Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What would be a better cooking time for a 5.22 lb chicken? I don't have a thermometer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I cut some chuck eye into strips; how long should I put them on the grill for them to be cooked medium-well?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What would be a better cooking time for a 5.22 lb chicken? I don't have a thermometer
Buy a thermometer.

In the meantime cook it until it looks done, then poke it between the breast and thigh. The juice should come out clear. If it's still pink, it needs more time. You can also just give it a feel. Cooked chicken should feel firm instead of wobby/rubbery.

Worst case, if you think it's done and it turns out it isn't you can always part it up and finish the parts individually, which makes it easier to judge doneness.

But you really just want a thermometer.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
20 at 450, then 20 at 350 check for clear juices after that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah buy a thermometer, because the time's gonna change if you use a different pan, if you have some veggies in there etc.

In a heavy dutch oven (lid off) with some root vegetables and a 5lb brined chicken it takes me closer to 45m at 425 then another 10-15 at 350.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SubG posted:

Buy a thermometer.

In the meantime cook it until it looks done, then poke it between the breast and thigh. The juice should come out clear. If it's still pink, it needs more time. You can also just give it a feel. Cooked chicken should feel firm instead of wobby/rubbery.

Worst case, if you think it's done and it turns out it isn't you can always part it up and finish the parts individually, which makes it easier to judge doneness.

But you really just want a thermometer.

Can you give me a ballpark so I don't have to open up my oven every ten minutes

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

20 at 450, then 20 at 350 check for clear juices after that.

There's no conceivable way it would be done after taht

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Turtlicious probably means 20'/#, not 20' total. But it'll depend on your roasting pan, how the bird was raised, whether it's been brined or injected, &c.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I bought this thermometer to roast a chicken last year. $5 is a good price for peace of mind.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

DasNeonLicht posted:

I bought this thermometer to roast a chicken last year. $5 is a good price for peace of mind.
Those are okay, but you probably want to check it regularly because they like to go out of calibration.

If you're not really strapped for cash, I'd suggest just waiting for ThermoWorks to have a sale on the ChefAlarm or DOT, which are both remote probe thermometers. The advantage with a probe setup is that you don't have to keep opening your oven to check the temperature. And I recommend ThermoWorks just because they're consistently reliable. The ChefAlarm is usually US$60 and the DOT US$40 but if you're patient they always go on sale, show up in open box events, or whatever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is it true that the 1:15@350 in this recipe isn't long enough to fully cook the average chicken and should be closer to 2:15?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/83557/juicy-roasted-chicken/

thekindone's oven is broken, or they like chicken jerky

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I know just check it every 15 - 20 minutes after that, the first couple times is just to get you started.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A while ago I BBQ's some chicken hearts, and they turned out great.

I decided to try turkey hearts next, on the basis of bigger = better. But trying to saute a few in a pan (with garlic and onions, nothing fancy) they turned out to be fairly stringy and chewy.

The internet turned out be quite short of good turkey heart bbq / marinade recipes, so I turn to the thread.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Roux made with bacon fat instead of butter. Wow!

Ok, so more experienced chefs will give this post a great big "duh!" but hopefully this tip can help a noob like me. I make mac and cheese every other week for my toddler, who's hooked on the stuff. I've added crumbled-up bacon to the mix. But then you only get the bacon flavor when you get a bacon bit on your fork. This time I used bacon fat instead of butter in the roux. The whole dish tastes like smoky bacon and cheddar. I didn't put a single bit of bacon in the dish, yet it tastes far more bacon-y than ever before.

Now I'm off to start making rouxs with any type of fat I can find...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Can you give me a ballpark so I don't have to open up my oven every ten minutes

I'd say at least 50 minutes

Spatchcock it if you want to cook it even faster (remove the backbone and flatten it out in the pan)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Leavemywife posted:

I cut some chuck eye into strips; how long should I put them on the grill for them to be cooked medium-well?

Assuming a HOT charcoal grill, not long. 6-10 minutes depending on how thick the strips are.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Assuming a HOT charcoal grill, not long. 6-10 minutes depending on how thick the strips are.

I've got a propane grill, and I've read online to turn the heat on high. However, there is a lot of different stuff online, so I'm going to come to the forums food people to find out more.

Leave fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 6, 2018

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leavemywife posted:

I've got a propane grill, and I've read online to turn the heat on high. However, there is a lot of different stuff online, so I'm going to come to the forums food people to find out more.

What are the dimensions of your strips?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I've got a pack of radishes left over from crudités last weekend. Any ideas for what to do with them that isn't putting them in a salad or dipping them in stuff? Is there much else you can do with the humble radish?

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 6, 2018

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bollock Monkey posted:

I've got a pack of radishes left over from crudités last weekend. Any ideas for what to do with them that isn't putting them in a salad or dipping them in stuff? Is there much else you can do with the humble radish?

Toss with olive oil and salt, and roast like any other root vegetable. They're delicious.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Put them in your mouth?

I'm mostly not joking.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

baquerd posted:

What are the dimensions of your strips?

Uh...Little less than an inch thick and maybe 1 1/2 long? I don't have a lot of cooking experience, so I'm not sure. I like doing it, so I'm trying to do it right.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leavemywife posted:

Uh...Little less than an inch thick and maybe 1 1/2 long? I don't have a lot of cooking experience, so I'm not sure. I like doing it, so I'm trying to do it right.

So they're pretty small then? You might try a test one for 2-3 minutes a side on a preheated grill. Marinating the beef wouldn't be a terrible idea either since it sounds like you have lots of surface area.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Midniter posted:

Toss with olive oil and salt, and roast like any other root vegetable. They're delicious.

This person knows whats up. I tried roasting radishes a couple weeks ago and they are sweet and delicious, also been throwing a sliced radish into stir fries.

I don't know what you call it, I don't think it's technically pickling (marinating?) but I reuse pickle jars, cut up cucumbers, add vinegar, brine, and spices, and after a few days we eat them. Well I started adding radishes and they are delicious that way too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

Make the Ad Hoc butter braised radish dish. It's dope as gently caress.

Edit: I think it's this guy

https://www.plattertalk.com/butter-braised-radishes-kohlrabi-and/amp/

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 6, 2018

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

Kkakdugi. :kimchi:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

baquerd posted:

So they're pretty small then? You might try a test one for 2-3 minutes a side on a preheated grill. Marinating the beef wouldn't be a terrible idea either since it sounds like you have lots of surface area.

I had it marinated and I just put them on the grill. I'm doing it live, and we're gonna be crazy!

I'll post my results, and hope to hell it all turns out well.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

So, I learned something today.

Six minutes on one side, then four on another on thin strips of steak equals well done steak. However, it was still tasty, juicy, and I could cut it with a table fork.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leavemywife posted:

So, I learned something today.

Six minutes on one side, then four on another on thin strips of steak equals well done steak. However, it was still tasty, juicy, and I could cut it with a table fork.

That's because of the cut of meat and the marinade. Chuck is heat tolerant and the marinade helps retain moisture as well. Do that again with eye of round and you'd likely get boot leather.

The main factor in cooking time, given a constant heat, is the thickness of the meat to the center, followed by overall mass.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

baquerd posted:

That's because of the cut of meat and the marinade. Chuck is heat tolerant and the marinade helps retain moisture as well. Do that again with eye of round and you'd likely get boot leather.

The main factor in cooking time, given a constant heat, is the thickness of the meat to the center, followed by overall mass.

Wait a second, I thought he said he had round steak...

Ok, I just checked and at first he said round steak then he said chuck eye, I'm wondering what exactly it is because those are very different cuts.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Is there any way to stir-fry chuck roast and have it come out tender? Really thin slices against the grain? Velveting?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bollock Monkey posted:

Toast -> butter -> sliced radish -> flake salt. Other herbs, dried or fresh, optional.

Unfortunately, this only uses about 1 medium radish per serving. Fortunately, radishes last a long while in my crisper drawer.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Is there any way to stir-fry chuck roast and have it come out tender? Really thin slices against the grain? Velveting?

Slice as thin as possible across the grain, marinate with a tiny bit of baking soda and soy sauce, stir fry hella hot and fast.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I like Chaliapin steak for tougher cuts of steak, just make sure both of you like onions.

I've been thinking about this video a lot.

poob
Nov 1, 2016
Anyone have any tips about where to acquire bulk nuts for cheap? Seems like my local co-ops, grocery stores, and online all have things like almonds for $9-10 per lb. but I am wondering if they can be had for cheaper somewhere I'm not looking

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
when i cook steak i usually salt it and leave it for a while but i suddenly wondered if the same could be done with msg. has anyone tried it?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

poob posted:

Anyone have any tips about where to acquire bulk nuts for cheap? Seems like my local co-ops, grocery stores, and online all have things like almonds for $9-10 per lb. but I am wondering if they can be had for cheaper somewhere I'm not looking

Costco has nuts for much cheaper than that. Selection is decent – you can get raw and roasted of many kinds – and some are organic if that's what you want. They aren't in bulk bins but they are in bulk amounts.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I've got a potluck coming up and I've got an idea: Colombian steak deviled eggs! I'm going to marinade and sous vide a steak, then put really thin slices into the eggs under the filling. My question is what to do with the filling? I'm already planning on mincing a habanero and mixing that in, but what else should I do to make it fit the theme? Or will the smoked paprika on top be enough spice on its own?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Jose posted:

when i cook steak i usually salt it and leave it for a while but i suddenly wondered if the same could be done with msg. has anyone tried it?

msg and salt are different things. glutamates don't really do anything to the food like salt does, so marinating etc don't work exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI3XRVdNQ30

What is this loving black magic?