Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Field Mousepad posted:

I know it's probably been said a thousand times but seriously start working out. I joined a gym with my girlfriend a few months ago and it's insane how quickly I've seen improvements in my mental health, like going from massive anxiety for the first few hours after I wake up in the morning to almost none at all.

You don't have to go and lift weights for 5 hours straight either, just use a treadmill or elliptical machine for like half an hour a day. Just fuckin go you'll feel better I promise.

This, exactly. I don't think that exercise is a cure-all for depression, but it can help counteract some of the depression.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC474733/
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-athletes-way/201310/25-studies-confirm-exercise-prevents-depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Field Mousepad posted:

I know it's probably been said a thousand times but seriously start working out. I joined a gym with my girlfriend a few months ago and it's insane how quickly I've seen improvements in my mental health, like going from massive anxiety for the first few hours after I wake up in the morning to almost none at all.

You don't have to go and lift weights for 5 hours straight either, just use a treadmill or elliptical machine for like half an hour a day. Just fuckin go you'll feel better I promise.

It's not guaranteed sadly. After I finished highschool I spent a year working on a stepper to lose some weight. Managed to lose the weight, but still felt like poo poo and never enjoyed it. I've tried to get back to regular exercise plenty of times after, trying different routines, but even after months of regular work it'd be just as painful and not helping my mood so I gave up.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

I also like to remind myself that if I die, my cockatiels will not be nearly as loved and spoiled as they are with me, because everyone I know who might take them has cats, but my doctor says that's a lot of responsibility to put on a little bird.

:sympathy:

My little bird has a lot of responsibility too. Birds good.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Jun 9, 2018

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I really want to talk about this, but I feel like we have misdirected the thread. Should we start a different thread to talk about these issues?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I see no idiots here.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
PYF reason to live

in all seriousness, this happened because GBS was way too toxic for this sort of conversation (raccoon & bird mods best mods)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Sarcopenia posted:

It baffles me that people don't get that depression is a legit mental illness that can't be controlled by sheer will power.

Another disease of the brain.

A) Not with everyone, of course, but I think some people blame mental illness on a sheer lack of willpower because they're scared. Specifically, when people they know and love are struggling with mental illness, I think it sometimes turns into this breakdown where another person feels so helpless that they end up thinking, "Just stop doing that!" I've done something like that, and I'm loving froot loops crazy myself. A friend of mine was entering into a manic phase once, and I was very attuned to it; she would get very sweaty for some reason, and her stories would gradually get longer and longer until they were 45 minutes long. I remember thinking, "Why won't you just calm down?" immediately followed by, "You loving idiot, of course she can't calm down."

B) Huh? Doesn't this just say "confront Nazis" or something?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

china bot posted:

PYF reason to live

in all seriousness, this happened because GBS was way too toxic for this sort of conversation (raccoon & bird mods best mods)

I can agree with this.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's not guaranteed sadly. After I finished highschool I spent a year working on a stepper to lose some weight. Managed to lose the weight, but still felt like poo poo and never enjoyed it. I've tried to get back to regular exercise plenty of times after, trying different routines, but even after months of regular work it'd be just as painful and not helping my mood so I gave up.

It's anecdotal I know, I can only speak for myself. But it's helped me so much I'm becoming one of those people who try to get everyone to work out.

I don't have insurance so I can't afford anxiety meds and self medicating aka drinking myself stupid was not healthy obviously. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you bud :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mushika posted:

I really want to talk about this, but I feel like we have misdirected the thread. Should we start a different thread to talk about these issues?

I don't mind it occurring here for a little while longer. It happened very organically and I doubt it could be recreated as effectively on purpose.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Late to the discussion, so apologies, but I just wanted to say this suicide discussion has been really nice and helpful to read for me as well, especially the poster talking about intrusive thoughts of suicide. It took me a long time to realise that I was suicidal because the way it manifests for me is being presented with graphic images of me taking my own life, often in response to perceived failures on my part (which can be as mild as having had a totally neutral conversation with someone where my anxiety convinces me I've come across badly.)

It took a member of the crisis team I was under the care of explaining to me that those intrusive thoughts can be seen as my brain trying to problem solve; confronted with a seemingly inescapable amount of pain and stress from everyday life, the only solution it can present in its overwhelmed state is death.

I didn't seek out help for a long time because I thought of "being suicidal" as "actively wanting to kill yourself", and always thought that I didn't deserve help because I wasn't that sick. I don't want to kill myself, therefore I'm not really suicidal (just, y'know, constantly bombarded with visual images of me killing myself.) Being suicidal and in danger of death as a result can be hard to understand for someone actively experiencing it, let alone an outsider.

I've had multiple people in my life kill themselves, and I'm familiar with the pain, anger and guilt of being left behind. But having seen it from the otherside, I can never blame someone for it because I know how difficult it is to just exist when your thinking parts are malfunctioning.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Jun 9, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I don't mind it occurring here for a little while longer. It happened very organically and I doubt it could be recreated as effectively on purpose.

agreed

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Mushika posted:

Good point. Anyone have any suggestions for a place/general theme? E/N is sort of an obvious choice, but it's happening in PYF, so I dunno.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

WHAT THE gently caress

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

china bot posted:

PYF reason to live

Bird mod best mod

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

just buy more, your sadness will be cured

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

On the other hand, I have 0 compassion for vultures like this, what an absolute gently caress.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I see no idiots here.

e: except that oil scavenger

Mushika has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Jun 9, 2018

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Field Mousepad posted:

Bird mod best mod

You're just salty I changed your title to "BAE"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I am extremely angry at this person.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Wow sounds like you guys need some oils

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
only to pool up and ignite at the feet of that human trash maybe

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Field Mousepad posted:

It's anecdotal I know, I can only speak for myself. But it's helped me so much I'm becoming one of those people who try to get everyone to work out.

I don't have insurance so I can't afford anxiety meds and self medicating aka drinking myself stupid was not healthy obviously. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you bud :(

Yeah, I think everyone should give exercise a shot as well. Just warning that like most things there's no guarantees, so people don't end up like me after people kept telling me it'd help and it didn't and I had to fight off thoughts that I was like super-broken or something.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

cash crab posted:

"Confront Nazism", yeah. No violence, just "stand up to Nazis".

I wonder what species of snake the oil is from. Also, if Bourdain was so important to this person, they could at least have spelled his name right.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

cash crab posted:

A) Not with everyone, of course, but I think some people blame mental illness on a sheer lack of willpower because they're scared. Specifically, when people they know and love are struggling with mental illness, I think it sometimes turns into this breakdown where another person feels so helpless that they end up thinking, "Just stop doing that!" I've done something like that, and I'm loving froot loops crazy myself. A friend of mine was entering into a manic phase once, and I was very attuned to it; she would get very sweaty for some reason, and her stories would gradually get longer and longer until they were 45 minutes long. I remember thinking, "Why won't you just calm down?" immediately followed by, "You loving idiot, of course she can't calm down."

This is all too true and especially depression and mania because people know what it's like to be sad and happy not realising that they aren't the same thing. "Don't you miss being manic?" You mean those few days where I would be extremely annoyed with everyone, spend all my money, make a fool out of myself and then wake up in a deep depression made worse by all the projects I know I'll never finish, knowing that I trampled all over my loving boyfriend and financial hardships!?

Yup, that's literally what it means. This man can not be real.
e: or literally it's "confront the nazism"

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Field Mousepad posted:

I'd really like to be able to work out to feel better and also to get healthier but I run into the issue of just running out of energy by the time my day is through and also not having the motivation to get moving. A work out buddy would be a great help but I just don't have the drive to do it on my own. :(

On the plus side my current medication does so much good for my anxiety it's like night and day. The depression is so so bad though. I'm going to be moving soon to be closer to friends. Maybe that will help.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

cash crab posted:

Good point. Anyone have any suggestions for a place/general theme? E/N is sort of an obvious choice, but it's happening in PYF, so I dunno.

It was suggested as a joke earlier, but honestly "PYF reason to keep living" doesn't sound like the worst idea, and the best place for that is there in the title. Lots of people tell stories about their depression, not so many talk about the little things, like the next episode of Lost, or cliffhangers, or their next vacation, or whatever it is that keeps them in the world.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

cash crab posted:

You're just salty I changed your title to "BAE"

Haha that was you?! I thought it was a random goon.

I've taken a liking to it actually. We're still buds. :3:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pustulio posted:

It was suggested as a joke earlier, but honestly "PYF reason to keep living" doesn't sound like the worst idea, and the best place for that is there in the title. Lots of people tell stories about their depression, not so many talk about the little things, like the next episode of Lost, or cliffhangers, or their next vacation, or whatever it is that keeps them in the world.

It would turn into an argument and a slapfight full of "jokes" by page 3.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Field Mousepad posted:

While I'm really happy this worked for you, please remember that there is no remedy that fits all. I have been diagnosed with PTSD after leaving an abusive marriage. I saw a therapist who was quite helpful until I had to move to a new country to stop my ex-husband from finding me. Unfortunately I can't get a new therapist in my new country, since I'm only just starting to learn the language.
I also have a disease that means that running, jumping, lifting, or basically anything that puts pressure on your joints is a major no-no. I can do slow walking, and I can swim. Joining a gym would literally put me in a wheel chair after 6 to 18 months. I already need a frame to walk if it is cold outside. Yet people still tell me "Join a gym, you will feel better when you get in better shape!" And when I refuse, I'm more often than not accused of "not wanting to feel better", leading to me going home to cry and feel like absolute shite because my stupid body won't work.

summed up: Great that joining a gym helped you! :) But please don't think that joining a gym will help everyone. By insisting that "But you will feel better, I promise" you might, without meaning to, add to their problems. :(

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Screaming Idiot posted:

I strongly agree with this.

Edit: For what it is worth my reasons are: A) My mom would be very sad and she relies on me to help with a lot of stuff. B) A handful of various trips I have planned.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Sarcopenia posted:

This is all too true and especially depression and mania because people know what it's like to be sad and happy not realising that they aren't the same thing. "Don't you miss being manic?" You mean those few days where I would be extremely annoyed with everyone, spend all my money, make a fool out of myself and then wake up in a deep depression made worse by all the projects I know I'll never finish, knowing that I trampled all over my loving boyfriend and financial hardships!?

Yup, that's literally what it means. This man can not be real.
e: or literally it's "confront the nazism"

In a world where we infrequently discuss mental illness a lot of people rely on rough estimations of what some conditions are like, which is how you also end up with people who think OCD makes you clean or organized, for example.

Field Mousepad posted:

Haha that was you?! I thought it was a random goon.

I've taken a liking to it actually. We're still buds. :3:

Hahaha, yeah, I can't even remember why. Some throwaway comment you made.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Possibly, yeah. I'm sure there's a way to keep it serious and civil, however.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I'd really like to be able to work out to feel better and also to get healthier but I run into the issue of just running out of energy by the time my day is through and also not having the motivation to get moving. A work out buddy would be a great help but I just don't have the drive to do it on my own. :(

On the plus side my current medication does so much good for my anxiety it's like night and day. The depression is so so bad though. I'm going to be moving soon to be closer to friends. Maybe that will help.

Joining the gym with my girlfriend is probably the only reason I'm still doing it. Having a support system in place is huge, we keep each other going. Find a friend, relative, someone/anyone and get on that poo poo dude.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

BattyKiara posted:

While I'm really happy this worked for you, please remember that there is no remedy that fits all. I have been diagnosed with PTSD after leaving an abusive marriage. I saw a therapist who was quite helpful until I had to move to a new country to stop my ex-husband from finding me. Unfortunately I can't get a new therapist in my new country, since I'm only just starting to learn the language.
I also have a disease that means that running, jumping, lifting, or basically anything that puts pressure on your joints is a major no-no. I can do slow walking, and I can swim. Joining a gym would literally put me in a wheel chair after 6 to 18 months. I already need a frame to walk if it is cold outside. Yet people still tell me "Join a gym, you will feel better when you get in better shape!" And when I refuse, I'm more often than not accused of "not wanting to feel better", leading to me going home to cry and feel like absolute shite because my stupid body won't work.

summed up: Great that joining a gym helped you! :) But please don't think that joining a gym will help everyone. By insisting that "But you will feel better, I promise" you might, without meaning to, add to their problems. :(

Like I said before, that's been my personal experience. I get that some people are going to have physical limitations on what they can and can't do but it's been a big deal for me so I can't help being excited about it.

I'm starting to sound like a crazy perma grin aerobics instructor at this point and that scares me a little.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, I think everyone should give exercise a shot as well. Just warning that like most things there's no guarantees, so people don't end up like me after people kept telling me it'd help and it didn't and I had to fight off thoughts that I was like super-broken or something.

I know people that say "just exercise!" (Or eat healthy, or whatever lifestyle change) mean well, and in the times in my life that I have had a regular exercise routine it really did help me... It's good for adjunct treatment along with other things, and it's probably great for more mild depression, but if you're really struggling then those things that you know you ~should~ be doing to do to make you feel better can just be too overwhelming. And then you feel worse about yourself because you know what you need to do so why don't you just do it already??? When the answer is that it's usually because all your energy is already depleted from making it through all the other poo poo you have to do because everything is like swimming through molasses.
I'm not saying it's bad advice I'm just saying it ain't that simple.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I might have something that will make the "I can't move when I am depressed crowd" (of which I am a proud member) feel a little better: in my experience, temporary jags where you end up working out and eating a little better will make your body a little more functional while you're in a depressive period, meaning you're not as physically exhausted as you would normally be during these times. What I am saying here, is that you shouldn't feel guilty if you end up going into an episode and can't maintain what you were doing before, because it'll be infinitely easier when you DO feel better (and one day, you will feel better for a bit) to pick it back up.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I live like Hedonism Bot.

I probably shouldn't live like Hedonism Bot.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I wish I could work out, I used to be a lazy SOB during my teens but a few years ago in the early stages of my physical problems I did start enjoying being active in general.
Haven't gone swimming in 11 years, not since the wounds before my current set. :smith:

Zedd has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm in a group on Facebook called 'Wow, thanks, I'm cured" that shreds posts about how just trying to be happy fixes your depression and people with disabilities and conditions just need to try harder and have a better attitude. It's really cathartic at times.