Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends
Speaking of gross German food, I'm surprised no one has mentioned spargel. I cannot wait till spargel season is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It’s just asparagus.

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends
Asparagus grown under trash bags and dirt for three years. It is served with everything drowning in butter and hollandaise sauce.

Action-Man fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 8, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It’s just asparagus.

You say this as though it absolves it.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Spargel is loving delicious. Spargelsalat, Spargelcremesuppe, Spargel mit Butter, Spargel im Schinkenmantel, heck you can even get an amazing Spargelburger here or Flammkuchen with Spargel 🤤

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

what’s worse: spargel or natto?

vs

:barf:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Saladman posted:

Everything I see is more or less accurate? Like edges are rounded and tapered more and don't represent the exact boundary, but literally every country in the entire world is drawn like that so it's internally consistent. I don't think it's meant to be a map so precise that you could set national borders based on it. I think people's eyes are just drawn to it as an error because all the "straight line" divisions look fine, and straight line division provinces tend to be the biggest ones in the world thanks to US/Canada/Australia/Sahara/Greenland. If you zoom in really far, you'll notice the borders in Europe are just as wonky as the ones in DRC and China. I don't know enough about SVGs to know if there is some technical reason (e.g. hard to open a map if it has 1000000000 anchor points for every border precisely drawn) or if it was just done for the sake of time and simplicity.

I mean, the country borders are also approximated and simplified. If you zoom in on the SVG 10000x on the north Bangladesh-India border, you don't see the nightmare patchwork chessboard that it actually is in real life, but instead you see something kind of sane.

Yeah it's that. It's very obvious in the countries i cited because they have huge internal admnistrative regions with very little straight borders. Still, it looks odd to me, why not have the same level of precision across the board?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

System Metternich posted:

Spargel is loving delicious. Spargelsalat, Spargelcremesuppe, Spargel mit Butter, Spargel im Schinkenmantel, heck you can even get an amazing Spargelburger here or Flammkuchen with Spargel 🤤

Are you the German Bubba Gump?!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Action-Man posted:

Asparagus grown under trash bags and dirt for three years.

I thought this was a hyperbolic description of the flavor but nope, apparently it is literally subterranean asparagus. (I'd try it.)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dreddout posted:

Are you the German Bubba Gump?!

Considering how the the jive talk scene in the movie Airplane was dubbed in German, he very well may be

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

System Metternich posted:

I was living in Berlin during Spargelzeit in 2015, and one place I had spargel-cheesecake for desert and it was pretty good.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

what’s worse: spargel or natto?

vs

:barf:

Both are delicious.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Spoeank posted:

German food definitely has its roots in the Hwan Empire

I see even the korean star empire had trouble with the picts

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Spoeank posted:

German food definitely has its roots in the Hwan Empire

This map is great for the precision it has.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

German food is good but after a week in Germany I would've murdered someone for a vegetable.

You mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjOZmjntpqQ&t=41s

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yes - what about Kate Middleton?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes - what about Kate Middleton?

:iceburn:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

politically loaded indeed

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1005512374445641728

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I know right? Where the gently caress are the Kuriles?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Negrostrike posted:

I know right? Where the gently caress are the Kuriles?

Putin gave the Northern Territories back to the Japanese in exchange for recognizing Russian control of Crimea, nobody noticed.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
On my recent trip to Italy I found this curious map in Trenitalia's magazine:

Apparently not only has my country's government changed while I was away but also Israel moved it's frontier right back into the Sinai... and built an airport there?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ulvino posted:

On my recent trip to Italy I found this curious map in Trenitalia's magazine:

Apparently not only has my country's government changed while I was away but also Israel moved it's frontier right back into the Sinai... and built an airport there?
It was the Giro d'Italia (Tour of Italy) this year. The bicycle race started in Israel, the first race was in Jerusalem and the third one ended up in the Sinai.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 11, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Here's a dumb map:

Country labels were moved to get the same rankings on population and area, i.e. the label for the Xth most populous country is placed on the one that is the Xth largest. This puts Mexico in Algeria and India in Canada, but the USA, Brazil, Ireland and Yemen get to stay where they are.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Cat Mattress posted:

Here's a dumb map:

Country labels were moved to get the same rankings on population and area, i.e. the label for the Xth most populous country is placed on the one that is the Xth largest. This puts Mexico in Algeria and India in Canada, but the USA, Brazil, Ireland and Yemen get to stay where they are.

And the Vatican, surely?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

And the Vatican, surely?

Idk what country is in the Vatican's place (it doesn't look like there's any), but the Vatican is placed where Norfolk Island is off the coast of Australia

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Canada has the population of 37 and a half Delawares.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

:911:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the contested country of belgium, a Good Mappe.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Largest single category of water use by county:

(marston et al. 2018, WRR)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I want to see the rest of the map.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Holy poo poo

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Holy moley is that some kind of Canadian home-school textbook? Hot drat

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Lies my teacher told me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here is an article about it.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
The noble savages were so noble as to kill themselves in order not to be a bother to the colonials

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Edit: Never mind

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 12, 2018

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Darkest Auer posted:

The noble savages were so noble as to kill themselves in order not to be a bother to the colonials

I mean, the native Canadians probably were more polite than the native Americans.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
How do you "need" land to live on when you've just arrived by boat originating from, you know, your land?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

How do you "need" land to live on when you've just arrived by boat originating from, you know, your land?

It’s hard to farm on a boat. Also the landowners in Europe were not the ones coming to Canada to build subsistence farming hovels. It was their serfs, who, you might imagine, did not have much or any land in their home country either.