Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

The Dregs posted:

I just got Chronotrigger on my phone and I don't get this anime poo poo at all. This is the best game of all time?

I tried the DS version recently and wasn't feeling it myself. combat was kinda bland imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think part of what made chronotrigger such a big deal was they put a lot of effort into both the sound design and the character expressions and they were super impressive for 16bit tech but that was almost immediately superseded by the next gen of consoles and we saw huge steps forward in both those areas

I played it recently and even with nostalgia it’s not amazing

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Chronotrigger is bad. RPGS are pretty bad in general, some I assume are good games.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
counterpoint: chronotrigger is very cool and good

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
When Japan exports its games, they’re not exporting their best.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

List of good japanese games on the ps4 that aren't remakes or re-releases:

Resident Evil VII
Yakuza 6

If you include remakes and re-releases I guess you can add Rez and EDF in.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IDONTPOST posted:

Chronotrigger is bad. RPGS are pretty bad in general, some I assume are good games.

Ultima 4, 5, 6, and 7, Fallout 1 & 2 and several others were great

Also this is more bizarre than controversial but the two Buck Rogers RPGs (Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed) are still some of my favorite sci-fi RPGs ever and despite what that name would suggest are actually pretty dark dystopian games with a real hard-sci kind of approach to quite a bit more than you'd expect. In fact one of the only times you run into the title character you can shoot him and take his gun.

I really like how there's no aliens, it's all genetic engineering for planets.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Quote-Unquote posted:

Resident Evil VII
Yakuza 6

What about Yakuza Zero though

and they also got Hokuto Ga Gotoku

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

signalnoise posted:

What about Yakuza Zero though

and they also got Hokuto Ga Gotoku

true i haven't played Yakuza 0, I should probably give it ago but I'm guessing it's much jankier than 6

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

true i haven't played Yakuza 0, I should probably give it ago but I'm guessing it's much jankier than 6

The graphics aren't as nice but it's a better game overall.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

steinrokkan posted:

I wasn't being facetious. Old games loving suck. Pretending that Atari or Nintendo games were good is like claiming that the Edison movies were as good as Hollywood studio cinema.

Theres good games in every era. Even graphically. Looks wise Space Quest 3 still looks amazing to this day.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jeza posted:

I mean OoT is a great example. It's forever lauded by the generation that grew up with it as still one of the greatest games of all time, but by modern standards it's hopelessly simplistic and not interesting or remarkable in any way.

Ive never been a huge fan of the 3D zeldas in general

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Quote-Unquote posted:

Resident Evil VII
Yakuza 6

Also Persona 5 and Monhun

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

Theres good games in every era. Even graphically. Looks wise Space Quest 3 still looks amazing to this day.

Yeah, a huge part of the fun and fascination in older games, for me, is seeing talented artists turning out striking and memorable works within the limitations of their medium.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
All the credit Super Mario 64 gets for "figuring out" 3D platforming is bullshit because they still haven't.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

Persona 5 is bad sorry
Monster Hunter was pretty good for a while so that can go in my list of good japanese games, bringing the total up to 3 (maybe 4 if Yakuza 0 is good like 6 is)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
super mario 64 is about as good as it gets

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Quote-Unquote posted:

Persona 5 is bad sorry
Monster Hunter was pretty good for a while so that can go in my list of good japanese games, bringing the total up to 3 (maybe 4 if Yakuza 0 is good like 6 is)

Who the hell has played Yakuza 6 but not 0.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

all zelda games are basically the same game apart from the second one

I played breath of the wild up to the first boss after the bit where you're farting around in the water with that merman guy and you shoot all the freezing mines and stuff and haven't gone back to it since because it was boring. the little shrine dungeon puzzles were good, shame about everything else.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

Who the hell has played Yakuza 6 but not 0.

I bought 6 on a whim because it looked interesting and ended up really enjoying it. I think the only trophies I haven't got are for completing it on hard and getting all stats to 300 but I'll do that in a ng+ sometime. I very, very rarely like a game enough to play it that much.

I've been reluctant to play the older ones because they all look really shonky gameplay wise in comparison.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Quote-Unquote posted:

I bought 6 on a whim because it looked interesting and ended up really enjoying it. I think the only trophies I haven't got are for completing it on hard and getting all stats to 300 but I'll do that in a ng+ sometime. I very, very rarely like a game enough to play it that much.

I've been reluctant to play the older ones because they all look really shonky gameplay wise in comparison.

In terms of releases 0 was sort of the breakthrough game for Yakuza in the West, it just came out early last year so its not super old. Its not on the same engine as Yakuza 6 but its not running on software meant for a PS3 either. Theres a LOT to do in that game, more than in 6. Its worth looking at.

Yaks 4 and 5 were PS3 games though and probably do have the shokniess youre talkin about.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

In terms of releases 0 was sort of the breakthrough game for Yakuza in the West, it just came out early last year so its not super old. Its not on the same engine as Yakuza 6 but its not running on software meant for a PS3 either. Theres a LOT to do in that game, more than in 6. Its worth looking at.

Yaks 4 and 5 were PS3 games though and probably do have the shokniess youre talkin about.

I'll probably buy it when it's on sale

I'm playing through Divinity: Original Sin on PS4 entirely in co-op mode and it's a blast. It's really surprising how well the controls work on the gamepad. Trying to target AOE abilities is sometimes a bit fussy but otherwise it's pretty solid. I wish there were more co-op RPGs (actual RPGs, not Diablo and stuff, as much as I enjoy things like that). D:OS2 says it has 4 player online and splitscreen co-op which sounds amazing, though i can't imagine it being playable with 4 people on one TV.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

It's also got a couple of really good fighters too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

It is a big thing. A big, mostly empty, kind of uninteresting thing. It's a lot of game with very little to do, at least right now.

You know what baffles me about Sea of Thieves? At least as someone who hasn't played it.

I have no problem with its lack of power progression for players. In fact, I think that's for the best. But what I find utterly baffling is that the way your character plays the first time you start up the game is going to be identical to how they play after 100 hours. You don't get access to new weapons or new capabilities at all. I certainly don't think that players need to get stronger over time in a game like that, but surely expanding your options for play style as you go would be a good thing, right?

Again, I haven't played it. Maybe if there was more varied stuff to do in the game it wouldn't be a big deal. But at least from the outside that already turned me off of ever giving it a try.

Meme Emulator posted:

:hai:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unpopular opinion: Pyre was the best game of 2017.

Yes, I know what else came out that year.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Harrow posted:

Unpopular opinion: Pyre was the best game of 2017.

Yes, I know what else came out that year.

Man Im even having trouble calling that game good.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

Quote-Unquote posted:

the little shrine dungeon puzzles were good

those are like 99% of the game

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I think part of what made chronotrigger such a big deal was they put a lot of effort into both the sound design and the character expressions and they were super impressive for 16bit tech but that was almost immediately superseded by the next gen of consoles and we saw huge steps forward in both those areas

I played it recently and even with nostalgia it’s not amazing

RPGs pre-32 bit era tend to have aged really bad. Most indisputed "classics" are mediocre at best by today's standards. The worst example is Earthbound, a game with terrible pacing, boring boss fights, uninspired dungeons, and so forth being referred to today as THE cult classic game. Hell even the zaniness of it doesn't stand out that much, but that is to be expected since it inspired so many titles.

Secret of Mana is also really bad as it began as a game for the SNES CD and then had to be recobbled together to fit in a cartridge and it really shows when playing it.

The only RPG from that era that has aged well that I can think of is Shin Megami Tensei II.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 8, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sega was by far and wide the best major console maker. They made excellent hardware that corresponded with generations very well and their first party support was top notch. They had a very solid philosophy for gaming.

It's a shame that they were the ones to go.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

all zelda games are basically the same game apart from the second one

I played breath of the wild up to the first boss after the bit where you're farting around in the water with that merman guy and you shoot all the freezing mines and stuff and haven't gone back to it since because it was boring. the little shrine dungeon puzzles were good, shame about everything else.

:lol: you gave up right before the first big puzzle dungeon.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sega was by far and wide the best major console maker. They made excellent hardware that corresponded with generations very well and their first party support was top notch. They had a very solid philosophy for gaming.

Sega's only successful home console was the second-best console of its generation, and its success was fueled by third party titles.

Sony's entire PSX strategy in the 90s could be summarized as "what if Sega weren't complete morons about home consoles?"

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 8, 2018

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Counterpoint: Sega CD and 32x.

I think that they should get points for being early adopters and having some novel features (really wish the Dreamcast's small in-controller LCD had caught on), but being first to market meant that they were the ones who had to take poo poo for the tech just not being ready.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As I Sega fanboy growing up, I'd have agreed with that. Looking back though. Sega hosed up every step of the way. I've still got a soft spot for every system they ever made except the dumb Genesis add ons, but every one of their systems had a better counterpart, glaringly so with the Saturn and Dreamcast.

The Genesis was a legit good system though. SNES was just way better.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sega unfortunately made the wrong move every single step from banking on the 32x to taked on 3D on Saturn hardware, etc.

That said some of these mistakes are what made them so great. The Saturn being a 2D beast led to some incredible experiences, the Dreamcast focus on arcade styled games during their twilight was wonderful, Sega also focusing often on underfocused aspects of hardware such as CPU speed and image quality was a real treat.

veni veni veni posted:

The Genesis was a legit good system though. SNES was just way better.

Most of the SNES classics have aged poorly and aren't that deep of games. Genesis games tended to age far better.

I'd take Sonic, Strider, Yuyu Hakusho, Shinobi III, Ranger X, and Gunstar Heroes over pretty much anything from the SNES, besides possibly Shin Megami Tensei II.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 8, 2018

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

There wasn't one good Sega game. Sonic is mario for fart huffers

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Most of the SNES classics have aged poorly and aren't that deep of games. Genesis games tended to age far better.

:vince:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

For reference I had both a SNES and Genesis growing up.

I initially I preferred the Super. But revisiting both catalogs extensively some years ago, I find the Genesis to be far superior.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: you gave up right before the first big puzzle dungeon.

Does the game get less ugly and does the combat get less tedious?

I still have it, just haven't played it (or the switch) in six months because there are good games to play instead.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I still like the Genesis sound chip more than the SNES

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

I'm struggling to think of one playable Sega game outside Sonic, which is also unplayable