Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Only the first episode has aired in the US so far, so that's probably why there isn't a lot of discussion around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've always loved the show. Third season continues to be solid, and have characters worth caring about... unlike a certain other robot show.

I also didn't think much of Chaos's character development on Robot Wars

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Nathan Fielder really wants an Emmy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs_eQQZEZRY

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

nate fisher posted:

Is this worth watching? I see it is up on Hulu.

I really liked it. It's not a super deep or complex show but the characters are good and the cast is great. It covers some of the stories from the book, but from what I remember it's set after his drug fueled crazy days so you won't see Bradley Cooper all coked out or anything.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I also didn't think much of Chaos's character development on Robot Wars

Got a solid giggle out of this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And yet somehow Guy Fieri continues to walk the earth.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

Guy Fieri is no mere mortal, he's an elemental

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Earth, Wind, Fieri, & Water

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

Earth, Wind, Fieri, & Water

I pooed a little.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Do you remember
all the cheese that I ate in September?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector 34 posted:

I really liked it. It's not a super deep or complex show but the characters are good and the cast is great. It covers some of the stories from the book, but from what I remember it's set after his drug fueled crazy days so you won't see Bradley Cooper all coked out or anything.

Yeah, it's a really loose adaptation of Kitchen Confidential. Cooper's character is named Jack Bourdain, and he's depicted as a recovering alcoholic as opposed to the coke and smack hound that Tony Bourdain was. It's never going to be confused as a great show as it delves pretty hard into Sitcom 101 tropes, but Cooper, Nicholas Brendon and Frank Langella are all really good in it. John Francis Daley was great, too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Starting to watch Brooklyn 99, how many people pointed out Cheryl Thunt and April Ludgate were part of the precinct

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

First GoT HBO spinoff is going to be set during the Age of Heroes

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hopefully it's as good as Legend of the Seeker.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
They just ordered a pilot, no telling whether it will actually be picked up and go to series yet.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rhyno posted:

He's a good dude though. Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRc1_CATfo

He knows it's all a show but rolls with it and he handles the wings like a champ.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calaveron posted:

Starting to watch Brooklyn 99, how many people pointed out Cheryl Thunt and April Ludgate were part of the precinct

Eeeeeh I kinda get where you're coming from with the Gina/Cheryl comparison but really the only commonality is the "YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR!" streak they both have.

April and Rosa are absolutely birds of a feather though. I kept expecting Aubrey Plaza to show up as Rosa's previously-never-mentioned cousin April but it never happened.

You could also draw a line between Ron and Holt (no-nonsense authority figures that the "main" character spends too much of their time trying to impress) and Leslie and Amy (non-geeky nerds who would be almost unbearable to interact with in real life but are fun to watch on TV) but then again these are also fairly stock sitcom character "traits" so it's less Michael Schur reusing P&R characters and more both shows being, y'know, sitcoms.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Huh, I missed the Ron/Holt parallel
Also I guess Boyle’s kinda like Tom, except Boyle isn’t a horrible irredeemable monster the characters hang around with for no possible discernible reason other than the writers dictate they do

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Other than a like, two-word comparison, there's no similarities between those characters at all.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Other than a like, two-word comparison, there's no similarities between those characters at all.

General prissiness I guess

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I don’t see any similarities between Boyle and Tom. Boyle’s the hapless goofy weirdo friend and Tom’s the classic “guy who thinks he’s the absolute poo poo but is actually the worst” rear end in a top hat. Boyle has more in common with, like, Fez than he does with Tom.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can make a case that there are parallels and similarities between P&R and 99 characters, but it's totally it's own thing enough that you only notice if you really think about it.

Also you're early on so there hasn’t been enough time for the characters to fully develop.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

You can make a case that there are parallels and similarities between P&R and 99 characters, but it's totally it's own thing enough that you only notice if you really think about it.

Also you're early on so there hasn’t been enough time for the characters to fully develop.

I guess but so far Rosa is April but with curly hair

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

General prissiness I guess

I meant any of the characters you were comparing. Rosa is totally different from April. She's scary and legit angry where April is moody and sullen. Not every "doesn't look happy" is the same thing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I meant any of the characters you were comparing.

Two characters are both deadpan ladies who constantly snark everyone and everything about them and both do dead on the same body language

And the two others are kooky redheads who don’t actually do their jobs and are just massive weirdos

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah not seeing it. If anything the Gina/Cheryl comparison is worse because Gina's character is just generally sarcastic and narcissistic whereas Cheryl is full on lunatic/sexual deviant/whatever else

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Is this worth watching? I see it is up on Hulu.

Top tier? I think you are misjudging praise for it being a top tier show on the SyFy channel as us saying it is a true top tier show across all channels. The writing, production, and some of the acting does get better (the current season has been great). To be honest I didn't like the pilot or the first few episodes (but I wouldn't call it garbage), but as a book reader I stuck with it, and now it is one of my favorite shows airing right now.

To be honest we do give more leeway to genre type shows (see comic book shows). That said if you enjoy something, enjoy it.

Nothing wrong with people enjoying anything. But so much of the discussion of the show on the internet has everyone putting it on a Killing Eve level or Mad Men or whatever. It honestly came across like a sophisticated film school project the first few episodes.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Gina/ is the only proper comparison.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 9, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CelestialScribe posted:

Nothing wrong with people enjoying anything. But so much of the discussion of the show on the internet has everyone putting it on a Killing Eve level or Mad Men or whatever. It honestly came across like a sophisticated film school project the first few episodes.

First couple episodes are a bit rough but the Holden and crew plot is fairly introductory while the other plots are setting up stuff you don't exactly understand.

It's got some cool political drama going on as well. It ends up being very well rounded and interesting, it doesn't keep characters around unnecessarily which is very nice in this day and age where as soon as a big name actor shows up you expect them to never leave.

The thing that I really liked about The Expanse is that it's very atmospheric but in an interesting way rather than a purely stylistic way. Like in Altered Carbon the setting is very flashy and all but each scene feels like the background is only given as much detail as is relevant to the characters in it. The Expanse takes time to explain how and why what characters are doing is important and so when something happens involved the setting or props they feel meaningful.

The characters will take some time to grow on you, particularly Holden. He almost reminds me of how boring Grant Ward in Agents of Shield was up until it was revealed he'd been a bad guy the whole time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

HAHAHA @ putting Killing Eve as a reference

speaking of I gave it another shot and ok yeah I like it. seen up to episode 3 which was brilliantly tense. but putting it next to mad men is hilarious

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

First couple episodes are a bit rough but the Holden and crew plot is fairly introductory while the other plots are setting up stuff you don't exactly understand.

It's got some cool political drama going on as well. It ends up being very well rounded and interesting, it doesn't keep characters around unnecessarily which is very nice in this day and age where as soon as a big name actor shows up you expect them to never leave.

The thing that I really liked about The Expanse is that it's very atmospheric but in an interesting way rather than a purely stylistic way. Like in Altered Carbon the setting is very flashy and all but each scene feels like the background is only given as much detail as is relevant to the characters in it. The Expanse takes time to explain how and why what characters are doing is important and so when something happens involved the setting or props they feel meaningful.

The characters will take some time to grow on you, particularly Holden. He almost reminds me of how boring Grant Ward in Agents of Shield was up until it was revealed he'd been a bad guy the whole time.

You're misunderstanding me. This isn't "hmm I don't know about these characters". It's "oh, these people can't act".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

But they absolutely can. Anyways don’t watch it, who cares?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Two characters are both deadpan ladies who constantly snark everyone and everything about them and both do dead on the same body language

And the two others are kooky redheads who don’t actually do their jobs and are just massive weirdos

You are wrong as you are basing your interpretations on very early impressions of the characters. People who have watched the whole show are telling you that the similarities you are seeing are superficial. Watch some more and you will see that.

CelestialScribe posted:

You're misunderstanding me. This isn't "hmm I don't know about these characters". It's "oh, these people can't act".

You also, are wrong but honestly I dunno why you think what you do. Anyway if you don't like it don't watch it but it's not an affront to you that other people think it's a really great show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I recently started The Expanse (bout two episodes away from being caught up finally!!) and I can agree with thinking the acting was overall rocky in the first couple of episodes, if only because Holden was more at the forefront and Holden is def the worst actor in the main cast and maybe on the show tbh. Like other than some of the bit parts/extras that pop up.

But I don't think he's that bad, really. He settles into a good rhythm for the role. Everyone does. I don't think anyone in the main cast was outright terrible, tho. And there are clear standouts ofc who have been great from go. I can understand someone thinking the acting isn't great in the beginning. I wouldn't go as far as to call any of it particularly cringeworthy. Just a little wooden or awkward, esp when dealing with the universe's lingo or some of the early Belter accent stuff.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 9, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It improves A LOT though and I think the writing has been p great the whole time, though much better in S2 and so far 3.

e: also the show is worth it alone for how many f bombs shohreh aghdashloo drops

esperterra fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 9, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This show is kind of great sometimes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As annoyed as I can get by how hard they have Liv change while on brains as the seasons go on, it is often very much worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

As annoyed as I can get by how hard they have Liv change while on brains as the seasons go on, it is often very much worth it.

This season was def the worst (LARP brain) but thankfully they pulled back hard by the finale.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The thing is, too, that it would never bother me if (just in case idk)they just established it as a coping mechanism, or SOMETHING Liv is doing purposefully to avoid being herself because herself and dealing with her own poo poo. Just a couple nods here or there at it being something more than the show just pushing the comedy button.

It usually hits for me more than it misses, but yeah this past season had some rough brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Killing Eve is so much better than it has a right to be and I love it.