Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

- more money for me

- gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

I know this isn't fair ... I know it's a dark comedy. But it got a bit too dark for me.

Dumb poo poo could have just let the chick arrest him. He was clearly shooting in self defense in the video - assuming you could even prove that was him. Same with killing his friend - he really didn't need to go that route. And that scene where they raid the stash house, and there is like... hundreds of thousands of dollars of cocaine in the background, and a loving duffel-bag of money... and it totals out like 30 grand or something? Stupid poo poo, but it really bugged me. Also I hate that loving girlfriend now for some reason too. So yeah.

Yeah it did almost the exact thing Dexter did when it lost me except Dexter didn't kill Doakes, the show just sort of let that happen and it still pissed me off

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

- more money for me

- gently caress you

Well you'll never finish it at this rate if you keep getting probated like a dumbass :yum:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

gurm would have to get probated from TGIFridays to actually work on this fuckin book

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

Yeah it did almost the exact thing Dexter did when it lost me except Dexter didn't kill Doakes, the show just sort of let that happen and it still pissed me off

yeah that bothered me too. I could maybe go along with him not doing it ( due to his code? ) but when the show made it happen regardless, it just felt like bullshit. Do you think he should have killed him?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

Well you'll never finish it at this rate if you keep getting probated like a dumbass :yum:

Reading through his probate/ban list is its own form of entertainment.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Season 2 of Deadwood was almost as awesome as the first. Third season was kinda weak though.

Maybe I'll start a rewatch of The Wire. See if season 5 is as bad as I remember.

I remember finding season 2 jarring, since I wasn't expecting new characters... But on re-watch I enjoyed it. I'm still not sure if season 3 or 4 is the best. Season 5 sort of sucked.

fun fact - sometimes I hear my dad talking about life on the streets, and realize he is pulling his info directly from The Wire. Which is weird because he's worked with criminals his whole professional life. I'm not sure what to make of that.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

yeah that bothered me too. I could maybe go along with him not doing it ( due to his code? ) but when the show made it happen regardless, it just felt like bullshit. Do you think he should have killed him?

no I think Doakes should have stayed on the show and worn Dexter down until he had a panic disorder and just gave up entirely

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

barry's girlfriend also felt really similar to rita

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

no I think Doakes should have stayed on the show and worn Dexter down until he had a panic disorder and just gave up entirely

you mean until doakes was worn down?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Doakes getting blowed up real good was the ultimate surprise, motherfucker.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Remember how people still speculated he somehow survived that? Dexter was great.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

uhh you can watch the wire on there, it's fine

You can watch The Wire on Amazon Prime. :colbert:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is the obvious answer and they're still dangling the prospect of a movie but man, swearengen is older than grrm, I'm not hopeful.

GRRM cocksucker!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabandiumium posted:

barry's girlfriend also felt really similar to rita

I liked Rita ok, but I can't stand Barry's GF. She's clearly selfish as poo poo, and Rita didn't seem that way to me.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I read Dunky Egg.

Dunk the lunk use the boot dunk the lunk use the boot.

Ol' Gurmus sure can pad a wordcount.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kcroy posted:

I remember finding season 2 jarring, since I wasn't expecting new characters... But on re-watch I enjoyed it. I'm still not sure if season 3 or 4 is the best. Season 5 sort of sucked.

I actually just binged through season 4 and 5 over the last week skipping all the stuff I didn't care about. Season 5 is actually pretty good when you're skipping all the newspaper and Clay Davis stuff. Also cuts the season run time almost in half.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad my serving as an example led a thread right back on track to discussing its main topic, bad television shows

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 7, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You know what guys, he's right. I think the Capitals are going to lose tonight but then win it at home.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

You know what guys, he's right. I think the Capitals are going to lose tonight but then win it at home.

Nobody cares about hockey. When's football season start again?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I actually just binged through season 4 and 5 over the last week skipping all the stuff I didn't care about. Season 5 is actually pretty good when you're skipping all the newspaper and Clay Davis stuff. Also cuts the season run time almost in half.

I felt like there was supposed to be this theme about how was the "real" serial killer was Marlo - but no one cared in the media. But that theme wasn't ever fully developed. Look at how weird this scene is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ca4WeMd2MQ

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
One of the spinoffs that GRRM is working on instead of TWoW is about the onset of the Long Night.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lycus posted:

One of the spinoffs that GRRM is working on instead of TWoW is about the onset of the Long Night.

Lol, grrm is his own Brian Herbert

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Attempting once again to read Malzazan (or however the hell you spell it) first book. Jesus christ there are so many characters and I have zero idea what the plot is or who is a good guy or bad guy. It's like ASoIaF in a blender.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

Attempting once again to read Malzazan (or however the hell you spell it) first book. Jesus christ there are so many characters and I have zero idea what the plot is or who is a good guy or bad guy. It's like ASoIaF in a blender.

Wasn't this series once held aloft by this thread on the sheer metric of "look how many books Erickson has finished while GRRM struggles to write half of one"?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

assuming it'll be YA in the vein of the hunger games

the rat cook chronicles hungry night 2: the snackening

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

wtf how did i accidentally unbookmark this thread

i was wondering where it went!!!!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-game-of-thrones-spinoff-is-a-golden-age-of-h-1826680373

quote:

HBO officially revealed today that Goldman’s series will be set thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, in a period where Westeros transitions from an era of fantastical prosperity known as the “Age of Heroes” into something more akin to the world we know of in the show—heralded by the arrival of the horrifying White Walkers, and the Long Night they cast over the land. Here’s the brief plot description, courtesy of Variety:

"And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend–it’s not the story we think we know."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kcroy posted:

I liked Rita ok, but I can't stand Barry's GF. She's clearly selfish as poo poo, and Rita didn't seem that way to me.

Rita was pure and good and the show died with her.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

syscall girl posted:

assuming it'll be YA in the vein of the hunger games

the rat cook chronicles hungry night 2: the snackening

It’s going to be anime-lite like the kid’s 40k books

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

esperterra posted:

this is also my canon version of dexter

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would also accept season 5 as an ending since it's a season about him dealing with the fallout of her death, but it isn't as good as 1-4, and anything beyond is just a fever dream. A hilarious fever dream.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season 1 and 4 were the only decent seasons of Dexter. 2 and 3 were forgettable at best. I don't think I even watched season 5. Season 6 was the one with Tom Hanks' kid right? The one were he smashed a hole in a wall because his face was painted on it and all the cops just stare at it and go "wow, that dude must have been crazy to mess up the painting he made on his own wall" and leave it at that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

2 was great tho b/c Doakes. 3 was very forgettable.

4 also was mostly bad tbqh it had a lot of the dumb poo poo they would double down on later, but Lithgow was so loving good it didn't matter.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lithgow brought that entire season up on his own. It was cool just to see him get to cut loose and really sink his teeth into the role. The fact that he left the entire rest of the cast in the dust only made it better.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

esperterra posted:

wtf how did i accidentally unbookmark this thread

i was wondering where it went!!!!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-game-of-thrones-spinoff-is-a-golden-age-of-h-1826680373

Warning, this show synopsis has been known to cause eye sprain. Be careful rolling your eyes too hard at it's predictability.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

yeah, that is actually when i stopped watching it. later I speed watched some of the lithgow poo poo it was ok I guess, but I really couldn't get past "3rd rock from the sun". And at that point it was like, cmon how many motherfucking serial killers are there already.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
completely unconfirmed

>Jaime: Wildfire?
>Cersei nods.
>Jaime: Are you sure we have enough catapults—
>Cersei: We won’t be using catapults.
>A long, measured moment of silence here. Jaime looks at Qyburn, then to Cersei. He shuts his eyes.
>His worst fears have been confirmed.

>EXT. KING’S LANDING STREETS – DAY
>Brienne and the Hound are still riding through the streets.
>The city is in utter chaos. SMALLFOLK are running this way and that, some clutching their families close, others taking what goods they can find and stuffing them in their pockets.
>Brienne glances up. On the horizon, the Red Keep draws closer and closer.

>INT. THRONE ROOM – RED KEEP – DAY
>Jaime starts walking up the steps to the throne. The Mountain watches him closely, breathing heavily from under his helm.
>Jaime: You can’t do this, Cersei. There must be another way.
>Cersei: There is no other way. The city gates will fall in an hour.
>Jaime: Innocent lives are at stake here! One million innocent lives!
>Cersei fidgets in her throne, uncomfortable.
>Cersei: Get away from me.

>>
Anonymous 06/08/18(Fri)15:06:12 No.770991318▶>>770992939 >>770994689

>Tyrion: I hear my brother promised you a castle.
>Bronn: Oh, aye. Several times. But now that the old oval office’s gotten himself killed, I reckon I’m not going to see neither brick nor mortar of any castle.
>Tyrion: I wouldn’t be so sure.
>Bronn raises an eyebrow and whips his horse to a halt.
>Bronn: Come again?
>Tyrion: You proved yourself a capable warrior in the War For The Dawn. You helped vanquish the Night King and his armies, you single-handedly took out the Golden Company generals. The Queen does not forget your service… despite past grievances.
>Bronn: That’s one way to put it.
>Tyrion: Nevertheless, a Lannister always pays his debts.

>Tyrion leads his horse up to the crest of the hill. Bronn follows behind, stopping next to Tyrion to marvel at…

>THE TWINS. Sitting idle and undisturbed in the golden sunlight.
>Tyrion: Consider the debt paid twice-over.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol @ appealing to the lady who nuked a church in the middle of the city because she didn't want her son to gently caress his wife with "INNOCENT LIVES ARE AT STAKE HERE!!!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've seen that Tyrion quote before.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol @ appealing to the lady who nuked a church in the middle of the city because she didn't want her son to gently caress his wife with "INNOCENT LIVES ARE AT STAKE HERE!!!"

Yeah it should be “lannister lives only guilty of conspiracy at best are at stake here “

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

completely unconfirmed

>Jaime: Wildfire?
>Cersei nods.
>Jaime: Are you sure we have enough catapults—
>Cersei: We won’t be using catapults.
>A long, measured moment of silence here. Jaime looks at Qyburn, then to Cersei. He shuts his eyes.
>His worst fears have been confirmed.

>EXT. KING’S LANDING STREETS – DAY
>Brienne and the Hound are still riding through the streets.
>The city is in utter chaos. SMALLFOLK are running this way and that, some clutching their families close, others taking what goods they can find and stuffing them in their pockets.
>Brienne glances up. On the horizon, the Red Keep draws closer and closer.

>INT. THRONE ROOM – RED KEEP – DAY
>Jaime starts walking up the steps to the throne. The Mountain watches him closely, breathing heavily from under his helm.
>Jaime: You can’t do this, Cersei. There must be another way.
>Cersei: There is no other way. The city gates will fall in an hour.
>Jaime: Innocent lives are at stake here! One million innocent lives!
>Cersei fidgets in her throne, uncomfortable.
>Cersei: Get away from me.

>>
Anonymous 06/08/18(Fri)15:06:12 No.770991318▶>>770992939 >>770994689

>Tyrion: I hear my brother promised you a castle.
>Bronn: Oh, aye. Several times. But now that the old oval office’s gotten himself killed, I reckon I’m not going to see neither brick nor mortar of any castle.
>Tyrion: I wouldn’t be so sure.
>Bronn raises an eyebrow and whips his horse to a halt.
>Bronn: Come again?
>Tyrion: You proved yourself a capable warrior in the War For The Dawn. You helped vanquish the Night King and his armies, you single-handedly took out the Golden Company generals. The Queen does not forget your service… despite past grievances.
>Bronn: That’s one way to put it.
>Tyrion: Nevertheless, a Lannister always pays his debts.

>Tyrion leads his horse up to the crest of the hill. Bronn follows behind, stopping next to Tyrion to marvel at…

>THE TWINS. Sitting idle and undisturbed in the golden sunlight.
>Tyrion: Consider the debt paid twice-over.

Jaime stabs Cersei in the stomach just as she ignites the wildfire and blows up the Red Keep. The last shot of them in the series is a lovingly crafted CGI tracking shot of them hurtling skyward together and disappearing into the sun Team Rocket style.