Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hopefully Cat Master's cult popularity will make him worth keeping around, like Layla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
there's only enough room for one toddling pursuer, drat it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I think cat master is probably mostly fine - both shots that hit him got his arms, he seems to have noticed he was about to get shot just in time.

Yeah. Looks like he got blown off the ship, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

there's only enough room for one toddling pursuer, drat it

Maybe Xand can ride Hrotomos?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. Looks like he got blown off the ship, though.

Separated from his cat, a fate worse than death.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So, back to the 'demons are not good at this 'rational self-interest' thing...

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

Cat Master minus Cat equals Master though so maybe Oscar just lent him a hand. Hey, the fewer names the better, right?

Pureauthor posted:

So, back to the 'demons are not good at this 'rational self-interest' thing...
They seem amazing at the 'self-interest' part, just lousy at the 'rational' qualifier.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's worth remembering these are, even by devil standards exceptionally bad dudes. I'm sure a lot of devils are way more rational. For instance, I don't think Cio would backstab someone she benefits from having around just for malicious fun or paranoia.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's worth remembering these are, even by devil standards exceptionally bad dudes. I'm sure a lot of devils are way more rational. For instance, I don't think Cio would backstab someone she benefits from having around just for malicious fun or paranoia.

Yabalchoath would.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think the difference is that yabalchoath wouldnt lose track of oscar

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

wiegieman posted:

Yabalchoath would.

I agree, but Yabal was also of equivalent nastiness to a Bad Man. I think Cio is more representative of the general devil population in terms of self-defeating viciousness, but hey she could just be a bizarre saint among her kind.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Whoops doublepost

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

reignonyourparade posted:

That's why he pursues

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Confirmed, Catmaster's Cat is safe aboard the ship.

The jury is still out on everyone else. Except maybe Xand, hard to come back from a case of exploded head. And I don't know whether to call Nxor's hits headshots or body shots.

I'm somewhat conflicted about these developments

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The cat is fine too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Everyone wondered what Oscar's role in this heist was, and now we know.

Wild card, bitches.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fister Roboto posted:

Wild card, bitches.

Wrong!

He's the Bad Man. It's a very important role.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

I agree, but Yabal was also of equivalent nastiness to a Bad Man. I think Cio is more representative of the general devil population in terms of self-defeating viciousness, but hey she could just be a bizarre saint among her kind.

I think Cio is less vicious than the general devil population, if only out of her commitment to not becoming Yabalchoath again. She actually does try to not get too carried away with her greed, which most devils wouldn't.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fister Roboto posted:

Wild card, bitches.

We already know his role was to 'sacrifice' others.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mr. Lobe posted:

Every other devil we've seen, and there've been a few, outright revels in being the rot at the heart of the universe. Whether they all actually achieve that level of badness or wind up stuck in a job as a bartender or seamstress, they basically all aspire to be Aaron from Titus Andronicus. Cio doesn't specifically as consequence of her unique circumstances

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 10, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Every other devil we've seen, and there've been a few, outright revels in being the rot at the heart of the universe. Whether they all actually achieve that level of badness or wind up stuck in a job as a bartender or seamstress, they basically all aspire to be Aaron from Titus Andronicus. Cio doesn't specifically as consequence of her unique circumstances

I think you're overstating it a bit. The Crimson Imp (red devil that shrank back to pseudo-blue) we met early on is clearly just a small-time crook, and most of the Devils at the singing contest and bar were annoyed at Vladok for cheating and didn't try to jump Allison for her stuff at all. I think most Devils are, like, mildly evil but about as lazy as your average selfish human being. Heck, even Vladok, now Princess, wasn't being super immoral, he just felt a sting to his pride when he lost to Allison and didn't want to suffer ignominy for losing like that. Princess seems pretty standard as Devils go, and while Princess is clearly selfish and amoral, she's hardly worse than 'moderately obnoxious' by all appearances.

Oskar's crew are way more motivated and dedicated. They're go-getters.

EDIT: What I mean is, they don't all aspire to great monstrosity, they aspire to being great monsters. Ebon Devils seem to be perfectly capable of being less dangerous and horrifying than Yabalchoath, who was the devil's devil.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Heck, even Vladok, now Princess, wasn't being super immoral, he just felt a sting to his pride when he lost to Allison and didn't want to suffer ignominy for losing like that. Princess seems pretty standard as Devils go, and while Princess is clearly selfish and amoral, she's hardly worse than 'moderately obnoxious' by all appearances.
Princess just suplexed a man to death after breaking into his place of employment, so...

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

Princess just suplexed a man to death after breaking into his place of employment, so...

It's not evil if everyone would do it if they could.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's arguably on Allison. She bound Princess, and its not clear how much freedom Princess had to not follow her into the hell dungeon.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also as far as ways to die that one's pretty fuckin sweet so really Princess was doing them a favor, nobody wants to go out like a chump.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Dude was about to chainsaw Princess' crime buddies to death, which literally none of the other devils present (other than Cio) would lift a finger to prevent at this point in time.
Like, I'm not arguing 'amoral power-hungry jackass Princess' is a good person, just that also none of the Pursuers are devils and they're all amoral power-hungry jackasses by all appearances.

The omniverse is infested with rowdy boys.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If we take what we've heard about devil assholitude as gospel truth, then either Xand or Nxor would've killed off the other ages before they got to the level where they were even considered for this heist. This whole thing happened with a counterexample RIGHT THERE.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The difference between garden variety bartender devils and these ones is ambition. Those devils would dick over a stranger if it was easy, they wouldn't return a wallet without first taking the cash and then they'd still suggest they deserve a reward, but they aren't going to set up an elaborate hustle or stage a mega-heist or likely even open a noodle shop exactly because it's a lot of effort.

This particular crew is into effort. These are devils that are willing to :effort: and know full well that they'll have to kill everyone for it because they have ambition.

Edit: in a greater narrative sense they parallel Allison's own struggles with ambition. They got on just fine when raw ambition was running the show, but now that she's got that under control it's very obviously causing problems. It isn't just her own ambition that causes trouble in the world.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like these folks are examples of devils w ambition but no wisdom

although im not sure what kind of ambitions cat master and 1-11 harbour

e: 1-11 lost an arm at some point before death lmao

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 10, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think you're overstating it a bit. The Crimson Imp (red devil that shrank back to pseudo-blue) we met early on is clearly just a small-time crook, and most of the Devils at the singing contest and bar were annoyed at Vladok for cheating and didn't try to jump Allison for her stuff at all. I think most Devils are, like, mildly evil but about as lazy as your average selfish human being. Heck, even Vladok, now Princess, wasn't being super immoral, he just felt a sting to his pride when he lost to Allison and didn't want to suffer ignominy for losing like that. Princess seems pretty standard as Devils go, and while Princess is clearly selfish and amoral, she's hardly worse than 'moderately obnoxious' by all appearances.

Oskar's crew are way more motivated and dedicated. They're go-getters.

EDIT: What I mean is, they don't all aspire to great monstrosity, they aspire to being great monsters. Ebon Devils seem to be perfectly capable of being less dangerous and horrifying than Yabalchoath, who was the devil's devil.

Vladok turned into a Thing monster to kill Allison and everyone else in the room after his plan to swindle her and rip a magic key out of her skull failed, because playing tour guide for an hour was beneath him. I don't know what profound moral distinction you're trying to draw between that kind of thing and robbing an acquaintance for a bag of gold but I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually exist

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 10, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I just mean I think most devils are pretty much within human tolerances for 'kind of a dick' with understandable motivations, rather than being specifically formed evil vice monsters whose motivations are 'be evil' before anything else including 'survive' like this crew.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

*goes to a bar where everyone starts singing a song about how they're going to disembowel me* good people, the salt of the earth

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
insatiable hunger combined w being created to be slaves makes for a really weird culture

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i agree w the take that the typical devil is about on the same level morally as your average fuckup petty criminal irl

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hoping Princess gets to keep her roided out bod.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

*goes to a bar where everyone starts singing a song about how they're going to disembowel me* good people, the salt of the earth

I mean, they could've just disemboweled you so...

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
This whole plan continues to have been a good idea.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
I like that "BAD MAN" captain's hat he has. That's a demon who's committed to his brand.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
wow oscar an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

darthbob88 posted:

I like that "BAD MAN" captain's hat he has. That's a demon who's committed to his brand.

Seriously, was he just holding onto that in case

Is his expensive coat full of magical pockets that have different Bad Man accessories for whatever theme he needs

Also I'm loving his Evil Jotaro Kujo posing at the end there