Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's not much grouping before like level 10 because there's not as much point, but from then on there's players in every zone at every level.

poo poo there's probably 4 level 8s at orc hill right now.

The orc camp in East Commons seems popular too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Has anyone gotten far in the coldain ring quests? I'd like to pick this up again but I remember some of the early bits being easy to solo but a group or at least a couple bards being necessary for some of the middle steps. If anyone wants to do this, let me know.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Inimicul posted:

Has anyone gotten far in the coldain ring quests? I'd like to pick this up again but I remember some of the early bits being easy to solo but a group or at least a couple bards being necessary for some of the middle steps. If anyone wants to do this, let me know.

Get in touch with Lynen/Beauw, he has tons of experience with the ring quests.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Turns out I already have the ring up to 7. I didn't expect that. Isn't 8 one of the really hard steps?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
8 is hard if you actually try to do the fight the way it was designed. If you have a few people who know what they're doing, it's pretty easy to pick Chief Ry`gorr out solo and wreck him for his head. 10 is the real war that you need a fairly organized guild-level effort to not gently caress up.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Edit: Nevermind, I didn't read enough.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Any of you have a SS plate hands MQ for sale?
I have an SS chain coif I could trade or sell for the plats. Lemme know.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

8 is hard if you actually try to do the fight the way it was designed. If you have a few people who know what they're doing, it's pretty easy to pick Chief Ry`gorr out solo and wreck him for his head. 10 is the real war that you need a fairly organized guild-level effort to not gently caress up.

Yeah, I think the trick with Ry'Gorr is that you have your group in position in the camp ready to snag him when he pops. Kill him right away and scoop up his head and run back to the dwarves still marching out. There will be a certain line the dwarf commander will shout, once he does you can turn in without loving it up.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
http://wiki.project1999.com/Chief_Ry%60Gorr lists his head as only being a 16% chance of dropping. Dear God, I hope that's wrong.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Inimicul posted:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Chief_Ry%60Gorr lists his head as only being a 16% chance of dropping. Dear God, I hope that's wrong.

Because it only drops during the event. It's a special spawn with the same name.

Edit: Has identical loot otherwise.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inimicul posted:

The version that spawns during the raid always drops the head.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92hjzGRqiZQ

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
The hard part of ring 8 is winning the roll. I have 2 chars with ring 7 and all the pieces for ring 9 done... just can’t win that roll for the life of me. I’m dreading doing another on the sham whenever I throw the dkp at ring 10.

Same with scout. Neither my monk nor rogue have even a single bracer. Luckily I got the range on my sham back when a buddy with a clickbot could win the turn in every time.

The ring 8 fight is really easy though. Get a lull/harmony class to lull the giant adds and then just root off the 2 orc adds and kill chief.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this guy's videos rule. i'd never seen the iksar/scorpion dudes (lake of ill omen was as far as i got on kunark).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

this guy's videos rule. i'd never seen the iksar/scorpion dudes (lake of ill omen was as far as i got on kunark).

Yeah i love all his videos

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

My wife and I were thinking about finally giving p99 a try. Has anyone here applied for an IP exemption before? If it will take upwards of two weeks, as the OP suggests, then I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
It's gonna take you 2 weeks to get to level 5, so probably should pass.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

They approve IP exemptions in batches. Maybe you apply one day before a wave gets approved and you're playing the next day. Maybe you apply one day after and it takes 3 weeks.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I've been using my phones hot spot to get online when I want to play with the kids. EQ uses so little bandwidth. Ping times aren't much different. I wouldn't swarm kite with it, but it should hold you over until you get approved.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's plenty of people who either tether cell data or use a free VPN to let other people in their household play while they wait for IP exemptions. Just know that actually 2boxing using these methods is a bad idea, especially if you're actively playing multiple characters for an extended period of time - it's pretty obvious to both other players (who will report you) and staff (who will occasionally surprise summon and test you) when people are doing this.

Oh, and if you do get an exemption, know that running two P99 clients at the same time on the same computer is practically an autoban - once you have an exemption you're basically on a guide watch list because, stupidly enough, people for some reason think they can be sneaky about boxing if they can just get an exemption.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 14, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was reading raph koster's blog posts on swg's development recently and it was funny how eq saw its biggest drop in subs when they added vendors to the game (i think he was the one who figured it out).

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah, there's plenty of people who either tether cell data or use a free VPN to let other people in their household play while they wait for IP exemptions. Just know that actually 2boxing using these methods is a bad idea
Thanks, I'll probably end up using a VPN to play with her while we get approved. Also I never boxed back in the EQ days and think boxing would be boring so it isn't an issue.

Slightly off topic but you guys got a free VPN you recommend? Google is poo poo for this kind of thing.

Raine fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 15, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funion posted:

My wife and I were thinking about finally giving p99 a try. Has anyone here applied for an IP exemption before? If it will take upwards of two weeks, as the OP suggests, then I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble.

I'm pretty sure my exemption took like 2 months. Two literal months.

Funion posted:

Also I never boxed back in the EQ days and think boxing would be boring so it isn't an issue.

Good, and same. Boxing is weird and a whole other game that defeats the social aspects of EQ.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was reading raph koster's blog posts on swg's development recently and it was funny how eq saw its biggest drop in subs when they added vendors to the game (i think he was the one who figured it out).

Like, standard NPCs to sell fire beetle legs to?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm pretty sure my exemption took like 2 months. Two literal months.

Good, and same. Boxing is weird and a whole other game that defeats the social aspects of EQ.

I used to think the same about boxing. After I did it on the newer live server, I kinda enjoyed it. Having a box bard to bring on raids just to handle like resist songs. I would never kick or not invite a main bard to a guild/raid (or even a group) over my box. But if a couple bards dont log in for a raid for some reason, we aren't SOL.

Also, it's really fun to try to duo stuff while I was lfg. Bard + Paladin is not a strong combo, but the added mana regen + damage shield + slow, allowed me duo some stuff that I couldn't otherwise solo. This is all times when I would otherwise be afk while lfg or logging off entirely.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Funion posted:

Thanks, I'll probably end up using a VPN to play with her while we get approved. Also I never boxed back in the EQ days and think boxing would be boring so it isn't an issue.

Slightly off topic but you guys got a free VPN you recommend? Google is poo poo for this kind of thing.

If you go to the announcements page of these forums there's a deal for nordVPN, you can play EverQuest and save lowtax at the same time

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Elephunk posted:

If you go to the announcements page of these forums there's a deal for nordVPN, you can play EverQuest and save lowtax at the same time

I can't think of two worse things so :hellyeah: double up on awfulness!

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Did a fun Chardok crawl with Caiu/Pons and a streamer (who's in the guild now) on Saturday. Did you get out unscathed after you went LD Caiu?

Anyways, I think we're planning a Hole crawl this Wednesday with the streamer if anyone wants to go.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Did a fun Chardok crawl with Caiu/Pons and a streamer (who's in the guild now) on Saturday. Did you get out unscathed after you went LD Caiu?

Anyways, I think we're planning a Hole crawl this Wednesday with the streamer if anyone wants to go.

I have not logged back in actually! I barely remember going to Chardok as I was pretty trashed that night. Guess I can make a cup coffee, log in, and hope my spell load out is good enough to survive the initial agro.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Did some duoing after a lot of help and charity, my shaman is almost 9 now. Anyone who wants to go today is hella welcome

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I'm still playing on and off. Busy rear end week this week so nothing till the weekend, but I have a mid-19 magician parked in S Ro at the moment. I should buy spells! Also I need to research spells I guess!

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
figuring out bard macros while also simultaneously learning the value of /stopsong when walking into a city

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
the guards don't really like my singing i guess :shrug:

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

mister magpie posted:

Yeah or Illusion: Air Elemental. At least a dozen 'gently caress!' and book it to the next zone incidents for me. :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mister magpie posted:

Music is BANNED in the civilized cities of Norrath!

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Does anyone play p2002? It seems more my speed but would like to play with some people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

Did some duoing after a lot of help and charity, my shaman is almost 9 now. Anyone who wants to go today is hella welcome

i got to level 9 a week or so ago but stopped playing cuz nobody is around to group at that level. only see people getting power leveled at orc camps.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

i got to level 9 a week or so ago but stopped playing cuz nobody is around to group at that level. only see people getting power leveled at orc camps.

Come join iksar crew! We're 8-11 and leveling in the pit/kurn's. I can't bind you, but somebody can, and we can summon food n poo poo.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I can't remember if I played on P2002 or not. I don't see it in the server list. I know I played on some server that allowed boxing and went up to PoP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The guy Caiu and I have been dungeon crawling with lately also does a once a week lowbie group he Twitch streams that's around your range (he has an 11 Enchanter.)

He's in our guild and I invited him to our Discord, so that could be an avenue for grouping at your level (at least once a week.)

On another note, I made an Iksar Monk recently too. But it's probably going to take a me a bit to get him geared up.