Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It was a lot better

This season has just been a lot of random stuff

The monkeycheese cow was the worst, followed by android women with mustaches

Still, even now the show is really interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure the answer is yes, but did they explain what that thing was that stole David at the end of last season, and if so who sent it and why? This show is really good but sometimes I completely lose track of what does and does not get answered.

night slime
May 14, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm sure the answer is yes, but did they explain what that thing was that stole David at the end of last season, and if so who sent it and why? This show is really good but sometimes I completely lose track of what does and does not get answered.

No

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
kerry(cary?) from the future sent it to grab david so he could chat with future syd

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Zzulu posted:

I still have faith that they are going to explicitly explain the cow. The season is building towards a huge denunciation and possibly a revelation that reality has been fundamentally not as it seems. My pet theory remains that David unconsciously put the cow there, created the delusion birds, and more of this season's weirdness.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oh, well hey at least I didn't miss anything, I thought for sure I'd missed something during like, the danceoff or something.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Gobbeldygook posted:

I still have faith that they are going to explicitly explain the cow. The season is building towards a huge denunciation and possibly a revelation that reality has been fundamentally not as it seems. My pet theory remains that David unconsciously put the cow there, created the delusion birds, and more of this season's weirdness.

I wonder if Farouk was right that he was a "gift" since he inevitably goes insane anyway according to the comic backstory. He was keeping him sane for 30 years then he starts to lose it with the personalities right after he leaves, indicated by him talking to himself at Divison 3.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

night slime posted:

I wonder if Farouk was right that he was a "gift" since he inevitably goes insane anyway according to the comic backstory. He was keeping him sane for 30 years then he starts to lose it with the personalities right after he leaves, indicated by him talking to himself at Divison 3.

In the parallel universes episode, the only one where David was fully functional was one where it was implied that Farouk was still with him, IIRC.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

night slime posted:

I think we can assume the comics mean just about nothing to the show. They really are separate entities.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In the parallel universes episode, the only one where David was fully functional was one where it was implied that Farouk was still with him, IIRC.

I thought it was implied that Farouk essentially took control of David in that timeline.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i read that episode to basically say there was no David in that reality, only Farouk - if i remember right Stevens is even acting like Navid Negahba

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there was one where he was married with kids, total normie.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm still waiting for my next dance-off by the way :mad:

(there's another danceoff right? Right? :ohdear:

night slime
May 14, 2014

JossiRossi posted:

I think we can assume the comics mean just about nothing to the show. They really are separate entities.

I didn't mean anything specific and I don't know anything about them. But he is seen talking to himself multiple times, so...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

night slime posted:

One of his personalities is his rational side with a stupid accent! :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Serf posted:

I'm loving this show but man that Kerry fight scene was atrocious. If you're going to have a fight scene where no one knows how to fake a fight, definitely don't slow it down and show us how bad they are at it.

No kidding, that fight was... not well done.

That being said, I'm loving the poo poo out of this season.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 9, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I had a dream last night where Farouk implanted himself in the head of Shawn from Psych. It was very entertaining and I'm proud of my subconscious for coming up with that one.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Zzulu posted:

It was a lot better

This season has just been a lot of random stuff

Still, even now the show is really interesting

There has been cow/minotaur/bovine stuff appearing in every episode, it was just a bit more in your face in that episode - The cow in sector 3 corridors may have been an attempt to tie in a random Minotaur in the maze.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Medullah posted:

I had a dream last night where Farouk implanted himself in the head of Shawn from Psych. It was very entertaining and I'm proud of my subconscious for coming up with that one.

so I guess it’s cool to spoil season three already???

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
poo poo’s hitting the fan tonight. I get a feeling the future hasn’t changed and we’re going to see the first onscreen appearance of Mr. Rock since the first episode of Doctor Who.

night slime
May 14, 2014
The finale is cool

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

night slime posted:

The finale is cool

Syd stay in future where you came from the rest of us haven’t seen it yet :mad:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Syd stay in future where you came from the rest of us haven’t seen it yet :mad:

it turns out that the real Minotaur was the friends we made along the way

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That sequence was incredible

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Boo, Syd. You suck.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
thanks skittles

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i thought the intro was edging close to corny but "my love is vengeance" keeps running through my head through every one of these scenes

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Need to get me some messenger mouses

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

David screwed up in erasing Syd's memories, but Syd was totally tricked by the Shadow King.

Well, David just needs to grab Lenny and get out so those two can go on the run together.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
I dig the Shadow King's new crown. Hope he keeps it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
This so-retro-it's-literally-paper-slides scene has some pretty ominous music.

I like it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what a loving good show

give me season 3

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So the Shadow King created a self-fulfilling prophecy when he turned Syd against David, which lead to these events where they all now believe David is a villain. Plus it was totally lovely of them to put David on trial for things he hadn't done, when Farouk has actually done a ton of bad poo poo.

Season 3 with David and Lenny on the run should be real good though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
This psychic fight to a synth-distorted cover of Behind Blue Eyes with the rotoscope-like animation is fully sick and all kinds of my poo poo.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Codependent Poster posted:

So the Shadow King created a self-fulfilling prophecy when he turned Syd against David, which lead to these events where they all now believe David is a villain. Plus it was totally lovely of them to put David on trial for things he hadn't done, when Farouk has actually done a ton of bad poo poo.

Season 3 with David and Lenny on the run should be real good though.

He did that because Syd told Farouk that he would destroy the world. David destroyed the world on all on his own after killing Farouk in the desert.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Danger posted:

He did that because Syd told Farouk that he would destroy the world. David destroyed the world on all on his own after killing Farouk in the desert.

I feel like at this point we may very well be deep into "allegedly destroyed the world", since the assurances we have that it happens are from suspect sources.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Strobe posted:

I feel like at this point we may very well be deep into "allegedly destroyed the world", since the assurances we have that it happens are from suspect sources.

They are from Syd. So the narrative then goes Syd convinces Farouk to convince Syd...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
in my opinion it's equally likely that david actually destroyed the world in future-syd's timeline or that that timeline had farouk pull the same thing he did in our timeline where he manipulated syd into believing david would turn, thereby causing david to turn

would david have turned without farouk's influence? is he going to have fully turned in season 3? who knows but I'm here for the ride

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Danger posted:

They are from Syd. So the narrative then goes Syd convinces Farouk to convince Syd...

Like I said. Suspect sources.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
There is definitely a deeper game being played. I feel like a lot of the unanswered questions of this season (namely the orb and david's missing year) are gonna have their payoffs next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Strobe posted:

Like I said. Suspect sources.

AnEdgelord posted:

There is definitely a deeper game being played. I feel like a lot of the unanswered questions of this season (namely the orb and david's missing year) are gonna have their payoffs next season.

just looked at an interview with Hawley and he's saying it's all 100% real - like the shadow king being free at the trial in the end just shows you make peace with your enemies when a bigger threat becomes apparent, not that this is all some elaborate machination by him.

to me, they did a pretty bad job setting up the turn. coming after an episode where farouk spent extensive amounts of time showing syd the true david in a way that reads like psychic manipulation, and a season full of confusing, elaborate time travel and delusions. it makes sense what he's going for - now next season david can be the bad guy with a comics-appropriate legion of personalities - but the pacing of this whole season was too off to support the suspension of disbelief here.

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 13, 2018