Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Three and a half years living in Edinburgh without seeing the Orange Order and the fuckers just marched passed my flat.

That's a decent beer you've named yourself after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Am I allowed to talk in this thread about the Provost of Glasgow getting a Rolls Royce phantom as a bribe gift from a concerned citizen who magnanimously wanted to stay anonymous, and the retarded response from the council, divided commentariat, and Wings over Scotland?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

Am I allowed to talk in this thread about the Provost of Glasgow getting a Rolls Royce phantom as a bribe gift from a concerned citizen who magnanimously wanted to stay anonymous, and the retarded response from the council, divided commentariat, and Wings over Scotland?

Its utterly bizarre that they are even contemplating keeping it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Is GCC still accused of being in bed with the Orange Order or am I confusing it with another council?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Gotta let the Orange Order take over the whole loving city every loving year for Famine songs and Nazi salutes.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
https://twitter.com/wingsscotland/status/1004655391840628736?s=21

It’s cheap you see and accepting a gift is different to cash and therefore.....

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

I'm utterly certain that a car listed at 13mpg, and more likely to hit 8mpg will "save the council money"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Total Meatlove posted:

Don’t forget there was a Rolls Royce in Glasgow in the 70s too.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Well well, looks like the roller was donated by Boyd Tunnock, of Tunnock’s Teacakes, and facillitated by a Labour councillor.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2754266/rolls-royce-glasgow-city-council-boyd-tunnock/

Let's take a moment to remember when unionist activists put little teacakes in their avatars after the Scottish Resistance stunt. Scottish politics never fails.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Are nationalists still boycotting Tunnocks?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This whole story is whypeoplearedisengagedwithpolitics.txt

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I loving love Scottish politics, it's so ridiculous.

Anyway, Jonathon Shafi has a take this morning:

quote:

Bad poll for Labour in Scotland in Times. Down to 1 seat at Westminster elections and Corbyn approval rating has dropped by 27 points to -30.

Scotland needs various forms of opposition to address the definite shift the SNP are making towards neoliberalism.

That includes Labour and is not just the job of the pro-independence left.

But the main problem remains an inherently tribal attitude towards independence which lacks any kind of dynamism.

It is the first thing Leonard had to tackle but has avoided or repeated the same lines as usual. Surprised they have not talked about radical federalism, or sought to soften their approach towards independence supporters.

The argument that there are votes for Labour from No voters is diminished because the Tories clearly have this ground. Which is why they are also returned as the opposition in Holyrood in the same poll.

That bodes badly for what seems to be a general movement to the right on the economy, spearheaded by the SNP, who are painting by numbers.

Today's poll will only encourage such a strategy. Yet it buries a much more complicated picture in which a huge section of the Scottish working class have opted for independence as a means to social change, which will generate problems for the SNP down the line.

Situation remains fluid, but Labour need to think about how they navigate the national question - as the current approach is failing.

Fluid too because the poll says there would not be a pro-independence majority at the next Holyrood elections - which will energise further those who want a referendum before then.

David Torrance popped up in the comments to say that the GC proves the SNP are neoliberals who want to inflict austerity because the GC promises debt reduction without austerity. I don't even know.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

David Torrance popped up in the comments to say that the GC proves the SNP are neoliberals who want to inflict austerity because the GC promises debt reduction without austerity. I don't even know.

If you cut spending to the quick so that it has all the effects and outcomes of austerity but you don't call it austerity yourself that makes it not austerity? By the SNP's definition the UK is not currently in austerity but you'll not find many people saying that, including the SNP.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

I think Shafi and the RIC crowd have their own issues, he's basically right in this case. The problem is that Labour doesn't want to soften its constitutional rhetoric. Stuff like "nationalism before the NHS" might make activists feel good, but in practical terms its identical to the Tory line. The BBC almost seemed to confuse the two parties directly last week.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
A lot of the old guard in Scot Lab do seem to prioritise making GBS threads all over nationalists (when, you know, half of them used to vote for us) over everything else. Richard Leonard needs to get out there more and talk about stuff like housing and education and just drop mentioning independence at all. In that latest YouGov his approval rating is more than 50% 'Don't know' *even amongst Labour voters* and over 60% in the under 50 demographics which form the core of our support UK wide.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coohoolin posted:

David Torrance is right, for once in his life. The GC (I'm assuming this is the Growth Commission?) is proposing a neoliberal agenda which absolutely will inflict austerity. Sorry pal.

And Shafi is right that Labour need to moderate their ANYBODY BUT NATS stance. It's not even that I don't think they sincerely believe it, but it's a degree of tribalism that is off-putting to people who could otherwise be voting Labour. Labour & Nats are competing for a lot of the same voters, and shock horror, some of them voted for independence. Demonising them just further helps the SNP establish themselves as the 1 party in Scotland, with the Tories picking up the pieces behind them. God forbid Labour manage to finish behind the loving Liberals at the next elections but it seems possible.

We need a strong Scottish Labour, lead by the left, because that's going to have the double bonus of picking voters back from the Nats while also ensuring the Nats stop their rightward drift into failed neoliberal bullshit. An ideology which brutalised Scotland in the '80s & '90s and certainly would again in the '20s.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The SNP is a demonstration for of the rest of the uk of how a slightly left of centre party can still dominate the political landscape.

Just a shame about the nationalism.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Show me a political party in the UK that isn't nationalist.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol @ Pissflaps not being able to let go of being a slug even after being banned from all the UK threads.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol @ Pissflaps not being able to let go of being a slug even after being banned from all the UK threads.

it's amazing that he's softening on the SNP cause he hates corbyn so much. it's like the end of big brother - "do it to jeremy!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Show me a political party in the UK that isn't nationalist.

The Tories.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Gonzo McFee posted:

I was last around this thread in 2014 so lol, what was the story there?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

GC_ChrisReeves posted:

I was last around this thread in 2014 so lol, what was the story there?

Oh Pissflaps was banned from the UKMT after years of bad faith arguing, so he went to the CSPAM thread and got banned from posting in CSPAM all together. Now he travels the threads like a dishonoured samurai looking for somewhere to passive aggressively bitch about Corbyn

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Oh Pissflaps was banned from the UKMT after years of bad faith arguing, so he went to the CSPAM thread and got banned from posting in CSPAM all together. Now he travels the threads like a dishonoured samurai looking for somewhere to passive aggressively bitch about Corbyn

I'm pretty sure I've had to block him on another forum altogether. Poster with exactly the same tone, exactly the same non-arguments, exactly the same antipathy to Corbyn.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

I'm pretty sure I've had to block him on another forum altogether. Poster with exactly the same tone, exactly the same non-arguments, exactly the same antipathy to Corbyn.

It's ether him or one of the other 100,000 FBPE accounts ran out of Tory HQ.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Jedit posted:

Is pissflaps Tom Blenkinsop?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It was going so well, we managed to go for half a dozen posts before Gonzo turned up to talk about his lost love Pissflaps.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
According to livetweets George Kerevan is at the SNP meeting in Aberdeen ripping into the GCR and getting big applause from the crowd for it.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Wray1989

https://twitter.com/Ben_Wray1989/status/1005063048845983747

https://twitter.com/Ben_Wray1989/status/1005059707453825024

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Aramoro posted:

It was going so well, we managed to go for half a dozen posts before Gonzo turned up to talk about his lost love Pissflaps.

Sorry I upset the #discourse

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CoolCab posted:

it's amazing that he's softening on the SNP cause he hates corbyn so much. it's like the end of big brother - "do it to jeremy!"

I’m not softening on the SNP.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

According to livetweets George Kerevan is at the SNP meeting in Aberdeen ripping into the GCR and getting big applause from the crowd for it.

The GCR just seems like a bit of an own goal for the SNP, obviously it was going to be hard to suppress the results if it came out the way they didn't like, but they should have had an inkling before they started it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

The Tories.

You're going to have to explain to me how the Conservative and Unionist Party aren't British nationalists, or I'm being whooshed here.

Aramoro posted:

The GCR just seems like a bit of an own goal for the SNP, obviously it was going to be hard to suppress the results if it came out the way they didn't like, but they should have had an inkling before they started it.

Looking at the people who were appointed to the Commission I have no loving idea how they'd not expect this result. It's a bunch of business people and people from the SNP right.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 8, 2018

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Aramoro posted:

Yeah it's a dumb approach. The main defense seems to be "it's not policy, just one of many possible recommendations" so maybe they'll commission one from trade unions and people like Stiglitz to balance it out. Probably wishful thinking though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

You're going to have to explain to me how the Conservative and Unionist Party aren't British nationalists, or I'm being whooshed here.

Whooshed by the last 40 years of politics, maybe. Modern Tories don't give a poo poo about anything except making themselves richer.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
SNP conference passed a motion to establish a Scottish National Infrastructure Company. That's very cool.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

SNP conference passed a motion to establish a Scottish National Infrastructure Company. That's very cool.

Lol at Anne McLaughlin claiming to be the grassroots of the party because she lost her seat last year though. Just need to see if they can make it into a workable proposal now.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Aramoro posted:

Lol at Anne McLaughlin claiming to be the grassroots of the party because she lost her seat last year though. Just need to see if they can make it into a workable proposal now.

Common Weal have been doing a lot of think tank work on it, I think, as well as a national investment bank idea. Haven't read their material in depth though so couldn't tell you much about it but that's where you might look if you're interested.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

I knew Jonathan Shafi at uni, and it's kinda interesting to me to witness how he hasn't really changed since being the loudest voice in seminars. Now, as then, I kinda sympathise with what he's saying, but it's too simplistic, too vague, and too caught up in categorisation to contribute much to the debate.

It's also striking that anyone with even a passing interest in Scottish politics could describe the snp saying neoliberal things as "a shift." It's a well worn point by now, but the capacity of the pro independence left to view anything pro-independence as inherently left is still galling.

What's ironic is that Shafi says exactly what I think here, but he doesn't think it applies to anyone who is pro-independence:

quote:

But the main problem remains an inherently tribal attitude towards independence which lacks any kind of dynamism. 

Which brings me to Pissflaps:

CoolCab posted:

it's amazing that he's softening on the SNP cause he hates corbyn so much.

Is it not incredibly obviously to everyone that the snp aren't tartan tories but rather nationalist new labour in style as well as substance? Pissflaps, for all his myriad faults, has always been consistent on liking new labour- I'm honestly surprised he's not historically been MORE positive about the snp.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

Is it not incredibly obviously to everyone that the snp aren't tartan tories but rather nationalist new labour in style as well as substance? Pissflaps, for all his myriad faults, has always been consistent on liking new labour- I'm honestly surprised he's not historically been MORE positive about the snp.

The dare to Take The Votes and Not Lust For Nuclear Hellfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

The dare to Take The Votes and Not Lust For Nuclear Hellfire.

quote: