Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What exactly was your thing? Because the Heathcliff weapon modification system uses item tags, which are a thing in Powered by the Apocolypse and not DnD. Take out the tags and you're left with "collect special items and trade them in for weapon modifications." It's totally plausible that two people would individually come up with that.

If you are referring to the weapon tag system (i.e. Magic + Narf Blaster, Loud + Jacket) then that's a PTBA thing and not a Griffin thing, so take it up with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ariong posted:

What exactly was your thing? Because the Heathcliff weapon modification system uses item tags, which are a thing in Powered by the Apocolypse and not DnD. Take out the tags and you're left with "collect special items and trade them in for weapon modifications." It's totally plausible that two people would individually come up with that.

If you are referring to the weapon tag system (i.e. Magic + Narf Blaster, Loud + Jacket) then that's a PTBA thing and not a Griffin thing, so take it up with them.

Yeah it was a tag system where each item had a capacity and each tag had a specific point value. So you could attach "exploding" to a pair of boots to basically rocket jump or attach "paralysis" to boxing gloves to make people keel over.

I've heard great things about PbTA so maybe I should scrap what I have and just play that :haw:

Edit: In the message to him I talked about how my players had the option of recovering items as a side quest, turning them over to an NPC and then playing a little game for a semi-random item, which is wjere the list of 200 came into play.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 7, 2018

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Also, you know, even if Griffin did use your idea in the podcast, it would be because it was in an email you sent him saying "use my idea in the podcast".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yep and I'm 100% okay with that. Kinda why I did it, y'know.

My point is that he's usually so good at giving credit that I'm assuming it's a coincidence.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah it was a tag system where each item had a capacity and each tag had a specific point value. So you could attach "exploding" to a pair of boots to basically rocket jump or attach "paralysis" to boxing gloves to make people keel over.

Yeah, that's something that comes standard in PbtA systems. Here's a PDF with the basic character sheets for each class in Monster of the Week, the Amnesty system. On the first page, Under "The Chosen" (Duck's class!) Look under "Your Special Weapon" for some examples of tags. There's probably more under different classes. Urban Shadows, the Dusk system, also had item tags that didn't really come up during the mini-arc.

So basically what I'm saying is that Griffin didn't rip you off, and you should definitely pursue legal action against the creators of Powered by the Apocalypse.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Soinds good.
My team of lawyers thinking I have a good case since my garbage was unpublished nonsense made at the same time as a popular, refined system.

Hell, if that weird Christian author can successfully sue the Matrix people, why can't I?
I'm joking of course.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Inzombiac posted:

My point is that he's usually so good at giving credit that I'm assuming it's a coincidence.

lmao sorry bub griffin isn't going to pat you on the head for a 1000 word email he never read

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Didn’t he mention a person who sent in a huge list of items on the podcast one time? I think he said something like “thanks so much, but I’m never gonna read all these”

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Inzombiac posted:

Then why even bring it up if you don't care about a pat on the head or anyone praising you?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, that’s enough.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I do kind of want to see the list of 200 items now, though. Do you still have it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ariong posted:

I do kind of want to see the list of 200 items now, though. Do you still have it?

Maybe. I abandoned it since I didn't want to rewrite them all for a new setting (they were mostly horror themed) but if I can find it I can PM a link.

It was a helluva lot of fun to write and balance. Some were fairly mundane like "The Gumshoes" which increased your Investigation skill but lowered your speed, or a one-time summon of a Fae lawyer that would break you out of any contract without repercussions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/OhNoPodcast/status/1004908653634150401

Travis did NOT have purple hair on the last tour.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
yeah, he got it dyed...two weeks ago? I think

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Thank Travis for Travis.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Travis is the middlest brother and also the middlest sibling in human history

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Travis the Overcompensater

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Making my way through TAZ for the first time. It’s ironic that Murder on the Rockport Limited takes place on a train and they just go completely off the rails from the word go.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

dirksteadfast posted:

Making my way through TAZ for the first time. It’s ironic that Murder on the Rockport Limited takes place on a train and they just go completely off the rails from the word go.

Have you finished the arc yet?
Keep your post in mind :)

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
TAZ D & D campaign (and graphic novel preview):

http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/20/DRA20_AdventureZone.pdf

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug
I like travis but jeez is he a tryhard

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/everydaylouie/status/1005228085237563392

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

That's one of my favorite (accidental!) bits and I'm so glad Louie Zong was the one to finally animate it

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

When is that from? It's fantastic and I don't remember it.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Ep. 109, Flapjack Nickelsack. One of the only episodes i've listened to multiple times

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

creationist believer posted:

Travis is the middlest brother and also the middlest sibling in human history

Justin "Put Some Jelly On It" McElroy, Travis "Thank Travis for Travis" McElroy, and Griffin "Play With Me" McElroy are each the oldest, middlest and youngest brother that anyone has ever been.

Edit: Also, Adventure Zone is good. Just sort of vaguely reminded of that recently, I guess.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 9, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you like TAZ, I suggest listening to Not Another D&D Podcast.

The name is dumb but it has a lot of the same energy.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/OhNoPodcast/status/1004908653634150401

Travis did NOT have purple hair on the last tour.

What possible reason could Travis have for wearing an altitude training mask

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

omg chael crash posted:

Given the premise of the podcast, it’s probably supposed to realign the positrons of his aura beams or something.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Inzombiac posted:

If you like TAZ, I suggest listening to Not Another D&D Podcast.

The name is dumb but it has a lot of the same energy.

I listened to it a bit, still just partway through episode 8. I like it well enough but I'm one of those people who think Adventure Zone got better as it got more serious and dramatic so the light and goofy shenanigans are fine but don't grab me the same way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dolash posted:

I listened to it a bit, still just partway through episode 8. I like it well enough but I'm one of those people who think Adventure Zone got better as it got more serious and dramatic so the light and goofy shenanigans are fine but don't grab me the same way.

That's totally fair. I have a special fondness for it because one of the hosts also does Drawfee and I love that show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Has anyone ever done an animation of Griffin getting attacked by Goldust? I love that bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAiyQksGa1E

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Has anyone here listened at all to "D&D is for Nerds"? What do you think of the podcast? I listened to a few eps and it seemed like they were 4 extremely giggly australians playing so-far-pretty-straightforward DnD, but it was decently entertaining

edit: the half-elf wizard character has an amazing name to pronounce on a cast

edit edit: this d&d podcast also has their own take on a garfield character

Pacra fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 9, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

omg chael crash posted:

Because they we're testing the altitude training mask for the episode. Travis did not enjoy it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Acute Grill posted:

Because they we're testing the altitude training mask for the episode. Travis did not enjoy it.

Yeah, they’re pretty awful. My coach insisted I use one to train for my very last fight and I felt like I was going to die. Travis’ reaction must be priceless. Thank Travis for Travis

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I gotta download that, I have a friend into MMA who also used a mask for exactly one fight prep and described as 'so bad I was eager to just get to the fight and get punched'.

I imagine it's a thing in general 'well some athletes do this, ergo it's healthy, ergo EVERYONE should do it' fitness circles?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Wouldn't surprise me. Sports are so full of superstitions and rituals.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

sexpig by night posted:

yea I gotta download that, I have a friend into MMA who also used a mask for exactly one fight prep and described as 'so bad I was eager to just get to the fight and get punched'.

I imagine it's a thing in general 'well some athletes do this, ergo it's healthy, ergo EVERYONE should do it' fitness circles?

I read an article a while back digging into the studies on those training masks, and the conclusion was that if they made any difference at all, it was that it made you perform worse.

Boy howdy, was the comments section on that one a fun ride.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea all I've seen on them not by quacks and/or people selling the masks has been 'MAYBE long term, like years long term, it helps endurance a significant amount. The problem is everyone is using them short term right before fights/marathons/whatever and holy poo poo your body should not be doing that stuff while you're training it to adjust to conditions like that'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yeah, it was for an MMA fight of mine and I haven’t used one since.

(I lost)