Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IPCRESS posted:

Dynamite lava canals. Send the lava where there's nothing worth worrying about. Utah, possibly.

Do a Lex Luthor, make more real estate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

revolther
May 27, 2008

Rexxed posted:

I think they do that to wear the gator out so it won't fight so much. Maybe he needed to aggravate it more.
I'm no lip reader, but I can guarantee you this was in response to, "How do we know if the tape is gonna hold?"
SLAP SLAP SLAP
"Still got hands, it'll hold"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Some men just can't let go.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

SelenicMartian posted:

Waste not, want not.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:

revolther posted:

I'm no lip reader, but I can guarantee you this was in response to, "How do we know if the tape is gonna hold?"
SLAP SLAP SLAP
"Still got hands, it'll hold"
You're pretty much on the mark.
Tapem down. Then give it a little provocation to make sure the tape will hold while your in a position to get away.
You don't want to find out that the tape isn't enough while it's right next to your face; though, as this demonstrates, it's still plenty dangerous.

RE: Lava chat:
There's this whole, interesting sequence of things that happens to turn a wasteland of crumbly rock into a wasteland of lush vegetation.

You might be able to jump start it by going through with bulldozers and other heavy equipment to break up the rock. Follow that up with manure spreaders and seeding with the appropriate local plants.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Moto42 posted:

There's this whole, interesting sequence of things that happens to turn a wasteland of crumbly rock into a wasteland of lush vegetation.

You might be able to jump start it by going through with bulldozers and other heavy equipment to break up the rock. Follow that up with manure spreaders and seeding with the appropriate local plants.
I would watch a show called Terraforming Hawaii.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Surtsey was part of the seafloor until the 1960s eruption and it already has vegetation with zero human intervention.

that's not the problem here. the problem is that lava rock is fresh and unweathered, meaning it is jagged and destroys poo poo that moves over it through thousands of tiny cuts. plants typically do not move very much so they dont care about being on jagged rock or sheer cliff faces or whatever

also, the question is if there's a way to speed up the weathering process to less than a fifty year timescale

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

that's not the problem here. the problem is that lava rock is fresh and unweathered, meaning it is jagged and destroys poo poo that moves over it through thousands of tiny cuts. plants typically do not move very much so they dont care about being on jagged rock or sheer cliff faces or whatever

also, the question is if there's a way to speed up the weathering process to less than a fifty year timescale

Rent a sandblaster and go wild

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

boner confessor posted:

I went to Iceland during a no snow period and it was amazing how alien and lethal the magma fields looked. All pointy and full of murder holes disguised by moss and lichen.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

rndmnmbr posted:

The answer is, volcano insurance pays out and now they own a couple acres of lava rock. Or you skipped the volcano insurance and now you own a couple acres of lava rock. There's no going back, there's no rebuilding, you just have to take a loss and rebuild your life somewhere else. Because even if you were mad enough to try, no one is going to rebuild roads and utilities out to a couple acres of lava rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w82CqjaDKmA

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
You know how you can buy those lava rocks for your grill, the porous ones that look like slag? Imagine walking over miles and miles of that. It sounds like walking on broken glass.

After decades, lichen starts to grow, and now your little murderstones are undergoing primary succession.

At some point, the ground will be pulverized enough that it resembles the Moon or Mars rather than Venus.

And after hundreds of years, that ground approaches what normal people would consider habitable, with trees and soil.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
this is the content i signed up for

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Moto42 posted:

You're pretty much on the mark.
Tapem down. Then give it a little provocation to make sure the tape will hold while your in a position to get away.
You don't want to find out that the tape isn't enough while it's right next to your face; though, as this demonstrates, it's still plenty dangerous.

Splicer posted:

I would watch a show called Terraforming Hawaii.

You might be interested in what Charles Darwin did with Ascension Island.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No reflective vest.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

You know how you can buy those lava rocks for your grill, the porous ones that look like slag? Imagine walking over miles and miles of that. It sounds like walking on broken glass.

After decades, lichen starts to grow, and now your little murderstones are undergoing primary succession.

At some point, the ground will be pulverized enough that it resembles the Moon or Mars rather than Venus.

And after hundreds of years, that ground approaches what normal people would consider habitable, with trees and soil.

Bro chillax. I walked miles all over the lava fields in Hawaii last year. I did it in Keen sandals, without a shirt because it's frigging hot in the sun! But even the couple of times I had to put my hands down it's not like razor wire, but you did get some superficial cuts.

Still, no one is building poo poo there. And nothing will grow in your lifetime, but it's not like an impossible place. You rent a bike for like 8 bucks and ride the lovely 4 mile road in, laugh at the for sale signs, and watch lava hit the ocean. It was a highlight of the trip for me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SelenicMartian posted:

"Men, I need a volunteer for an exciting job!"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

No reflective vest.

That is awesome

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Nocheez posted:

Bro chillax. I walked miles all over the lava fields in Hawaii last year. I did it in Keen sandals, without a shirt because it's frigging hot in the sun! But even the couple of times I had to put my hands down it's not like razor wire, but you did get some superficial cuts.

Still, no one is building poo poo there. And nothing will grow in your lifetime, but it's not like an impossible place. You rent a bike for like 8 bucks and ride the lovely 4 mile road in, laugh at the for sale signs, and watch lava hit the ocean. It was a highlight of the trip for me.

It was definitely not as sharp as broken glass or scalpels, but it was memorably unpleasant to sit on.

The skinks didn't seem to mind, though.

Bonus view from the summit, where I stepped in a fumarole and got my boot scalded with vaporized sulfur. Thank goodness for waterproofing and puncture-resistant soles. Also visible to those with astute eyes: a little solar-powered monitoring station to keep track of volcanic activity, since it's a Decade Volcano.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 9, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Might be worth keeping the lot in the family though bc I can't imagine you can sell it for much until it's habitable?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Can't you like, put it on stilts?

Although I suppose just getting to your house would be a pain in the rear end.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

FCKGW posted:

Can't you like, put it on stilts?

Although I suppose just getting to your house would be a pain in the rear end.

The stilts, even concrete ones, would be damaged by the sustained heat of volcanic lava. You'd lose the foundation after a flow easily, and likely the house above anyway.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Make the stilts out of lava, which is exactly the temperature of lava. How is this that hard.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lava has metal in it so it's obviously magnetic so obviously make a house floating on a big rear end neodymium foundation!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

Lava has metal in it so it's obviously magnetic so obviously make a house floating on a big rear end neodymium foundation!

Is lava the softest metal?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just build everything out of chert

God, it's like none of you played dwarf fortress

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Second behind November Rain

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Jerry Cotton posted:

Now you've got me thinking about a gallium "swimming" pool.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Why not just build the while house out of neodymium and have the lava avoid it?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lave is above the Curie point, so no, it's not magnetic :science:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

wdarkk posted:

Now you've got me thinking about a gallium "swimming" pool.

You’d want a gallium alloy instead, because pure gallium freezes above room temperature and expands like water when it freezes. So, a cloud going overhead on a mild day means you get crushed and suffocated at the same time.

In any case, good luck getting under“water” without iron boots or moving at all. If you did, though, it would be more waterlike than mercury, since liquid gallium is actually wet (and non-toxic, for that matter). It would be great to float on, though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't think you can even "swim" in mercury, jou Just float. Also the pressure under mercury is gonna be very unpleasant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t see why you couldn’t swim in mercury. You’d just look like a cartoon character as you did it.

Blindeye posted:

The stilts, even concrete ones, would be damaged by the sustained heat of volcanic lava. You'd lose the foundation after a flow easily, and likely the house above anyway.

Actively cool the supports with internal channels like is done with jet and rocket engines.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 9, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I don’t see why you couldn’t swim in mercury. You’d just look like a cartoon character as you did it.

Because it's way denser than water and you'll just float.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8KzmlIEsHs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spankmeister posted:

Because it's way denser than water and you'll just float.

So?

Reach in and paddle.

Perhaps we have different definitions of “swimming”.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Platystemon posted:

So?

Reach in and paddle.

Perhaps we have different definitions of “swimming”.

I suppose we do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PetraCore posted:

Might be worth keeping the lot in the family though bc I can't imagine you can sell it for much until it's habitable?

If you keep the lot you're paying property taxes on it. You don't get to stop paying taxes just because the road burned up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you keep the lot you're paying property taxes on it. You don't get to stop paying taxes just because the road burned up.

No but the assessed value plummets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Platystemon posted:

Actively cool the supports with internal channels like is done with jet and rocket engines.

gently caress passive protection. Build a rocket engine to blow the lava flows away! :science: