Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Alhazred posted:

The war is going pretty bad in the movie though. The troopers are slaughtered when they arrive on the bugs' homeplanet and then lose so many battles that they're forced to retreat to the planet's moons where they keep on getting overrun.

If you look at it as a whole piece though those could be some of the parts that went so bad they can't gloss over them. The rosy propaganda ending is when they say "oh but now we caught their boss and we're totally gonna start killing them starting NOW so join NOW."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Fumaofthelake posted:

If you look at it as a whole piece though those could be some of the parts that went so bad they can't gloss over them. The rosy propaganda ending is when they say "oh but now we caught their boss and we're totally gonna start killing them starting NOW so join NOW."

Its also implied that the army used a false flag operation by meteoring Buenos Aires to rally people to keep enlisting.

The movie ends after the first actually won battle against the bugs.

The sequels, well they do things.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

Its also implied that the army used a false flag operation by meteoring Buenos Aires to rally people to keep enlisting.

The movie ends after the first actually won battle against the bugs.

The sequels, well they do things.

I think the implication was that the meteor just kind of, you know, happened and was unrelated to any cause other than "this rock was cruising through the cosmos in no particular direction then it hit Earth." Then it was used as a convenient excuse to start a full scale war. It was a flimsy excuse at best.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think the implication was that the meteor just kind of, you know, happened and was unrelated to any cause other than "this rock was cruising through the cosmos in no particular direction then it hit Earth." Then it was used as a convenient excuse to start a full scale war. It was a flimsy excuse at best.

Bush did Buenos Aires

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

As far as I remember it was never implied in the movie. People just started to assume it was true because, how the gently caress can bugs with literally no technology manage to shoot meteors across half the universe and hit a very specific target?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It really is jaw-dropping just how stupid Ebert could be.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Sunswipe posted:

Jesus.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sunswipe posted:

:monocle:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Sunswipe posted:

I usually found him clever and insightful, so those moments really stood out.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah guys but Ebert didn't like videogames so any hate is totally justified may he RIP

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the joke is that ebert had his jaw removed because of cancer! LOL !

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ebert gave blue velvet a bad review

blue loving velvet

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

hawowanlawow posted:

Ebert gave blue velvet a bad review

blue loving velvet

I didn’t care for his review, although I think he makes his case better here: https://www.rogerebert.com/interviews/my-problem-with-blue-velvet

Ebert was wrong though.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Ebert did a great job of spreading the word of a film criticism method wherein you judge a movie by the goals it sets itself and how well it achieves those goals, which is a good and worthy thing. Ebert was definitely the most effective evangelist for getting people (any people, not just academics) to think critically about movies and the ideas of the designers behind them. He was the Neil DeGrasse Tyson of movies of his time.

When a movie strayed too far from middle class morals, he got upset and saw it as a threat to society, which may or may not be true. He reacted defensively to those movies and panned them. Some of those reviews he would recant.

He was smart enough to have a lot to say and wise enough to listen to. Whatever his reason for loving or hating or whatevering, he'd explain cogently and coherently, to the best of his notable ability.

Sunswipe posted:

ur mom

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MartianAgitator posted:

He was the Neil DeGrasse Tyson of movies of his time.

Hmm.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whatever his other failings, the willingness to recant something that he had said in the past makes Ebert better than 99.9% of the people you will ever read.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

Whatever his other failings, the willingness to recant something that he had said in the past makes Ebert better than 99.9% of the people you will ever read.

I'm reasonably certain that makes him better than 99% of people in general.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Just a general reminder that her show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is really super good. Everyone should catch up before the fourth and final season

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alhazred posted:

As far as I remember it was never implied in the movie. People just started to assume it was true because, how the gently caress can bugs with literally no technology manage to shoot meteors across half the universe and hit a very specific target?

That's the problem with the movie - in the books, the Bugs had their own interstellar civilisation with an equivalent level of technology to humanity.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Actually there are no problems with the movie starship troopers

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So where did the second asteroid come from, then?

:thunk:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Space

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hosed up if true

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

Actually there are no problems with the movie starship troopers

There's one. The satire is so good most people can't see it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Both the book and the movie are good sci-fi for different reasons. Also Starcraft is based on it so we can attribute pro level gaming on it as well. Just a whole lot of ripples in the pond.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Gung-ho support of fascism is bad actually but I'm sure a point can be made that it isn't.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ryonguy posted:

Gung-ho support of fascism is bad actually but I'm sure a point can be made that it isn't.

I'm pretty sure that point is "power-armor".

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

fascism without race prejudice means you can actually have that black gay hitler, dude

i hear she does things much differently

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

hard counter posted:

fascism without race prejudice means you can actually have that black gay hitler, dude

i hear she does things much differently

“Oooh, you said amass six million views. Ok. Wow. Thought you were going in a totally different direction for a second there.”

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Id like to know more

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Id like to know more

More like oldknow....more. Damnit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ryonguy posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I always assumed the plasma bugs just shot plasma poo poo at asteroids to launch them out into space. I've never really bothered to learn the why they would do that though. I mean really why would it? Bugs are bad.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Len posted:

I always assumed the plasma bugs just shot plasma poo poo at asteroids to launch them out into space. I've never really bothered to learn the why they would do that though. I mean really why would it? Bugs are bad.

I say kill them all!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

more like oldmerciless

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Len posted:

That's how they spread their eggs or whatever to colonize other planets. I think they explained that in the movie at some point.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ambitious Spider posted:

Just a general reminder that her show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is really super good. Everyone should catch up before the fourth and final season

:agreed:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Starship Troopers is good because it shows that even if you gloss over the racism and misogyny inherent in fascism it (and its predecessor futurism) is still an ideology whose ideal state is that scene from the Animatrix where mech pilots get hosed up on drugs and religion before being graphically melted by robot heat rays

Also I can see not including Bradbury as a father of science fiction because like Vonnegut his more literary style makes imitation difficult

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

tbh i'd probably say the book itself is more naively childish than actively dystopian

that's why imho verhoven's choice of actors, casting exactly the kind of obliviously smiling, vapid, superficial teenagers who'd fall head over heels for one-dimensional military jingoism, is so effective for getting a satire of it across instead of, say, looking for those war boyz from fury road to star in his movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

https://twitter.com/VK_HM/status/1002747126403788801