Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

banned from Starbucks posted:

It's worse because I think that t-rex was supposed to be the new born from lost world.

Well gently caress me, if that's true then no other death in the series, past or future, will be more grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
On the other hand, that fight between the T-Rex and the Spinosaurus is one of the best dino scenes in the whole series.

I'm also not really convinced that the T-Rex is supposed to be the newborn. There's no reason to believe that those two Rex's and the newborn were the only ones to ever live on the island at Site B.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is Site B mentioned at all in this film?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basebf555 posted:

On the other hand, that fight between the T-Rex and the Spinosaurus is one of the best dino scenes in the whole series.

It really is, I love JP3 to death and it has some great scenes in it despite it's flaws. Not many seem to share in that sentiment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

It really is, I love JP3 to death and it has some great scenes in it despite it's flaws. Not many seem to share in that sentiment.

I wouldn't say I love it, but it does have a lot going for it. There's only so much I can complain about a movie with William H. Macy, Sam Neil, and a bunch of dinosaurs.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Site B mentioned at all in this film?

offhandedly, I cant even remember the sentence

I'd assumed they managed to catch all the Isla Sorna dinosaurs anyway (and the wiki seems to support this)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everybody shorthands the talking dream raptor on the plane as the lowpoint of the series and I’m always like what are you smoking, that’s the best scene in the movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Everybody shorthands the talking dream raptor on the plane as the lowpoint of the series and I’m always like what are you smoking, that’s the best scene in the movie.

Staring spinosaurus with a sat phone ringtone coming from inside it is the best scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like the more common complaint is just the overall subplot of the 3d printed raptor vocal chords. It was kind of a lame way to mix things up with the raptors, I guess they felt like just having characters running and hiding from raptors was old hat.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

exquisite tea posted:

nah the best scene is the lego game version where we also get a talking Ian Malcolm raptor

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

It's worse because I think that t-rex was supposed to be the new born from lost world.

You can sleep better at night knowing that theory has been debunked:

https://youtu.be/9c7-_by5Ms4

That same YouTube channel also has a pretty convincing explanation for what killed the crew of the SS Venture at the end of The Lost World:

https://youtu.be/jEahCE2Gvdg

That channel has had some neat JP content for the past few months, but you can tell he’s really scraping the bottom of the barrel lately.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Staring spinosaurus with a sat phone ringtone coming from inside it is the best scene.

Absolutely.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Violator posted:

Absolutely.

It certainly was a nice visual

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Completely, it works on so many levels, it's the middle of the day and everything is brightly lit as the family is reunited with bright happy music, then it dawns on them that something is hosed and they turn to find this massive beast staring at them like Michael Myers. The happy music becomes droning strings/choir like something out of Bloodborne but has that god drat chiptune ringtone going. It's fantastic.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like the more common complaint is just the overall subplot of the 3d printed raptor vocal chords. It was kind of a lame way to mix things up with the raptors, I guess they felt like just having characters running and hiding from raptors was old hat.

If they're going full crazy, they should have someone disembowel a raptor with a halberd or something, and have the other raptor be all confused because that's supposed to be their thing.

What I'm saying is Jurrassic Souls please.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

If they're going full crazy, they should have someone disembowel a raptor with a halberd or something, and have the other raptor be all confused because that's supposed to be their thing.

Jurassic Bone Tomahawk

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Hodgepodge posted:

I'd kill for a Tresspasser/Dark Souls hybrid with lore notes from david hammond and more freaky dinosaur hybrids as you go deeper into the island

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Since its kind of related its pretty wild that the new Jurassic World game actually has an actual story for its campaign mode which is something you don't see in tycoon games. What's great is that your 3 advisers from each dept (Science, Entertainment, and Security) are all representative of the hubris involved with Jurassic Park.

Also Ian Malcolm spends all of the game just telling you why this is all a bad idea/going to go to poo poo, but we can't do anything because the genie is out of the bottle. :allears:

I really can't wait to read the encyclopedia in this game since the devs apparently went deep with the lore and paleontology research/dig sites.

As for JP3 I kind of hate it, but its pretty funny how the ending Spinosaurus scene with it in the water is actually pretty accurate to how it lived (though it was much goofier looking in real life)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

achillesforever6 posted:

Since its kind of related its pretty wild that the new Jurassic World game actually has an actual story for its campaign mode which is something you don't see in tycoon games. What's great is that your 3 advisers from each dept (Science, Entertainment, and Security) are all representative of the hubris involved with Jurassic Park.

Also Ian Malcolm spends all of the game just telling you why this is all a bad idea/going to go to poo poo, but we can't do anything because the genie is out of the bottle. :allears:

I really can't wait to read the encyclopedia in this game since the devs apparently went deep with the lore and paleontology research/dig sites.

As for JP3 I kind of hate it, but its pretty funny how the ending Spinosaurus scene with it in the water is actually pretty accurate to how it lived (though it was much goofier looking in real life)

Yeah. I'm kind of looking forward to the game. I want to just play it as a park simulator though and design nice attractions and watch the dinosaurs chilling out.

I get the impression it'll basically rail road me into constant disasters and politics.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah. I'm kind of looking forward to the game. I want to just play it as a park simulator though and design nice attractions and watch the dinosaurs chilling out.

I get the impression it'll basically rail road me into constant disasters and politics.
Isla Nublar is sandbox mode, what will be fun is making a park out of Site B

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xenomrph posted:

That same YouTube channel also has a pretty convincing explanation for what killed the crew of the SS Venture at the end of The Lost World:

That channel has had some neat JP content for the past few months, but you can tell he’s really scraping the bottom of the barrel lately.

I am dying watching this guy's channel.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I know that stupid people making stupid descisions are a staple for these kinds of movies but maaaaaaan are there some incredibly stupid folks in this movie.

Movie is....ummmm a bit of a mess, there's enough there I like I guess, Chris Pratt is a charming presence.

The kid is a big eye roller though. I swear Hollywood has this factory where they push out perfectly bland and modelled kid actors that are used once and then never again. I mean, christ, the kids in the first Jurrasic Park were pretty annoying at times but they had a personality! This one acts like a lifeless clonse...

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's neat to have a director who's actually adept at horror. I wish he got to use those skills in a much better movie.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I had no idea there was such a large and active JP fan-theory community. When I clicked those links there were tons and tons of similar recommended videos that came up!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MrMojok posted:

I had no idea there was such a large and active JP fan-theory community. When I clicked those links there were tons and tons of similar recommended videos that came up!

I'm definitely falling down the rabbit hole on this.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'd like to see the next one be like a post apocalyptic thing a la Planet of the Apes where Chris Pratt has to fight the raptors with improvised weapons and ingenuity. And maybe a moderate Raptor who seeks a detente with the surviving humans.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

BigglesSWE posted:

I know that stupid people making stupid descisions are a staple for these kinds of movies but maaaaaaan are there some incredibly stupid folks in this movie.

Movie is....ummmm a bit of a mess, there's enough there I like I guess, Chris Pratt is a charming presence.

The kid is a big eye roller though. I swear Hollywood has this factory where they push out perfectly bland and modelled kid actors that are used once and then never again. I mean, christ, the kids in the first Jurrasic Park were pretty annoying at times but they had a personality! This one acts like a lifeless clonse...

at least the stupid people arent getting anyone but themselves killed this time
(and Henry Wu is still the only sane bad guy)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
There are a few really good directing moments, and a nice little Nosferatu reference as well.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 8, 2018

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I loved this movie. I went in expecting a big stupid summer action film with incredibly stupid decisionmaking by the bad guys, and that's what I got. Highlights:

The running joke with the big carnivorous dinosaur getting owned by the t-rex everytime it tried to get a meal. Right at the end it seemed like it was going to get a break and get to eat the main bad guy, BUT NOPE, in comes t-rex again. At least it got to taste the guy's legs.

The ridiculous amounts of intelligence the indoraptor and Blue showed. I swear Blue read the warning sign on that loving exploding gas tank. I also swear that after indoraptor climbed back up from falling through the glass it shook its head a bit, as if to say "that won't work fucker".

Also despite Wu's small role, I liked it. He's still just a man who loves making superdinosaurs without giving a gently caress about ethics.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The indoraptor literally smirked, I swear

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

DeafNote posted:

The indoraptor literally smirked, I swear

I know, isn't it great

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah it defo smirked and it was great

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Initial thoughts - better than 2, 3 and 4. Way more enjoyable than I expected.

I didn't really enjoy the first half, because it was just The Lost World beat for beat and it felt incredibly rushed. But then I realised that it was all setup for the real movie: The Spencer Mansion with Dinosaurs. :allears: It was really fun.

I did enjoy how quickly they abandoned the pretence that the transparently evil militaristic hunters were on their side. The movie didn't even attempt to present it as a surprise when they betrayed the heroes after literally three minutes.

God drat is the characterisation weak though. Other than the key traits established in the fourth movie Chris Pratt and BDH may as well be playing slabs of meat who may or may not kiss.

I do feel cheated out of Jeff Goldblum though. I wasn't expecting his part to be big but Jesus.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 8, 2018

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Woooow that film was a big old bag of crazy. I enjoyed it for the spectacle, and I generally have no problem turning off my brain for these sorts of films but there was so much stuff in that which took me out of it.

I have to confess though I was a little bit disappointed that the young Lara Croft clone didn't turn out to have juuuuust a smidgen of dinosaur DNA in her or something dumb so she could control the indoraptor. In fact, when it did that really big zoom on her eye, I fully expected her pupil to turn to a slit. What a wasted opportunity.

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 9, 2018

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Initial thoughts - better than 2

Hell no. 2 has better setpieces than 1, even, in places, and some masterfully directed sequences. And Kaminski's cinematography works incredibly well in certain sequences. I actually *like* 2 more than 1 (because I like satire and Ian Malcom makes one of the best audience stand ins ever), even if I'll easily admit it's not as tightly made or important.

This movie was stupid as hell, but not stupid enough to be farcical and good. It only had to go a little more in the ridiculous direction to go over the top in a good way, but it was far too held back and ended up being just average and silly. The direction is a notch above 3 and 4, at least, but couldn't really save the tone.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lost World is terrible film, and surprisingly boring for a Spielberg film.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

These videos have consumed my weekend. I must have more

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spielberg literally phoned in most of the Lost World and it still managed to be more visually interesting than any JP sequel.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

exquisite tea posted:

Spielberg literally phoned in most of the Lost World

Wait what? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

s.i.r.e. posted:

Lost World is terrible film, and surprisingly boring for a Spielberg film.

great musical score though
outside of spielberg deciding to track the main theme everywhere

• Locked thread