Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I disagree completely, garrisons are great whether they’re yours or the enemy’s, and having non-city ports and mines and poo poo was horribly tedious. Also, limited build slots are way more fun than the old system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Halflings when

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This mod I use lets Ungrim replenish his Slayers at an insane rate, and it's fun how battles tend to play as "ensure the enemy breaks before Slayer units lose too many dwarfs" because otherwise you lose out on recruit costs and also it's going to be a while until you get gold-rank Slayers.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Shogun 2 was one of the best games for sieges imo.

Garrisons were small and weak so didn't give a major advantage, it took away the need for siege equipment (which was a big bonus for me), and even on the biggest castle maps you usually had three angles to attack from (as opposed to Warhammer's single big wall or two smooshed into the back of the map).

I think Warhammer is okay, there's just too many cities, especially in ME. And minor settlements shouldn't ever get walls. Hell, just faction capitals having walls would be about perfect.

Smaller map, code AI to only hold X territories max, X can be pseduo random and you'll get to fight lots of factions and it'll be fun.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Smaller map, code AI to only hold X territories max, X can be pseduo random and you'll get to fight lots of factions and it'll be fun.

Aren't there diplomacy traits for AI that change their behavior to not be expansionist? Seems like it would be an easy thing to mod in.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I think Warhammer is okay, there's just too many cities, especially in ME. And minor settlements shouldn't ever get walls. Hell, just faction capitals having walls would be about perfect.

No walls on minor settlements would straight up make the game unplayable for me.

The AI already does that stupid poo poo where they declare war, refuse to fight and stance dance around sacking what ever doesnt have walls.

I would rather they ditch the 3D campaign map and go back to the pre-Rome style honestly.

Or they could fix the AI, but that ain't happening.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Bring back Medieval 1’s risk style board.

Cross the entire Russian Steppe in the same length of time it takes to move from Rome to Pisa.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

First time I've gotten this message, is it new with this patch?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

And minor settlements shouldn't ever get walls. Hell, just faction capitals having walls would be about perfect.
Absolutelyfuckingnot with limited armies (especially escalating cost limited armies). As already pointed out the AI already is an expert at drive by pickoffs of unwalled cities. Unless you intend to have large garrisons in cities by default.

But yes I'd consider the major minor + limited armies a failure compared to Shogun 2.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

First time I've gotten this message, is it new with this patch?

Based on how much of the map’s green, it’s not wrong!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Shogun 2 is nearly unplayable now, idk how people still love it. Major minor and limited armies 4ever

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite memories of Shogun was finding a quote on one of the loading screens that simply read something along the lines of “Blah blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah blah”

Formatted like a Haiku and everything. It was incredibly funny to my baked brain at the time but I’ve never seen it since.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
People who've gotten into an Ungrim playthrough: is it advisable to consolidate all the mountain provinces north of the Silver Road first before going for the Vampire Counts? I'm in position to go after Mannfred and take on three stacks of undead with a full stack of tier 1 dwarfs, a fight that I'm not sure I can win decisively but would take the heat off Ostland if I did without losing too much.

On the other hand, while I could push south, I have a feeling the Greenskin tribe that ran over Zhufbar would be able to pull Mannfred into my war against them, resulting in me getting flanked from two sides while still lacking enough cash to fund two stacks to fend off both the undead and Greenskins.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Gunbad is priority 1,2,&3

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Have not played this since around launch. Decided to come back to it since it has been awhile and figured that Tomb Kings would be out by now. They are. :toot:

Did they ever improve DX12 performance? I recall that being worse performing than DX11 and also offering no discernable improvements in graphics back at launch.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Senor Dog posted:

idk, I rolled a ME campaign recently where holding off from rushing Gunbad before I cleared the Northern Ork faction was a great choice; they broke Zufbar but came out of it savaged, and cleaning them up was both easier and gave me a toe-hold into the Zufbar province.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Siets posted:

Did they ever improve DX12 performance? I recall that being worse performing than DX11 and also offering no discernable improvements in graphics back at launch.
You can always just try it, but I'd stick with DX11. On my hardware DX12 gives a noticeable bump in frames per second, but the loading times are practically doubled.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Raygereio posted:

You can always just try it, but I'd stick with DX11. On my hardware DX12 gives a noticeable bump in frames per second, but the loading times are practically doubled.

DX12 seemed a bit worse for me and still did not really look any better. That said, I was able to boost performance a shitload by disabling shadows, disabling ssao, using FXAA for antialiasing, and 2D Portholes. Everything else is Ultra I think. Averaging 72+ FPS in the benchmarks now.

Also looking forward to adding Blood for the Blood God. Looks like they did a good job with those effects!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Pendent posted:

One of my favorite memories of Shogun was finding a quote on one of the loading screens that simply read something along the lines of “Blah blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah blah”

Formatted like a Haiku and everything. It was incredibly funny to my baked brain at the time but I’ve never seen it since.

Don't remember that one. The advisor line for first building mangonels always cracked me up though.

(with calm Japanese accent)
"Not even the strongest castle walls can withstand these flaming balls"

I tried playing Shogun 2 again this year and it just didn't work for me. The battles are still very cool looking, the art direction and music fantastic, but compared to Warhams the campaign AI is almost braindead and the battle AI loves to suicide its general into your line (It's really lame to always kill Takeda Shingen or any of the other recognizable personalities the first time you encounter them in battle, if they are even still alive when you get to them), the old and worse campaign AI also really shows in that it is almost incapable of defending its lands and splits its forces up into a bunch of small armies without generals and sends single ships all over the place.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

KazigluBey posted:

idk, I rolled a ME campaign recently where holding off from rushing Gunbad before I cleared the Northern Ork faction was a great choice; they broke Zufbar but came out of it savaged, and cleaning them up was both easier and gave me a toe-hold into the Zufbar province.

I try this but I keep struggling to take the walled capital; I don’t have the funds to field a full stack and the greenskins just stick 18 goblins which whittle down all my slayers

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Annoyingly in my current Ungrim playthrough I've still gotten into the Badlands hellwar. Thorgrim being useless and somehow having still not taken the entire Silver Road by turn 45 or so, despite multiple full stacks around, meant I had to keep going south to wipe out the Orc faction you start at war with. Also finally got into a war with Mannfred after the jackass built a Balefire Hearth in one of Zhufbar's minor settlements and they've been too poo poo to kick him out (it's spreading Vamp. corruption to multiple of my provinces).

Though since I'm now sitting on 4 gold mines (Gunbad, Black Crag, Drakenhof, and whatever the minor settlement one near you is) I guess I can't complain too much.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
The idea of going back to a total war game without dragons and giants and magic sounds like the most boring thing to me now

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Three Kingdoms looks pretty damned cool though.

That art direction.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Barent posted:

The idea of going back to a total war game without dragons and giants and magic sounds like the most boring thing to me now

Three Kingdoms is going to be a hybrid between Warhammer and a historical title. I wouldn't discount magic yet as they said they will be recreating the romanticized account of events, which includes magic.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I can definitely see the wisdom in going for Zhufbar once you clear out the northern Greenskins; apart from the cash, it's a walled settlement so a garrison building will make it a tough target for Greenskin armies coming up from Silver Road. It's the undead I'm worried about because there's a lot of flanks to cover and you have to build up enough to afford either defensive stacks or garrisons (and therefore tier 3 main settlements) for around four settlements.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
fucks sake edit's not quote

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A thought just occurred to me that large amounts of slayer casualties should probably provide a bonus to the dwarf faction that just fulfilled a whole bunch of slayer oaths at once, something like +leadership for local armies or +public order.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Though since I'm now sitting on 4 gold mines (Gunbad, Black Crag, Drakenhof, and whatever the minor settlement one near you is) I guess I can't complain too much.

Dawi.txt

Game really encourages role play! See also the high elf above surprised that the game is suggesting life might be too easy for him.

I’m really enjoying Karl Franzing again, but it’s driving my imperial majestic self nuts watching the morons in Nuln sending their armies out into the swamp, camping for a turn, then going back to town. Wissenland seems to have invented the Boy Scouts. If Nuln hasn’t gone full arty when I take it over....

Game really encourages role play, I guess.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
They did an amazing job of making all the factions fight and play like they do in the lore. I was having a hard time as Orcs, barely enough money to survive, till I realised that loot and occupy gave me money, gave me a settlement, and made them more likely to rebel. Which is good, cause Orcs is made for fighting, and the fightiness scale means you need to fight more, not less.
Orcs don't peacefully occupy places!
And then Beastmen, building up an army is a long slink through forests, avoiding larger armies and picking off weak towns till you get strong enough to get a bunch of minotaurs and then you just loving bumrush people, your fights are short and bloody and full of people trying to run away, only to be ran down by your faster units.
All of the factions fight well, for what the faction is supposed to be.
Funnily enough, it's also a good primer on battle in general, since I haven't played much of the Total War series. But it's like with dwarfs, yeah, your guys are pretty hardy, unlikely to run, but that means most of them are going to die if you lose. Whereas Skaven, if the fight starts to go poorly, bam, your whole army runs for it. Bad for winning that battle, but your army ends up being mostly intact, good for the long term.

I don't know how you guys all play on Very Hard and the like, I'm just moving my way up to normal and I can still get into trouble if I make too many enemies at once in the early game. It was pretty funny playing TW:W1 as the dwarfs, gunning down a vampire with focus-fired cannons as his infantry based army slogged across the map, then having to fight the same guy a few turns later, with an army with tons of cavalry and bats, almost designed to prevent that strategy working again.

Also the first time a long distance fireball just massacred my Empire lord before the battle lines were even joined made me laugh so hard, it's such a strategy that a human player would use, because it's a smart move and totally loving annoying to be on the other side, and the loving computer is doing it!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ardent Communist posted:

I haven't played much of the Total War series...

I don't know how you guys all play on Very Hard and the like, I'm just moving my way up to normal

These things are probably related. A lot of us in the thread have been playing TW games for years and playing on VH or legendary is the only way to get any real challenge out of them any more.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

toasterwarrior posted:

I can definitely see the wisdom in going for Zhufbar once you clear out the northern Greenskins; apart from the cash, it's a walled settlement so a garrison building will make it a tough target for Greenskin armies coming up from Silver Road. It's the undead I'm worried about because there's a lot of flanks to cover and you have to build up enough to afford either defensive stacks or garrisons (and therefore tier 3 main settlements) for around four settlements.

If you've cleared the N and taken Zufbar you're on the way to developing two Gold Mine provinces, one of which has a sort-of additional mine in the form of the Brightstone Mine worth 1.5K a turn. With all this under your belt you really need to consider wiping out the Vamps to secure your core provinces, plus E Sylvania gets you your third Gold Mine and a Wine resource for trading. You can burn W Sylvania if there are human factions somewhere near, they'll probably move in, but if you want to be sure the vamp situation is wrapped up nicely take that province for yourself and focus both E and W Sylvania on Public Order and Uncorrupted.

Also Zufbar's Westernmost region has a Landmark that yields more Dwarven Ale resource than you will ever possibly trade away.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

Gunbad before or after Izor (?) - the province to your North with the gold mine?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1005079466186625026

Does everyone know about the event going on? Supposedly the more kills we get as Delves, the faster the new unit is released.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

If you've cleared the N and taken Zufbar you're on the way to developing two Gold Mine provinces, one of which has a sort-of additional mine in the form of the Brightstone Mine worth 1.5K a turn. With all this under your belt you really need to consider wiping out the Vamps to secure your core provinces, plus E Sylvania gets you your third Gold Mine and a Wine resource for trading. You can burn W Sylvania if there are human factions somewhere near, they'll probably move in, but if you want to be sure the vamp situation is wrapped up nicely take that province for yourself and focus both E and W Sylvania on Public Order and Uncorrupted.

Also Zufbar's Westernmost region has a Landmark that yields more Dwarven Ale resource than you will ever possibly trade away.

Incidentally, if you're willing to wade into the Badlands hellwar (because you either confederated Thorgrim or he didn't bother taking the rest of Silver Road) then the final region of the province south of Silver Road (Iron Rock, the one next to, but on the other side of some mountains from, Black Crag), there's a landmark there that gives you 100 chests of Obsidian (400 income and 2 Miners w/ BCs for the garrison too). Not sure if it's from the latest patch, but I don't think it was there last time I played dwarves many months ago.

Technically you don't have to wade into the war to get it, since that's Bloody Spears territory and not Greenskins (and Ungrim only starts at war with the spears), but you might as well once you're there.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

-apem NO DL!!!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The more I play campaign, the more I think that one of its biggest issues is the repetitive nature of the starting positions. Most factions just end up fighting the same poo poo for 100+ turns and it gets a bit boring after the first 50.

That's why I think it'd be cool if there was a random start position game mode. It'd really mix up who you get to fight and how the game ends up playing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Periphery posted:

The more I play campaign, the more I think that one of its biggest issues is the repetitive nature of the starting positions. Most factions just end up fighting the same poo poo for 100+ turns and it gets a bit boring after the first 50.

That's why I think it'd be cool if there was a random start position game mode. It'd really mix up who you get to fight and how the game ends up playing.

Since Paradox is adding a random world option to Crusader Kings, hopefully it's possible for CA to take note.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Dramicus posted:

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1005079466186625026

Does everyone know about the event going on? Supposedly the more kills we get as Delves, the faster the new unit is released.

Absolutely Bloodwrack Medusas/Shrines.

Just pray they're actually useful unlike their TT counterparts (in Fantasy Battles, at least. AoS made them good).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Man, forget going back to the Badlands settlements. My plan as Ungrim is to fight my way North and link up with Kraka Drak, to take the fight to Chaos.

And Dragon Slayers absolutely rock when you level them up enough. Gonna kit mine out with all the Slayer crafted gear and have an obscenely fast Dwarf sprinting into the fray murdering trolls and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Ugggh, greenskins suck in mortal empires. Can barely get out of my starting area before encountering dwarven doom stacks.