Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

G0RF posted:

https://twitter.com/SidAlpha/status/1004831129440903168

Um, Montoya, this would be a great opportunity to do one of your just-in-time videos explaining the final resolution to this sad chapter... Good opportunity to clear up misconceptions about who might’ve been to blame and where they might’ve come from...

Or you could just be a dirtbag. I’m sure you’ll make the right choice...

This is reference to one of the citizens on twitter, not the original guy who emailed the threat. Unless they're the same person.

Catte citizen has moved to America with my fiance until I move out there. He likes it more than England.

Twyst fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

A bad week for Star Citizen on the Youtubes

drat :arghfist:

Maybe the month view is better?

:doh: :bang:

Hey you dumbshit, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

• They already told us they couldn't do it
  • I didn't even want it anyway
  • It's not important for the performance increase
  • It wasn't even supposed to be done now anyway

There's some major excuses missing but drat if he didn't try to hit the whole bingo card.

e: Biscuit taxxe

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

You know, i used to wonder whether Montoya either fully understands what is going on with SC but knows he needs to keep maintaing the illusion that all is well for other backers, or whether he truly believes what he spouts.

But at this point i don't really care. The guy just can't bring himself to acknowlegde that like in any large community you will always get the nutjobs.

For shame!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I can't wait to spend 150 dollars to be privileged enough to fire a mining laser at a rock in the alpha version of a game which should actually exist so as much people as possible can playtest firing a mining laser at a rock.

If you think CIG can't sink any lower in milking their community, Chris just goes "hold my beer"...

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

tuo posted:

I can't wait to spend 150 dollars to be privileged enough to fire a mining laser at a rock in the alpha version of a game which should actually exist so as much people as possible can playtest firing a mining laser at a rock.

If you think CIG can't sink any lower in milking their community, Chris just goes "hold my beer"...

Think of the envy on your friends faces when you tell them you are a Tier Zero tester.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

tuo posted:

Space '49ers better make sure to buy some spare lasers for when the one they're using goes blunt.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

im gay

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Mining has always been something i've been interested in in games. It's my one thing I absolutely like to do and I just want to say Star Citizen mining looks stupid and tedious.

I get that Chris Roberts pitched the world's most impossible game where your spaceman is supposed to be able to pick up and manipulate individual rocks but it seems like they are actually trying to compromise on all of that natural complication involved in making something immersive and realistic and are instead just making something exactly the same way everyone else does it, just more complicated.

In EVE, In Freelancer, In WoW, In Skyrim, In Star Trek Online, In Warframe, In Albion, In most games you find resources, active your tool and wait.

Warframe has a slightly interesting take on the concept by making you trace patterns, a better trace means better quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccjWboFlcJs

Star Trek Online makes you match patterns before activating your laser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mr9PgUOYbU

I've spent countless hours shooting scrap and rocks in Everspace and Freelancer. I've hunted the poo poo out of minerals in Minecraft and Terraria. I've read novels while my ship fires mining beams in EVE Online. But seriously this star citizen mining looks so bad and dumb I can't see anyone actually wanting to ever do it. I'm the sperg that can't get enough loving mining and I already find Star Trek Online's pointless extra step annoying but now there are 4 separate interlocking golf swing mechanics between me and Hit Button > Get Ore?

This is the same poo poo as elaborate and over detailed motion capture ship boarding and takeoff procedures. People don't loving want to do this poo poo a trillion times. They want to get in their ship and fly out to the space rocks and get a space rock so they can go to a place. Not spend a half hour getting out of bed and filling out checklists so you can go spin 4 plates simultaneously to maybe get a space rock.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Mining has always been something i've been interested in in games. It's my one thing I absolutely like to do and I just want to say Star Citizen mining looks stupid and tedious.

I get that Chris Roberts pitched the world's most impossible game where your spaceman is supposed to be able to pick up and manipulate individual rocks but it seems like they are actually trying to compromise on all of that natural complication involved in making something immersive and realistic and are instead just making something exactly the same way everyone else does it, just more complicated.

In EVE, In Freelancer, In WoW, In Skyrim, In Star Trek Online, In Warframe, In Albion, In most games you find resources, active your tool and wait.

Warframe has a slightly interesting take on the concept by making you trace patterns, a better trace means better quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccjWboFlcJs

Star Trek Online makes you match patterns before activating your laser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mr9PgUOYbU

I've spent countless hours shooting scrap and rocks in Everspace and Freelancer. I've hunted the poo poo out of minerals in Minecraft and Terraria. I've read novels while my ship fires mining beams in EVE Online. But seriously this star citizen mining looks so bad and dumb I can't see anyone actually wanting to ever do it. I'm the sperg that can't get enough loving mining and I already find Star Trek Online's pointless extra step annoying but now there are 4 separate interlocking golf swing mechanics between me and Hit Button > Get Ore?

This is the same poo poo as elaborate and over detailed motion capture ship boarding and takeoff procedures. People don't loving want to do this poo poo a trillion times. They want to get in their ship and fly out to the space rocks and get a space rock so they can go to a place. Not spend a half hour getting out of bed and filling out checklists so you can go spin 4 plates simultaneously to maybe get a space rock.

Way, waaaay back in this thread, I made a prediction on the original mining previews that "No matter what they say, no matter what they demo, it will come out and be just firing a laser at a rock."

This is the reality of CIG. Chris comes out and waves his hands and blathers some bullshit, and then his devs waste years and millions of dollars trying to make his "Vision" a reality. Ultimately they fail, and are forced to roll out the bog standard technologies- for FPS, for flight mechanics, for cargo, for AI, for mining. If you told Chris to reproduce Everquest in 2018, he would go out and sell everyone on a virtual reality full scale Game Of Thrones MMORPG, spend a billion dollars, and deliver World Of Warcraft 1.0 (remember how just trying to loot in beta WoW would lock your character for 15 minutes?)

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

Way, waaaay back in this thread, I made a prediction on the original mining previews that "No matter what they say, no matter what they demo, it will come out and be just firing a laser at a rock."

This is the reality of CIG. Chris comes out and waves his hands and blathers some bullshit, and then his devs waste years and millions of dollars trying to make his "Vision" a reality. Ultimately they fail, and are forced to roll out the bog standard technologies- for FPS, for flight mechanics, for cargo, for AI, for mining. If you told Chris to reproduce Everquest in 2018, he would go out and sell everyone on a virtual reality full scale Game Of Thrones MMORPG, spend a billion dollars, and deliver World Of Warcraft 1.0 (remember how just trying to loot in beta WoW would lock your character for 15 minutes?)

They pitched that you would be the guy on the Cantebury processing ice chunks, but you are really just playing EVE Online and can't go AFK, the worst possible form of mining.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Fixing a stuck post

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

If you're really highly skilled, you'll be able to make more money at mining than other people. It's a deeply immersive procedure, and the very best players will reap the rewards.

*holds button until graph reaches almost 100%, waits a moment, then holds button again*

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

You need a super high IQ to really comprehend the complexities of mining.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Feels to me like Star Citizen is never coming out

just my 2cents

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Wow, my mining is really profitable in this economy. What economy? Who knows?

Let's mine more shale, on asteroids, where shale could never form.

Prospector mining leak is literally mining shale from an asteroid:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ldvcq

Edit: Correction, it's mining from a moon surface, but still equally as stupid.

XK fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 9, 2018

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Does the mined ore come out box shaped?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

XK posted:

No asteroid mining in 3.2 :smug:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

Behold! For a remarkable new marketing strategy of releasing the excuses in advance of the patch has raised its weary head from 'neath the festering trenches of poo poo, to flash its message toward those with the fortitude to gaze upon it.

Reverse the Verse 8 June 2018
'Sids Ships of Alpha"

@34:55
John Crewe
Ah, we did the... HUNDRED concept, which... HELPS... figure out some of the smaller details, uh, and... now we've got those two there, we can do those two THERE

Lando:
And if you're curious about the order of OPERATIONS on that, which ship is coming after the 600i and stuff, I invite you to check out SHIP SHAPE, where we, ah... DELINEATED the plan for that, the teams working on the 600i now and where they're gonna go afterwards.

Aah... the Avenger REWORK, since it's getting BIGGER, does that mean it's less AGILE in a dogfight?

John Crewe:
Ah... fractionally... less... agile, it's still... pretty... pretty good... I mean it was, in LORE, the old UE Interceptor so... it's still got that... CHARACTERISTIC

Lando:
Why was the Mustang and its variants chosen to be pushed into 3.3 instead of say the Aegis Avenger and its variants?

John Crewe:
Ah, the, essentially the Mustangs weren't READY ENOUGH, they needed a bit more extra TIME, and as soon as you miss that week we have a feature lock date which is, ah... six, seven weeks before the release date, if stuff is not ready by that date then it, um... then it moves to the next one. It just wasn't ready in time for that date, so... we moved it.

Lando:
Yes, some features have a lock date of six or seven weeks, some features uh... some features have a lock date... uh... SOONER... we're gonna talk about that later in the SHOW. We're gonna talk about it later, it's this shifting to, ah... the other lock date earlier and stuff like that... aahh... other teams they will... they will... PUSH things right to the ah... LEVEL and... we... we'll talk about ah... ah... all that stuff later on in the SHOW.

Ummm.... let's see... the...

YEAH... the... Avenger... PLUS! Yes, the Avenger... the Avenger REWORK had a... the... the BENEFIT of being utilised in SQUADRON 42 so it got kind of a head start... originally started by the Squadron 42 team wasn't it?

John Crewe:
Yes and it started a lot sooner than the Mustang... I think the Mustang... I don't know when they officially started so I'm not gonna SPECULATE.

@31:33
Lando:
Any plans to make the Avenger Stalker CELLS be removable for cargo runs?

John Crewe:
This ah... this goes back to the whole MODULES VARIANTS thing we discussed on... one of THESE a while ago, it's... we're still not sure... which way we wanna go with those Avengers, ehm... There's a lot of PROMISES for both sides so, you know, we're gonna have to DECIDE one way or the other and when we do we'll communicate that. It will either be they're fixed variants, you can't take them out, and if you've got one of them, that's the one you've got, you'd need to GET a different ship essentially to get the other ones, or we go down the fully modular one... the modular ROUTE where you have an AVENGER, everyone that GOT... or the four individual... three individual ones... ahm... now you'll just have the one SHIP with modular pieces, ehm...

At the moment it's gonna stay as variants and you can't remove them... aahh... that's not the... final answer.

Lando:
You... you ah... you... you hit all the points... ah... if... if... if... wuh... if... if you want... if you want the SHORT NICKEL version of the history for those of you who weren't around, ah... there was the AVENGER... when we introduced the... the... the... the... the... the... IMPEEUM... the... the EMP MODULE, ah, we originally intended to produce them as MODULES, ah, but the MODULES that the player facing MODULAR SYSTEM wasn't online then, it's NOT ONLINE NOW, we wanted to get EMP GAMEPLAY into the game so we started TESTING, so we IMPLEMENTED the Avenger as variants as opposed to their original INTENTION ah... as MODULES... ah... they've been variants for a number of YEARS, ah, everybody's sort of USED to them being variants right now, ah... ah... UNTIL such time as the PLAYER FACING MODULARITY SYSTEM is... ready to GO

And... and... those DECISIONS have to be made, we will continue to look at our OPTIONS, we will continue to read your FEEDBACK, and ah... we'll let you know when we have that decision.

@55:20
Lando:
Inversely, when something like the Mustang rework DEFERS out of 3.2 and into 3.3, that's something we think is worth DISCUSSING as well, now this kind of DISCUSSION has been a HALLMARK of Star Citizen's development since work on the original HANGAR MODULE began. And it's continued through broadcasts like AROUND THE VERSE and CALLING ALL DEVS, posts like our MONTHLY STUDIO REPORT or... LETTERS FROM THE CHAIRMAN...

And uh... hey, my THING just broke, see? Haha! That's why we got it printed out... where was I...

And even events like our upcoming CITIZENCON, ah, which TICKETS of which are gonna go BACK ON SALE, uh... later this YEAR, that's a shame... that's a shameless plug.

Now ATV is normally where you find the project updates every single week, but unfortunately we missed the CUTOFF for our updates this week, so since we have this platform here on FRIDAY, we figured we'd take the time to update you on a couple changes you can see up on the ROADMAP that are coming when it updates, you know... LATER THIS YEAR. Sorry, later TODAY.

That's what happens when the THING disappears.

For our first and only RTV ROADMAP UPDATE I'm gonna be joined by lead community manager Tyler Witkin since he's actually here in my studio today to discuss some of the changes that you're gonna see on the roadmap later today when it goes live.

@57:30
Tyler Witkin:
First off, right off the bat, MINING is absolutely still in 3.2, don't panic!

Lando:
(reading from his script)
Mining is still in 3.2, this is going to be the initial TIER ZERO implementation, it's going to be the VERY EARLIEST STEPS of its development. Now, in a TIER ZERO implementation, not all of the features are going to be available. We wanna tell you that for the TIER ZERO implementation, even though I've been saying TIER ZERO implementation quite a lot, that it's coming in ALPHA THREE POINT TWO, it's going to... mining is going to be EXCLUSIVE to the MISC PROSPECTOR and down on the surface of Crusader's MOONS.

Now for SOME that's gonna seem... you know... kinda OBVIOUS, it is the only mining ship that's available in the game right now... but for OTHERS it might be a little... a little DISAPPOINTING because you know, we just showed these ASTEROIDS that you could TARGET and MINE on ATV...

We wanna tell ya, we still INTEND to have asteroid mining, it's not going anywhere, it just ah... given the time we have to implement it and where the system is right now, it's NOT GOING TO MAKE THE CUTOFF for ALPHA THREE POINT TWO. Again, it's ALPHATHREEPOINTTWO with TIERZERO of mining, it'll be with the Misc Prospector ONLY and restricted to down on the surface of Crusader's moons.

But... again... the feature teams... the feature teams will work on this so after THREEPOINTTWO publishes the FEATURE TEAMS will be adding additional functionalities like asteroid targeting and the ability to use other ships besides the Prospector in SUBSEQUENT RELEASES.

We're VERY EXCITED to bring the FIRST ITERATION of this INDUSTRIAL GAMEPLAY to Star Citizen with ALPHATHREEPOINTTWO and you can BET that we're gonna be out there in the persistent universe SCOURING Crusader's moons for MINERALS right alongside many of you.

@59:39
Tyler Witkin:
(Combat AI)
This was even a feature we pulled after the publish of ALPHATHREEPOINTONE, and it was super obvious to us that we weren't the only ones anxious for this EXCITING FEATURE.

Lando:
Now that said, we made some VERY EXCITING PROGRESS on this feature over the development of ALPHATHREEPOINTTWO .... it's NOT QUITE WHERE WE WANT IT TO BE for a proper TIER ZERO implementation. And we've been testing it internally for some time, you know, as we do with all of our game systems as they're being developed, and as we approached the CUTOFF for this new feature in this quarter's PATCH, combat didn't feel as ENGAGING, BALANCED or POLISHED as we like it to be, for a good solid introductory experience.

And considering where we are in our second quarter release timetable, we just didn't feel there'd be enough time to continue TWEAKING IT during the bugfixing phase that would also be necessary to make the end of June CUTOFF.

This is an example of the type of decisions that have to be made to adhere to a timely quarterly release schedule.

So it'll be DEFERRED to ALPHATHREEPOINTTHREE on the roadmap later today.

Tyler Witkin:
And these choices aren't, you know, obviously the easiest to make, ah... but it's important that we deliver a compelling gameplay experiences with each new feature, even with the early TIER ZERO releases. So that's... I mean, that's what they deserve.

@01:01:10
Tyler Witkin:
(Bind culling)
In case someone doesn't know, why don't you give a description of what Bind Culling is?

Lando:
Well, I had the description on the teleprompter and...
(insert Bind Culling delay excuse here)

Tyler Witkin:
If only we had the time and the resources to do absolutely everything at once.

I feel bad, because you put a lot of effort into this transcript, and it's gotten nearly zero comments.

It's just so bad. What can be said about it? It's just horrendous content.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay I thought I knew what bind culling and object streaming and all that referred to but I've seen people interpret it different ways and something was bothering me so I went and looked up more or less wtf CIG is even talking about...

...these are basically all just networking optimizations... even if they complete them they won't change the frame rate. At all. It'll make the game more responsive if there's network lag, but it will absolutely not modify frame rates.

So even IF they deliver it in some patch not now because they suck, it still won't fix the problem of the game running 15fps.
They made a bunch of ridiculously high resolution assets in an existing off-the-shelf engine without any idea what they were aiming for and made something that simply doesn't run on modern hardware.
I guess if they delay the game until 2028 maybe then we'll have machines so fast that it'll render at 60 fps, and that's why they're not concerned about performance :haw:

Neither bind culling nor object container streaming refer to render culling. They're networking, they improve server performance.
And if the game is running at 15fps not because of graphics but because its waiting on network packets, then CIG have done something truly unholy.

That isn't correct. While it's true that those are networking optimizations, bind culling removes the existence of entities that are far away from the player. Render culling does not display them, but the game still has to update (/simumalte) them, check its properties etc..

For example, right now, without bind culling, if a ship is a million Km away from you, it won't get rendered ( good ), but it'll still simulate the IFCS and physics on it.

So there is framerate to be gained with bind culling, as the reduction of network entities to simulate will boost fps a bit. How much, nobody can tell yet. Could be from +10% to doubling the framerate (unlikely).

OCS is supposed to address the "framerate spikes". You know, when you wake up in your pod and for many minutes you can barely move ? But during fractions of a second you can see your framerate go to 40-50 fps ? The renderer actually is able to sustain a half-decent framerate, but is getting hammered with streaming requests; and CIG hasn't implemented asynchronous streaming yet. So streaming data, textures, 3D models etc.. causes a temporary freeze.

In theory they're not lying: bind culling will increase your average framerate and async streaming will address the stuttering/freezes. If they can get those 2 things right, there's hope to have a decent framerate in SC. But of course, none of that is going to fix the design issues.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Daztek posted:

No asteroid mining in 3.2 :smug:

Actually, you're right. It's moon mining. It's hard to tell from the dark video. Shale would also never exist on a moon without sedimentary processes. And you mine shale by lopping off sheets of it.

And

Why the gently caress did they choose shale for one of their first mining resources? Really? Shale? Glad I have a mining space ship so I can get loving shale.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

XK posted:

I think I've read here that they intend to make ships purchase-able in-game by end of year.

Lol, as if they'd actually do that, though.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

I think I've read here that they intend to make ships purchase-able in-game by end of year.

Lol, as if they'd actually do that, though.

I heard the same thing last year! :v:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Hello spacemen. Would you like to buy my shale? You can roof your spaceships with it. Very versatile material.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

XK posted:

I feel bad, because you put a lot of effort into this transcript, and it's gotten nearly zero comments.

It's just so bad. What can be said about it? It's just horrendous content.
i take it you mean the content of quotes. The transcript itself is great.

lando posted:

Yes, some features have a lock date of six or seven weeks, some features uh... some features have a lock date... uh... SOONER... we're gonna talk about that later in the SHOW. We're gonna talk about it later, it's this shifting to, ah... the other lock date earlier and stuff like that... aahh... other teams they will... they will... PUSH things right to the ah... LEVEL and... we... we'll talk about ah... ah... all that stuff later on in the SHOW.

john crewe posted:

This ah... this goes back to the whole MODULES VARIANTS thing we discussed on... one of THESE a while ago, it's... we're still not sure... which way we wanna go with those Avengers, ehm... There's a lot of PROMISES for both sides so, you know, we're gonna have to DECIDE one way or the other and when we do we'll communicate that. It will either be they're fixed variants, you can't take them out, and if you've got one of them, that's the one you've got, you'd need to GET a different ship essentially to get the other ones, or we go down the fully modular one... the modular ROUTE where you have an AVENGER, everyone that GOT... or the four individual... three individual ones... ahm... now you'll just have the one SHIP with modular pieces, ehm...

At the moment it's gonna stay as variants and you can't remove them... aahh... that's not the... final answer.
This is pretty valid question. either way they go they will end up breaking promises.

lando posted:

You... you ah... you... you hit all the points... ah... if... if... if... wuh... if... if you want... if you want the SHORT NICKEL version of the history for those of you who weren't around, ah... there was the AVENGER... when we introduced the... the... the... the... the... the... IMPEEUM... the... the EMP MODULE, ah, we originally intended to produce them as MODULES, ah, but the MODULES that the player facing MODULAR SYSTEM wasn't online then, it's NOT ONLINE NOW, we wanted to get EMP GAMEPLAY into the game so we started TESTING, so we IMPLEMENTED the Avenger as variants as opposed to their original INTENTION ah... as MODULES... ah... they've been variants for a number of YEARS, ah, everybody's sort of USED to them being variants right now, ah... ah... UNTIL such time as the PLAYER FACING MODULARITY SYSTEM is... ready to GO

And... and... those DECISIONS have to be made, we will continue to look at our OPTIONS, we will continue to read your FEEDBACK, and ah... we'll let you know when we have that decision.

Tyler Witkin posted:

So how much more is that exactly if 180 million dollars and 6 years isn't enough.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 9, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

"This new mining mechanic, what material should we put in for mining?"

"Hmm, how about shale."

What the gently caress is even going on?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Dark Off posted:

i take it you mean the contend of quotes. The transcript itself is great.

Yes, SomethingJones' efforts are always appreciated. I don't know how he does it. The content is just total poo poo.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Why the gently caress did they choose shale for one of their first mining resources? Really? Shale? Glad I have a mining space ship so I can get loving shale.

It rhymes with "shill".

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, SomethingJones, for your transcript work. It's appreciated :)

trucutru posted:

Look, they want to have an unsharded MMO world with both ship and fps action where *hundreds of thousands* (I am not joking, Erin said hundreds of thousands) people can duke it out in a single battle. In order to do this, they plan to distribute the load across multiple amazon cloud servers located in different continents. Each server will handle a dynamically changing subsection of the world and transparently share all info with the other servers (including the ones on a different continent) in order to do load balancing and interest management so that players can enjoy sub 50 ms lag anywhere on the world.

This has never been done before and that's why Roberts will revolutionize the field of physics!

Both the server and the client do the physics calculations, every single one. You think a network message in SC is something like "Ship A is moving west at 120 km/h"? No, it's a list all the components that make the ship and then the forces acting over them so that each client can calculate the speed and direction of every single piece of ship to arrive to the conclusion that yup, it's moving west at 120 km/h.

Their servers are just barely modified clients and they do basically poo poo-all (as you can see by the fact that you can fly around in offline mode). I guess you could then consider the whole system peer-to-peer.

That's why they initially hired Ben, they were trying to use massive objects to warp the fabric of space and create zero latency wormholes between datacenters. Sadly, it didn't quite work out. I guess wormhole development is hard :shrug:

Twyst posted:

Catte citizen has moved to America with my fiance until I move out there. He likes it more than England.

That looks like an excellent catte

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

XK posted:

Actually, you're right. It's moon mining. It's hard to tell from the dark video. Shale would also never exist on a moon without sedimentary processes. And you mine shale by lopping off sheets of it.

And

I guess because shale is a low value commodity that can be mined using the standard mining laser and standard mining ship.

Now, if i can redirect sir's attention to this, our new all improved mining ship, the Ultimate Miner, which of course comes fitted as standard with a size 2 mining laser which allows you to dig deeper into rocks to uncover more profitable materials such as Tin and Iron.

For you sir, a mere $500 will provide you access.

But no, sir is not so cheap surely? What he will be wanting with the Ulitmate Miner is the Ultimate Mining Lazor! The UML is capable of boring to great depths (really really boring) and uncovering the rarest of minerals, gems, and metals.

How much you ask? Surely sir is a gentleman of refinement and does not ask such coarse questions!

Let me check your account. Ah! We see you have already spent over $1000 with us, so we can reveal that the UML can be sold to you for the princely sum of $2000. We will naturally throw in installation for free.

Can i say suits you sir? Yes, suits you sir indeed!

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Is there another SA SC podcast besides the ARGcast?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

GoingPostal posted:

Is there another SA SC podcast besides the ARGcast?

are you some sort of content locust?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Twyst posted:

This is reference to one of the citizens on twitter, not the original guy who emailed the threat. Unless they're the same person.
Thank goodness. That means there’s still a chance that minions of a “never was” jealous wannabe developer are to behind this.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

his nibs posted:

are you some sort of content locust?

No? I was just curious if Pocket Casts was missing episodes or something. VC was talking about other podcast episodes and I was wondering if there was a side podcast I missed.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

Behold! For a remarkable new marketing strategy of releasing the excuses in advance of the patch has raised its weary head from 'neath the festering trenches of poo poo, to flash its message toward those with the fortitude to gaze upon it.

Reverse the Verse 8 June 2018
'Sids Ships of Alpha"

@34:55
John Crewe
Ah, we did the... HUNDRED concept, which... HELPS... figure out some of the smaller details, uh, and... now we've got those two there, we can do those two THERE

Lando:
And if you're curious about the order of OPERATIONS on that, which ship is coming after the 600i and stuff, I invite you to check out SHIP SHAPE, where we, ah... DELINEATED the plan for that, the teams working on the 600i now and where they're gonna go afterwards.

Aah... the Avenger REWORK, since it's getting BIGGER, does that mean it's less AGILE in a dogfight?

John Crewe:
Ah... fractionally... less... agile, it's still... pretty... pretty good... I mean it was, in LORE, the old UE Interceptor so... it's still got that... CHARACTERISTIC

Lando:
Why was the Mustang and its variants chosen to be pushed into 3.3 instead of say the Aegis Avenger and its variants?

John Crewe:
Ah, the, essentially the Mustangs weren't READY ENOUGH, they needed a bit more extra TIME, and as soon as you miss that week we have a feature lock date which is, ah... six, seven weeks before the release date, if stuff is not ready by that date then it, um... then it moves to the next one. It just wasn't ready in time for that date, so... we moved it.

Lando:

Ummm.... let's see... the...

YEAH... the... Avenger... PLUS! Yes, the Avenger... the Avenger REWORK had a... the... the BENEFIT of being utilised in SQUADRON 42 so it got kind of a head start... originally started by the Squadron 42 team wasn't it?

John Crewe:
Yes and it started a lot sooner than the Mustang... I think the Mustang... I don't know when they officially started so I'm not gonna SPECULATE.

@31:33
Lando:
Any plans to make the Avenger Stalker CELLS be removable for cargo runs?

John Crewe:

Lando:

@55:20
Lando:
Inversely, when something like the Mustang rework DEFERS out of 3.2 and into 3.3, that's something we think is worth DISCUSSING as well, now this kind of DISCUSSION has been a HALLMARK of Star Citizen's development since work on the original HANGAR MODULE began. And it's continued through broadcasts like AROUND THE VERSE and CALLING ALL DEVS, posts like our MONTHLY STUDIO REPORT or... LETTERS FROM THE CHAIRMAN...

And uh... hey, my THING just broke, see? Haha! That's why we got it printed out... where was I...

And even events like our upcoming CITIZENCON, ah, which TICKETS of which are gonna go BACK ON SALE, uh... later this YEAR, that's a shame... that's a shameless plug.

Now ATV is normally where you find the project updates every single week, but unfortunately we missed the CUTOFF for our updates this week, so since we have this platform here on FRIDAY, we figured we'd take the time to update you on a couple changes you can see up on the ROADMAP that are coming when it updates, you know... LATER THIS YEAR. Sorry, later TODAY.

That's what happens when the THING disappears.

For our first and only RTV ROADMAP UPDATE I'm gonna be joined by lead community manager Tyler Witkin since he's actually here in my studio today to discuss some of the changes that you're gonna see on the roadmap later today when it goes live.

@57:30
Tyler Witkin:
First off, right off the bat, MINING is absolutely still in 3.2, don't panic!

Lando:
(reading from his script)
Mining is still in 3.2, this is going to be the initial TIER ZERO implementation, it's going to be the VERY EARLIEST STEPS of its development. Now, in a TIER ZERO implementation, not all of the features are going to be available. We wanna tell you that for the TIER ZERO implementation, even though I've been saying TIER ZERO implementation quite a lot, that it's coming in ALPHA THREE POINT TWO, it's going to... mining is going to be EXCLUSIVE to the MISC PROSPECTOR and down on the surface of Crusader's MOONS.

Now for SOME that's gonna seem... you know... kinda OBVIOUS, it is the only mining ship that's available in the game right now... but for OTHERS it might be a little... a little DISAPPOINTING because you know, we just showed these ASTEROIDS that you could TARGET and MINE on ATV...

We wanna tell ya, we still INTEND to have asteroid mining, it's not going anywhere, it just ah... given the time we have to implement it and where the system is right now, it's NOT GOING TO MAKE THE CUTOFF for ALPHA THREE POINT TWO. Again, it's ALPHATHREEPOINTTWO with TIERZERO of mining, it'll be with the Misc Prospector ONLY and restricted to down on the surface of Crusader's moons.

But... again... the feature teams... the feature teams will work on this so after THREEPOINTTWO publishes the FEATURE TEAMS will be adding additional functionalities like asteroid targeting and the ability to use other ships besides the Prospector in SUBSEQUENT RELEASES.

We're VERY EXCITED to bring the FIRST ITERATION of this INDUSTRIAL GAMEPLAY to Star Citizen with ALPHATHREEPOINTTWO and you can BET that we're gonna be out there in the persistent universe SCOURING Crusader's moons for MINERALS right alongside many of you.

@59:39
Tyler Witkin:
(Combat AI)
This was even a feature we pulled after the publish of ALPHATHREEPOINTONE, and it was super obvious to us that we weren't the only ones anxious for this EXCITING FEATURE.

Lando:
Now that said, we made some VERY EXCITING PROGRESS on this feature over the development of ALPHATHREEPOINTTWO .... it's NOT QUITE WHERE WE WANT IT TO BE for a proper TIER ZERO implementation. And we've been testing it internally for some time, you know, as we do with all of our game systems as they're being developed, and as we approached the CUTOFF for this new feature in this quarter's PATCH, combat didn't feel as ENGAGING, BALANCED or POLISHED as we like it to be, for a good solid introductory experience.

And considering where we are in our second quarter release timetable, we just didn't feel there'd be enough time to continue TWEAKING IT during the bugfixing phase that would also be necessary to make the end of June CUTOFF.

This is an example of the type of decisions that have to be made to adhere to a timely quarterly release schedule.

So it'll be DEFERRED to ALPHATHREEPOINTTHREE on the roadmap later today.

Tyler Witkin:
And these choices aren't, you know, obviously the easiest to make, ah... but it's important that we deliver a compelling gameplay experiences with each new feature, even with the early TIER ZERO releases. So that's... I mean, that's what they deserve.

@01:01:10
Tyler Witkin:
(Bind culling)
In case someone doesn't know, why don't you give a description of what Bind Culling is?

Lando:
Well, I had the description on the teleprompter and...
(insert Bind Culling delay excuse here)

Tyler Witkin:

John Crewe seems to be past giving a poo poo

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
E3 is finally upon us!

Can you feel the magic in the air people? It’s a season of traditions and technological miracles — they’re already beginning.

CIG stumbled into 3.2 while losing much of what made it seem like a big step forward!

We’re getting days worth of game updates and surprises from studios that actually make games!

Derek just had a dust-up with Captain Kirk about Twitter app functionality or something! (Classic!)

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1005417817666129920
https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1005418139545268224
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1005421780608135169
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1005428795535478786
I don’t even know what they’re fighting about. But it’s great!

:pgabz::eonwe::sandance::pgabz::eonwe::sandance::pgabz::eonwe::sandance::pgabz::eonwe::sandance:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 9, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

G0RF posted:

E3 is finally upon us!

Can you feel the magic in the air people? It’s a season of traditions and technological miracles — they’re already beginning.

CIG stumbled into 3.2 while losing much of what made it seem like a big step forward!

We’re getting days worth of game updates and surprises from studios that actually make games!

Derek just had a dust-up with Captain Kirk about Twitter app functionality or something! (Classic!)

:pgabz::eonwe::sandance::pgabz::eonwe::sandance::pgabz::eonwe::sandance::pgabz::eonwe::sandance:

:lol:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

G0RF posted:

E3 is finally upon us!

:lol:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
There's something poetic about William Shatner scolding both, Derek Smart AND Ben Lesnick's brother too. It's like poetry, it rhymes...it rhymes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Star Citizen is rock science, right?