Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Should I disable Agents in Rome 2? Or at least limit them to 1 per faction? I just started a Lusitani campaign and my main stack has been getting decimated by a 5 star spy which keeps constantly poisoning my troops whenever I try to move outside my province and it's getting annoying. My own spy had like an 8% chance of doing anything to him lol I last got to endgame back in like 2016, but I know there's been a number of balance patches since then - does it ever get less silly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kenzie posted:

Yeah and the matched animations meant that you couldn't have 2v1 or 3v1 fights right? Every fight turned into a bunch of locked one-on-one duels while the animations played out, while it should be about teamwork and formation fighting instead. In a real fight, if you are standing in the middle of a big formation, the biggest threat is not the enemy right in front of you. You can easily parry or block his attacks, since he's the one you're paying attention to the most. The biggest threat is the enemy two ranks down the line, since he can look over and see you distracted by the guy in front of you, and then he can reach over with his long spear and jab you in the face while you're not looking.

In a TW game though, not having the matched animations makes flanking much more important than just the morale penalty applied to the whole unit being flanked. It makes you have to watch out for the corners of your formations, because the guy in the corner might be facing 3 guys at once, and you will start having guys stabbed in the back. The battles become more dynamic and it makes it more important to have a solid, steady line instead of battles being determined only by the individual unit stats.

Yeah, this was most apparent in Shogun 2 siege battles, you could have 500 guys surrounding 1 guy on the final point and they would patiently wait for their turn to 1v1 him. Since it was the final point, he would fight to the death and could sometimes kill dozens of guys due to rng. Rome 2 fixed this a bit by having both matched animations and generic attacks. It no longer happens in Warhammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCuQjAuu3ZY

I quickly tried to find a video example, but that's the best I could come up with.

Edit: I found a better example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTHu1ECocOs

Azran posted:

Should I disable Agents in Rome 2? Or at least limit them to 1 per faction? I just started a Lusitani campaign and my main stack has been getting decimated by a 5 star spy which keeps constantly poisoning my troops whenever I try to move outside my province and it's getting annoying. My own spy had like an 8% chance of doing anything to him lol I last got to endgame back in like 2016, but I know there's been a number of balance patches since then - does it ever get less silly?

I just disable agents for the ai and never touch them.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 8, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, this was most apparent in Shogun 2 siege battles, you could have 500 guys surrounding 1 guy on the final point and they would patiently wait for their turn to 1v1 him. Since it was the final point, he would fight to the death and could sometimes kill dozens of guys due to rng. Rome 2 fixed this a bit by having both matched animations and generic attacks. It no longer happens in Warhammer.

Did they have matched animations in the older games? I've always wondered how they did large monsters in the Lord of the Rings mod for Medieval 2, despite that game not having HP pools so one good roll means dead dragon. If every fight was 1v1 then those large monsters would last a lot longer than if everyone was free to gang up on them and spam attacks at once.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Did they have matched animations in the older games? I've always wondered how they did large monsters in the Lord of the Rings mod for Medieval 2, despite that game not having HP pools so one good roll means dead dragon. If every fight was 1v1 then those large monsters would last a lot longer than if everyone was free to gang up on them and spam attacks at once.

No, the older games were just guys swinging at the closest model. You could have 1 v as many as could reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qiS4dg4OLY

You can see at the 12 minute mark.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You still had hitpoints in the older games. It's just that almost all had 1 hitpoint. With a very few exceptions like elephants having multiple. All the conquistador units also had 2 or more hitpoints in the Americas campaign for M2 as well IIRC

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Azran posted:

DeI sorts this by getting rid of the ability to just ruin stacks with poison specced spies and greatly lowering the assassinate chance. Spies are pretty much only used to scout and delay enemy armies which I think works nicely.

e: speaking of, the next big DeI update is in beta atm and you can grab it from TWC. It visually overhauls Rome and properly overhauls Carthage and their custom India faction. It also has a bunch of campaign updates like changing your capital, making Pella and some Gaulic capital into special capitals and overhauling mercenaries to make them more viable as permanent troops rather than temporary troops.

The Carthage update seems interesting so far, they get a similar auxilliary system as rome but its all based around regional mercenaries so until your first reform your core troops are weak (apart from recruit anywhere early elephants!! and decent armoured cavalry) but if you build a mercenary barracks you can recruit a varied roster of souped up mercs as well as hiring cheap mercenaries through the regular system to quickly raise armies.
They also seem to get a building tree I haven't explored much of basically local districts, so like Greek District, African District etc that give you lots of + growth and also buff your relations with that particular culture. So I could see some cool use for it like building Greek districts to get them to gang up with you on Rome or invade Gual and build a province full of Gaulic districts to pacify the locals.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 8, 2018

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

You still had hitpoints in the older games. It's just that almost all had 1 hitpoint. With a very few exceptions like elephants having multiple. All the conquistador units also had 2 or more hitpoints in the Americas campaign for M2 as well IIRC

They also had a similar "bonus vs large" mechanic, so Elephants would die quickly to javelins, but not as quickly to normal infantry.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The trick to elephants was to use flaming arrows/pigs one them so they can rampage through their own lines with as many hitpoints as possible. :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
You haven't played Rome 1 if you hadn't fought a custom battle that was all elephants on one side and all flaming pigs on the other. Or all flaming pigs vs all peasant mobs.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We have gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQX6qBiCu9E

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wow the army grouping really is way different

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's a press release of a premade battle, but it looks like there might be multiple commanders per army and different commanders recruit different units?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They mentioned in one of the other previews that there'll be multiple generals again, so that part for sure.

This all looks really amazing, and it's not even necessarily a bad thing but I do think with so much emphasis on characters, it's likely the game will be limited to just China proper? I don't see how they can extend the same flavor to regions outside China that we don't have so much recorded from, which is a shame since I was hoping to get to play as Korean and Vietnamese factions.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Some Pedantic Complaints: Narrator can't pronounce "Xia". Also counterweight trebuchets are a thousand years early and wall breaches almost never happened in Chinese siege battles - battles instead focused on the gates. Game is unrealistic, will not preorder.

/s

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 8, 2018

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Welp, guess it's time to buy a new computer.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Units look a fair bit smaller than in the screenshots, could just be settings though.

I was kinda hoping they'd do some tech shenanigans to have bigger armies to show off the huge Chinese armies of the period

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hi, hello, I haven't really been following this game and I don't know much about 3 Kingdoms. Is Pontus in it?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It is. And it's quite benevolent.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Welp, guess it's time to buy a new computer.

...Maybe system requirements won't be that beyond Warhammer.

I can hope.

At least I have a decent graphic card.

I actually wonder what the dudes over on TWC think about this, I am curious, I remember back when I was a teenager and actually read and posted on that forum that alot of them were always clamoring for Three Kingdoms.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It looks drat good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

First mods I'm installing: 4x unit size. Chinese names.
I'm not gonna have any idea what anything is and my PC will burst into flames but it will be AUTHENTIC damnit

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Mordja posted:

Hi, hello, I haven't really been following this game and I don't know much about 3 Kingdoms. Is Pontus in it?

You're in luck! The "three kingdoms" actually refers to the three states of: the kingdom of Pontus, Cappadocia-by-the-Pontus, and Bithynia et Pontus. This time, you have to play as Pontus.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress, the axe troops looked vicious in combat, the animations seem really good.

Edit: "Here is a unit of cavalry. We are going to charge them into this unit of spears."

https://tubedubber.com/?q=jQX6qBiCu9E:MS55Laq5n3U:0:100:0:0:1

I hope to god we can get a soundtrack mod.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 8, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Holy gently caress, the axe troops looked vicious in combat, the animations seem really good.

Edit: "Here is a unit of cavalry. We are going to charge them into this unit of spears."

https://tubedubber.com/?q=jQX6qBiCu9E:MS55Laq5n3U:0:100:0:0:1

I hope to god we can get a soundtrack mod.

They may have been lovely spears, and they weren't in any kind of closed formation. There's plenty of examples in history of cavalry attacking and defeating spear-armed troops, spears being the ultimate counter against cavalry is very much a game thing (and don't get me started at swords being the counter against spears) and not really a real thing. Spears are versatile weapons good on both the attack and the defense because of their reach and versatility and the ease of using them in formation. Sure you have units of heavy infantry, more often than not armed with spears, withstanding cavalry charges, but that does seem to have more to with presenting a dense sort of solid obstacle that it's hard to make horses charge into (the spears facilitate fighting in such a formation though). When you see cavalry actually being more or less directly countered in battles it seems to more often be with cavalry, skirmishers or massed missile weapons (crossbows were the preferred method of the Chinese to deal with steppe nomads, that and employing steppe nomad cavalry of their own).

Anyway... enough about that, it was probably just a trailer and a lovely spear unit attacked by an elite cav unit. They will most likely keep the old RTS rock-paper-scissors weapon strengths. Sadly I say, I don't mind it being rock-paper-scissors, but I'd really love to see spears move out of the ghetto of just being defensive troops you use to fend off cavalry, when properly they should be the most versatile infantry you have, able to fulfill many different roles.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Anyway... enough about that, it was probably just a trailer and a lovely spear unit attacked by an elite cav unit. They will most likely keep the old RTS rock-paper-scissors weapon strengths. Sadly I say, I don't mind it being rock-paper-scissors, but I'd really love to see spears move out of the ghetto of just being defensive troops you use to fend off cavalry, when properly they should be the most versatile infantry you have, able to fulfill many different roles.

In Shogun 2 campaign, Yari Samurai were probably the best all-round melee troops to bring as they were armored, could withstand cavalry charges and would do decently well against sword infantry, giving you enough time to flank anything you couldn't outright defeat. Katana Samurai absolutely melted to cav charges.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Those mid-battle insults are Dynasty Warriors as gently caress. Zhang Liao :allears:

And the Xiahou Dun-Lu Bu duel is everything I hoped for with the general duels. Hopefully if you jack Lu Bu's horse and spear your ingame model actually changes to include them-- Warhammer was kinda disappointing in that regard.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

normally eschew capital letters, always got marks taken off in school... so this is rare...

YOU CAN KILL LU BU AND WEAR HIS loving HAT!!!! I AM GONNA WEAR THE gently caress OUT OF THAT HAT!!!!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dramicus posted:

Honestly, it was hilarious and thematic. 1v1 Honorable Duels only, gun-wielding gaijin go home

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

In Shogun 2 campaign, Yari Samurai were probably the best all-round melee troops to bring as they were armored, could withstand cavalry charges and would do decently well against sword infantry, giving you enough time to flank anything you couldn't outright defeat. Katana Samurai absolutely melted to cav charges.

This is the one thing that really annoyed me about Shogun 2. Cavalry ended up being pretty useless because the basic unit backbone of every army was also a strong counter to them. I mean sure, I guess you could lock down a yari unit with infantry and then bring cav around for a rear charge, but that's throwing two units, one of which is probably fairly expensive, in to deal with a basic ashigaru unit. It's easier to just bring lots of archers and let them deal with things than to micromanage a bunch of mounted units to get mileage out of them while also not getting wrecked by spears.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cavalry was good for taking out the enemy general and harassing their archers.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

First mods I'm installing: 4x unit size. Chinese names.
I'm not gonna have any idea what anything is and my PC will burst into flames but it will be AUTHENTIC damnit

The Laboratory from Warhammer 2 only you can apply it to entire campaigns instead of just custom battles.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dramicus posted:

I reckon yari samurai are terrible, they lose a one-on-one fight with ashigaru who are in spear-wall formation.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Krazyface posted:

I reckon yari samurai are terrible, they lose a one-on-one fight with ashigaru who are in spear-wall formation.

Most units lose one-on-one against a spear-wall in Shogun 2.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Krazyface posted:

The point was they're more flexible and useful in a wide variety of situations. Being best all around doesn't mean that you win 100% of fights, especially against enemies that are set up specifically to beat you or at least hold the line. Aside from 1v1 with the ashigaru in a spear wall, what else are ashigaru better at? Less armor, worse melee stats, no speed buff, worse morale. I'd rather have the samurai.

And drat Three Kingdoms looks good. I'm really glad they are willing to mix things up so much. I'm interested to see what they do with the campaign gameplay.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the real problem with yari samurai is that naginatas did all the same things but better except being slower and a little more expensive

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

the real problem with yari samurai is that naginatas did all the same things but better except being slower and a little more expensive

They actually perform worse against katana samurai than yaris. Do some 1v1 tests and you will be surprised.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I keep 2-3 yari samurai on hand to cover my flanks before I can wheel the ashigaru line around to poke things to death.

Oda supremacy

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

oh my god :swoon:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zACljAqjwm8

Just in case someone remains stubborn about matched animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That is one hilarious disciplined gun crew. They even politely move the gun around to not get in the way.