Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok sperglords I'll be clearer.

I know what a supercub is, its just that the one in the picture has alloy wheels and a disc brake which I have never seen before, because all the others I've seen in my entire life have had cable operated drums and spoke wheels. In my neck of the woods, the latest version is called an NBC110 to differentiate it from the older, carby CT110. Both are super cubs.

I'll admit to never having GIS'd 'honda super cub' because I thought seeing dozens IRL would be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Ok sperglords I'll be clearer.

I know what a supercub is, its just that the one in the picture has alloy wheels and a disc brake which I have never seen before, because all the others I've seen in my entire life have had cable operated drums and spoke wheels. In my neck of the woods, the latest version is called an NBC110 to differentiate it from the older, carby CT110. Both are super cubs.

I'll admit to never having GIS'd 'honda super cub' because I thought seeing dozens IRL would be enough.

On second glance it's pretty much not a "real" Super Cub because it doesn't have the freaky leading link front end (USD forks? Really Honda?) but it does retain the heel-toe shifter (and presumably the auto clutch) and fully-enclosed chain from the original.

Fun fact - the auto clutch was so that noodle delivery boys - the original target consumer - could hold a box of noodles in their left hand. Designing an entirely new transmission instead of just putting a box on the back might be the most Honda thing ever.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On second glance it's pretty much not a "real" Super Cub because it doesn't have the freaky leading link front end (USD forks? Really Honda?) but it does retain the heel-toe shifter (and presumably the auto clutch) and fully-enclosed chain from the original.

Fun fact - the auto clutch was so that noodle delivery boys - the original target consumer - could hold a box of noodles in their left hand. Designing an entirely new transmission instead of just putting a box on the back might be the most Honda thing ever.

To be fair they haven't really designed a whole gearbox to solve that issue, they've put a centrifugal clutch on an existing box. Similar to how RC car clutches work.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Well, combining a centrifugal clutch with the autoclutch was a smart move either way because you could stay in gear while standing still. Ideal for delivery such as postmen.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fanelien posted:

To be fair they haven't really designed a whole gearbox to solve that issue, they've put a centrifugal clutch on an existing box. Similar to how RC car clutches work.

versus

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I don't know what reasonable and logical entity would want lovely prastic topbox over Automatic Homo Sapiens Suspension System Enabling System (AHSSSES). Human beings are good at holding noodle boxes and bad at predicting what the customer really wants.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have to assume they stuck with the lovely brake and suspension for so long as part of that design ethos, if you're designing a bike with no way of bracing with your knees and only one hand on the handlebars, the last thing you need is actual working brakes or the ability to corner.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Japanese are way ahead when it comes to noodle delivery technology:

http://wordpress.tokyotimes.org/dangerously-delivered-dinner/

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

hell yeah, I picked up a sym symba about a month ago and I've been riding the hell out of it. Its great for city stuff and handles seattle's hills no problem so far (in first gear)

I wonder what the power output of the new one is gonna be, the sym is 100cc i think and they've up-ed that to 125? Probably has fuel injection too which could be nice, the sym has a carburetor.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Now I'm curious if the SYM super cub clones all have that trick gearbox. Though probably not as fair to call them clones as SYM was basically Honda Taiwan until some pan-blue rear end in a top hat kicked them out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They do. The Chinese engines swap right into a CT, although they're noticeably worse in every way.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Slavvy posted:

They do. The Chinese engines swap right into a CT, although they're noticeably worse in every way.

China != Taiwan.

Otherwise, I don't think SYM makes them anymore now that Honda is back in the Taiwan market (and stupidly overpriced).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

hell yeah, I picked up a sym symba about a month ago and I've been riding the hell out of it. Its great for city stuff and handles seattle's hills no problem so far (in first gear)

I wonder what the power output of the new one is gonna be, the sym is 100cc i think and they've up-ed that to 125? Probably has fuel injection too which could be nice, the sym has a carburetor.

Apparently it's a Grom engine in there so yeah, 125.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Looks dope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxYLYY5_954

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

That fuckin' owns and I'd love to have one if I had actual space to store the thing safely.

A MIRACLE posted:

I want a cb1100

I'd also go for this answer as well. The chrome on the CB1100EX. :allears:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

That thing looks amazing and the 3600 price point isn't so bad. It's especially good when you consider all of the technology packed into it. Putting a grom engine into it is so cool. I bet you can take advantage of the massive grom engine aftermarket, too.

Curb weight is only 15 lbs more than the grom. Impressive.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Coydog posted:

That thing looks amazing and the 3600 price point isn't so bad. It's especially good when you consider all of the technology packed into it. Putting a grom engine into it is so cool. I bet you can take advantage of the massive grom engine aftermarket, too.

Curb weight is only 15 lbs more than the grom. Impressive.

It’s really on point cause the Grom with ABS retail is $3549.

Monkey looks like same idea... take Grom engine and rebuild classic bike. It costs more though for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrsJI847POA

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Saw a pretty rare one today:

Google tells me HRD operated from 1924 to 1928.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's too bad none of the couple hundred motorbike manufacturers that existed in the US in the early 1900s made it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rZNipbmqDI&t=158s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aaaaand that blood pooling on the pavement is why we call that sort of helmet a "brain bucket."

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Dang

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Thanks for the heads up. Definitely not clicking on that one.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Quite A Tool posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely not clicking on that one.

Its a small amount of blood not a giant puddle or anything.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Video ends with "Get well soon mate" So I'm assuming he's still alive. Might be eating and breathing through tubes, but alive.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

Video ends with "Get well soon mate" So I'm assuming he's still alive. Might be eating and breathing through tubes, but alive.

Poster reckons the dude was out of hospital the next day.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My roommate has permanent "brain don't work so good" ever since he took a 15mph spill and bonked his noggin while riding around the block sans helmet. The best job he can do now is setting up display stands for power tools at hardware stores.

Always wear a helmet and always use a full face.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

No. 6 posted:

My roommate has permanent "brain don't work so good" ever since he took a 15mph spill and bonked his noggin while riding around the block sans helmet. The best job he can do now is setting up display stands for power tools at hardware stores.

Always wear a helmet and always use a full face.

I'm on bicycles more than motorcycles these days and the way the bicycles guys look at this is mind boggling. You can't get a full-face road bike helmet, they don't make them. The best you can do is get a mtb full-face and take off the visor. The road bike guys don't think a full-face is necessary at all and the mtb guys only think you should use full face if you're doing serious downhill. Meanwhile for a fit road bike rider (not me) average speeds are between 15 ~ 20 mph. Getting up to 35+ on a downhill is not uncommon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A number of years ago some passerby in here posted about how their cousin had gone into a coma and ended up with half their body paralyzed after running into a curb on their Harley at 15mph (no helmet).

Speed doesn't really have anything to do with it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

I'm on bicycles more than motorcycles these days and the way the bicycles guys look at this is mind boggling. You can't get a full-face road bike helmet, they don't make them. The best you can do is get a mtb full-face and take off the visor. The road bike guys don't think a full-face is necessary at all and the mtb guys only think you should use full face if you're doing serious downhill. Meanwhile for a fit road bike rider (not me) average speeds are between 15 ~ 20 mph. Getting up to 35+ on a downhill is not uncommon.

I don't think there's any way of making a bicycle helmet full-face without it being basically an MX helmet, just because of the ventilation requirements. Unless you're really loving unfit you're never breathing anywhere near as hard on a motorbike as on a pushbike.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Also the road bikers that regularly ride 30+ mph tend to overlap quite a bit with the ones that will spend $texas to shave 5 grams off the weight of their bike, and a proper helmet would be too heavy for their taste.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

50+mph downhills in shorts and a jersey.

But yeah, you can't exactly do extreme cardio wearing leathers or mx gear.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah but when you're riding off road, falling down is a given. That's why most MTB dudes I see on the trails wear gear. You can expect to fall, which is not the same on a road bike.

Now, on the other hand, people driving cars around you are idiots.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Never go anywhere not dressed like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHy4Y4z2Nb8

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

ah, the old "I'm going to make a suit for fighting bears in. Wait, no one fights bears? OK, I'll turn it into a damned near immobile fire suit" guy. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
https://www.facebook.com/1539940003/posts/10216428320370799/

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

If there ever was proof of how important the ankle joint is to walking it's that suit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazzzzz posted:

ah, the old "I'm going to make a suit for fighting bears in. Wait, no one fights bears? OK, I'll turn it into a damned near immobile fire suit" guy. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

I always just thought this was some weird stock footage or made for the music video or something, I had no idea about the bear fighting thing until I looked it up just now

How in the gently caress do you blow $150,000 on wrapping yourself in duct tape? :psyduck:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I hate linking a video on facebook but this is the only place this exists and ya'll HAVE to see it.

Dude on an R1 fails to brake on an intersection in atlanta, slams into the wall on the other side, goes through the fence, falls 50ft. He is claiming "brake failure" and apparently had leaking front brakes at the time. He could have stopped or cornered anyway, or shouldn't have been riding so fast.

https://www.facebook.com/11Alive/videos/10155620433240496/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What were the injuries? Did he get run over on the interstate below?