Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CannonFodder posted:

Buy a PT Cruiser, send it around the US to other posters, everyone replaces a part. If it's a body panel it must not color match any other body panel.

I will refuse out of principal to work on a PT Cruiser. Best make it a Miata. It's the only choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Standard Subaru caveats about needing to be autistically obsessive about routine maintenance if you want to still have a vehicle past the 100,000 miles point apply

Is this a thing with Subaru’s ? They have lower long term reliability ratings from what I saw in reviews and posters here, so wouldn’t surprise me.

At risk of being shamed, I will post here that we did buy a car. It actually came down to a 2015 Camry Hybrid SE with 35k miles, or a new Subaru Impreza 2018. Both were at the same price, $18,200.

We went with the Camry Hybrid. We will have it in a few days, the dealer is detailing it and putting on 4 new tires.

Hopefully it was a good choice. End of the day, when we talked through them both, the wife just liked the Camry Hybrid more. She actually ended up not liking the Prius because of the acceleration , and I think the Camry was a nice compromise of lower MPG but better driving.

And at the least, they actually quoted us $18,600, but I asked them to match to the $18,200 Subaru was selling at and they did. Not a big piece of bargaining (I guess I could have asked for a bigger discount), but something.

So hopefully we made the right choice on used hybrid vs new regular car. Either way, it’s done, so that’s at least a stress load off.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hey, congrats. Sounds like you did your homework and made a good choice.

I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

Hey, congrats. Sounds like you did your homework and made a good choice.

I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Appreciate it. And thanks to people in this thread, the advice here def helped.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My dad had a Camry Hybrid, it was pretty bulletproof and was a very competent appliance. Like you said, it was a bit more fun than the Prius at the cost of not being quite so optimized for appliance duty. It should last forever.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Proposed Budget: $15,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback preferred
How will you be using the car?: I do some hauling for work (picking up metal scrap and occasional steel cutters), and a hatchback served me well previously. Average 600 miles on the car per month for work trips via highway, so I want something that gets good highway MPG and isn't a nightmare to drive.
What aspects are most important to you? Something that's enjoyable to drive for hour stretches on the highway.

I live in the US, near Chicago.

I had a Mazda3 2016 Hatchback that lost a fight with a Toyota Camry. While I haven't had a ruling from the insurance company one way or the other yet on if it's totaled or not yet (Accident was 2 days ago), I'm not optimistic and planning for the worst. Looking at used Mazda3 '16s at my mile range (searching between 40,000 and 50,000) I'm expecting to receive a little over the amount left on the car loan but not much else, so I need to make due with what I have in savings ($2000 right now, more as the weeks go on) plus whatever change is left over from the payout.

While re-buying the same car I had is always an option, I was eyeballing the '17 Civic as an alternative. I've really liked the look of the newer civics and I almost picked one up before I went with the Mazda. So I'm looking to see if there's a third option I can check into, or for people to tell me that buying a Civic is stupid.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 7, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

I've really liked the look of the newer civics

holy poo poo we got a live one boys

Seriously, the Civic is a great car. Usually, you have to convince people that it's a great car and is good enough that they can overlook the fact that it's a design abomination. If you like the design, you should get one, and get your eyes checked.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

holy poo poo we got a live one boys

Seriously, the Civic is a great car. Usually, you have to convince people that it's a great car and is good enough that they can overlook the fact that it's a design abomination. If you like the design, you should get one, and get your eyes checked.

:negative:

Maybe it's better that I have no taste in this case.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

:negative:

Maybe it's better that I have no taste in this case.

You do you, man.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The new Civic design isn't bad, it's just... eccentric.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

IRQ posted:

The new Civic design isn't bad, it's just... eccentric.

I'm a fan of it too. I don't get it, because a couple years ago car enthusiasts were complaining "everything looks like bloated identical pods, please make them interesting", and then Honda does this to the Civic and Toyota sticks the predator-mouth face on everything, and enthusiasts say "nooooo, not like that!".

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you think the new civic looks better than a mazda3 hatch, esp in red, you don't need a new car, you need new glasses.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I didn't think the interior was too bad looking in the new civic, so he would only be making everyone else on the road look at that abomination.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it looks like a goddamn anime and i hate all the stick on black plastic bits that are huge

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
It’s a bit OTT, but I kinda like it too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

just bring back the EM1 :corsair:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I didn't mean for this to turn into car looks talk. Is there another 15-17 hatchback people have had good experiences with?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I like the Civic too and will be considering a 2019 SI coupe if they put a volume knob on the drat radio. BRZ, Veloster, and Impreza Sport are on the list also.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I want a civic type r but I am not loving paying over msrp for a car.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

Yeah I didn't mean for this to turn into car looks talk. Is there another 15-17 hatchback people have had good experiences with?

The Mazda 3 is often regarded as best-in-class, you should try one if you're shopping hatchbacks.

edit: derrrrp i just re-read your post and saw that's what you owned before. This post will remain as a testament to my mistake.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

In no particular order you can try out:

Hyundai Elantra GT - well equipped for cheap, pretty good overall
Ford Focus - old platform, weird automatic transmission, still a fairly good car and can be had very cheaply. only buy one with a manual
Chevrolet Cruze hatchback - pretty new, the Cruze is generally decent, fairly well equipped and cheap
Subaru Impreza - if you want AWD buy this car otherwise do not
VW Golf - drives very well, has a bit of a premium feel in terms of ride, NVH etc, made by germans so it's a little bit fussy and when things break it can be expensive

that's pretty much it.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I'm going to be up front and say that we really don't know what we're doing, but we will need a new car soon. My '03 Neon is going to crap out within the next year or so, so we're trying to do research now while we still have two cars. Husband or I have not bought a car in over a decade, so we appreciate any tips or suggestions anyone has (I will be reading AI and this thread as much as possible too). We also really don't have any specific requirements as far as makes/models go either (except I will not buy a GMC vehicle). I'm not sure if being so non-specific is going to be helpful. Are there any good ways to narrow down our search?

Proposed Budget:
$20k max? (I'm not sure what a fair price for a mid-range car is really.)

New or Used:
Either, maybe? I'm fine with used—like certified pre-owned—but it would be nice to have a new car for once.

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?)
Four doors, no compacts, no trucks, no SUVs, no vans. A hatchback or a crossover would be preferable. Honestly, I would buy another Toyota Matrix (husband's car). He's had this one for 15 years with no major repair issues. So, maybe something like a Matrix?

How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?)
We will be using this as a regular vehicle (nothing special like towing, or having to fit several people in at once), some commuting but nothing crazy-long. We do like to take weekend trips around the state, so comfort is a bonus. We don't have to have all of the bells and whistles like back-up cameras and parallel parking assistance.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
In no particular order:
-Turn radius! To get around in Florida you have to do constant U-turns and my Neon is poo poo at it. I'd like something that can do a U-turn onto a two-lane road without worrying about going over a curb.
-Reliability is a plus, we don't want to break down on one of the long rear end bridges down here, and I don't want to be bringing it to the shop all the time either.
-Along the same lines as above, probably no Euro cars because I don't want to have to shell out insane amounts of money when I do have to take it in for something.
-Size, as I like how high the Matrix rides compared to my Neon. I don't want anything comically large. I've driven a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it's slightly larger in size than I would like to drive (to give a rough estimate).
-Utility – I love that the Matrix's backseats fold down and there's a lot of room for transporting items in (plus the hatch opens so we don't have to drive around with the entire back door up for longer items). And the entire back is plastic so it's easy to clean.
-MPG is also important, the Tampa Bay area is just one big urban sprawl, and we like to go to Orlando every couple of months as well.

Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify or whatever. Thank you all in advance! :)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Skutter posted:

I'm going to be up front and say that we really don't know what we're doing, but we will need a new car soon. My '03 Neon is going to crap out within the next year or so, so we're trying to do research now while we still have two cars. Husband or I have not bought a car in over a decade, so we appreciate any tips or suggestions anyone has (I will be reading AI and this thread as much as possible too). We also really don't have any specific requirements as far as makes/models go either (except I will not buy a GMC vehicle). I'm not sure if being so non-specific is going to be helpful. Are there any good ways to narrow down our search?

Proposed Budget:

New or Used:
Either, maybe? I'm fine with used—like certified pre-owned—but it would be nice to have a new car for once.

Four doors, no compacts, no trucks, no SUVs, no vans. A hatchback or a crossover would be preferable. Honestly, I would buy another Toyota Matrix (husband's car). He's had this one for 15 years with no major repair issues. So, maybe something like a Matrix?

How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?)
We will be using this as a regular vehicle (nothing special like towing, or having to fit several people in at once), some commuting but nothing crazy-long. We do like to take weekend trips around the state, so comfort is a bonus. We don't have to have all of the bells and whistles like back-up cameras and parallel parking assistance.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
In no particular order:
-Turn radius! To get around in Florida you have to do constant U-turns and my Neon is poo poo at it. I'd like something that can do a U-turn onto a two-lane road without worrying about going over a curb.
-Reliability is a plus, we don't want to break down on one of the long rear end bridges down here, and I don't want to be bringing it to the shop all the time either.
-Along the same lines as above, probably no Euro cars because I don't want to have to shell out insane amounts of money when I do have to take it in for something.
-Size, as I like how high the Matrix rides compared to my Neon. I don't want anything comically large. I've driven a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it's slightly larger in size than I would like to drive (to give a rough estimate).
-Utility – I love that the Matrix's backseats fold down and there's a lot of room for transporting items in (plus the hatch opens so we don't have to drive around with the entire back door up for longer items). And the entire back is plastic so it's easy to clean.
-MPG is also important, the Tampa Bay area is just one big urban sprawl, and we like to go to Orlando every couple of months as well.

Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify or whatever. Thank you all in advance! :)

Have you looked at a Subaru Crosstrek? Can't speak for the turning radius but it meets every other requirement.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Skutter posted:

Proposed Budget:

New or Used:

In no particular order:

Take a look at a Honda Fit or a Mazda 3.

There's a whole bunch of cars in that general market that are all pretty good, actually. Honda Civic, VW Golf, Ford Focus, and Hyundai Accent are just a few of the others. Go drive some and see what you like/don't like. They all have strengths and weaknesses and you need to sort out what's important and what isn't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I mean, Prius, but alternatively, yeah, I agree with Honda Fit or Mazda3 hatch.

But also, you sound like you might like CUVs. Not as big as a grand cherokee, but higher ride than a car by a bit. Take a look at things like the Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5, and Toyota, poo poo, what's theirs, the Venza?

As far as turn radius I don't -think- much made now that you're interested in will be unable to hang a U with 2 full lanes of space but that should be something you see how you like on a test drive.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

IRQ posted:

Toyota, poo poo, what's theirs, the Venza?

Rav4

I still don’t know what the gently caress the Venza was supposed to be? Basically a minivan withot a sliding door?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s a station wagon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rock My Socks! posted:

Rav4

I still don’t know what the gently caress the Venza was supposed to be? Basically a minivan withot a sliding door?

camry wagon

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I secretly kind of like the Venza, it's basically just a lightly SUV-ized Camry wagon.

I mean, boring as all gently caress just like the Camry, but probably a reliable comfortable practical family car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

friend's MIL had one, it was all the vices of the camry, plus 600+ lbs, and it rode on low profile 20s for some reason and got awful fuel economy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it has AWD too

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Enjoying this thread, lots of good info.

I've found a few candidates (Hawkeye WRX/STI and a 2011 Ford Ranger) that I'm trying to pull the trigger on.
Done a bit of research on the Subaru, but I'm pretty new to the truck/Ford/Ranger scene so I don't even know where to start.

I did find a really good looking Ranger the other day but it's about $5k more than what other trucks of that year/mileage are going for.
Any reason this 2010 Ford Ranger SuperCab 126 XLT is so expensive?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It looks clean I guess but I can't imagine spending more than like... $6k-$8k on even a really nice Ranger. From 96 or whenever they got rid of the TTB they barely ever changed it so you may as well look for one that costs half that. Maybe they saw Tacoma prices and thought their Ranger would fetch the same.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I may have to crosspost this in AI, but I might as well start here first.

My mom is looking into getting a new car, and she needs a smaller SUV/crossover. Right now she’s thinking about a Ford Escape, but Nissan has come up in conversation a couple of times too.

I don’t know much about Ford cars other than overall goon opinion on them seems to be that they’re kinda lovely. Nissan is another story; I have a pretty sour opinion of Nissans based on personal experience. My first car was a used ‘01 Maxima and that car was a loving money pit. All the money we spent repairing it in the few years I had it for could’ve easily bought a brand new car with money to spare. Now, in fairness, part of that might’ve been because it had like 80,000 miles on it when we bought it and well over 120,000 by the time we finally got rid of it, and because we were the third owners (which we didn’t find out until we traded it in; the dealer that sold it to us told us we were the second owners)... but I’ve heard that my experiences aren’t unusual for Nissan owners. We’ve talked to several car repair people and they told us that they have to do more repairs on Nissan cars than on just about any other brand. On top of that, Nissan’s 2017 VDS score was like 170, which... isn’t great (industry average was 156, lower numbers being better) (Ford’s score was actually worse lol). It improved to 133 in 2018 which is slightly better than average, but still.

I’m wondering whether Nissan has improved or not since I last dealt with them? Are they good now, or are they a brand to avoid?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I may have to crosspost this in AI, but I might as well start here first.

My mom is looking into getting a new car, and she needs a smaller SUV/crossover. Right now she’s thinking about a Ford Escape, but Nissan has come up in conversation a couple of times too.

I don’t know much about Ford cars other than overall goon opinion on them seems to be that they’re kinda lovely. Nissan is another story; I have a pretty sour opinion of Nissans based on personal experience. My first car was a used ‘01 Maxima and that car was a loving money pit. All the money we spent repairing it in the few years I had it for could’ve easily bought a brand new car with money to spare. Now, in fairness, part of that might’ve been because it had like 80,000 miles on it when we bought it and well over 120,000 by the time we finally got rid of it, and because we were the third owners (which we didn’t find out until we traded it in; the dealer that sold it to us told us we were the second owners)... but I’ve heard that my experiences aren’t unusual for Nissan owners. We’ve talked to several car repair people and they told us that they have to do more repairs on Nissan cars than on just about any other brand. On top of that, Nissan’s 2017 VDS score was like 170, which... isn’t great (industry average was 156, lower numbers being better) (Ford’s score was actually worse lol). It improved to 133 in 2018 which is slightly better than average, but still.

I’m wondering whether Nissan has improved or not since I last dealt with them? Are they good now, or are they a brand to avoid?

Nissans are designed to impress you while you sit in a dealer's lot with a salesman leaning in the driver's window. Very nice, comfortable interior and it's very easy to convince you it's a great car while you're sitting in it.

They're pretty poor on the road, though. Nissan sells boatloads of mediocre cars regardless.

A Mazda CX-3 or CX-5 would be a much better choice. The Honda CR-V or Kia Soul are also worth looking at.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Deteriorata posted:

Nissans are designed to impress you while you sit in a dealer's lot with a salesman leaning in the driver's window. Very nice, comfortable interior and it's very easy to convince you it's a great car while you're sitting in it.

They're pretty poor on the road, though. Nissan sells boatloads of mediocre cars regardless.

A Mazda CX-3 or CX-5 would be a much better choice. The Honda CR-V or Kia Soul are also worth looking at.

We already have a CR-V.

I hate Kia Souls. I hate Kias in general, but especially Souls because of their obnoxious-rear end advertising.

Mazdas all have the same pros and cons: great interiors (if you’re in the front), good gas mileage, fun to drive, but don’t have poo poo for cargo space or rear legroom. The cargo space issue in particular might be a deal-breaker for us, and I don’t know if moving up to a CX-9 is gonna help us much.

You’re right about Nissan selling shittons of cars though. I think I read somewhere that the Nissan Rogue is the #1 selling non-truck vehicle right now (and #3 overall).

I’ll post a more complete writeup of what I’m looking for in a car when I have bit of free time. Which probably won’t be until Sunday at the earliest. :(

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

You’re right about Nissan selling shittons of cars though. I think I read somewhere that the Nissan Rogue is the #1 selling non-truck vehicle right now (and #3 overall).

They're up there, for sure. Month to month car sales data gets noisy because of incentives, but here's a compiled list of 2017 US vehicle sales that has the Rogue just behind the RAV4. Wouldn't be surprised to see it overtake the RAV4 this year.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
I have a slightly question not about what car to buy, but the paperwork involved in transferring a title. Basically, my mom and I are going to swap cars. Complicating things somewhat, I'm in Ohio and she is in Illinois. Ideally I would drive to her (or possibly have her come to me depending on timing), do both title transfers (with bill of sale notarized and whatnot) and then swap plates, but I don't know if that will work since the plates will still be officially registered to my old car, but I won't be in the right state to just go to the BMV. Any guidance on how I'm supposed to navigate that would be appreciated (I also am not 100% clear on the tax situation -- since it is a gift do we avoid sales tax?). Thanks thread, sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Neurostorm posted:

I have a slightly question not about what car to buy, but the paperwork involved in transferring a title. Basically, my mom and I are going to swap cars. Complicating things somewhat, I'm in Ohio and she is in Illinois. Ideally I would drive to her (or possibly have her come to me depending on timing), do both title transfers (with bill of sale notarized and whatnot) and then swap plates, but I don't know if that will work since the plates will still be officially registered to my old car, but I won't be in the right state to just go to the BMV. Any guidance on how I'm supposed to navigate that would be appreciated (I also am not 100% clear on the tax situation -- since it is a gift do we avoid sales tax?). Thanks thread, sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this.

It would be easier just to get new plates. Most states have a form you fill out for gifting a car to a relative that avoids most of the sales tax on the market value of the vehicle.

So you each sign the title over to the other, take the old titles to the BMV along with the gifting forms and retitle and reregister each in their new states. You can ask about the feasibility of keeping the plates, but they will probably frown on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
We're moving from CA to Seattle in a couple weeks. We don't currently have a car, and we need one to drive up there. Currently waffling on whether to just rent one for the drive, or if we have enough time to test drive and grab a car here before the move. I've basically been looking at a Honda Fit / Civic hatchback, but want to know if I should be looking at anything else that's similar.

Proposed Budget: $20-25k
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door automatic compact hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Short commute, grocery hauling, basically not much.
What aspects are most important to you? comfort (no bucket seats!), reliability, cargo space and TCO. Really want a nice driving appliance that'll last us the next couple decades, and has a way to plug in our smartphones.

Also, I saw someone a couple pages back say that consumer's checkbook is a good way to offload the negotiation bs to someone else, has anyone used them? We are already stressed from the move, we'd 100% rather have someone do the legwork for a couple hundred bucks if they're legit.