Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think it would be fun to continue to see spinoffs that radically change the nature and structure of the game, especially if they are in some way compatible with the core games, which should probably continue changing incrementally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

OgreNoah posted:

More like bring back triples!

I had so much fun cheesing the Battle Maison with Protean Greninja, Garchomp, and a lvl 1 Aron.

I loving loved triples. I want to see them return!

I had a team of Talonflame, Tyrantrum, Vivillon, Noivern, Gourgeist, and Heliolisk that I used I the Maison.

Tyrantrum in the middle using rockslide and earthquake with flyers on either side, Noivern can Boomburst if it's next to Gourgeist, Vivillon can use Powder repeatedly.

I didn't get too far, but it was just such a fun group of Pokemon to play with. I loved being about to use a full team of 6.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Sky Battles being poo poo just might be the only thing this whole thread can agree on.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ROFL Octopus posted:

The gimmick battles I’m most resentful towards is sky battles, for being the direct cause of so many pokemon looking so lovely and lifeless in battle.

What they did to Xatu is unforgivable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

less laughter posted:

I'm warming up to Proto Entei's design:

this just looks like if someone set ninetales on fire

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Electric Phantasm posted:

What they did to Xatu is unforgivable.

:yikes:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Diet Poison posted:

Sky Battles being poo poo just might be the only thing this whole thread can agree on.

It's weird that they made the XY models to last for future generations but then had a lot of them conform to a feature that only lasted for one pair of games.

Then this poo poo happens the very next pair of games.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
pixilate Sylveon@Life Orb with hyper beam, hyper voice, yawn, and protect is a goddamn beast in the Battle Tree

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1004514234149924865

Key word: Bridesmaid, not bride

Machamp all the way, so he can carry the rings, throw petals, and guide the bride to the altar
Diancie.

EDIT: Ending off the ceremony with a gentle rain of diamonds on everyone who didn't get into the gazebo fast enough.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1004514234149924865

Key word: Bridesmaid, not bride

Machamp all the way, so he can carry the rings, throw petals, and guide the bride to the altar

Mime Jr, shiny Sylveon, and Primarina, with Mew as Maid of Honor

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

less laughter posted:

I want to cross over to the mirror universe in which the Inverse Battle type chart is the regular type chart.

Tiny Brain: Pokemon Randomizer

Big Brain: Randomizer with an inverse type chart

Galaxy brain: The game is the default, the type chart is randomized :getin:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Tiny Brain: Pokemon Randomizer

Big Brain: Randomizer with an inverse type chart

Galaxy brain: The game is the default, the type chart is randomized :getin:

if you randomize pokemon types this effectively happens. i did a type/ability randomized Black 2 run a while back and ended up making my own pokedex in Google Docs to track everything, it was satisfying the same way drawing an etrian odyssey map is

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
So it looks like I'm the only one looking forward to Let's Go Eevee, mostly because my daughter is a little too obsessed with eevee thanks to Pokemon Go and me telling her about eevee on our first walk on the day of the game's release (eevee was one of the few Pokemon I saw nearby and I was telling her about it while we were searching.)

I take it the chances of them adding multiple save slots is near zero so if I want my own play-through I'll probably need to get Let's Go Pikachu, right?

If you were to introduce the DS/3DS games to a 7 year old, would you do Sun/Moon or one of the earlier remakes?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fire Storm posted:

So it looks like I'm the only one looking forward to Let's Go Eevee, mostly because my daughter is a little too obsessed with eevee thanks to Pokemon Go and me telling her about eevee on our first walk on the day of the game's release (eevee was one of the few Pokemon I saw nearby and I was telling her about it while we were searching.)

I take it the chances of them adding multiple save slots is near zero so if I want my own play-through I'll probably need to get Let's Go Pikachu, right?

Nope! With the Switch you can make your own profile and you will be able to play your own save file.

Uh different story if you want trade with your daughter though.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Blaze Dragon posted:

To this day I don't get what they were thinking with Sky Battles. Doubles, Triples and Rotations heavily change the game and how it is played, adding variety to it. Inverse Battles force you out of your zone of comfort, change your 20-years and on mentality completely, they're a challenge to the experts.

Sky Battles...limit the amount of Pokemon you can use. That's it. They're more limited battles.

In a game that lets you choose what you use to this level, limiting that is bad and only invites boredom.

Let Hawlucha sky battle you cowardly fucks. Come out and FIGHT :parrot:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Fire Storm posted:

If you were to introduce the DS/3DS games to a 7 year old, would you do Sun/Moon or one of the earlier remakes?

my gf and i are supremely hyped for let's go pikachu/eevee fwiw

a lot of the criticism seems to be some fussy rear end nerd poo poo

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I can understand feeling a little down that we don't know anything about gen 8 yet, but let's go will probably be a fun polished experience that will bring a lot of people into pokemon that would never have played anything other than the phone game otherwise.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

There is nothing turbonerds hate more than their hobby becoming more accessible

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the lets go games are the point where a bunch of nerds are coming at odds with the fact that the series for kids that they like is making games aimed at kids and that the last time a game related to generation 1 came out it was straight up like 15 years ago which is more than enough time for a child to be born and grow up to an age where they might feasibly like a series aimed at kids

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The main funny thing about Let's Go Eevee is that you can’t evolve Eevee, the evolution Pokémon.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i think let's go looks boring but there's a normal game coming too so ultimately who gives a poo poo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I would be fine with it if it wasn't limited to Gen 1 pokemon.

Not being able to evolve Golbat or Onix is some bullshit since Crobat/Steelix rule and why the hell would you limit that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Quote is not edit

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Zore posted:

Not being able to evolve Golbat or Onix is some bullshit since Crobat/Steelix rule and why the hell would you limit that.

Lucky for you this is pokemon and after like a year and a half there will be a gen 2 let's go game

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

Zoran posted:

The main funny thing about Let's Go Eevee is that you can’t evolve Eevee, the evolution Pokémon.

Good, Eevee is way better and cuter then any of it’s evolutionions anyway.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Lucky for you this is pokemon and after like a year and a half there will be a gen 2 let's go game

That will have similar boneheaded poo poo. If I can't use my favorite pokemon what is even the point.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zoran posted:

You can't evolve the starter Eevee, but you'll be able to get more Eevees that you can evolve.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

There is nothing turbonerds hate more than their hobby becoming more accessible

Funnily enough accessibility is exactly why I dislike these new games, because the gyro is apparently required even in handheld mode. People with disabilities had a big problem playing Odyssey and I don't want the same thing to happen here.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

you can click a button to catch instead of waggling

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

my gf and i are supremely hyped for let's go pikachu/eevee fwiw

a lot of the criticism seems to be some fussy rear end nerd poo poo

The fussy rear end nerd poo poo in pokemon owns and I can’t wait to play the 2019 games brother

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

IDONTPOST posted:

you can click a button to catch instead of waggling

You still have to use the gyroscope for aiming though, as seen in this article: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-and-eevee-everything-you-n/1100-6459253/

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sinistral posted:

Good, Eevee is way better and cuter then any of it’s evolutionions anyway.

This is very close to true, but Leafeon is the actual best.

I do like Shiny Flareon though because it looks most like a fluffy, grown up Eevee.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

After getting over my hang-ups with the Go stuff (and getting back on Go thanks to my girlfriend), this is my main issue with Let's Go. It just feels like a bad nostalgia grab, Kanto looks exactly the same as it did (and, thanks to that, much worse because now you have horribly angular design in the modern era, so it looks really off) and you're limited to the original 150 when several more Pokemon came out since that time.

Were this not the case, I'd probably be a bit hyped for it (not a lot, but a bit) but instead it's just FRLG again, but with weird changes for an audience that doesn't include me, but does include several people who I'm sure will enjoy it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm more confused about the simplification to be honest because as a game that you play through the story on with just the OG 150 it's not like pokemon is not accessible as all hell. I mean it is a game for actual children already, so I question what the crossover between Go fans casual enough to not want to play an actual pokemon game but into video games enough to have bought a switch is. I mean the game is gonna sell well because it's the only pokemon game on the switch so even people like me who would have preferred this announcement to just have been Gen 8 will be getting it, I'm just curious as to how big that target audience actually is.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm more confused about the simplification to be honest because as a game that you play through the story on with just the OG 150 it's not like pokemon is not accessible as all hell. I mean it is a game for actual children already, so I question what the crossover between Go fans casual enough to not want to play an actual pokemon game but into video games enough to have bought a switch is. I mean the game is gonna sell well because it's the only pokemon game on the switch so even people like me who would have preferred this announcement to just have been Gen 8 will be getting it, I'm just curious as to how big that target audience actually is.

They're targeting all the people that bought switches for their rooftop parties!

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I think it's really dumb if it truly is a strict "original 150" pokédex and doesn't include the added evolutions and baby forms from later generations. Also, throw some Alolan forms in there, at least the less climate-related ones (Rattata, Meowth)

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Chill Penguin posted:

I think it's really dumb if it truly is a strict "original 150" pokédex and doesn't include the added evolutions and baby forms from later generations. Also, throw some Alolan forms in there, at least the less climate-related ones (Rattata, Meowth)

I think they confirmed alolan forms would be there which makes it even more confusing re: babies/evos.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Nessa posted:

I loving loved triples. I want to see them return!

I had a team of Talonflame, Tyrantrum, Vivillon, Noivern, Gourgeist, and Heliolisk that I used I the Maison.

Tyrantrum in the middle using rockslide and earthquake with flyers on either side, Noivern can Boomburst if it's next to Gourgeist, Vivillon can use Powder repeatedly.

I didn't get too far, but it was just such a fun group of Pokemon to play with. I loved being about to use a full team of 6.

Nice. The Greninja/Aron/Garchomp worked with Greninja using Mat Block, Aron using Endeavor to set someone to 10, and Garchomp Swords Dancing, resulting in 1 nearly down opponent, a team at max health and a boosted Dragonshark, ready to earthquake the hell out of everything. Aron can Endeavor another pokemon almost down the next turn too thanks to Berry Juice and Sturdy.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm convinced that the reason for the restriction is that's how many are going to be there at launch. However, the game will also have rolling updates and patches in the same way that other Switch games such as Mario Odyssey and Kirby Allies have. They'll introduce more Pokémon in batches in these updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zuzie posted:

I'm convinced that the reason for the restriction is that's how many are going to be there at launch. However, the game will also have rolling updates and patches in the same way that other Switch games such as Mario Odyssey and Kirby Allies have. They'll introduce more Pokémon in batches in these updates.

Well thats what Pokemon Go did and 2 years later we're just now at Gen 3. But I doubt that's gonna happen with Let's Go games, cause where would you put those Pokemon? Kanto is a small region after all.