Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Morpheus posted:

The problem is that I just don't see any character development. There's standard stuff, like Machias not hating nobles as much, but for example I couldn't tell you a drat thing about Fie except her past and that she's your typical 'young girl so she gets head pats' anime nonsense. Oh yeah except that Rean's adoptive sister wants his dick in the most PG way possible. Most characters absolutely vanish from any meaningful dialogue after their chapter, too. Sara has a cool past but is a walking cliche, Elliot actually has some depth but is so timid and dull, and Jusis is an rear end in a top hat (but not really, twist).

Sigh, maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I'm missing some key character development somewhere. But it's gotten to the point where, when I see a long cutscene coming up, I simply am not looking forward to it.

Well, beans.

Cold Steel 1 is very much about build-up and background setting, so there not being much real character development really shouldn't be a surprise. To compare it to a book, characters generally do not have any world-shattering revelations about themselves or the like in the first half. Fie and Jusis in particular, to use two of those you mentioned, get a lot of focus in 2. Not sure if you played Trails in the Sky, but FC in that had the same sort of thing.

Now, if you'd singled out Elliot I'd have no counter response, because contrary to everyone else his relevance has gone down in every single game so far (and he's not terribly relevant in 1 anyways). And it's highly unlikely 4's going to change that.

As for CS2... there are indeed certain issues with it, both in terms of of overall ones, as well as ones of personal preference, but I really wouldn't take Charles' general single line statement for anything. Their opinions on these games are... interesting, and some of the complaints they've made have basically been met with "are we playing the same game?" by multiple people. People who are otherwise perfectly willing to acknowledge there are flaws with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lord Koth posted:

Cold Steel 1 is very much about build-up and background setting, so there not being much real character development really shouldn't be a surprise. To compare it to a book, characters generally do not have any world-shattering revelations about themselves or the like in the first half. Fie and Jusis in particular, to use two of those you mentioned, get a lot of focus in 2. Not sure if you played Trails in the Sky, but FC in that had the same sort of thing.

Now, if you'd singled out Elliot I'd have no counter response, because contrary to everyone else his relevance has gone down in every single game so far (and he's not terribly relevant in 1 anyways). And it's highly unlikely 4's going to change that.

As for CS2... there are indeed certain issues with it, both in terms of of overall ones, as well as ones of personal preference, but I really wouldn't take Charles' general single line statement for anything. Their opinions on these games are... interesting, and some of the complaints they've made have basically been met with "are we playing the same game?" by multiple people. People who are otherwise perfectly willing to acknowledge there are flaws with it.

Though ironically they never actually say how I’m wrong even when I reference exactly what happened in the game.

Though I have never seen them admit flaws so are we reading the same thread.

Fact of the matter is CS2 is just not a well structured game from a story perspective. Being over ambitious really bit them in the rear end

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 8, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dude tons of people have admitted flaws with cs2 there's no need to be an rear end. even colonel agrees with you about the 'haha you didnt beat us actually' boss fights. multiple times. and i dont think anyone disagrees that the elemental shrines bit is total filler.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I um don’t really care that much about the boss fight thing, there a little much but they are no where near my main issues with the game. I certainly wouldn’t call it a flaw.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 8, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I still never finished TiTS 1 and I still wonder if the dude in the item shop ever got married

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

there could be no combat whatsoever in a trails game and I'd still love it to pieces

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I still never finished TiTS 1 and I still wonder if the dude in the item shop ever got married
I shall tell you.

No, but he does get a potential love interest who catches a bouquet from some other NPCs wedding in an optional scene so, yes, eventually.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i like elliot because he's rean's good friend, and also it's refreshing to have the gentle staff-using healer be a dude for once

U-DO Burger posted:

there could be no combat whatsoever in a trails game and I'd still love it to pieces

after a certain point this probably would've enhanced my enjoyment of SC tbh

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Endorph posted:

all that said, lol at calling physical affection between friends 'anime nonsense.'

If you think that head pats on young lolita characters aren't some anime trope then I have bad news for you buddy.

U-DO Burger posted:

Honestly? I'd probably prefer it. I like some visual novels.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Morpheus posted:

If you think that head pats on young lolita characters aren't some anime trope then I have bad news for you buddy.

You must be new to say that here

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

dmboogie posted:

i like elliot because he's rean's good friend, and also it's refreshing to have the gentle staff-using healer be a dude for once

after a certain point this probably would've enhanced my enjoyment of SC tbh

In CS at a certain point the combat might as well not be there.

Especially for trash mods.

Thank god for the fast forward button and skip animation button.

Playing that on the vita or whatever must have sucked.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Morpheus posted:

it's something that happens in anime yeah, but also, something, that happens in real life?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Imagine it when it first came out and had minute long loads

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

dmboogie posted:

it's something that happens in anime yeah, but also, something, that happens in real life?

Real life is an anime, buddy

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lessail posted:

Real life is an anime, buddy

:hai:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

dmboogie posted:

I’m pretty sure head pats only happen in anime and 90s movies involving a stepdad.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Tae posted:

You must be new to say that here

Buddy, I am no stranger to anime stuff.

dmboogie posted:

Typically it's pretty patronizing when it's someone your age, in your class. I'm not saying it never happens, but in the context of this game, yes, it is some anime nonsense. Also the same game where a girl falls down on a guy and oh nooo her boobs are on his face

But regardless, I'm going to beat this game. Because I'm weird like that, and also because it's on Vita so it's something I can throw twenty minutes at on a bus ride or while watching TV. I just wanted to know what I was missing, if anything, but it's clearly simply a matter of taste and I just don't think it's a series for me, I just wanted to confirm that it wasn't just a slow start or something.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Thank god for the fast forward button and skip animation button.

Playing that on the vita or whatever must have sucked.

There's no fast-forward in combat, but there is a 'skip animation' button and you can fast-forward through cutscenes at up to 3x speed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, Rean's a physically affectionate guy in general. He hugs literally everyone in CS2.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh, it absolutely is a slow start. This is the first game (technically sixth) out of four games (technically nine). That is how they operate: slow build up until The Big Thing Happens always close to the very end, see you in the next game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Terper posted:

Oh, it absolutely is a slow start. This is the first game (technically sixth) out of four games (technically nine). That is how they operate: slow build up until The Big Thing Happens always close to the very end, see you in the next game.

Yeah Trails games are very, very formulaic. I think one of the reasons TITS 3 is so well liked is it’s the only game to completely ignore that formula.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

STATEMENT FROM XSEED: In the interest of keeping character interaction realistic in Trails of Cold Steel we've eliminated head pets, added drugs and alcohol to all class trips, and made it so the male characters and Angelica lower their gaze when talking to women.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dmboogie posted:

Not in America, buddy. And especially not in Finland.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

chumbler posted:

Not in America, buddy. And especially not in Finland.

i live in america, buddy

like it's not the most common thing in the world, but i have had friends pat me on the head, as a sign of affection, and a giant robot didnt crash through my roof or anything

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 8, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I had my head pat all the time in America :confused:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Trails games aren't really about the plot so much as they're about the world building and character drama. The plots are constructed out of a predictable gameplay loop and every character has extreme plot armor so they always feel kinda low stakes even when serious stuff is happening. It's not a negative, it's just the formula. They're cozy games, not thrillers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

As a former teacher's aide, you do not touch anyone's head if you want to keep your job in today's environment

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tae posted:

As a former teacher's aide, you do not touch anyone's head if you want to keep your job in today's environment

Well I would think you wouldn’t touch anyone’s head as it’s kind of weird. It’s not something people really do.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

itt we learn that some people have physically affectionate friends, and other people don't

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

dmboogie posted:

itt we learn that some people have physically affectionate friends, and other people don't

What does that have to do with head pats.

Or are you replying to that person who was talking about hugs.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

What does that have to do with head pats.

it's... physical affection?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

dmboogie posted:

it's... physical affection?

Take it slowly, this is all new to Charles

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If I don't receive a headpat every 24 hours, I will die.

Please watch the new movie based on my true life story, Headpat or DeadPat (the title works because in the movie they changed my name to Patricia)

Selane
May 19, 2006

Morpheus posted:

The problem is that I just don't see any character development. There's standard stuff, like Machias not hating nobles as much, but for example I couldn't tell you a drat thing about Fie except her past and that she's your typical 'young girl so she gets head pats' anime nonsense. Oh yeah except that Rean's adoptive sister wants his dick in the most PG way possible. Most characters absolutely vanish from any meaningful dialogue after their chapter, too. Sara has a cool past but is a walking cliche, Elliot actually has some depth but is so timid and dull, and Jusis is an rear end in a top hat (but not really, twist).

Sigh, maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I'm missing some key character development somewhere. But it's gotten to the point where, when I see a long cutscene coming up, I simply am not looking forward to it.

You can make up your own mind, but I kind of felt the same way as you about 2/3 of the way through CS1. But I feel that it got much more interesting at the end, and 2 is good from the beginning, and only has a few slow parts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

CS1 and 2 were supposed to be one game, but due to Vita being a poo poo console, they split it and added a lot of filler to pad out both games to be longer than it should when put together.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hugs are fine, head pats are something I give to my 5-year-old niece, not a thing I do to my friends or classmates. That'd be loving weird.

Can someone show me an example of non-anime media where a head pat occurs for someone that isn't meant to be a young girl or something. I legitimately do not remember a single instance of this occurring that isn't meant to be condescending or, like, infantilizing. Looking up an example online just gives pages of pages of anime that I do not want to touch.

Selane posted:

You can make up your own mind, but I kind of felt the same way as you about 2/3 of the way through CS1. But I feel that it got much more interesting at the end, and 2 is good from the beginning, and only has a few slow parts.

Ah, thank you - one of the reasons I'm going to play it through to the end before I make a final judgement. I've got Persona 4 Golden to get through afterwards, so it'll be a bit of a break before I think about picking up the second one.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I had my head pat all the time in America :confused:

Good av

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

if you arent enjoying a game iunno why you want people to tell you that actually, you are enjoying it

I mean people on something awful normally do that on their own :v:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There is a spectrum of gestures one would make towards another's head to show affection and I don't see what is so unbelievable about a head pat compared to like, someone just scuffing up another's hair. You see the later like, all the time, and not just with kids.

e: the headpat stuff in cold steel is pretty silly though

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 8, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If you are not enjoying a game don't play it that's my motto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is kind of weird when they treat headpats as something intimate

that is the extent of my thoughts on the matter