Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Pick posted:

Men are so gross

Half of your persona is having been literally dick-crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Just lie, make them prove it.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

And the other half would be a lot more pleasant if you’d ever got it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

Men are so gross

You keep lion bones in a dvd case.

Everyone knows that laserdisc cases are the sophisticated choice.

tactlessbastard posted:

Who the gently caress is going to be the guy to pipe up at a family get together, 'hey! I recognize that stripper!'

Lmao you know there’s just the one guy who prides himself on his comprehensive stripper experience and finds a way to bring it up in every conversation somehow.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Me [40 F] with my husband's son [23 M]. He married a stripper in secret. His aunt found out and wants to tell people she's a stripper. My husband [52 M] unsure how to handle a potentially messy situation.

The best part of this is the crazy mom pressuring her sons into horrendously stupid, instantly-regrettable marriages, and both of them being dumb enough to go for it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Such Fun posted:

Half of your persona is having been literally dick-crazy.

I have never been motivated by the sexual dimension of a person

Affection preceded lust, and should

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Are strippers really "sex workers". At the very least phrasing it like that is pretty misleading and makes it sound a lot worse than it is.

The stripper thing is gonna come out and cause a bunch of pointless drama, drama because people are prudes and pointless because the only thing that matters is how they feel about each other now

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Haifisch posted:

Me [40 F] with my husband's son [23 M]. He married a stripper in secret. His aunt found out and wants to tell people she's a stripper. My husband [52 M] unsure how to handle a potentially messy situation.

My mom has a cousin who is some sort of weirdo born again. Her daughter got married to a guy and the night of the wedding he told her, 'things are going to change now' and started beating her. Eventually, he held a gun to her head and basically held her hostage. She escaped and ran back home, on the opposite coast. My mom's crazy cousin and her equally religious husband told their daughter she should try to 'work it out' with the husband. She didn't thank god.

Religion.

:killing:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I (25M) Have started to see a new girl (22F) and I’m worried about the baggage she is bringing with her

quote:

First off: I used the word “baggage” in the title because I couldn’t think of a better word. I don’t mean that word negatively, merely acknowledging that she’s bringing some issues with her.

I went out on a date on Monday with a really sweet girl that I met through $OnlineDating. Her profile mentioned that she was on the autism spectrum, so I knew there was going to be a bit extra coming along with her. We met up, had dinner. During dinner she was very shy, quiet, also very scatter-brained (again, not negative) when she did speak. She also was very forthwith that not only is she on the autism spectrum but she’s also schizoaffective (medicated) and she got out of a 5 year relationship (her first) a few months ago. She was also very open about the fact that sex would be tough because apparently penetration is quite painful for her, as such she’s inexperienced. She’s also still in college, only working a part time job so money is tight for her.

I meanwhile haven’t dated or been in a relationship in about 3 years. I work a full time job making 100k+, having graduated 2 years ago. I was previously diagnosed with anxiety and depression, but I’ve since gotten that under control.

Just to make this clear: despite only having gone on one date so far... I really like this girl. She’s smart, funny, sweet, cute as hell, has an amazing smile, and is very blunt about what’s on her mind. She also fits “my type” to a the letter. To my knowledge, she feels the same way about me.

Normally I wouldn’t blink at three years difference in age. Where I am concerned with is the mental health issues and the difference in lifestyle. I live on my own, she still lives with her mom. I make quite a bit, while for her money is very tight. I get the impression she lived a very sheltered life, she (by her own admission) doesn’t know things that might otherwise be “common knowledge”.

I’ve dated girls with mental health issues before, but usually depression. Never autistic and never schizoaffective/phrenic.

I paid for our dinner the first night, and she’s quite adamant about picking up our next date’s tab. I don’t necessarily have a problem with that, but from a practicality standpoint i think it would be better for her to just let me cover our dates— an extra $15 for me is nothing, meanwhile for her it could be a big deal.

TL;DR: dating a girl from a vastly different background, significant difference in financials, sexuality, and mental health issues.

So, /r/relationships. I’m all ears, I’m accepting all advice. Anyone have any tips on how to handle the various facets of this dynamic? The money difference, the sexual issues that may occur, maturity differences. Anyone married to or dating(dated) an autistic or schizo___ individual before?

If anyone’s advice is “It’s not worth it, move on”... I will accept that advice, but I probably won’t follow it. I like this girl, I know I’m sailing into a storm, I’m looking for advice on how to weather the storm, though, not dodge it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If the boy is 23 and still letting his mother rule his entire life, his fuckups are kinda his business at this point.
Marrying a stripper isn’t necessarily a fuckup. Marrying a stripper after six months when you’re already dealing with jealousy issues is.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

I (25M) Have started to see a new girl (22F) and I’m worried about the baggage she is bringing with her

You thirsty motherfucker

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like how people are scandalized that she USED to be a stripper. Not that she's now married but still working at the strip club, which I could understand making some folk uncomfortable, but that she's a former stripper.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Baronjutter posted:

I like how people are scandalized that she USED to be a stripper. Not that she's now married but still working at the strip club, which I could understand making some folk uncomfortable, but that she's a former stripper.

A tainted woman remains forever unclean

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A tainted woman remains forever unclean

Look pal, the guy at the dealership told me this red tent would fix that and I dont wanna march back there for a refund just on your say so.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

tactlessbastard posted:

We were sitting on bar stools and he reached over, turned me toward him, leaned in, put a hand on my knee and ran it up to my hip and said 'let's go back to your room so I can suck your cock.'
I’ve only done that kind of power move when I knew a date was going extremely well.

I (truthfully, but also jokingly) told my boyfriend on our first date that I had never wanted to make out with someone in the back of an Uber more in my entire life. And he agreed and we did and then banged a bunch and have been together for awhile now.

I’m a girl though and I guess that makes it different?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sigh, time to add another poster to the list of known trollops.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Play posted:

Are strippers really "sex workers". At the very least phrasing it like that is pretty misleading and makes it sound a lot worse than it is.
"Sex worker" doesn't mean prostitute, it means someone who works in the sex industry. So it includes strippers, camgirls, dominatrixes, phone sex workers, people churning out terrible erotica ebooks, etc. If you're getting paid because someone has a metaphorical boner, it's you.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

"Sex worker" doesn't mean prostitute, it means someone who works in the sex industry. So it includes strippers, camgirls, dominatrixes, phone sex workers, people churning out terrible erotica ebooks, etc. If you're getting paid because someone has a metaphorical boner, it's you.

Yeah as a wide category that makes sense, but I still think in this case going around telling family members that your nephew's new wife was a "sex worker" would make anyone jump to the more extreme sense of that word. If they're interested at all in limiting the drama from all this, they should just stick with "stripper" or even "worked at a strip club"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

quote:

So we learned recently that Matt secretly married a girl after dating her for 8 months. Their mother pressured them into getting married because they were going to move in together. Her reasoning was that that if they were going to "live together in sin", then why not be married so that you "don't offend God's eyes by having intercourse without the marriage being sanctioned". Those statements are in parentheses because those are her thoughts, according to what Matt told us.

Matt sounds loving stupid.

:sever:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don’t even let celebrities touch me until the second time we meet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Living in sin is what most people do everyday, and they arent even loving outside of marriage

Play
Apr 25, 2006

We're all buried in sin. Covered in it. It's caked in every orifice

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

tactlessbastard posted:

You thirsty motherfucker

Don't gently caress the developmentally disabled unless you're prepared to handle it. If you want to end a dryspell, lower your standards til ya build your self confidence up again. Plenty of fat, non-disabled chicks out there in the world.

Admiral Ray posted:

Matt sounds loving stupid.

:sever:

I'm guessing the mom has some financial control over Matt, because otherwise thinking about Matt's behavior is a huge :can:

Also, from a few pages back, its pretty easy to get propositioned as a dude. Just ride public transit near a women's prison. I'm from Chicago, and in Illinois our universities and prisons are downstate along the same rail lines. When I would ride Amtrak up to Chicago from downstate, I'd get propositioned on the reg.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I am without sin and I start every morning by going out to my balcony and chucking rocks at passerby, parked cars, birds, etc.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have my faults but I’m 100% sexually aboveboard

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Pick posted:

ma'am this is a Piggly Wiggly's.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

What, you mean like second base?

Anyway, I owe this thread some closure

UPDATE: I [28M] wrote a song. My girlfriend [28F] listened to it without knowing I created it, and called it trash. When she found out I created it, she got extremely mad at me.

quote:

Hi everyone. My old post can be found here.

tl;dr at the bottom, because I know one will be needed.

I didn't get a whole lot of well wishing words for me on my last post. Most people felt that I was manipulative, took away her agency of choice by deceiving her, and that I deserved to have my relationship fall apart. Well, you guys were right. You win.

She hadn't "officially" broken up with me, but I could tell the relationship had been in its final stages. Long story short, the day after I wrote my post (i.e. the day I responded to most of the comments), a few hours later, I called her, told her to stay at her mom's place, that we were fundamentally incompatible, and that this obviously wasn't going to work out.

I wanted to provide some background to our relationship, to clarify what I believe to be a few misunderstandings in the responses to my previous post.

I had been asking her for a long time to provide me with honest critique to my music. I've approached her before about why her answers are so vague and placate-y when it comes to my music. I told her I can obviously see the contrast between that, and how she critiques all music, whether she likes it or not. She outright denied that she was just placating me, and that there's nothing to worry about, and all my music is great, and that I'm being crazy about it. The last time her and I talked about this, I was not subtle in my communication. I directly told her that I would value her critiques and take it to heart, whether the critique was positive or negative. I just really wanted her opinion, particularly considering that she's been a primary inspiration to some of my best work.

I had made it clear that I really just didn't want to be placated, because music is so, so important to me, and the same goes for her, and I'm not in it to get people to suck me off and tell me how great I am. I want to be the best possible musician I can be. And I also feel incredibly disrespected by being placated, like I'm some child who can't take criticism. I've never given anyone, let alone her, reason to believe that I would need placation. Beyond this, she still denied it all, but I could tell it was pretty much BS, and it was driving me crazy.

So months and months later, I've gotten nowhere with communicating with her, and I still have the nagging suspicion, to the point where I'm not even asking her opinion anymore, because it just makes me mad. A few days ago, it just popped in my mind like it was no big deal, to play her one of my, "pretty okay, pretty meh imo, but still had pretty okay responses from the general public" songs. Basically just throw away instrumental I did when I was bored, and kinda dug it at the time. And I didn't tell her it was me. We finished listening, and I asked her what she thought of that tune? She goes off on it, basically hating it. See: my previous post.

I said, "okay, thanks so much, I'm so glad I could finally get it out of you, I agree with a lot of what you said."

She goes, "wait, that's your song?"

I said, "Yeah, it's an old one."

And she gets mad and says, "what the gently caress, /u/gfmusicthrow!"

And we get into an argument about it. She thinks I went out of my way to manipulate her, like it was sociopathic and premeditated. I'm telling her, "it's not even that big of a deal, why were you lying to me in the first place?"

And she said, "Because I just don't like your music. Are you happy?"

And we continue to fight. It escalated to the point where we started swearing, so she said, "you know what? I don't need this," and walked out.

She's been there ever since. Fast forward to the break-up conversation. She said she felt guilty about not liking my music for two reasons. One because she thinks it was hosed up that she simply didn't like her SO's art, and she was ashamed of that. The other reason is that, a lot of the time, she feels like she doesn't know what she's talking about, and didn't want to rip my music apart like she does with most songs, because she could totally be wrong, and then she'd be an rear end in a top hat. I was really upset by this. I feel like I called her out on her lying months ago, and she kept lying to me, instead of...just saying that. I tried so hard to tell her months ago, that it's okay if she doesn't like it, but she just clammed up, thinking I was going to fly off the handle and end our relationship over it.

After months and months of telling her that I didn't want to be placated, she kept trying to placate me, and wouldn't communicate the real reasons. How am I supposed to expect her to be an adult and communicate what she really feels, instead of lying to avert imagined conflict when we have relationship issues in the future?

Music is such a huge and important piece of our lives together, and this situation probably wouldn't have gotten to where it is if it weren't. It may seem silly to those of you on the outside that what appears to be just a stupid, petty argument lead to the complete break down of a relationship.

And now I'm just left confused, and lonely. She was also my best friend in the entire world, and there's a void inside of me, and a voice telling me I'm making a huge mistake. And I'm confused, and pulled in multiple directions.

Thanks for taking the time read this.

tl;dr: She admitted to placating me, despite me making it painfully clear that I didn't want to be placated. Instead of communicating the real and somewhat valid reasons she didn't want to critique my music, she continued to lie and make me think I was crazy for seeing right through all the "no, no it's great". The breakdown in communication has royally pissed me off, and makes me feel condescended to, but at the same time I love her, and want to work on this.

A few points.

1. Still no song provided

2. He comes off better here imo but I think he should have realized when she wasn’t comfortable critiquing and either accepted that or realized they were incompatible.

3. Nevertheless, because I have already made a stand and as a man an honorbound to die upon my hill, and in light of point 1, I still find him to be the relationship villain in this case.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Pick posted:

All my sex is beneath the boards.

The tell tale hard-on

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

UPDATE: I [28M] wrote a song. My girlfriend [28F] listened to it without knowing I created it, and called it trash. When she found out I created it, she got extremely mad at me.

A few points.

2. He comes off better here imo but I think he should have realized when she wasn’t comfortable critiquing and either accepted that or realized they were incompatible.

3. Nevertheless, because I have already made a stand and as a man an honorbound to die upon my hill, and in light of point 1, I still find him to be the relationship villain in this case.

Actually I think you can find that they are both villains and the real hero in this story is the stand-up folks at Verizon ®️ Wireless who helped keep the cellular network strong and stable for their break up phone call

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

A few points.

I don't really agree with 2 at all, I feel like her being uncomfortable with simply being honest with him was entirely the problem. The update p much confirms all my suspicions from the original, there were basically two options: he was a big baby and had reacted badly in the past to negative criticisms, or she was kind of an rear end in a top hat who'd rather lie to his face than simply help him with something he felt was important. It was the latter. I honestly do not understand her "predicament" at all because I feel like helping your SO better themselves is a core fundamental of actual relationships, I help my gf all the time with her grants and papers and it's weird to me someone would be able but unwilling to do that.

It's understandable that like an acquaintance or such would be hesitant to give an honest review of something because they're just being diplomatic, but it's super insulting and condescending if it comes from a friend or loved one who feels they need to placate you for no reason. If there had been a history, sure, but there hadn't been.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 8, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Play posted:

Yeah as a wide category that makes sense, but I still think in this case going around telling family members that your nephew's new wife was a "sex worker" would make anyone jump to the more extreme sense of that word. If they're interested at all in limiting the drama from all this, they should just stick with "stripper" or even "worked at a strip club"

Yeah, I agree ‘sex worker’ can cast a wide net, but that term in itself probably makes most people think of prostitution.

And if that guy’s family are extreme religious weirds, I wonder what poo poo the guy that said ‘hey I recognize that stripper’ got.

Speaking of sex work:
Me [26 M] with my girlfriend [24 F] 1 year, she said she loves me and adores me, its just I'm not sure I'm comfortable with her past.

quote:

I met N a year ago she used to be a waitress and when I was drunk and feeling confident I asked her out. She's from Russia and came here 4 years ago to live a better life.

She's only my second girlfriend and she's honestly the best, she does a lot for me even though I never ask her too. She cooks for me even though I tell her she doesn't have to but she said she likes to do it for me.

She told me something recently and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it, she said she told me this because she trusts me so much. When she was younger and before she came to the US she used to do sex work in Russia.

She said she had to make ends meet and that she really regrets doing what she did. She said she's just trying to leave that life behind and that she was telling me this because she feels safe with me.

I just don't know how to feel about this though, I know its wrong to think this way but I find sex with her kinda.....gross now. I know it sounds horrible and I have been trying to just get over it because I really love her but I can't.

She has noticed that i haven't been as interested in sex and has asked me if I'm okay and I just say its because I'm tired. But I don't know how to put these feelings aside because I hate feeling this way. Advice?

tl;dr: My girlfriend used to do sex work in Russia I have had a hard time getting past this and want to know what to do.

I feel bad for the girlfriend in this story, and surprisingly for Reddit, 99% of the comments are sympathetic to her. Except this genius.

quote:

Bremple
You should leave this relationship if you can't respect her. Maybe next Thanksgiving you can go give thanks for not being born into a place and time where sex trafficking and being forced to turn to prostitution to survive and avoid violence is your only option.

CuriousNow9
Wow that is so harsh. Who really knows if she was forced into it. She might have been but drat how can you reach someone while your throwing rocks at them.

R/relationships: Who really knows if she was forced into it

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't really agree with 2 at all, I feel like her being uncomfortable with simply being honest with him was entirely the problem. The update p much confirms all my suspicions from the original, there were basically two options: he was a big baby and had reacted badly in the past to negative criticisms, or she was kind of an rear end in a top hat who'd rather lie to his face than simply help him with something he felt was important. It was the latter. I honestly do not understand her "predicament" at all because I feel like helping your SO better themselves is a core fundamental of actual relationships, I help my gf all the time with her grants and papers and it's weird to me someone would be able but unwilling to do that.

It's understandable that like an acquaintance or such would be hesitant to give an honest review of something because they're just being diplomatic, but it's super insulting and condescending if it comes from a friend or loved one who feels they need to placate you for no reason. If there had been a history, sure, but there hadn't been.

While good talk is better than no talk, bad talk is still really bad.

The way I read it, girl lacks self-confidence, boy lacks ability to take criticism. Dude knows his poo poo stinks and is mad that girl doesn't have the backbone to call him out. Relationship ends when girl grows a backbone.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

While good talk is better than no talk, bad talk is still really bad.

The way I read it, girl lacks self-confidence, boy lacks ability to take criticism. Dude knows his poo poo stinks and is mad that girl doesn't have the backbone to call him out. Relationship ends when girl grows a backbone.

where do you get the impression he can't take criticism? That was a valid concern with the initial post, but this one made it clear he had been gunning for an honest review the entire time and she had never provided one.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I Was The Fury posted:

Actually I think you can find that they are both villains and the real hero in this story is the stand-up folks at Verizon ®️ Wireless who helped keep the cellular network strong and stable for their break up phone call

They’ve sure as hell been better at phones than Comcast this week.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, I agree ‘sex worker’ can cast a wide net, but that term in itself probably makes most people think of prostitution.

And if that guy’s family are extreme religious weirds, I wonder what poo poo the guy that said ‘hey I recognize that stripper’ got.

Speaking of sex work:
Me [26 M] with my girlfriend [24 F] 1 year, she said she loves me and adores me, its just I'm not sure I'm comfortable with her past.

I feel bad for the girlfriend in this story, and surprisingly for Reddit, 99% of the comments are sympathetic to her. Except this genius.

Yeah that's a pretty hot take, but it's good that most of the rest of the comments are sympathetic.

I also find this to be one of the less ridiculous and/or offensive OPs that have been brought up here... I've never been in this particular situation but I think it's pretty natural to be confused about how to cope with that situation. I always raise an eyebrow when people get told about that sort of situation and say things like "but I find sex with her kinda.....gross now", though I get that it's probably a knee-jerk reaction that you can't just willpower away, it's something you have to work through. Which it sounds like maybe this guy is genuinely trying to work through it?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LadyPictureShow posted:

Speaking of sex work:

Given the timeless, I'm guessing the girlfriend began sex work at 13-15 in Russia.

Sounds like the guy met an awesome girl who he should continue to support through encouring her to get some therapy to address any potential affects of past sexual abuse.

ArbitraryC posted:

where do you get the impression he can't take criticism? That was a valid concern with the initial post, but this one made it clear he had been gunning for an honest review the entire time and she had never provided one.

"I had been asking her for a long time to provide me with honest critique to my music. I've approached her before about why her answers are so vague and placate-y when it comes to my music. I told her I can obviously see the contrast between that, and how she critiques all music, whether she likes it or not. She outright denied that she was just placating me, and that there's nothing to worry about, and all my music is great, and that I'm being crazy about it."

Ex-gf gave the dude criticism. It wasn't the criticism he wanted, so he pestered her for months about it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have never, in my entire life, ever, ever met a creative person who is actually good at taking criticism. Not once, not a single time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I take it well. Outwardly.

Inside is a different story.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am not saying that it is impossible, there might be some species out there, somewhere in the galaxy, some strange variety of bacterium, a blind shrimp in a dark cave, that is able to take it, but that is an exception not the rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you want to know if someone can really take criticism, take a look at their output, and laugh at it. Don’t harsh on it, just laugh. Be like, are you loving serious? You thought this was good? Ha ha ha!

Of course, only do this if you need their tears for some sort of witches brew.