Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

tonemoobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

A guitar in the hands of a true tonemaster becomes an extension of their entire body. Like the Gibson axes of old and their weight, we too must sacrifice our bodies to achieve that great sustain and rock-solid base to ensure our pickups do not resonate because our frail bodies cannot withstand the power of our Line 6s.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Prime attire here:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_fedora_hat_black_l_xl.htm

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That’s like the god tier “we know you’re a musician and would just love this” bad gift

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

The only guys who are allowed to wear something like that have natural grey/white hair and are the age where they are all out of fucks. Usually seen with a big smile in for instance punk/hardcore gigs and dancing more than everyone else.

People like that are always awesome music poo poo.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

That's a god damm trilby you fucks :argh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gringostar posted:

That's a god damm trilby you fucks :argh:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kilometers Davis posted:

That’s like the god tier “we know you’re a musician and would just love this” bad gift

I got so many gifts like that when I first started playing. Strat-shaped Christmas lights, short sleeve button ups with flaming Flying V's on them, etc. Somebody on eBay actually paid like $50 each for the shirts years later.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Lester Shy posted:

I got so many gifts like that when I first started playing. Strat-shaped Christmas lights, short sleeve button ups with flaming Flying V's on them, etc. Somebody on eBay actually paid like $50 each for the shirts years later.

A lot of the youtube guitarists I follow made videos about "worst/best gift for a guitarist" for christmas and I think "guitarshaped whatever that can't be played/can't djent" was an item on all of the "worst" lists. That and the hole puncher that makes picks out of credit cards and plastic lids. I think someone suggested "a pack of 9v batteries" as a great gift for most guitarists, and I kinda agree. Maybe cables or strings, but then I'd at least want the gift giver to know what gauge and brand of strings I prefer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cool guitar gifts:

9v batteries
GC gift card so they can buy the kinds of strings/picks they like instead of me having to guess what gauge you use
earplugs
One of those string winder / string cutter combo thingies (bonus points if it has screwdrivers and allen wrenches)
Guitar polish and flannel rags for cleaning (also q-tips for fine detail)
A clip on tuner

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Spanish Manlove posted:

Cool guitar gifts:

9v batteries
GC gift card so they can buy the kinds of strings/picks they like instead of me having to guess what gauge you use
earplugs
One of those string winder / string cutter combo thingies (bonus points if it has screwdrivers and allen wrenches)
Guitar polish and flannel rags for cleaning (also q-tips for fine detail)
A clip on tuner

Good list.
Some of those you would make the gift giver think "nah, he's got one already", but you really can't get enough of guitar tools and clip tuners. You only NEED one of each, but drat it's great to have one clip tuner at home in the guitar room, one on the living room acoustic, one in the band rehearsal space, one in each guitar gig bag, one in the pedal tote, one in the car..... I could have received clip tuners from my entire family for christmas and never run out of places to put them.

Btw, guitar polish is not a "safe" gift.... Do a google for guitar polish/fretboard cleaning/lemon oil and you'll see the tone kings and blues daddies on different guitar forums go at each other's throats arguing about what will benefit or destroy your guitar/fretboard depending on the wood type (myself, I'd love such a gift).

Strings/picks/straps/straplocks are very individual, but it COULD be a great way to show that you don't ONLY know I play guitar, you also know my preferred gear.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shugojin posted:

It's a good movie, also the bassline for this one is legit really fun to play

which one?

(it’s all of them)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dewgy posted:

which one?

(it’s all of them)

Yeah but Big Bottom is basically all bassline and it's super fun

Also literally the entire bit of Nigel Tufnel's guitars makes me laugh every time, especially the sustain bit

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

kjetting posted:

Btw, guitar polish is not a "safe" gift.... Do a google for guitar polish/fretboard cleaning/lemon oil and you'll see the tone kings and blues daddies on different guitar forums go at each other's throats arguing about what will benefit or destroy your guitar/fretboard depending on the wood type (myself, I'd love such a gift).

That was one I wasn't super sure about either, so I'd say to amend it to "flannel cleaning rags and q-tips for detailing." I was gonna say "naptha and..." but uhh you likely shouldn't buy lighter fluid for people.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Tap water and a clean micro-fibre cloth are all you need for cleaning your guitars. Strings (And managing to get the preferred brand and gauge right) are always a great gift, same for 9v batteries because I never remember to stock up on them. A set of allen keys for players with floating bridge equipped guitars is also good, and a pocket screwdriver kit.

Oh I just remembered something except for its name. I remember seeing a while ago a set of fret polishing pads. They're not at all to be confused with a kit for doing an entire fret dress but they can remove grime and polish up the fret wire nicely. Looked like a bunch of emery pads with different grades of coarseness which you work through and come together in a wee pouch.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 8, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Shugojin posted:

Yeah but Big Bottom is basically all bassline and it's super fun

Also literally the entire bit of Nigel Tufnel's guitars makes me laugh every time, especially the sustain bit

I have one of Nigel Tufnel’s custom picks from when I saw them play at CBGBs. I just snatched it up as soon as he dropped it. Probably should have kept it nice but I had to use it when my band recorded a 7”.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Snowy posted:

I have one of Nigel Tufnel’s custom picks from when I saw them play at CBGBs. I just snatched it up as soon as he dropped it. Probably should have kept it nice but I had to use it when my band recorded a 7”.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

REAL guitarists do not use those string winder things. REAL players know how to string a guitar so you don't have to wind it for half an hour :colbert:

(yes I realise that if you're a REAL guitarist, you should have a little fella to change strings for you)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
cursed video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3GzMw97f4

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is loving incredible

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

1:33 channeling Nirvana's Top of the Pops routine

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Ed Roman was a real fuckbucket wasn't he. Anyone ever visit his place? Did he still run the credit check if you walked in and he thought you might be a tourist? A relic of those grand old days of customer service where you could ring up the guitar store and have the owner come to the phone to personally call you a useless cocksucker who doesn't know poo poo about real guitars on your dime. Sign me up for the thomann model and 2 day deliveries IMO - I can call my mother if I want to hear that kind of talk.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

darkwasthenight posted:

Ed Roman was a real fuckbucket wasn't he. Anyone ever visit his place? Did he still run the credit check if you walked in and he thought you might be a tourist? A relic of those grand old days of customer service where you could ring up the guitar store and have the owner come to the phone to personally call you a useless cocksucker who doesn't know poo poo about real guitars on your dime. Sign me up for the thomann model and 2 day deliveries IMO - I can call my mother if I want to hear that kind of talk.

I've heard a lot of gun store owners like to run their stores this way too. Basically if you're not "their kind of people" they don't want your money.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I called Ed Roman's shop in the late 90's when I was really interested in spending some decent money on my first "real, professional grade" guitar. I'd seen his website which was basically an encyclopedia of guitars that would make a teenager's head spin. It was amazing. So I call the shop to basically get some 1st hand info from somebody who I thought obviously knew his stuff, and I was ready to spend money. He answers the phone and is immediately the biggest prick you can imagine. I don't remember exactly what he said but I, an enthusiastic younger guy looking up to this dude btw, was so put off that I hung up and never really went to the site again. Basically I called to ask him about some guitar company I was interested in because he carried their guitars, and before I could finish my sentence he started rambling about how those guitars were the biggest pieces of poo poo ever and that if I wanted a "real instrument" I should buy one of his headless purple quilted maple Steinberger guitars or something. I couldn't get another word in during the conversation and even if I tried, he wouldn't hear about it. Awful.

A friend of mine did the same thing actually. The guy worked at some local store all throughout high school and had about $3,500 to spend on a guitar. He called up Ed Roman and started asking him about his stock to which Ed replied "well before I waste any of my time on you, how do you expect to pay for this, kid? Is your mommy and daddy going to buy it for you? Heh." My friend hung up and bought a guitar from somebody else.

He's not the only guy like this either. I mean, he's the worst I've ever dealt with for sure, but there's just something about mom and pop music stores that seem to draw the biggest rear end in a top hat business owners around. I've never really seen this in other industries, but with these small music stores, like half of them are invariably run by some jerk who thinks they know everything when they waaay don't, and they're smug about it, and they treat you like an rear end in a top hat.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 9, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m lucky to have a few extremely good music stores nearby. Always full of nice genuine people. The one bigger one, basically a GC lite has an owner who is generally okay but always likes to make either the worst jokes (something something about going across the street for an “Asian massage”, dude’s Asian wife works at the counter btw) and once seriously talked about “bone tone”. The way your finger bones affect your sound. Fuuuuuuuck.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

There's one around here that is owned by a total dick, he has a real big selection but they move pretty slowly and a lot of them will have corroded strings because he's too cheap to swap them out every few months I guess?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, are we doing Ed Roman horror stories?

I remember visiting his Las Vegas store back in '03 because, while we weren't out-of-this-world rich, the band was doing well all things considered and we had a little moolah saved, and I had heard that they had some off-the-beaten-path stuff for lefties and weren't as vanilla as Southpaw... until I told him that I was looking for a "beater" guitar, and then it was basically a what everyone has previously said about him: It was probably on the Top 3 for most uncomfortable moments in my life as a musician, and I've...
  • ... played as hired gun in more than one christian rock fest
  • ... opened for a rap group whose MC openly dissed/sexually harassed our drum tech
  • ... watched as said drum tech proceeded to lay that MC down with one swift snap punch to the nads
  • ... watched as Kyle Sanders got into a situation that no amount of alcohol can make me forget and that I will only describe with the abbreviation "D.C.T.P." :stonklol:
  • ... spent a few minutes fanboying over David Bowie before getting an ice burn about my lovely pink shirt. (it was actually pretty funny, because he basically told me in all but the actual words "Yes, it's ok, I'm awesome, fanboy away" when I was trying to keep it cool, but the man had a wicked sense of humor and this is just me show-boating about pestering the Duke for a few minutes, so sue me)
  • ... was at one of the moments when Thursday almost broke up before they actually broke up for real in 2011.
  • ... watched as a bridesmaid took the microphone away from the singer so that she could proclaim how she got double-teamed by her boyfriend and the groom at the latter's bachelor party.
But for real, it was that bad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, As I Lay Dying released a new song and I know it's wrong to like it according to all the Metal news websites, but goddammit, it's pretty much my metalcore jam. :(

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
When I was 13, I went to buy a whammy bar from this dingy little local shop. I had been playing for about a year and the owner absolutely berated me for 1) wanting to own a whammy bar when "you don't know how to play" and 2) not calling it a "tremolo bar."

Amazingly, this guy is still in business, but literally every online review calls him out for being an rear end in a top hat, even the positive ones.

There's another non-GC local shop that's staffed by a bunch of the nicest older dudes you'll ever meet, but they can't compete with online prices. The other local music place switched over to 100% brass and orchestra equipment after Guitar Center came to town.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol when who you think you are clashes with who you actually are you become one of these pricks.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Hey, are we doing Ed Roman horror stories?

My usual guitar tech worked for Roman and always had stories to tell about working for him on the back-end. Guitars would be built so badly that intonation was impossible, massive damages hidden under paint, custom axes from the worst pick of materials, and of course receiving verbal abuse for anything including testing these guitars for the above issues.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s heartbreaking to think of how many young players never stuck with the instrument because of fucks like them. Ugh.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the only local music store within 2 hours of where i grew up was run by this weirdo mormon family that mostly sold school band instruments and guitar stuff was mostly an afterthought since they didn't approve of secular music

the other option was a ghetto-rear end pawn shop 90 minutes up the road

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I've only been to a local music shop once and it was to buy a guitar strap. I bought a super edgy one with demons and skulls on it (probably belongs in this thread) because I thought it would be funny in contrast to the light hearted acoustic stuff I played at the time. When I brought it up to the counter the guy rolled his eyes and said "Of course..." They closed up a few months ago.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Danyull posted:

I've only been to a local music shop once and it was to buy a guitar strap. I bought a super edgy one with demons and skulls on it (probably belongs in this thread) because I thought it would be funny in contrast to the light hearted acoustic stuff I played at the time. When I brought it up to the counter the guy rolled his eyes and said "Of course..." They closed up a few months ago.

Post it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hell yeah post that strap.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeIxJzdPD0A

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I feel lucky that I grew up near Elderly instrument's in Lansing MI. Literally the best music shop I've ever been to. They had everything, and a huge stock of used gear at good prices. The staff was super nice too.

I live far away now but every time I'm in Lansing I stop in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My friend Bear got the sweetest Iron Bird ever. These things are stupid-awesome:

https://www.facebook.com/baron.hampton.50/videos/2139130159649314/