Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Plutonis posted:

cool manga about a peasant joining the shinsengumi

https://mangadex.org/manga/20715/ichigeki/chapters/

the samurai dude in the first chapter is my hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Vinland Saga - https://mangadex.org/chapter/330319/1

The Clusterfuck at Jomsviking HQ just keeps getting Clusterier and Clusterier.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JosephWongKS posted:

New Vinland Saga - https://mangadex.org/chapter/330319/1

The Clusterfuck at Jomsviking HQ just keeps getting Clusterier and Clusterier.
lmfao now just need Thorkell to come stomping in and the gang'll be all there

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A bad man

A doting grandpappy

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

That’s a very impressive papercut

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
gently caress off, Garm. No one likes you, and no one wants you messing things around.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mikl posted:

gently caress off, Garm. No one likes you, and no one wants you messing things around.

Au contraire, I can't wait to see how he fucks up this time.

Go, complete failure, go!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I do love how confused Sigurd is.
He has NO idea what the hell is going on.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Sigurd is gonna like Constantinople.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Tezcatlipoca posted:

SigurdThe Z-fighters is gonna like ConstantinopleNamek.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mikl posted:

Garm is standing between us and more cute Gudric Thorfinn moments the absolute poo poo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Garm is standing between us and more cute Gudric Thorfinn moments the absolute poo poo

Why does Garm suck so much, anyway?

I mean, he's stupid and he sucks and I hate him, that's obvious. But it's difficult to say why he sucks so much, when Thorkell is so good in a similar niche.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I actually like Garm a lot and the difficulty he is causing Thorfinn

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I like Garm. But I also like Thorkell so I just like characters like that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah they're a great pair of lads to be fair

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Garm feels like a new player joining a long-running game and completely misunderstanding the tone and style, he's great.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Garm is cool but everyone else is so much better. The small boy just can’t compare.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MonsieurChoc posted:

Garm feels like a new player joining a long-running game and completely misunderstanding the tone and style, he's garbo. Garmbage.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think Garm is all that different from a character like Thorkell, to be honest, and I don't quite get the animosity he gets in this thread. The arc spent remarkably little time focusing on him, and it's fun to have him around to remember how far Thorfinn has come (he would have been all for killing this dude when he was around Askeladd).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if he's like thorkell, he's a shittier thorkell

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He's redundant.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

To me Garm feels like an anime antagonist creeping into a western style story. I know Thorfin started out as a shonen antihero, but the story has grown since then. It's like I'm watching Game of Thrones and every once in a while Eroll Flynn shows up. The styles just clash to much so he feels really out of place.

It's worse since he's an impediment to the established story direction. He has no political motivations to shape his actions like King Cnut, the Jomsvikings, or Sig's father in Iceland. There's no personal animosity like with Askelad, Floki, or Sig.

Garm is just there and likes to fight. That's all. And his character type is nothing that hasn't been seen scores of times already. Thorkell is at least kind of unique as a big loud meat mountain of a man that you don't see in manga that often. Garm is the guy who shows up in every shonen story at some point.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
People who love violence for its own sake are a big practical and thematic obstacle for Thorfinn's pacifism, distinct from those who employ violence for political reasons like Canute or Dicehead. Thorkell can't fill that role because he's not an rear end in a top hat - if Thorfinn tells him he doesn't want to fight, he might be disappointed and leave to find the next war, but he's not going to take his friends hostage to force him into a fight to the death.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mygna posted:

People who love violence for its own sake are a big practical and thematic obstacle for Thorfinn's pacifism, distinct from those who employ violence for political reasons like Canute or Dicehead. Thorkell can't fill that role because he's not an rear end in a top hat - if Thorfinn tells him he doesn't want to fight, he might be disappointed and leave to find the next war, but he's not going to take his friends hostage to force him into a fight to the death.

This. Thorkell respected Thorfinn's dad even if he couldn't quite understand why he went the way he did. In seeing Thorfinn doing the same thing he's developing into something that is still loving violence, but starting to maybe realize it's not necessary or for everyone to the extent he can leave Thorfinn alone if he wished.

Garm is the undeveloped version who forces Thorfinn into a situation he can't back out of so easily and is a reminder of both earlier Thorfinn and Thorkell.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
My take is that Garm's real reason for being in the series hasn't been thematically revealed yet, like he's part of a greater thing coming up soon with regard to another generation of brutal viking motherfuckers popping up, assuming he's younger than Thorfinn, which I think he is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mighty Dicktron posted:

My take is that Garm's real reason for being in the series hasn't been thematically revealed yet, like he's part of a greater thing coming up soon with regard to another generation of brutal viking motherfuckers popping up, assuming he's younger than Thorfinn, which I think he is.

Doesn't make sense. The Viking age is winding down, not gearing up.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Otoyomegatari.

Very sweet.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Hat guy is such a good person.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
At the suggestion of Dr. Sunshine, I'm crossposting this from the general slice of life thread!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I guess it hasn't been mentioned here before, but there's a page-a-day 4koma, Sing, Erinna!, that I think would fit into this - it's not a slice-of-Japanese-life, but it's a slice-of-life nonetheless.

Erinna is a young girl who is studying at a school run by the great poet Sappho on the isle of Lesbos in ancient Greece (circa 600ish b.c.e.).

It is very cute, and I really like how it actually (lightly) is dealing with overcoming doubts and fears, and there seems to be basic character development in side characters.
I highly recommend it.

And it has some nice historical tidbits and notes throughout, about Sappho and some other historical figures and ancient Greek culture.
It's an easy read that's really cute and fun.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

At the suggestion of Dr. Sunshine, I'm crossposting this from the general slice of life thread!

And it has some nice historical tidbits and notes throughout, about Sappho and some other historical figures and ancient Greek culture.
It's an easy read that's really cute and fun.
This was delightful! Thanks for sharing it!

I really like stuff like historical slice of life stories that do a good job bringing a setting to life with sweet personal stories.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Hat guy is such a good person.

I would not mind further stories of hat guy and hopefully accumulated good karma paying off.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Munin posted:

I would not mind further stories of hat guy and hopefully accumulated good karma paying off.

Hopefully the third time will be the charm for Hat Guy, marriage-wise. He deserves it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

OOF

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, I mean, Sappho.

Sappho.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Otoyomegatari.

Feels like we’re building to a wrap up plot.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sing, Erinna! has just released an adorable ending.

I understand why the author ended the mange there. Erinna was a real ancient Greek poet, and her main (partially) surviving work is "The Distaff". Here is a translation of part of the poem:

My gravestone, my Sirens, and mourning urn,
Who holds Hades’ meager ashes,
Say to those who pass by my tomb ‘farewell’,
Both those from my town, and those form other states.
Also, that this grave holds me, a bride. Say also this,
That my father called me Baucis, and that my family
Was from Tenos, so that they may know, and that my friend
Erinna engraved this epitaph on my tomb.

I am the tomb of Baucis, a young bride, and as you pass
The much lamented grave-stone you may say to Hades:
‘Hades, you are malicious’. When you look, the beautiful letters
will tell of the most cruel fate of the Baucis,
how her gather-in-law lit the girl’s funeral pyre
with the pine-torches over which Hymen sang.
And you, Hymen, changed the tuneful song of weddings
Into the mournful sound of lamentations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
that kind of retroactively changes the tone of the entire loving series

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

golden bubble posted:

Sing, Erinna! has just released an adorable ending.

I understand why the author ended the mange there. Erinna was a real ancient Greek poet, and her main (partially) surviving work is "The Distaff". Here is a translation of part of the poem:

My gravestone, my Sirens, and mourning urn,
Who holds Hades’ meager ashes,
Say to those who pass by my tomb ‘farewell’,
Both those from my town, and those form other states.
Also, that this grave holds me, a bride. Say also this,
That my father called me Baucis, and that my family
Was from Tenos, so that they may know, and that my friend
Erinna engraved this epitaph on my tomb.

I am the tomb of Baucis, a young bride, and as you pass
The much lamented grave-stone you may say to Hades:
‘Hades, you are malicious’. When you look, the beautiful letters
will tell of the most cruel fate of the Baucis,
how her gather-in-law lit the girl’s funeral pyre
with the pine-torches over which Hymen sang.
And you, Hymen, changed the tuneful song of weddings
Into the mournful sound of lamentations.

Noooo... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

god drat it :negative: