Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Holy god, how is thunderstrike still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Billzasilver posted:

Holy god, how is thunderstrike still alive?

It's his son, the original is still dead.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I was hoping this would continie Gerry Duggan Guardians :(

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Y'all are clearly missing the best character on that roster. The Mighty Throg! Team sorely needs Beta Rey Bill as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
according to the comments bill is currently unavailable for use

also

http://cullenbunn.tumblr.com/post/174670664614/asgardians-of-the-galaxy-looks-badass-as-hell#_=_ posted:

ASGARDIANS OF THE GALAXY LOOKS BADASS AS HELL! sooooooooooo any plans for Sera 👀?
tycon-the-icon

[Bunn]I have BIG plans for Sera… just gotta get to them.

so this will be cancelled almost assuredly before we ever see sera

site fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 7, 2018

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It's a mini series so it doesn't need to be cancelled.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Insert whatever derogatory term you want here, but if the entire selling point of this was ASGARDIANS OF THE GALAXY why are the majority of the team (arguably all but one of them) from one of the other Nine Realms? It'd be like doing a space team called the Mars-shall Law and then the team is made up of Martian Manhunter, Superman, Kilowog, J'emm Son of Saturn, Adam Strange, Sinestro, and Alfred.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Edge & Christian posted:

Insert whatever derogatory term you want here, but if the entire selling point of this was ASGARDIANS OF THE GALAXY why are the majority of the team (arguably all but one of them) from one of the other Nine Realms? It'd be like doing a space team called the Mars-shall Law and then the team is made up of Martian Manhunter, Superman, Kilowog, J'emm Son of Saturn, Adam Strange, Sinestro, and Alfred.

Skurge- asgardian
Destroyer. - asgardan
Angela - asgardian
Valkyrie- asgardian spirit
The other two have the power of asgard.

I also have a feeling sera will be in the destroyer armor

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not super happy about them bringing Skurge back to life. He had the best death in comics ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm hoping it's some Goku thing where he only gets out of Hel for a few days.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Only my ruby-quartz MMA gloves can contain my adamantium claws!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is the presence of Skurge who stood alone at Gjallerbru enough for me to give the book a try, with additional Angela and Valkyrie and Thunderstrike because why not?

Yeah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Destroyer probably had Jake Olsen's soul in it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't get excited for Cullen Bunn anything.

He's not an outright terrible writer, but every superhero comic I've read by him has felt like a completely by the numbers experience.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cullen seems to be the mediocre guy marvel jobs out to for the books someone in editorial or sales demands but none of the real writers want to deal with

site fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 8, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Cullen seems to be the mediocre guy marvel jobs out to for the books someone in editorial or sales demands but none of the real writers want to deal with

AKA The Fabian Nicieza Memorial Office.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA

Cullen has written plenty of mediocre books for DC as well.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bobkatt013 posted:

Skurge- asgardian
Destroyer. - asgardan
Angela - asgardian
Valkyrie- asgardian spirit
The other two have the power of asgard.

I also have a feeling sera will be in the destroyer armor
Skurge = Asgardian who has been dead for at this point the majority of his existence as a Marvel character and has been an inhabitant of Hel
Destroyer = Sure, I guess an Asgardian vessel
Angela = I hosed this one up, I forgot she was Odin's secretdottir and I was chalking her up as an Angel from Heven, aka Marvel's 10th Realm
Valkyrie = I may have also hosed this one up, Valkyrie's are traditionally (in Norse Mythology and New Mutants at least) are from Vanaheim and send people to Valhalla, and thus aren't really spending much time in Asgard but the old 1970s Valkyrie (and the Thor Ragnarok one) rep Asgard

Sera is 100% Heven born and bred though so ironically if you're right about her being in the Destroyer armor you've proven my point more than I have!

I was mostly kidding but Jason Aaron has in the past few years done more than almost everyone in the history of Marvel combined to differentiate and flesh out the Ten Realms so I just thought it was weird to have so many people with ties to the other nine on a team named after Asgard as his run is happening and the "War of the Ten Realms" is still ongoing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

I think it's a neat premise/team worthy of a Donny Cates or Saladin Ahmed or Kelly Thompson or G Willow Wilson (if she ever wants to write another comic.) No need to job it out to Bunn. Raise up a new writer if you have to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Boy, that sure speaks volumes about what the current thinking about the X-men was at the time. That whole giant relaunch just to tread water. Although Blue was much more inoffensive than Gold, so points to Bunn.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

site posted:

infinity countdown: it is of course the nature of comics that we cant have nice things but going back to old galactus is lame as hell

also maybe its just me but the art in that book sucked

On the other hand it is an event comic sort of, so it could potentially get undone

IUG posted:

So I really love Scotty Young's "I Hate Fairyland", but his Deadpool just didn't really seem to work for me. It seemed like it spent a lot of time on the dialog, the back of the issue was the first part of the story, and I honestly can't even remember the ending now other than that also didn't wow me (and I read it last night). I'm hoping that he can improve, because he can pull off comedy well in IHF, but it seems like he hasn't found Deadpool's humor.

Unfortunately while Skottie Young is one of the best artists in the industry right now, he's honestly kinda mediocre as a writer, especially when it comes to pacing

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Skurge = Asgardian who has been dead for at this point the majority of his existence as a Marvel character and has been an inhabitant of Hel
Destroyer = Sure, I guess an Asgardian vessel
Angela = I hosed this one up, I forgot she was Odin's secretdottir and I was chalking her up as an Angel from Heven, aka Marvel's 10th Realm
Valkyrie = I may have also hosed this one up, Valkyrie's are traditionally (in Norse Mythology and New Mutants at least) are from Vanaheim and send people to Valhalla, and thus aren't really spending much time in Asgard but the old 1970s Valkyrie (and the Thor Ragnarok one) rep Asgard

Sera is 100% Heven born and bred though so ironically if you're right about her being in the Destroyer armor you've proven my point more than I have!

I was mostly kidding but Jason Aaron has in the past few years done more than almost everyone in the history of Marvel combined to differentiate and flesh out the Ten Realms so I just thought it was weird to have so many people with ties to the other nine on a team named after Asgard as his run is happening and the "War of the Ten Realms" is still ongoing.

I don't disagree with you, but I think for the most part people tend to classify any Thor-adjacent characters that aren't explicitly nonhuman like elves* or big monsters like frost giants in Marvel as being Asgardian. Like, for as much as Aaron's done with the cosmology of the Ten Realms, I don't think he (or anyone really) has ever really attempted to explain the difference between Asgard and Vanaheim (I mean off the top of my head, Sif, Heimdall, and Frigga are all Vanir but no one ever mentions it). They all hang out with Thor in Asgard so everyone just kind of blends together and they're all Asgardian.

*I know the light elves in Thor are very human-like but they have pointy ears marking them as obviously another race/species as opposed to the Asgardians/Vanir/I guess the Angels of Heven (I kind of forget what non-Angela angels look like) who all look the same to me... oh no am I racist against Norse gods?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 8, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Someone post that panel of uh the Wreckers calling them all Thors

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did you know Marvel released a trade called X-Men: Domino in late April

because I found that out and ordered it a few weeks ago to my LCS, and it finally came in yesterday :toot:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

did you know Marvel released a trade called X-Men: Domino in late April

because I found that out and ordered it a few weeks ago to my LCS, and it finally came in yesterday :toot:

Is it a collection of old issues or an OGN?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I want a comic with Domino, Longshot and Scarlet Witch playing dice or Texas Hold'Em or something similar.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Sure, an' ye're forgettin' Shamrock an' her luck o' th' Irish!

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

site posted:

according to the comments bill is currently unavailable for use

also

so this will be cancelled almost assuredly before we ever see sera

Disappointed at no MF BRB, but hopefully this means Aaron is gonna use him.

First thing I looked for was a mention of Sera, and I am fascinated to see how they're gonna pick up her story again. The most important thing is that she's back though.

I do wish a more interesting writer was attached. Fearless Defenders was probably my favourite Bunn jam at least, but, y'know... Magdalene Visaggio is right there. Space Lesbians/Bisexuals seems like it would be right up her alley, and the Dazzler one-shot ruled.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Is it a collection of old issues or an OGN?

collection, it's her solo series' from 97 and 03, X-Force: Sex and Violence, and 3 single issues of other stuff featuring her

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Someone post that panel of uh the Wreckers calling them all Thors

It's Shocker

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I reckon we got another Vision on our hands with Immortal Hulk.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I kinda bummed myself out on Wednesday by reading Immortal Hulk and Batman one after the other. Just kind of a bleak way to start my new comic book day.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I've recently finished reading (almost) everything "cosmic" in Marvel from Annihilation to Secret Wars, and, hoboy, is it making Infinity Countdown extremely disappointing. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly the point of this story is (besides a movie to tie-in to). Right now it just feels like a bunch of loosely-connected stories sharing the theme of the Infinity Stones.

Also, is this the first time we're seeing the Stones the same colors as in the movies?

Edit: Also, also, I was promised Super-Skrull in this story! Where's my Super-Skrull?!

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 9, 2018

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Basically everything after that big cosmic run is disappointing. I did like Duggan’s recent GotG but the Star-Lord who went to head to head with Thanos is a high point of the character. Much better than the modern Chris Pratt in space one.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

TwoPair posted:

It's Shocker

This is the kind of writing I love from Marvel. I guess when people say "by the numbers" book, I don't expect anything like this, and instead expect overexposition, recapping, painfully awkward dialogue talking in full sentences during fight scenes, etc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

new looks. Looks neat on Dagger.

Idk about giving Cloak legs again though that seems weird

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I think that's cloak sending a hoodlum to the darkforce dimension. You can see the gun falling.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm no Cloak expert. I assume he's a young guy and the cover is more letting you know that he has personality under the intimidating outward appearance rather than there being a new feature of his costume where casually dressed legs poke out the whole time.

e:

PicklePants posted:

I think that's cloak sending a hoodlum to the darkforce dimension. You can see the gun falling.

Okay. It's that, what with the skin tone and falling gun. Now I'm disappointed that Shorts Cloak isn't real.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 9, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Has Daredevil had a team up with Cloak and Dagger. Teaming up the dark and light teens on the run with the blind lawyer seems kind of obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I bet Cloak would have the skinniest little legs since he hasn't used them... Ever?

• Locked thread