Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Willfrey posted:

Oh, thanks for sending that ticket update on that $5000 laser scanner I returned for rebuild. Oh hang on I have to log into your website to view said ticket? Oh wait hangon, this isnt your site, it's a copy/paste from the ticket ya'll submitted to the other company actually doing the rebuild? I wonder what their rebuild quote would be as opposed to yours

Find out next time something breaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

manwithoutskin posted:

Anyone else having fun with Comcast Business Telephone apparent nationwide outage? Been at least 2 hours for some of our locations now. New England.

Many people, many such (support) cases

National outage: SI 028875802

I don't work there just see this from a mailing list - no one has any ETA or anything just posted yet just acknowledgement .

The last ETR someone suggested was 20 minutes ago so either you're fixed or it is still broken.

Check Schrodinger's phone

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The farthest possible thing from pissing me off: I finally got a rental less than 60 miles away from work! I sign the lease tomorrow.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Motherfuck me the company that bought us uses O365 which I knew but we're transitioning off of our old Gmail setup way faster than I was expecting and I'm already having to deal with so much goddamn Outlook troubleshooting which I was so happy to have gotten away from.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm raking in ALL THE OT right now, but drat is it pissing me off to tidy up other people's mess. Even if the customer thinks I'm a hero.

In addition, my boss (from the company that acquired us) is pissing me off. Ugh. We don't really communicate the same way/that well and it's leading to some frustration.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I think our Security Director is having a meltdown. He just tried to recuse his team from doing security on our new cloud offering and now he’s firing off trump level emails and it’s great. But it’s gonna piss me off if our security is hosed yo.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Sort of pissing me off: my boss saying that we are probably going to get more “hair on fire” requests through the end of the year due to compliance and/or reorgs and/or acquisitions. I wanted to be a fireman when I was a kid but this is not what I had in mind.

Not pissing me off: her telling us to take sick days if we fell like we are going to lose it from the pressure and need a day to recharge.

Also not pissing me off but amusing me: this graphic from some O365 email I got. First glance looks like the guy is hanging himself from the cloud.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

DizzyBum posted:

...You're talking about cleaning the keyboard, right? :ohdear:

:ohdear:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

tomapot posted:

Sort of pissing me off: my boss saying that we are probably going to get more “hair on fire” requests through the end of the year due to compliance and/or reorgs and/or acquisitions. I wanted to be a fireman when I was a kid but this is not what I had in mind.

Not pissing me off: her telling us to take sick days if we fell like we are going to lose it from the pressure and need a day to recharge.

Also not pissing me off but amusing me: this graphic from some O365 email I got. First glance looks like the guy is hanging himself from the cloud.

A few modifications to make it more noose like and hellooooo Skype avatar

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes mate just slam the update button in vCenter without reading anything or taking a shapshot or verifying the backup before you start, no way will that end badly.

Oh the upgrade failed? Shame that I’m busy as gently caress for the next couple of weeks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes mate just slam the update button in vCenter without reading anything or taking a shapshot or verifying the backup before you start, no way will that end badly.

Oh the upgrade failed? Shame that I’m busy as gently caress for the next couple of weeks.

vcenter ceases working

"Hey so how did that upgrade work out?"
"I don't know! I'm busy with something else"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

5.5 to 6.0 U2? That update was buggy as poo poo for my last company, we rolled back three times before VMware support stepped in and got it working

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

tomapot posted:

The intended picture has a great unintended message too. Computer within easy reach right in front of him but what does he do? Bends over backwards and stretches the poo poo out of his arm in order to reach the cloud instead.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

tomapot posted:

I really need to have some time to photoshop a noose into that...for a new Lync/SfB/whateverthefuckitis Profile Image.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Speaking of THE CLOUD(tm), one of my current pet peeves is when home storage solutions (NAS, etc.) are advertised as "your own personal cloud". That doesn't even make sense!!! :argh:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DizzyBum posted:

Speaking of THE CLOUD(tm), one of my current pet peeves is when home storage solutions (NAS, etc.) are advertised as "your own personal cloud". That doesn't even make sense!!! :argh:

Wait till you hear about private on-prem cloud solutions

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Which is just a fancy way of saying so much money and equipment in your budget that you will never run out of either.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

It sort of does in terms of cloud meaning "opaque internet accessible storage".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DizzyBum posted:

Local shitbag MSP keeps trying to sell us Exchange and backup and all this other poo poo 'on their cloud'

Do they have servers at their office or are they just reselling poo poo?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Local shitbag MSP keeps trying to sell us Exchange and backup and all this other poo poo 'on their cloud'

I'd bet a lot on them reselling.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bob Morales posted:

For everyone's sake hope it's the latter?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

Ask them. It's either in their office (bad), in a datacenter (could be good, good be bad), or Office 365 (probably good).

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

The MSP I fired hosted servers in their office. They started as a telecom, grew to an ISP, claims they 'invented' MSPs in 2007, and added hosting services since they already had the datacenter from their previous excursions.

It shouldn't surprise you that they couldn't do any of those things efficiently and constantly scraped by bottom-of-the-barrel service.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This one bought the old DR site from a Fortune 500 in the area. But I wouldn't trust them do poo poo.

The last place I worked at, we contracted with them for some stuff.

So if we had a new email account, we had to send a ticket over there telling them what account we were adding so they could plug it into their spam filter. Half the time they wouldn't do it, or they'd spell the name wrong...

Also they were charging us like a buck more per account than if we just bought the drat service ourselves. Asked my boss why we had these useless fucks as middlemen when we have 10 people in IT...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Especially for spam filters, the extra dollar per user is for the privilege to say "yeah gently caress those guys!" when people endlessly complain about IT services.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

skooma512 posted:

Our 3 new people kick rear end and are hungry. The most senior guy pulls his weight but ends up getting bogged down a lot. One guy doesn’t really pull his weight.

And I could be doing a whole lot better.
Yep. Everything here is so disorganized and adversarial that I'm feeling really disengaged. I should step up and get some poo poo done but when management says verbatim "I don't care about this" or "That solution might improve things for our customers but we're not doing it" I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo. Sigh.

fist4jesus posted:

Had training today. And something I did was used as a example of what not to do. In training rolled out to hundreds of people over several countries.
That's really lovely and I'm sorry that it happened. If I used a real case like that with enough specific detail to tie to someone, I'd ask them first.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

Ah, did they just try to blind update to 6.7? I'm sorry for your loss.

I have not had a single vCenter upgrade to 6.7 go nicely thus far.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I figure this is the right thread for this:

Does anyone know of a good online restaurant reservation system that includes a decent workflow to add to waitstaff? Right now the place just takes phone calls and writes everything in a notebook which the staff look at, but as part of a project for them I foresee them wanting to add an online reservation system.

A wordpress plugin would be ideal, but other packages can be dealt with.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So right before lunch I get a call from the CEO, he's going to lay someone off (he means fired, we just hired 2 people to this department) and wants accounts disabled at 12:00 because that's the meeting time.

This person had also brought in some personal computer hardware (mouse, keyboard, and chair, they didn't like ours). Our policy is IT makes sure they aren't taking the wrong one. It's Friday, I can wear a T-shirt on Friday, so I'm going directly to the bar followed by the movies after work with my brother and dad to see Deadpool because we've just never had a common time until today. So while they are packing up their desk I'm standing around making sure they don't take the wrong thing while wearing this

It just felt very very wrong. I normally don't wear a T-shirt on Fridays and just wear normal work shirt, but nope the one day I'm not 100% professional.

Also the Customer Service manger was not informed that the CEO was firing this person and they were apparently in the middle of a big project working with a customer. My guess is a customer complained directly to the CEO and name dropped.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

"your own personal cloud"

Hey, I shower and change clothes daily... :effort:

It's just that I can't resist the siren call of the burritos. :gas:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anybody got a USB network card that can reliably push close to a gigabit? I'm not trying to do anything scientific but being able to pull more than 800Mbps through it would come in handy when testing things that are meant to be running at a gigabit, and I think a lot of the cheapo ones struggle.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I am loving livid right now.

Our POs actually did something smart for once and decided that, since Microsoft has ended support for Visual FoxPro, we would replace our reports engine in the next version of the software I do tier3 for. The way our process works, development codes a feature, QA tests and approves it, then after code cutoff they send us a build to test in house before tier3 sends it to the beta testers - who are all live customers testing the product for us pre-release.

Knowing how spectacularly they've hosed up the last 2 releases, we (as in, my department up to and including the director of support) have been pushing Dev and QA to really get their poo poo together. QA held a "sprint review" (that's what we call feature demos because we're ~agile~ ) where they swore up and down they'd been testing the reports side by side in the new and old engines for months and had 0 outstanding defects, before handing the build over to us.

In 20 minutes, I found 8 defects in one report. Everything from missing labels, to columns not being populated with data, to calculations not being done correctly or at all, to my favorite the date criteria don't work. As in, you can't run a report for last month to see how much money you brought in. You can set the date to 5/1/18-5/31-18, but it will pull records from random dates 10 years in the past. It's not even like "it's looking for May of any year", I can't find any kind of rhyme or reason for what it's pulling. This is THE report, the one everyone runs every day or should, and it's broken out of the box. Beta starts first week of July, and at this point we're going to have to test every criteria of 40+ reports. The manager of QA loving bald-faced lied to us.

I don't even know why I'm surprised. This company is entirely incapable of either being proactive about anything, or holding people accountable for their fuckups. They just let the same idiots sit in the same desks making the same mistakes over and over and then scratch their heads and wonder where their market share went. I'm pretty much in till release this fall, because I can't let the people on my team down, but I am so loving ready to :yotj: already.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I'm pretty much in till release this fall, because I can't let the people on my team down, but I am so loving ready to :yotj: already.

You can, and if you get the opportunity, should. All you are doing by thinking this way is validating managements belief that if they just stay the course everything will turn out well.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Take it to the CEO directly? Worst case they let you go for not being a ~team player~, best case some light from on high shines on the mushroom growing pile of poo poo the QA team apparently lives in. Bring both reports side by side and ask him if this is something he's like the company's name on, and if not, to ask the directors/managers of the devs and QA why it's like that.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

You can, and if you get the opportunity, should. All you are doing by thinking this way is validating managements belief that if they just stay the course everything will turn out well.

Oh, I'm definitely out after the release. I don't want to do it right now because it would only hurt my team and support as a whole. I care enough about them to tough it out.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Take it to the CEO directly? Worst case they let you go for not being a ~team player~, best case some light from on high shines on the mushroom growing pile of poo poo the QA team apparently lives in. Bring both reports side by side and ask him if this is something he's like the company's name on, and if not, to ask the directors/managers of the devs and QA why it's like that.

We're owned by a venture capital firm and our CEO is also the CEO of like 5 other companies. He flies in twice a year to tell us about how our revenue is up 15% this year but we're still juuuust under the goal for bonuses, then disappears again. There's like 5 layers of management between me and him, too.

Our director is meticulous and documents everything, so she has been able to call QA and Dev on their bullshit every time, but nothing has changed. We may have gone backward, even.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I don't want to do it right now because it would only hurt my team and support as a whole. I care enough about them to tough it out.

Must be a comfortable Well. What happens when the release is delayed again. Are you still feeling symapthetic to your team?

You are

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Oh, I'm definitely out after the release. I don't want to do it right now because it would only hurt my team and support as a whole. I care enough about them to tough it out.

Start looking for something else straight away. gently caress those people, you don’t owe them anything and you’re retarded if you think they would keep you on for another week/month/release because that’d suit your needs better if they’d ever wanted to get rid of you.

If it hurts your team, it hurts the company. That’s only way they’ll learn not be lying pieces of poo poo. By staying on your hurting your team more in the long run because you’re enabling this kind of behaviour.

When people lie and screw over teams without repercussions you’ve become the toilet. Nobody will care if everybody shits all over you.

Get out of the well, goon.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

LochNessMonster posted:

When people lie and screw over teams without repercussions you’ve become the toilet. Nobody will care if everybody shits all over you.

Get out of the well toilet, goon.

ftfy for consistency

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Chill guys he's getting out of the well by digging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Found out my ex boss was lying about how much we spend on compute. We are spending 5x what what he was reporting. All so he could try and play with the big boys.