy for the Ontario conservatives, I'm not sure if that counts as being out of the horses mouth.

Not that I'm expecting much in the way of pre-planned policy from these clowns.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
This is still the NDP, Horwath will have knives in her back in like a year at most and then she'll be like Broadbent and McDonough and remembered as a good leader so long as she stays away from the leadership.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Drunk Canuck posted:

Wynne resigns as leader.

Well that's a solid tactic, bow out after a crushing defeat in an easy election.

not before loving over the other party that could have beat ford, of course

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ZeeBoi posted:

Imagine being Tim Hudak and coming to terms with the fact that he couldn’t do what Ford did in a couple of months

Just lol

Can't imagine Hudak feels bad. He's the head of a real estate board who just got handed the best ally in government he could ask for.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

Like seriously come on, the NDP doesn't exist independent of the rest of the province and seeing politics as some kind of game where the damage Ford will do is unimportant because Team Orange did better than last time is boneheaded

For real though, that is politics. Every person who got elected for the NDP just got a guaranteed 4 years of the highest paying / highest profile job they will ever have. So in that sense I at least get it.

For the party / people who didn’t just get a new job though? gently caress you if you think this is anything like a good result that you can build on.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I am sure the Libs were hoping for this. Let Ford get all of the power and wreck things so they can position themselves as saviours compared to the NDP who couldn't stop Ford.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Toronto st pauls goes ndp. Libs have 4 seats and are only in contention for 4 more. They need to win them all, this is going to be so close

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Testikles posted:

I am sure the Libs were hoping for this. Let Ford get all of the power and wreck things so they can position themselves as saviours compared to the NDP who couldn't stop Ford.

this is exactly what they want yes, they'll be back in in 4 years

sure the peasants might suffer a bit but that's an acceptable cost

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

*watches CHUD party go from no power to all power in one election*

"slow and steady wins the race lol :)"

<meme here about virgin NDP and progressive chadservatives>

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Toronto st pauls goes ndp. Libs have 4 seats and are only in contention for 4 more. They need to win them all, this is going to be so close

Aren't they already behind on two of those?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
What does official party status do for the libs? What are they at stake of losing?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Agnosticnixie posted:

Aren't they already behind on two of those?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

oh get hosed

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

I dunno I'm pretty hopeful about the NDP being one of the two big parties in Ontario. Libs were steaming garbage in Ontario for years. Hard to say how badly dougie will crash and burn. Could be orange before you know it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

patonthebach posted:

What does official party status do for the libs? What are they at stake of losing?

They lose office and assistant funding, designated question period time and I think it makes them independents but I'm not sure about that

quote:

In the 2003 election, the New Democrats won only seven seats in the Ontario Legislative Assembly. The new Liberal government refused to accord official party status to the NDP, with Premier Dalton McGuinty instead offering the NDP would receive additional funding in return for accepting their status as independents; NDP leader Howard Hampton refused and disrupted the throne speech in protest.[6] MPP Marilyn Churley threatened to legally change her surname to "Churley-NDP" so that the Speaker would be forced to say NDP when recognizing her in the House (a non-official party loses the right to have its members addressed in the Legislature by party affiliation). The PC's Bill Murdoch also considered joining the NDP caucus to help them make official status.[7] Andrea Horwath's by-election win in May 2004 regained official party status for the NDP.[8]

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
next 4 years:

tax cuts --> service cuts down the road
weird FORD scandals
random sorta red meat thrown to soCons but nothing really happens

so basically trump without the whole north korea thing

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I'm not sure which I'll hate more, these lovely toronto suburbs that went blue sticking to Trudeau, or them going Scheer

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I hope you guys learned something from the federal NDP, because this is exactly what they were saying after the orange crush. Don't ever forget that a lot of these gains are due to a many people voting against Ford, just like a lot of people were voting against Harper back then. The NDP has to do better than that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

*watches CHUD party go from no power to all power in one election*

"slow and steady wins the race lol :)"

<meme here about virgin NDP and progressive chadservatives>

one election and a decade of centrist shittery

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Typo posted:

next 4 years:

weird FORD scandals

No no no, the platform clearly stated that there will be tax cuts but no service cuts

it's almost like you didn't READ THE THING

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

lol get hosed Ontario

Next 4 years are going to be hilarious

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Typo posted:

next 4 years:

weird FORD scandals

continuing increases in costs of living with a government thats probably going to privatixe poo poo, nuke rent controls etc aint nothing

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

imo the key for the NDP now is to be very active with positive proposals, and making themselves significant in the ridings they won. Don't let people forget about dental coverage. don't make the mistake of 2011 and just assume that you'll become the not-tory default and attrition into power

This will absolutely be the case, and as in 2015, the party decides on a direction immediately:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Typo posted:

next 4 years:

weird FORD scandals

don't forget that ford literally does not know how taxes work, so maybe a tax hike out of nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Agnosticnixie posted:

This is still the NDP, Horwath will have knives in her back in like a year at most and then she'll be like Broadbent and McDonough and remembered as a good leader so long as she stays away from the leadership.

God, I hope so.