Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerry Cotton posted:

Your brother-in-law is an offshoot of the German federal postal service :thunk:

His brother-in-law's mother got a package from a Postman :wiggle:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Independence Day 3 going a little overboard on the product tie-ins.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Knormal posted:

Well what did you expect with Michael Bay directing it?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

His brother-in-law's mother got a package from a Postman :wiggle:.

My b.i.l. is a postman. :shrug:

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Knormal posted:

I feel silly asking, but....There was an Independence Day 2?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yes

It was not very good

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

There were almost no people using BBSs in Germany because the federal postal service (precursor to Telekom) had a monopoly on the telephone service and flat out refused to allow using it for data transfer. IIRC they even tried to block acoustic couplers.

Did they ever explain why? I'm struggling to think of a scenario where my phone company would give a poo poo about the contents of a call.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj_j8Y4j_xI

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Johnny Aztec posted:

https://youtu.be/JekwJVSgTcU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

aardwolf posted:

Did they ever explain why? I'm struggling to think of a scenario where my phone company would give a poo poo about the contents of a call.

My guess, and I'm just spit balling here, is that they were trying to think of a way to tax/make money off the different type of communication that was using the phone lines. Could be wrong, but that's usually why companies/governments care about anything.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
TelCo computes used to make a huge profit on international calls.

Being able to use Skype or any kind of messaging system would kill that golden goose.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zzulu posted:

Yes

It was not very good

Zzulu describing the Pacific ocean: "It's a bit damp."

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lmao I really tried to like that piece of poo poo. It had big names in it. It was one of the worst movies I ever watched all the way through.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The 1996 movie was a bit more serious with it trying to sell itself as a disaster movie that is also a patriotic one. The 2016 on the other hand has Jeff Goldblum saying that the aliens love to attack landmarks, and the exchange where one military guy asked which part of the Atlantic ocean was the alien mothership over and the answer was "all of it".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

The 1996 movie was a bit more serious with it trying to sell itself as a disaster movie that is also a patriotic one. The 2016 on the other hand has Jeff Goldblum saying that the aliens love to attack landmarks, and the exchange where one military guy asked which part of the Atlantic ocean was the alien mothership over and the answer was "all of it".

When's the last time you saw the original? It was packed full of goofy moments such as "Welcome to Earth! Now that's what I call a close encounter!"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When's the last time you saw the original? It was packed full of goofy moments such as "Welcome to Earth! Now that's what I call a close encounter!"

Yeah they don't let him out much.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

theres a scene where a dog jumps away from a green screen fireball and also a scene where the president of the united states leads a squadron of fighter jets to shoot at an alien spaceship and, also, jeff goldblum logs onto the alien computer and formats their hard drive and they blow up

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

punchymcpunch posted:

theres a scene where a dog jumps away from a green screen fireball and also a scene where the president of the united states leads a squadron of fighter jets to shoot at an alien spaceship and, also, jeff goldblum logs onto the alien computer and formats their hard drive and they blow up

But only after displaying a laughing skull on all their monitors

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

But only after displaying a laughing skull on all their monitors

That's just how computer virus hacking works, don't you know anything at all?

The Bloop has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Jun 9, 2018

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He typed really hard. Good thing it was a Mac, otherwise it would never have worked!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

aardwolf posted:

They were trying to push their own lovely online service.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

The best thing is that all the alien spaceships sound like cats in the original I haven't seen the sequel.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I thought they also sneaked in a nuke? They hopped on the mothership's network to spread the virus to their whole fleet, then cleaned house with the nuke.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The virus was to shut down the shields, the nuke was just to destroy the mothership.

The stupidest thing from the sequel is when the new generation pilots get into an alien spaceship and say "It's the same as the other one" to justify why they can fly it. Except it totally isn't anything like the design of the cockpit from the first movie.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

gently caress all of you, I loving LOVE the original Independence day

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1005479651697922048

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The Bananana posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCZevpfEK5k

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Independence Day rules because it came out when I was 12. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Not enough to save the sequel though. Plus all the weird Chinese product placement.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

Independence Day rules because it came out when I was 12. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Not enough to save the sequel though. Plus all the weird Chinese product placement.

The scientific community agrees!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

To be fair it's the only movie where I've ever seen Beastie Boys music annihilate a squadron of spaceships. The rest of the poo poo movie was worth it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Scathach posted:

To be fair it's the only movie where I've ever seen Beastie Boys music annihilate a squadron of spaceships. The rest of the poo poo movie was worth it.

I thought that was Star Trek: The latest one ?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Looks like Donald maintained a cool and confident demeanor while Merkel went into a typical German pout over not getting everything her way. Abe seems unimpressed by Merkel's histrionics and he stands with the grace and confidence reflecting his understanding that America has Japan's back against NK.

But I guess it's open to interpretation

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Sorry I meant pee pee doo doo I bet drumpf is wearing a diaper

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
bolton's tiny coal-black eyes burn with unnatural heat as he yearns to dominate and destroy the rest of the world

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Bananana posted:

One of my friends used to play that speech the president gives before they fight the aliens every single 4th of July BBQ we'd have. Depending on how far into drinking we were it was either super funny or incredibly stupid. Gotta say, sometimes when you've had just the right amount of whiskey and beer, that speech can amp you up to play the best damned drunken game of volleyball ever.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

bolton's tiny coal-black eyes burn with unnatural heat as he yearns to dominate and destroy the rest of the world

*in a very CSI voice* Zoom and enhance. ENHANCE! Yes, there, in his eye I see a reflection of the piss tape!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Looks like Donald maintained a cool and confident demeanor while Merkel went into a typical German pout over not getting everything her way. Abe seems unimpressed by Merkel's histrionics and he stands with the grace and confidence reflecting his understanding that America has Japan's back against NK.

But I guess it's open to interpretation

Oh I thought the point was Trump is the only one too fat to stand up :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I reckon if you put some kind of watercolour effect on this and got it printed on canvas you could sell it as a new Jon McNaughton painting. Give it a name like "NO, YOU MOVE".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

This looks like a crappy game of musical chairs.