Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

azurite posted:

I thought WhatsApp was dominant globally, though I guess that's technically Facebook now. My circle of friends and family uses Hangouts because they're a mix of techies and Project Fi converts.

Same for person to person but we switched to Skype for group chat because of better bots and because in hangouts everyone can add /remove people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Plinkey posted:

Same for person to person but we switched to Skype for group chat because of better bots and because in hangouts everyone can add /remove people.

When did they add the ability to remove people from hangouts? I noticed it was possible last year some time. I remember when my group was trying to get one started, one guy couldn't figure out hangouts and didn't realize he was actually in the group. He kept saying he wasn't in it, so another person kept adding random people with his name to the group and one of those people eventually started spamming the group so we had to start a new one.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Isn't AAFES a military program? I assume there must be bases where VHS is still the dominant tech due to old installations? I'm guessing here but I can't think of any better explanation and the fact it's a blank white label definitely gives me the gov impression.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

Isn't AAFES a military program? I assume there must be bases where VHS is still the dominant tech due to old installations? I'm guessing here but I can't think of any better explanation and the fact it's a blank white label definitely gives me the gov impression.
AAFES is Army and Air Force Exchange system. The facility I found this in is only about 5 years old, and the base didn't start getting up until after 9/11. Guys in missile silos might still be using floppy discs but I haven't seen a VCR in years.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

When did they add the ability to remove people from hangouts? I noticed it was possible last year some time. I remember when my group was trying to get one started, one guy couldn't figure out hangouts and didn't realize he was actually in the group. He kept saying he wasn't in it, so another person kept adding random people with his name to the group and one of those people eventually started spamming the group so we had to start a new one.

Dunno sometime last year I guess, me and my friends would slight or insult each other and kick the person, only for some else to add them back in like 5 minutes.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

azurite posted:

I thought WhatsApp was dominant globally, though I guess that's technically Facebook now. My circle of friends and family uses Hangouts because they're a mix of techies and Project Fi converts.

WhatsApp might be most popular worldwide, but there's still plenty of regional variation. For example Line is the biggest in Japan and WeChat is dominant in China

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

KozmoNaut posted:

Not here. FB Messenger rules supreme. Some people use WhatsApp, but not very many.

I've tried getting people to use Signal or Wire, but they're not really interested, because "everyone else is on Messenger and I don't want to use two apps".

signal? the only place ive encountered signal is in leftist activism circles. pretty much everytime ive been to an organizing meeting for a protest or any sort of radical org people there are using it to communicate.

Kanine has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Jun 9, 2018

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Australian here: WhatsApp is only used by backpackers and my Brazilian friends. Messenger for the locals.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

British here and everyone I know in Western Europe and the States uses WhatsApp first and Messenger second. I have Signal only to talk to one friend who works in infosec and is therefore paranoid.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I use signal as my SMS app - it's fine for that, and upgrades to its own thing for the few people I talk to who also use it. (Thinking about it, isn't that sort of how iMessage works as well?)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, that's how I use it now, as well.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Here everyone either uses IRC or Ultima Online's global chat

Iron Crowned posted:

So, what's left after that goes?
I actually assumed Iron Crowned meant "of Yahoo" which made me laugh because it seems like a fair point

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

https://www.similarweb.com/blog/mobile-messaging-app-map-2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i still use irc and have heard of zero of those services

being old as gently caress kicks rear end

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Anyone remember total conversion games? Stuff that would just slap new textures and palettes on existing games? There was an X-Men one for Doom (iirc) that I wanted so bad back in the day...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

Anyone remember total conversion games? Stuff that would just slap new textures and palettes on existing games? There was an X-Men one for Doom (iirc) that I wanted so bad back in the day...
It was for Quake and I've read that it's not worth playing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i still use irc and have heard of zero of those services

being old as gently caress kicks rear end

This is the “I don’t even own a tv” of messaging posts, but you topped it off with “I dont even know what a tv is”. Congrats

mystes
May 31, 2006

Do most people in the US really use messaging apps like Facebook Messenger on a daily basis?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Telegram is so loving good I can't quite understand why it's only popular in motherfuckin Iran. :psyduck:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

mystes posted:

Do most people in the US really use messaging apps like Facebook Messenger on a daily basis?

Why is that odd? I don't have everyone's phone number but I usually have them on Facebook.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the “I don’t even own a tv” of messaging posts, but you topped it off with “I dont even know what a tv is”. Congrats

"I don't even own a TV" is kind of a tech relic itself, since it's now fairly common to actually not own a TV.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I don’t know a single person who uses What’s App, everyone uses Facebook

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I could see not having cable, but what kind of person doesn't even have a TV?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I have a 42" android computer that looks like a TV.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

jojoinnit posted:

What you described is a partial conversion where you just replace the things you mention. Total conversion was something over the top like new mechanics, new maps, new weapons, etc.

Total conversion would be like how Heretic came to be. Partial conversion is replacing all the imps with Beavis and the cyberdemons with Barney the Dinosaur.

Quake was a bit more complicated since everything was not just a Ms paint away from making a change but I considered things like Superhero Quake as a partial conversion since you use the same multiplayer maps while likes like Jailbreak or Action Quake were total conversion since they had was different mechanics but also had to have total new maps to support them. (Less so action but the action quake maps we're good as gently caress)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Modern TVs are basically monitors except shittier, especially now that some don't even have built in tuners. Everyone I know with a game console plugs it into a PC monitor for the reduced latency, and shows generally get watched on streaming services on a tablet or phone.

The only people I know with dedicated TVs are the type that run it 24/7 without ever actually watching it, because they enjoy the extra background noise.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

mystes posted:

I know people who do not use Facebook who use Facebook Messenger. Which I do not understand but hey whatever

I only use /shout

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah I don’t know a single person who uses What’s App, everyone uses Facebook
The only Americans I know who use WhaTSAPPpPpp are refugee officers, expatriates of other countries, or people with relatives in other countries, which kind of confirms that nobody otherwise uses it in The America

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Cojawfee posted:

When albums came out on vinyl or tape, you had to make every song on there decent.

I hear this thrown around, but is this a case of remembering really good albums and ignoring unmemorable or outright bad ones?

Star Man posted:

The appeal for cassette tapes really is for the eccentricities of the format like the hiss from an old tape. Contemporary artists that release anything on tape do it for that kind of sound that you can't reproduce in a studio.

Sure they could, there's nothing stopping an artist from deriving their master from a cassette tape.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Wechat is the most popular here in China because literally every single one of those other ones are blocked*. :downs: Funny how the Chinese government isn’t fond of apps that let people communicate privately with each other via servers that aren’t in China and easily monitored (or are end-to-end encrypted). And the resulting success of a domestic company thanks to the protectionist removal of every foreign competitor doesn’t hurt either.

* I’ve never tried Viber nor has anyone else I know and lol at whatever the hell imo is that’s apparently used only in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. So maybe they’re not.

Porfiriato has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Jun 10, 2018

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

jojoinnit posted:

I remember playing an Aliens one for Doom with a friend, but I'm not sure if it was https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Aliens_TC or some lesser one. I remember hearing "There's movement all over the place" constantly, which didn't make a lot of sense for me as I hadn't (and still haven't) seen the movies :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

LINE rules

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

jojoinnit posted:

Why is that odd? I don't have everyone's phone number but I usually have them on Facebook.

I have 300+ people on Facebook and not a one talks to me about anything, ever.

In fact except for my girlfriend and coworkers, I would probably receive 20 texts a year which is mostly people trying to get me to fill a seat for their performance.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

The only Americans I know who use WhaTSAPPpPpp are refugee officers, expatriates of other countries, or people with relatives in other countries, which kind of confirms that nobody otherwise uses it in The America

Until the EU commission laid the smack down on mobile providers, roaming fees and international calls/texts between member states were ridiculously expensive, so it's no wonder that chat programs that worked for free via the internet caught on.

US providers headed this off by dropping extra fees for texting, so they were never really necessary for most people. Now the only reason to use them in the US is for international calls because telecom companies still charge dollars per minute in some cases.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I ise hangouts because it lets me text on my computer and forward calls from phone to computer, both of which are super useful.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Modern TVs are basically monitors except shittier, especially now that some don't even have built in tuners. Everyone I know with a game console plugs it into a PC monitor for the reduced latency, and shows generally get watched on streaming services on a tablet or phone.

The only people I know with dedicated TVs are the type that run it 24/7 without ever actually watching it, because they enjoy the extra background noise.

Yeah that is not “fairly common” outside of your gaming commune.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Fallom posted:

:emptyquote:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Fallom posted:

oh ok

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

skooma512 posted:

I have 300+ people on Facebook and not a one talks to me about anything, ever.

In fact except for my girlfriend and coworkers, I would probably receive 20 texts a year which is mostly people trying to get me to fill a seat for their performance.

Sorry about your lack of friends? :shrug:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

mystes posted:

I only use it because of selling loads of baby stuff from my twins on Facebook Marketplace. When I'm not selling/buying, I use it maybe a couple times a week. Otherwise, I just text people. From what I've picked up from students and a few adults that use it in place of sms is due to almost nonexistent government-supplied or prepay phone plans and they just hop onto free wifi here and there to communicate.

I haven't used Yahoo! messenger in years. Maybe 2004-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've been using WhatsApp a lot to talk to people back home when I'm overseas. Helps that it's not tied to your phone platform, and besides that I refuse to use Facebook.