Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

TotalLossBrain posted:

They are everywhere on bicycles and they are terrible.

Rich white people named Allen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

TotalLossBrain posted:

They are everywhere on bicycles and they are terrible.

They're everywhere in HVAC, grub screws for motor shafts and blowers, and service valve ports.
I have about 7 allen key sets because like the 10mm socket, that 4mm hex always goes missing!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DJ Commie posted:

Rich white people named Allen?
I don't think so, Tim.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've never seen a torx grub screw, can you even get them?
E: yes you can, awesome

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hot drat, so you can!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm fixin' to create a mechanical failure on my Miata. The steel transmission fill plug threaded into the aluminium case seems quite stuck in there. I'm to the point of putting this fat cheater pipe on there to bust it loose. What's the over/under on pulling all the threads out of the case vs cracking the whole shebang?

E: it's a Massachusetts car that's lived in Texas humidity for 19 years. Yes it's rusty.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

The Door Frame posted:

I thought I was the only one, since all of the car shows I watch talk about Allen head screws as though they were just as good, if not better than normal bolts

They're awesome when they're brand new and shiny, or you have great access.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BloodBag posted:

What's the over/under on pulling all the threads out of the case vs cracking the whole shebang?

0.5, as it is for all binary choices.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

BloodBag posted:

I'm fixin' to create a mechanical failure on my Miata. The steel transmission fill plug threaded into the aluminium case seems quite stuck in there. I'm to the point of putting this fat cheater pipe on there to bust it loose. What's the over/under on pulling all the threads out of the case vs cracking the whole shebang?

E: it's a Massachusetts car that's lived in Texas humidity for 19 years. Yes it's rusty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM

When you get it out, either use a fuckton of anti-galling compound, or find an aluminium plug instead - dissimilar metals never ends well with Aluminium.

e: Wrong vidjeo

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 8, 2018

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Space Gopher posted:

You can accidentally stash a bunch of stuff in an engine bay. Most of the moving parts are fairly well shielded, and things tend to fall into little crevices in non-moving parts or splash shields or whatever. I've definitely found sockets an oil change or two after I've done some work, and once a used car came with a bonus Snap-On mini breaker bar.

Aerospace mechanics are obsessive about tool control. Outside of that, though - there's a reason this multipack of 10mm sockets exists.

I was changing the turn signal bulb in my car this weekend and took my apple watch off and set it on the battery box. It was still there 45 minutes later after going 75mph down the highway.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Darchangel posted:

Well, now, this is interesting. This article says that JIS is extinct, quoting Vessel as saying so.
Not sure what that's about.

Someone better tell Toyota then, cos thats all they use!

Actually- One thing that TRULY shits me? The difference between ISO metric bolts and JIS metric bolts.

Same thread pitch but with JIS you have these bolt head sizes

M6 = 10mm
M8 = 12mm
M10 = 14mm
M12 = 17mm
M14 = 19mm

But with ISO , you get:

M6 = 10mm
M8 = 13mm
M10 = 15mm
M12 = 18mm
M14 = 21mm

So any japanese manufacturer will use JIS, and bolt suppliers here in Aus all sell poo poo in ISO, so you wind up with infuriating situations where you've got something like a bash plate held on with bolts that have the same thread pitch and diameter, but you need two different sockets to take the things off.

Every now and then I go down to the self service wrecker, pay my $2 entry and go and pull a bunch of toyotas apart and just walk out with a tool bag with about 30kg of random bolts and nuts in it to refill my stocks to avoid that poo poo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I was changing the turn signal bulb in my car this weekend and took my apple watch off and set it on the battery box. It was still there 45 minutes later after going 75mph down the highway.

Craziest one of these stories I had is I was measuring some things and set the tape down (read as in where did I put my 10mm socket type stuff) then headed off to Menards in the truck. Backed out of the driveway with a curb, had about a 5 mile commute over bumpy rural roads at 45+ MPH, etc.

Pull into the parking lot and get out and start to walk in. A guy passing by says "Don't forget your tape measure." There it was still sitting on the bumper. I couldn't believe it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

They mean that modern screwdrivers are cross-compatible.

Ferremit posted:

M6 = 10mm
M8 = 13mm
M10 = 15mm
M12 = 18mm
M14 = 21mm
M10 should be 17mm hex and M12 19mm hex?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ferremit posted:

Actually- One thing that TRULY shits me? The difference between ISO metric bolts and JIS metric bolts.

Same thread pitch but with JIS you have these bolt head sizes

M6 = 10mm
M8 = 12mm
M10 = 14mm
M12 = 17mm
M14 = 19mm

But with ISO , you get:

M6 = 10mm
M8 = 13mm
M10 = 15mm
M12 = 18mm
M14 = 21mm

So any japanese manufacturer will use JIS, and bolt suppliers here in Aus all sell poo poo in ISO, so you wind up with infuriating situations where you've got something like a bash plate held on with bolts that have the same thread pitch and diameter, but you need two different sockets to take the things off.

Every now and then I go down to the self service wrecker, pay my $2 entry and go and pull a bunch of toyotas apart and just walk out with a tool bag with about 30kg of random bolts and nuts in it to refill my stocks to avoid that poo poo.

Why have I never realized That? Holy poo poo you just solved so much loving confusion in my life.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
tl;dr from my mechanic:

"The bad news is that you're low on brake fluid because the cap came off. The good news is that we found the cap sitting on a flat spot under something else. Looks like it's been there since the last time you were in here... Six months ago."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Did they just admit to leaving it off? I'd want the whole thing flushed and replaced.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Craziest one of these stories I had is I was measuring some things and set the tape down (read as in where did I put my 10mm socket type stuff) then headed off to Menards in the truck. Backed out of the driveway with a curb, had about a 5 mile commute over bumpy rural roads at 45+ MPH, etc.

Pull into the parking lot and get out and start to walk in. A guy passing by says "Don't forget your tape measure." There it was still sitting on the bumper. I couldn't believe it.

About a week or so ago, I borrowed my sister's Yukon XL for a Home Depot run. ~15 miles down the road she calls me, saying that she needs me to drop by her office, as iButt showed that her work cellphone was moving north on I-287 :)

Swung back into the parking complex at her office and started searching the truck. No luck. I called the phone which didn't help, as it was linked to truck's entertainment system :rolleyes:

I called her again, asked her to go back into iclud and set the phone to play the "lost phone" chime

I then realized that I could hear the phone chiming faintly, but from the outside.

the phone was sitting on the running board, passenger side, underneath the rear door

i figured that it must have dropped it on the floor then got kicked out at some point. It was definitely one of my nephews as the phone still had the youtube app running in the foreground with a peppa pig playlist queued up

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

One time one of my guys left his coffee in one of the indentations on the side of my dump truck. I drove all the way back to the shop and back to the cemetery and it didnt move an inch let alone fall over around a corner. We were cracking up when I got back and we saw it still sitting there. I must be one smooth driver, haha.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I've come to the conclusion that the rear end-end of a vehicle is the most stable.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My dad left a planer on an open tailgate and didn't even make it out of the parking lot before it ate it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a gif out there of someone with a coffee mug on the roof of their sedan, motorcyclist pulls up next to them and hands it to them.

But google searching animated gifs loving sucks. So try this one instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hun_kdWVPps

I love how she dumps it out, ingrate.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

There's a gif out there of someone with a coffee mug on the roof of their sedan, motorcyclist pulls up next to them and hands it to them.

But google searching animated gifs loving sucks. So try this one instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hun_kdWVPps

I love how she dumps it out, ingrate.

It was probably cold at that point.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

cakesmith handyman posted:

Did they just admit to leaving it off? I'd want the whole thing flushed and replaced.

They did flush the fluid and replace it, but it was a different shop from the first one I'd visited because I'd just moved from Montana to Portland and driven the whole round trip 3 times with carloads of stuff.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

xzzy posted:

What you really need is an bluetooth socket set so when siri hears you say "where the gently caress did that 10mm go??" it makes the socket emit a beep.

This, but it should just automatically order you another 10-pack whenever it hears you.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of a beep, make it giggle like an rear end in a top hat.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

um excuse me posted:

Instead of a beep, make it giggle like an rear end in a top hat.

Should make the dog laughing sound from Duck Hunt

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

This, but it should just automatically order you another 10-pack whenever it hears you.

Can't you do that with one of those Amazon Dash buttons? Configure it to order 10mm sockets, put it in the garage, put a big "gently caress" sticker on it and punch errday!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shai-Hulud posted:

Can't you do that with one of those Amazon Dash buttons? Configure it to order 10mm sockets, put it in the garage, put a big "gently caress" sticker on it and punch errday!

https://www.amazon.com/Car-Guy-Tools-Socket-Drive/dp/B078719VN1/

Under the "Add to list" drop down is a "Add to your Dash Buttons" link.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Lolololol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cojawfee posted:

The product description is amazing.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The product description is amazing.

That is amazing. Mine is never 10mm but 14 or 15mm. My impact set goes from 14 to 16. Rage fills me.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Come the gently caress on, it's my last loving day.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Last day at a place you hate? I see an extended lunch and the mess being somebody else's problem :colbert:

But really, what the heck broke there?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Did you do that on purpose?

Cause I would have.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

That is amazing. Mine is never 10mm but 14 or 15mm. My impact set goes from 14 to 16. Rage fills me.
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › Horrible Mechanical Failures: Rage fills me.

~~or~~

Fermented Tinal posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › Horrible Mechanical Failures: Come the gently caress on, it's my last loving day.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fermented Tinal posted:

Holy poo poo spill socks actually work? I pick up those things and wonder how it'll absorb anything. They feel like a sock filled with cheap single ply toilet paper.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Wow, that looks like a solid couple of gallons of someone else's problem.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Sacrificial shop vac?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just tell Timmy the Intern to clean it up with a squeege and a dust pan.

And about 20 bins of kitty litter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Backstory, from what I understand of it is that three weeks ago oil started leaking from the oil filter housing and it was due to this o-ring:

That was replaced but the new oring only lessened the leak because the baler was acquired used by the company in 1973 and is thusly older than loving dirt and parts take time to acquire. It needs a new filter housing but apparently someone forgot to order it. That island of sorbent beside the baler was there to soak up the oil as it dripped out until said parts came in because this machine is somewhat mission-critical it being down creates a huge backlog of waste paper that can ultimately mean shutting down the plant until its dealt with. It normally runs 24/7 and processes between 2-6 tonnes of waste paper an hour.

The filter housing is that cylinder hiding out behind that plate. The oil's coming from around the top of it. This is what it looks like as of both now and before the oil spill.

What caused the spill is that the housing is knackered just enough that about an inch of the new o-ring managed to get pushed out by the 40hp hydraulic pump unit's ability to pressurize a shitload of hydraulic fluid really quickly. The oil isn't filtered at a constant pressure and every direction-change for the main ram (that bigass black 'pipe' behind the filter and the smaller pipe leading to it) will cause a momentary pressure spike or drop depending on direction of travel. Keep hammering at a weak spot in a seal and well, we know the result of that. I wish I'd taken a picture of the failure itself but I was more concerned with cleaning up the oil so the millwright could fix" the machine.

xzzy posted:

Just tell Timmy the Intern to clean it up with a squeege and a dust pan.

And about 20 bins of kitty litter.

Ahahahahaha, I used 6 bags of sorbent (it's a lot like non-clumping cat litter but it absorbs like 30x its own weight or something), and a floor squeegee.

That drum is filled right to the loving top, I had to pick the skid up with the forklift and shake it a bit to get the used sorbent to tamp down enough for me to put the lid and lockring on the drum.

um excuse me posted:

Holy poo poo spill socks actually work? I pick up those things and wonder how it'll absorb anything. They feel like a sock filled with cheap single ply toilet paper.

They're more like an airline pillow material tube stuffed with chunks of foam. I've taken one apart before but not this time. They weigh like nothing when dry but the used ones in the picture with the plastic drum probably weigh between 5-10lbs each now. They won't suck oil out of concrete like the sorbent does, but they will soak it up and stop it from spreading further. They were acting as a dam of sorts in the original picture since dumping an inch of sorbent all over the area would've made it spread even more.