Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Now you gotta buy all the duct tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

Now you gotta buy all the duct tape.

Nah, I got dudes farming piles of vegetables for my adhesive needs.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Bethesda games just kind of fling loot at you nonstop. In Fallout you couldn't loot every single suit of armor from every person you killed and then sell them.

I remember playing the F1 demo which was simplified Junktown where you basically just walked up to one of the sides and said 'yeah I'm with you', then shoot mans. Every single person dropped armor along with their guns/ammo/loot but it didn't matter because the game either ended when you left or you couldn't exit the map, I don't remember.

E: Kinda glad they didn't have every single idiot raider drop armor because that would have hilariously blown out the economy of the game. Fought 3 raiders in an early game random encounter? Congrats, you have like 15k caps (10 if you equip one of the armors).

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 8, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Soul Glo posted:

these people can't even sweep up their floors after 200 years, they desperately need someone with their poo poo together calling the shots

Yeah I always wondered about this in the Fallouts. Is there any explanation for this? Like why not just make this happen immediately after the bombs drop?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Vault city and new reno both cleaned up.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
And NCR is new construction, San Fran is cleaned and rebuilt prewar.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The bombs killed all the moms and without moms around, no one was there to make people clean their rooms. Now, 200 years later, the ultimate mom has been brought from the past and she's going to make them pay, she's going to make them all pay.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

The bombs killed all the moms and without moms around, no one was there to make people clean their rooms. Now, 200 years later, the ultimate mom has been brought from the past and she's going to make them pay, she's going to make them all pay.

sounds better than where's shaun

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: Kinda glad they didn't have every single idiot raider drop armor because that would have hilariously blown out the economy of the game. Fought 3 raiders in an early game random encounter? Congrats, you have like 15k caps (10 if you equip one of the armors).

The enemies in the Raider camp in Fallout 1 actually do all drop their armour upon being killed, so you can walk out of that place with somehwere around a dozen Leather Armors and one Metal Armor. It does unbalance the early economy, but then taking on the whole camp at early levels is no mean feat.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Tenzarin posted:

Isn't that the railroad? They make you pick a lame nickname and give you all stealth weapons.

railroad > thieves guild
BoS > fighters guild
Institute > mages guild
Minutemen > knights of the thorn from oblivion

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fallout 1 actually had a huge "selling armor breaks the economy" problem because enemies wearing armor lower than power armor dropped their armor, people didn't notice very much just because there aren't all that many opportunities to fight armored human enemies

ZombieSupaStar
Mar 30, 2007

Did anyone ever ask Todd why Fallout 4 has like 4 skill checks in the whole main game? I could see them not bothering, but to barely include any? Did they run out time? Take a look at new Vegas’s bugs and noped out? Forgot to send the memo to the one designer who did them?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ZombieSupaStar posted:

Did anyone ever ask Todd why Fallout 4 has like 4 skill checks in the whole main game? I could see them not bothering, but to barely include any? Did they run out time? Take a look at new Vegas’s bugs and noped out? Forgot to send the memo to the one designer who did them?

iirc, in interviews he's admitted that was one of the things they screwed up in FO4 and tried to address in Far Harbor

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

fallout 1 actually had a huge "selling armor breaks the economy" problem because enemies wearing armor lower than power armor dropped their armor, people didn't notice very much just because there aren't all that many opportunities to fight armored human enemies

This is so weird, because my memory tells me they didn't. Or was that some other 90s is rpg?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is so weird, because my memory tells me they didn't. Or was that some other 90s is rpg?

They fixed in two because idiots like me would load up their whole party's inventory with armor and sell it, breaking the economy.

Or I would have if I wasn't such an inveterate hoarder that I'd just spend it on more stimpacks and ammo that I never actually used because "what if I run out!?:ohdear:"

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

What I'm getting at is that Fallout should really just be Metro: 2033, but open world.

I think I'm gonna go play STALKER again.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Never not play stalker, chelloveks....

I'm sort of burned out by fallout so I am taking a break with skyrim se, however, it looks like I have to open a great deal of my mods in the ck for the game to make any sense of them and blablabla.
arse movement has got really good though.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

:siren: https://www.clickhole.com/incredible-bethesda-revealed-that-fallout-76-will-sh-1826545754 :siren:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
And like that I'm caught in a fantasy of a post-apocalyptic baseball rpg.

Instead of making a billion lifeless settlements, your task is to reintroduce baseball to the new world by invading diamond city, and restoring the ancient baseball stadium to it's proper glory after kicking out 200 years of squatters.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 8, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I know it's been like two months since I played fallout 1, but what economy is there to break? It's basically save up for combat armor, the end.

With 50 barter you literally sold things for higher than the purchase price, there was no need to deal with inventory management to break whatever economy you think there was.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Battlefield: New California

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've never played a bad character before so I'm playing the FO3 segment of TTW as evil as possible.

I did operation anchorage to get the gear first before going to megaton and killing basically everyone, holy poo poo you get basically no ammo early in FO3 this is going to be tough if I'm determined to kill everyone I find.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i've been trying to consider the voiced protag situation from the angle of "which games have i enjoyed that did this" and the immediate answer that pops into my head is The Boss from Saints Row 3/4. it felt like all of the VOs were having a great time (and obviously the script goes off the rails gonzo in a good way) and it really enhanced my enjoyment of the game.

sure, The Boss isn't you-the-player, but you're controlling The Boss and if they are having fun, it makes it a lot easier to get into the game. I feel like John Fallout in 4 could have been much more bearable if it was established that you are playing as John Fallout and not an idealized version of yourself. You can still pick how John Fallout responds to situations and other NPCs, but they can write the responses with a much more consistent tone because they don't have to pretend that they player is the actual character and that their motivations are wild and varied.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what the i just saw a thing that said a leak is saying fallout 76 will be released next month

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what the i just saw a thing that said a leak is saying fallout 76 will be released next month

FO 4 was announced in June and released in October of that same year, so it isn't completely impossible.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ZombieSupaStar posted:

I like the Covenant town where you have like all of the skill checks in the game to work with the radio. It's like the only place in the game that checks your stats.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

ZombieSupaStar posted:

... I can't remember any at all, aside from the persuasion checks, if those count.

As much as I loved Fallout 4, I think that this and the skill system being gutted along with perks being level gated and the dialogue losing all complexity made feel like I was playing a health pool with a load out, rather than a unique character who had strengths or personality or a background. Where the hell is the RPG that goes with this scavenging game? I never once felt like I wanted to play a second time for any reason other than choosing a difference end-game faction.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tenzarin posted:

I like the Covenant town where you have like all of the skill checks in the game to work with the radio. It's like the only place in the game that checks your stats.

The USS Constitution had a few skill checks when repairing the boat.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Keeshhound posted:

And like that I'm caught in a fantasy of a post-apocalyptic baseball rpg.

Instead of making a billion lifeless settlements, your task is to reintroduce baseball to the new world by invading diamond city, and restoring the ancient baseball stadium to it's proper glory after kicking out 200 years of squatters.

I've definitely seen someone somewhere working on a game that was a baseball manager sim but Mad Max.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Anybody know if that Nuka-Cola cherry armor paint job that's in the new nuka cola lovers bundle on the cc is in that nuka cola workshop pack? It looks nice but not 600 credits nice.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Obviously July 6th. This might seem backwards to the rest of the world.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
make opening your inventory in combat require AP again you loving cowards Bethesda. combat will always be trivial in some way as long as my Pip-Boy gives me CHIM

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Does anyone remember the FOnline thread in games and the goonrush clan that ensued?

That unofficial Ultima-style hardcore Fallout1/2 MMO was janky as hell, but I have so many good stories about it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

make opening your inventory in combat require AP again you loving cowards Bethesda. combat will always be trivial in some way as long as my Pip-Boy gives me CHIM

I mean, even that wouldn't make combat a real threat, because the existence of resting means every single enemy needs to be an entire fight in of themselves or hilariously easy to mow down. The player doesn't actually suffer from attrition.

Pacra posted:

Does anyone remember the FOnline thread in games and the goonrush clan that ensued?

That unofficial Ultima-style hardcore Fallout1/2 MMO was janky as hell, but I have so many good stories about it.

FOnline was cool for the first week or two, then they buckled to NMA and made everything hardet and harder to do.

Quests were stripped because they gave rewards, inventories emptied because they gave guns and armor, melee gimped because people managed to be effective at the start. By the time I stopped playing new characters had to literally click on mounds of poo poo for half an hour to slowly accrue enough money for enough materials to craft the worst possible gun. Meanwhile the established groups demanding everything be harder and more tedious had clan caves full of metal armor and tge best guns from before it was made impossible to get them.

It was a complete disaster.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 9, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, even that wouldn't make combat a real threat, because the existence of resting means every single enemy needs to be an entire fight in of themselves or hilariously easy to mow down. The player doesn't actually suffer from attrition.

Man, it's been so long since I played something other than Horizon overhaul , where player attrition is the core concept.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Mantis42 posted:

Admins please redesign the forums so this isn't too long to be a thread title TIA

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Well, there's the potential fight where you rescue Tandi and can stagger back to town burdened by all that leather armor. I remember that made a tidy piece financial start-up. capital.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I listened to "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" by Warren Zevon and now I want to play Honest Hearts and grab myself a .45 SMG. Not sure what mod I'd need to play a headless Courier, though.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 9, 2018

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

StandardVC10 posted:

I listened to "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" by Warren Zevon and now I want to play Honest Hearts and grab myself a .45 SMG. Not sure what mod I'd need to play a headless Courier, though.

Just go through Old World Blues and don't take your brain back when you're given the opportunity. Bing bong, so simple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Trustworthy posted:

Admins please redesign the forums so this isn't too long to be a thread title TIA

Fallout: Ultimate Mom Edition - Now With More Silver Shroud Shenanigans