Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

facialimpediment posted:

Allies are basically finding out now that Trump has been consistent on trade since the 1980s and there's no amount of flattery that will make him stop from doing dumb poo poo on trade.

Gotta say though, going after allied countries and not going after China is sure a novel approach.

As you said, the "mad oval office" approach to diplomacy hasn't really been tried yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I think we're right on the cusp of having the world collectively telling us to gently caress off and I can't remotely blame them. Frankly, I say do it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Allies are basically finding out now that Trump has been consistent on trade since the 1980s and there's no amount of flattery that will make him stop from doing dumb poo poo on trade.

Gotta say though, going after allied countries and not going after China is sure a novel approach.

Have they considered making a sweetheart deal for Trump properties that gives him, personally, money directly into his bank account? Seems to be working for China, and since :matters: gently caress the rule of law.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This really is the twilight of our nation. How the gently caress do we recover from this idiot destroying our international reputation in less than two years, and how do we even begin to prevent another moron from doing it again?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lighten up clarences

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Reality TV show host.

e: oh I'm not sad. I think it's hilarious.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fister Roboto posted:

This really is the twilight of our nation. How the gently caress do we recover from this idiot destroying our international reputation in less than two years, and how do we even begin to prevent another moron from doing it again?

Because the strategic interests of Canada and Mexico and the rest of Europe have not changed, and the United States remains the best guarantor of those interests. I'll bet :10bux: that a year into a Democratic - or even a saner Republican - administration and everyone will be quietly hopping back into bed with us.

All of that changes if he's reelected of course. A 4 year blip in an otherwise extraordinary record is one thing. Re-electing a madman is quite another.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You'll be fine. First thing after thing bastard is gone is you'll knock down what a president can do. Second thing, you'll be nice to everyone and we'll all reverse poo poo. It's *seriously* not in our interests to have this poo poo fall over.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
"extraordinary" loving lmao

Forget the Iraq War so soon do we

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I had an interesting conversation with an Iraqi helicopter pilot who was in San Antonio for school a few years ago. This was when ISIS had taken Mosul, Iraqi army had collapsed, Kurds were making independence noises, sunnis were real pissed at the Shia, before al-Malaki had stepped down, etc.

Basically, his family was moderately decently off, could probably afford/figure out how to get out of the country. Currently in an okay place, but the country was looking like it was going down hill pretty fast. He started asking me how long you stick around for, how long you fight for your vision of your country, and what you should be willing to risk for that vision.

I didn't have a real good answer for him. Seems like a lot of people who resist assholes have pretty horrible ends for them and their loved ones, as opposed to being the hero of the story who makes it to the end. Or you keep your head down and try to mostly ignore the horrible poo poo happening and to some extent become complicit. Or you decide you probably won't be able to fix it and just try to get away before it catches up with you and yours. Or you fight and win, but honestly that's not that common.

Question I've been thinking about a lot, especially recently, but honestly for a longer time than just the Trump era due to a lot of the war on terror poo poo. Still no real good answers.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

"extraordinary" loving lmao

Forget the Iraq War so soon do we

Some of us non-US people have some faith left. I have no loving idea why, but I believe in you motherfuckers.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
There's a good Doc on the Afghanistan war that involves a general in the ANA who cared more about his country than anything else. Made a huge difference in the way things happened, fought tooth and nail for his country to get better.

Then he died in a helicopter crash and now Afghanistan is the way it is.

Who knows if he would have made a difference in the end? But he made a difference while he was around. And as much as I want to leave, I'd rather follow his example and try to make things better while I'm still here.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Crakkerjakk posted:

I had an interesting conversation with an Iraqi helicopter pilot who was in San Antonio for school a few years ago. This was when ISIS had taken Mosul, Iraqi army had collapsed, Kurds were making independence noises, sunnis were real pissed at the Shia, before al-Malaki had stepped down, etc.

Basically, his family was moderately decently off, could probably afford/figure out how to get out of the country. Currently in an okay place, but the country was looking like it was going down hill pretty fast. He started asking me how long you stick around for, how long you fight for your vision of your country, and what you should be willing to risk for that vision.

I didn't have a real good answer for him. Seems like a lot of people who resist assholes have pretty horrible ends for them and their loved ones, as opposed to being the hero of the story who makes it to the end. Or you keep your head down and try to mostly ignore the horrible poo poo happening and to some extent become complicit. Or you decide you probably won't be able to fix it and just try to get away before it catches up with you and yours. Or you fight and win, but honestly that's not that common.

Question I've been thinking about a lot, especially recently, but honestly for a longer time than just the Trump era due to a lot of the war on terror poo poo. Still no real good answers.

Manhattan is some un-loving-believably good TV when in this mindset fyi

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

Tbf, there’s more than a few examples of countries where the educated middle class said, “well, that certainly couldn’t happen here!” only to find themselves bewildered when it does. Those with the means flee, those without stay and make their choice to fight and perhaps die or to acquiesce and hope to be spared.

I firmly believe that the next time some Cliven Buddy type tries something dumb under a future Democratic administration, it’s going to touch off something bloody and awful by either design or stupidity. What scares me more is not being able to tell the difference between the two.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That's ok, there isn't one. Revolutions are led exclusively by fools who think they can put the bloodlust genie back in the bottle after it's done serving them.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 8, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
turning this around would be the exception

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Before anybody goes whatabout the american revolution, well remember that was less a revolution and more of a kickoff BBQ for a one hundred year campaign of westward expansion that would make Alexander or Ghengis blush. The big lesson of American history is that genocide works but you gotta be really 100% All In.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

You'll be fine. First thing after thing bastard is gone is you'll knock down what a president can do. Second thing, you'll be nice to everyone and we'll all reverse poo poo. It's *seriously* not in our interests to have this poo poo fall over.

Yeah and then the pendulum swings back even farther to the right when that's done and we get someone even worse who reverses all of that. Like seriously, the moment a Democrat gets into the WH and tries to repair all this poo poo, the right is going to start screaming bloody murder, just like they did with Obama, but even louder.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
welp might as well give up then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh gently caress off. I'm not saying nothing matters, but something major needs to change if we don't want to stay locked in this stupid loving cycle with the dumber and shittier half of our country dragging us closer to the edge each time. gently caress if I'm smart enough to know what that is though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh gently caress off. I'm not saying nothing matters, but something major needs to change if we don't want to stay locked in this stupid loving cycle with the dumber and shittier half of our country dragging us closer to the edge each time. gently caress if I'm smart enough to know what that is though.

Sherman knew.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

aren't you though?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The pendulum hasn't even swung left in our lifetimes lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Iron Rose posted:

Because the strategic interests of Canada and Mexico and the rest of Europe have not changed, and the United States remains the best guarantor of those interests. I'll bet :10bux: that a year into a Democratic - or even a saner Republican - administration and everyone will be quietly hopping back into bed with us.

All of that changes if he's reelected of course. A 4 year blip in an otherwise extraordinary record is one thing. Re-electing a madman is quite another.

You're assuming that Russia and China aren't actively spreading their influence around the globe while the US is currently sitting around making GBS threads itself accomplishing nothing of value. Like in this 4 year blip, China will have most of Africa's balls in a vice grip and the US will be playing catch up the entire time to curb their influence and that's if Trump doesn't get re-elected.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

can't wait for serious business posters to :ohdear: their way through the 2020 election and then not vote/vote third party lol

it's going to bigly own

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Chinese influence is unironically 100% pith hat style colonialism, tho

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The pendulum hasn't even swung left in our lifetimes lol

It won't either lol

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Eej posted:

You're assuming that Russia and China aren't actively spreading their influence around the globe while the US is currently sitting around making GBS threads itself accomplishing nothing of value. Like in this 4 year blip, China will have most of Africa's balls in a vice grip and the US will be playing catch up the entire time to curb their influence and that's if Trump doesn't get re-elected.

Oh this administration is a colossal blow to US hegemony, influence, and power. It's tragic and it'll hurt a lot of people at home and abroad, both now and through the ramifications in the future. I just have faith that the international order can weather this storm and that the American public and all future administrations will take Chinese and Russian expansionism far more seriously. I'm an optimist at heart, and if I end up disappointed ten years from now, so be it. But at the very least we should all try and defend a system that, while deeply flawed and in need of reform, is far better than the current alternatives.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Everybody's is allowed their daily moment of bewilderment and comedic despair. Then you still need to do your work because there's always something you can fail to do that will make things worse for future generations of kids to come.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Eej posted:

China has had more sway in sub-Saharan Africa than both the US and EU for 5-10 years, with the possible exception of the French-allied countries. Cheap credit without the moral strings attached by us Westerners will do that. There's also something like a million Chinese expats living over there.

And afaik Chinese economic interests in countries like Argentina and Brazil are considerable as well. The Brazilian economy at least is fairly dependent on export of raw resources to China.

Mind you that all of this has been taking place over the last ten or so years, so it also falls within a presidency that was competent. And tried to fight creeping Chinese influence with TTIP. But as far as I'm concerned, South America and Africa are not continents either the US or China should try to incorporate into their hegemony.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Immanentized posted:

Got a link? I'm curious, as I think CO2 storage isn't as quick and easy a fix as some firms are pushing.

Here is one site, there are a few more though.

https://qz.com/846093/chinas-giant-smog-sucking-tower-was-simply-no-match-for-its-air-pollution/

But lets do a quick imagination game. If you turned on your vacuum in your house 24/7, what radius around it would be dust free.

Also up wind or down wind.

China did have a guy go around and use a vacuum cleaner to make bricks of smog, and that was neat, but when the towers were put in they just didn't clean up much around them and some of the smog is from winter stoves burning.

Now you want to replace the smog filter with a co2 filter and you got the same problems of radius and wind.

The smog tower vacuum was really a chabuduo way of doing things, which is a chinese word for half assed and cutting corners. Some dutch dude just made crazy money on it because the chinese love solutions that don't touch the problem. The china forum of environmental journalists renamed the thing a smog warning tower since it didn't clean enough. The dutch inventor even told them that this isn't a solution but a reminder that the problem exists and you need to do something about it.

EDIT: The dutch dude has more info here
https://www.studioroosegaarde.net/data/files/2017/09/6/smogfreebicycle-roosegaarde-pressrelease

Just look at that amazing work done 10 meters away. Lol, you are gonna need hundreds of thousands of these things.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 8, 2018

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Smog and carbon dioxide aren't the same thing though? CO2 isn't a local issue (mostly), the question is net global emissions.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
They are not the same thing but the devices work the same way, by being a vacuum.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Edit: Not working, I'll post later.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 8, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I read a book about the Russian Revolution that had a bit on the civil war kicking off and just chewing through the supply of educated urban idealists and power sorta defaulting to people who are none of that as a result

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

crazyivan45 posted:

I’m fully anticipating my only exchange option this year being a $900/mo premium, $10,000 deductible plan that’s only accepted by a few doctors that all must be within 60 miles of Memphis

You also stuck in or around Memphrika? There used to be a few of us in GiP, but it looks like just you and me now man.

What kinda work you do?

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 8, 2018

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Sir, this is a Culver’s drive-thru.

Goddamn I want me a butter burger now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

I read a book about the Russian Revolution that had a bit on the civil war kicking off and just chewing through the supply of educated urban idealists and power sorta defaulting to people who are none of that as a result

The first people to jump ship are always the well educated, leaving their country to the Donald Trump Jr.s of the world. Which begs the question, where did all of our smart people go?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Reverse Rapture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

No more debating about the future of America, focus only on the Double Bacon Butter Burger Deluxe.

With cheese curds and a root beer.

EDIT: Capitols won the Stanley Cup, DC to burn. Film at 11.

BigDave fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 8, 2018

• Locked thread