Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I agree 100% with some of the UI and gameplay comments. I think Expeditions need to be more interesting (maybe little CYOA sequences would be more entertaining) and the Mansus becomes less interesting once you’re farming it a bunch (as I currently am for influences and secret histories lore). I didn’t read all their developer blogs, but I do think there are a lot of things that might have been intended to be more interesting and gotten left on the cutting-room floor, like more levels of cult headquarters or more shops (the Capital feels a bit bare once you realize it’s just Moreland’s, the Auction House, and the Club). Combining Lore and grinding Expeditions feels tedious.

Currently plugging away towards a Power victory, but honestly I can see myself starting another run to try out a Lantern win, or do the Detective run just to see what that’s like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How the gently caress are you guys winning, I die like 20 minutes in every game.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh and now I really want to figure out what the Bird-Worm secret is

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How the gently caress are you guys winning, I die like 20 minutes in every game.

What are you dying of? The early game is definitely the most dangerous, but you can get ways to survive most threats pretty quickly if you know how. Probably the hardest to deal with is Fascination.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

megane posted:

What are you dying of? The early game is definitely the most dangerous, but you can get ways to survive most threats pretty quickly if you know how. Probably the hardest to deal with is Fascination.

I can think of two or three early game activities (which have little or no benefit) that people trying to figure out the game are going to be doing constantly because of a feeling that you've got to keep all your plates spinning somehow.

Specifically, Dreaming with Passion or Reason will usually cause more problems than it solves. Exploring the moonlit streets, or whatever the card is called, is useful to pick up the occasional Glimmering while you're training Passion but doesn't offer any real benefit. And the club has almost no benefits worth visiting at all. You can't even chain it to try and pull a 4th Erudition for training Reason a second time. All three options can give you Fascination when your only real solution to that problem is waiting ages for Restlessness to show up.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tehan posted:

Speaking of save files, I checked out my post-game one and it had this:

"currentending": "minorgrailvictory"

I won through a Grail ascension, and apparently that's minor. Looks like there's greater victories planned.

lets hang out posted:

I've seen some people taking about continuing the game after a victory coming in an update but I didn't know where they had gotten the idea from.

Well, the thing is, at the end of the current victory you're "only" a Long- the least of the ascended. You'd think the ultimate objective would be to turn yourself into an Hour.

lets hang out posted:

Well there's https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Athenian_Murders

Lion is Hercules's first labor, boar is the fourth, bull is the seventh. Is that book in the game?

Kennedy mentioned that the Thunderskin is a character from Greek Mythology, though I haven't been able to work out which.

What are Heart's first, fourth and seventh lores?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Kennedy mentioned that the Thunderskin is a character from Greek Mythology, though I haven't been able to work out which.

I seem to recall reading that it began dancing to the beat of the drum made from Marsyas' skin.

That the save file line mentioned the Lion, the Boar and the Bull in the same order that they appear in Hercules' trails makes me think it's definitely related.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I GROW BRIGHTER, THE TRUTH IS SPEAKING

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Wait, the main character of the Athenian Murders is called Heracles, another name for Hercules. Would it be as simple as signing up to the mailing list as Heracles Pontor?

E: Or the parallel could just be a confirmation that it's talking about the Labours of Hercules instead of anything else involving those animals. Wikipedia tells me that the Labours are attributed to Peisander, which I'm sure is a name that comes up in the game.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 8, 2018

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pirate Radar posted:

but I do think there are a lot of things that might have been intended to be more interesting and gotten left on the cutting-room floor, like more levels of cult headquarters or more shops (the Capital feels a bit bare once you realize it’s just Moreland’s, the Auction House, and the Club).

HQ stuff wasn't cut, it's just to be expanded later post release. They said they didn't have time to flesh it out more before launch.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Goddammit I already did FL's enigma, I was not ready to fall down this rabbit hole a second time.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Tehan posted:

Wikipedia tells me that the Labours are attributed to Peisander, which I'm sure is a name that comes up in the game.

I misremembered, it was actually Poemander in the game.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I thought the aspects of the cult were limited to the same 3 lore you have for your desire. But you can base your cult around any lore.
I went with secret histories this time and it lets you upgrade your minions with any lore. It also limits the level you can upgrade them so it's very easy to get many 5 strengths but not beyond. Not sure how useful that is as getting them to that point is only difficult for the very beginning of the game.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Anyone know what they been patching?

I have gotten two very small patches 3 megs and about 750k in the last two days.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tormented posted:

Anyone know what they been patching?

I have gotten two very small patches 3 megs and about 750k in the last two days.

Bugfixes - I know at least one fixed bug was one I reported, about this: "Well, drat. There are hints for every untranslated language but Fucine. I've added that for the next patch - thanks for the spot!"

A book in the study category wasn't doing anything, y'see, and now it is!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

On that note: why is Fucine called Fucine? Phrygian and Mandaic are both given their typical names, but as far as I can tell Fucine is usually called Marsian?

Also wondering what Sanskrit's "advanced" variant will be, if/when that gets patched in. Avestan's not obscure enough, I think?

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
Edit: Ignore, apparently part of that was from a beta build which isn't in the live patches. Magic coins are definitely no longer considered tools though, just ingredients for rite/initiation purposes.

Perpetual fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 9, 2018

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm really deep in the game and I haven't gotten any rites that consume ingredients which is annoying as hell. I think it'd be The Rite of the Mother's Mercy. I have all sorts of random end game stuff but I can't use any of it!

Also for anyone who isn't a Grail cult who is having trouble finding prisoners for the Spider Door -- I generally find that Hirelings are a very trusting once you pay them up front :mrgw:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Into the cupboard, buddy!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How do I get a patron?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

(Barely a spoiler at all) Talk about Lore. Most of the time you'll get recruits, but patrons show up randomly too.

Oh and the Bright Young Thing gets one as part of their starting story.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

megane posted:

I keep just racking up decrepitude without being able to cure it fast enough, or I get a bunch of dread back to back.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I keep just racking up decrepitude without being able to cure it fast enough, or I get a bunch of dread back to back.

You know you can cure illness/injury by just using it in Dream with either Vitality or Money, right?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I've found that getting some extra base stats on board is pretty easy and helps a ton with getting into things. Like getting the 2nd stat is super easy, and getting your 3rd is fairly easy. If you focus on it you can get 4 health just by doing work with your skill+studying health, reason has a way a book to generate more fairly easily, and there are a bunch of ways to get glimmerings for passion.

Once you've got like 3 of your stats, and you see the affliction event, just fit in a work/study of one of your other health cards, then you can dream away the affliction with vitality, or if you're money bags you can use money to cure it. Afflictions stick around for 3 minutes, so you've got plenty of time to finish out stuff to get vitality/money and curing it.

You'll eventually find more ways to generate contentment, or ways to burn off restlessness/dread, or leveraging dread to remove fascination.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So there's supposed to be an ending for each of the aspects, eventually. Any guesses? I hope the secret history one revolves around writing a new timeline.

I also hope for but don't really expect a well-intentioned but completely crazy cult goal. Like I mean, every one of the ones seen so far (there's only 3, but still) is pretty selfish. Some days you wanna play the high-ideals cultist who is probably just as doomed and maybe just as bad but at least they try gods-beyond-drat-it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

An ending where you destroy the Bureau of Suppression and seize secret control of the world would be cool.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

That would be Heart, I guess.

In terms of super endings for the future, I guess it would involve that one mega ritual that eats like 7 cards.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You know, it occurs, heart is the aspect that preserves and aids mundanity by separating it from the occult, according to the aspect text, but the whole preserves and sustains bit seems to fall completely away in favor of movement and noise once you actually start doing things with it. Like it just seems like the aspect in play is unrelated to, when it isn't somewhat opposed, to how it is described.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont really know if i understand fascination. i never actually see the card, the counter doesnt tell me anything and either it works itself it out or i die without really any options or feedback that i can figure out

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Verviticus posted:

i dont really know if i understand fascination. i never actually see the card, the counter doesnt tell me anything and either it works itself it out or i die without really any options or feedback that i can figure out

As I understand it

Fascination provokes visions, it pops up and eats fascinations and then you die, but you can stop it by producing dread.

Like contentment stops the dread timer.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i guess i understand that part, but i havent noticed like, a source of it. or a use for it other than dying. is it a penalty for something, or completely random? I think ive seen the card a single time but ive definitely died to it another time

also: why do i occasionally just become decrepit? i dont have the injury box in some weird place and the music usually changes, but sometimes i just lose a health without warning

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Fascination technically has a use, but it's almost as bad as having Fascination. It's not a penalty exactly, but it is a risk/cost associated with certain actions, high level books, and certain Mansus locations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been interpreting fascination as being the damage your mind takes from dealing with all this supernatural poo poo. You're just some scrubby mortal trying to get into the next world.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Yeah, I think fascination is you seeing things the mortal mind wasn’t meant to comprehend and then becoming “of course, Carstairs is now quite mad, poor fellow”. Dread keeps you balanced, but too much of it and you just give in to despair.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

TheBlandName posted:

Fascination technically has a use, but it's almost as bad as having Fascination. It's not a penalty exactly, but it is a risk/cost associated with certain actions, high level books, and certain Mansus locations.

Fascination has a decent mid game use, albeit on a verb that tends to have 100% utilization. It's an Influence with weak Moth aspect, so with the appropriate rite you can sacrifice it (and keep your more useful things) to summon an 8 Moth thing to dispose of evidence for you or whatever else. It's not a use that I would go out of my way to get Fascination for, but if the verb's available and I have a Fascination on the table it feels like an obvious choice to me.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm basically tapped out on books and locations for expeditions (unless I spam way: beyond the stag door for secret histories?), I managed to do my first summon ritual and use the hint to promote all 3 of my lantern disciples to seers with all that lantern and I've got a bundle of tools and such.. should I be looking for the lore solution to the next door (spider door?) which I'd expect would be an 8 point lore, or should I just be trying to get my ascension if i can maintain 6 marks (let it slip back to 3 when i didn't have prisoners handy)? I think I was just a few points short with a seer + hint + lantern lore but not sure if i can make up those points with the slots i have available anyway. if i should keep working on doors is it just a case of grinding mansus dreams for histories to get expeditions to get books as there's still a couple of lores i don't have 6/8s for?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ayn Randi posted:

I'm basically tapped out on books and locations for expeditions (unless I spam way: beyond the stag door for secret histories?), I managed to do my first summon ritual and use the hint to promote all 3 of my lantern disciples to seers with all that lantern and I've got a bundle of tools and such.. should I be looking for the lore solution to the next door (spider door?) which I'd expect would be an 8 point lore, or should I just be trying to get my ascension if i can maintain 6 marks (let it slip back to 3 when i didn't have prisoners handy)? I think I was just a few points short with a seer + hint + lantern lore but not sure if i can make up those points with the slots i have available anyway. if i should keep working on doors is it just a case of grinding mansus dreams for histories to get expeditions to get books as there's still a couple of lores i don't have 6/8s for?

The next door for you will be the Spider Door, yeah, and yes, certain 8 point lores show you the way to it. If you don't know which, just try dropping various lores into the slot and it will tell you when you have the right type but not enough of it..

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

does having a shitton of mystique make it harder to get investigated? i had like 10 of them and by the time the hunter burned them all, all my notoriety was gone

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I keep losing Voiceless Dead while sending them to destroy evidence, which is hilarious to me because I imagine them bumbling around the police station at night scratching their head.

Verviticus posted:

does having a shitton of mystique make it harder to get investigated? i had like 10 of them and by the time the hunter burned them all, all my notoriety was gone

Yeah, you muddy the waters with poo poo that's like kinda eccentric or mysterious but not actually a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"I know he's guilty! My investigation is on the verge of a breakthrough!"

"Excellent! Then you've found evidence of supernatural activity?"

"Uh, well. I mean, he's painted a poo poo-ton of portraits of this middle-aged lady he knows. Like, a poo poo-ton."