Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JBP posted:

I wish they'd use the old names as well as the copyright ones. Do characters still say imperial guard at the very least when in casual conversation?

I believe so, like the IG is just part of the Astra Militarum or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

JBP posted:

I wish they'd use the old names as well as the copyright ones.

Its weird for AoS these days. When they released the Warhammer Legends rules for Dark Elves and did the one week made-to-order heroes for them its all just elf and elves. And occasionally in conversations on their twitch stream and once or twice on that new podcast they'll say goblins or dwarfs. But in anything official in written form its all Grots, Duardin, etc.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's shown as being the Guard's proper High Gothic name, used in scripture and w/e. While Imperial Guard is generally depicted as being the Low Gothic common translation used in more casual contexts.

Meanwhile anything written from the perspective of non-Eldar about the knife-eared gits uses Eldar/Dark Eldar/etc, while anything from said knife-eared perspective, or is referring to the race/faction as a whole uses their new names.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

It's shown as being the Guard's proper High Gothic name, used in scripture and w/e. While Imperial Guard is generally depicted as being the Low Gothic common translation used in more casual contexts.

Meanwhile anything written from the perspective of non-Eldar about the knife-eared gits uses Eldar/Dark Eldar/etc, while anything from said knife-eared perspective, or is referring to the race/faction as a whole uses their new names.

It feels fairly natural in 40k. AoS a little less so

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Really hope the new corebook and RPG help tidy up AoS's lore and make the writing feel a little more naturalistic. Feel like the Daughters and Fishelf books were a bit better at not just throwing NOUNS at you in lieu of actual substance.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Can I get some input on this? First model in a new style and scheme so it would be good to get some C&C.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'd try and get some stronger contrast going on with the flames and the skin, but overall that looks really good! How did you get the wet looking texture on the eyeball on the staff?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
The smoke looks like it is missing a tiny something but in not sure what, otherwise it looks incredible!

Been some great hams these last few pages, nice work everyone.

E:whoops, thought this was the keep painting thread

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Danimo posted:

Its weird for AoS these days. When they released the Warhammer Legends rules for Dark Elves and did the one week made-to-order heroes for them its all just elf and elves. And occasionally in conversations on their twitch stream and once or twice on that new podcast they'll say goblins or dwarfs. But in anything official in written form its all Grots, Duardin, etc.

I was under the impression that that was because Age of Sigmar takes place so long after the End Times that the language/names of things organically changed, which is why GW still refers to things by old names when appropriate.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Tiger Millionaire posted:

The smoke looks like it is missing a tiny something but in not sure what, otherwise it looks incredible!

Been some great hams these last few pages, nice work everyone.

E:whoops, thought this was the keep painting thread

Yeah I think the smoke needds something - a stronger colour. Maybe one of the new ghost paints would work.

The Deleter posted:

I'd try and get some stronger contrast going on with the flames and the skin, but overall that looks really good! How did you get the wet looking texture on the eyeball on the staff?

It's literally just flat black with gloss medium over the top. The other eyes have it too but that's harder to see in a photo.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The smoke could use some kind of gradient, it looks incredibly otherwise.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I will be doing death and sigmarine armies for AoS 2.0.

Are there any sigmarine schemes that are fairly simple and don't suck (ie not retributor gold + spot colour).

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Thundercloud posted:

Well I will be doing death and sigmarine armies for AoS 2.0.

Are there any sigmarine schemes that are fairly simple and don't suck (ie not retributor gold + spot colour).

Swapping out the gold for steel is an instant improvement imo.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shadin posted:

I was under the impression that that was because Age of Sigmar takes place so long after the End Times that the language/names of things organically changed, which is why GW still refers to things by old names when appropriate.

Yeah - AoS of literally thousands of years
after the End Times (if not more.) GW has been incredibly vague about the length of time between the two, but it's safe to assume that a lot of the names are corruptions of the original (never mind the IP reasons.)

Lupercalcalcal posted:

Swapping out the gold for steel is an instant improvement imo.
Even a gold other than Retributor is an improvement.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Anvils of the Heldenhammer scheme is good in my opinion

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 9, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I like the concept but the pale gold looks even more washed out next to the dark base color.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

mango sentinel posted:

I like the concept but the pale gold looks even more washed out next to the dark base color.

Just turning it into a straight Black Legion scheme would be better.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah - AoS of literally thousands of years
after the End Times (if not more.) GW has been incredibly vague about the length of time between the two, but it's safe to assume that a lot of the names are corruptions of the original (never mind the IP reasons.)

Even a gold other than Retributor is an improvement.

That’s what I thought. I’ve never seen a credible source for the IP theory and since GW themselves keep using the old names where thematically appropriate and reprint Old World novels I feel like it’s just internet nerd hate-theorying.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Well, I guarantee the IP argument is completely legitimate - it's the same as the 40K changes (Astra Militarum, etc.)

That being said, at least you can rationalize it in AoS with the time shift, unlike the seemingly overnight 40K shift.

Also, GW actually seems to be making legitimate "new" races, so the name changes there are completely justified (Idoneth, Kharadron, etc.) I'm still not find of some of the names (Orruks) but I can live with it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Shadin posted:

That’s what I thought. I’ve never seen a credible source for the IP theory and since GW themselves keep using the old names where thematically appropriate and reprint Old World novels I feel like it’s just internet nerd hate-theorying.

There's some truth to the IP stuff. Part of the fallout of the Chapterhouse case was that although GW won overall, a bunch of the stuff they claimed as 'their' IP was deemed too generic to count. So like Chapterhouse selling Salamanders shoulderpads aping the GW designs and pictured on GW models was infringement, because Salamnders iconography is specific enough, but 'space marines' was way too broad a category for them to try and claim.

Using the old names for stuff occasionally or reprinting old books (which are independently protected by copyright) doesn't change that.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Shadin posted:

imagine being this naive

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

imagine being this naive

Considering no one has any real information and they haven’t gained anything with the new AoS names other than the appearance of thousands of years passing then really it’s a stupid conspiracy theory hth.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Thanks for the feedback folks, make a few tweaks and I think he's done.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
The black eyes make that guy far creepier than he was already. Looks awesome.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe someone else made the "Guillermo del Toro" reference, but I second it. Look good!

EDIT: Though I dunno about stabbing books. I've just been reading them. Maybe I'm wrong.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LordAba posted:

I believe someone else made the "Guillermo del Toro" reference, but I second it. Look good!

EDIT: Though I dunno about stabbing books. I've just been reading them. Maybe I'm wrong.

Look, one of you is magic and the other isn’t

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

LordAba posted:

Though I dunno about stabbing books. I've just been reading them. Maybe I'm wrong.

It’s like audiobooks for sorcerers.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Heck yeah, my ebay coupon fueled purchases came earlier than expected. Now to decide if I want the starter box or just the rulebook.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I got some locals to give AoS a try with the new edition coming out and decided I needed ghosts in my life so I started a small Nighthaunt force. Got my Keldrick and Spirithosts painted and just finished painting my Mourngul. Its my first time using Blood for the Blood God and I'm not sure I totally like how it turned out but at least I didn't ruin it I think.

I ordered a Hirstarts cemetery mold to try and knock out some thematic scenery and hopefully have some done for when the new starter set is out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shadin posted:

Considering no one has any real information and they haven’t gained anything with the new AoS names other than the appearance of thousands of years passing then really it’s a stupid conspiracy theory hth.

Didn’t, the last time this discussion started, someone look it up and discover that GW haven’t actually filed any copyrights for the new names? It could very well be SEO focused changes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Chance II posted:

I got some locals to give AoS a try with the new edition coming out and decided I needed ghosts in my life so I started a small Nighthaunt force. Got my Keldrick and Spirithosts painted and just finished painting my Mourngul. Its my first time using Blood for the Blood God and I'm not sure I totally like how it turned out but at least I didn't ruin it I think.

I ordered a Hirstarts cemetery mold to try and knock out some thematic scenery and hopefully have some done for when the new starter set is out.

That thing is horrific in the best way possible. Well done!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm prototyping some Allegiance abilities and stuff for Tomb Kings so people can use their third party Egyptian skeleton models. They'd use the compendium stuff with some tweaks for balance. Anyone interested?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Deleter posted:

I'm prototyping some Allegiance abilities and stuff for Tomb Kings so people can use their third party Egyptian skeleton models. They'd use the compendium stuff with some tweaks for balance. Anyone interested?

Have you seen the fan Khemri book that's already out there?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I have not and should look that up!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Finished my mawkrusha, not my most favorite model to paint. Lots of hard to get nooks and crannies. I'm doing a stoneskulls theme

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Still looks cool.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Some amazing models posted this page. Nice work everyone. Starter set same price as Dark Imperium and Malign Sorcery same cost as a start collecting box, according to today’s preorder article on the community site.

I’ll probably get the core rulebook for now. Malign Sorcery comes in four different coloured sprues so you can use them straight away which is a nice touch, but I don’t play enough to justify it and when I do, it’s typically multiplayer, so endless spells would be all sorts of fun and insane for our Age of Chill group. Hmm, might have just talked myself into it. Need the GHB book too I guess for Disciples of Tzeentch.

I’m somewhat hoping new 40K Ork models don’t drop until later in the year, separate from the Codex as otherwise it’s going to be an expensive few months.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Deleter posted:

I have not and should look that up!

Sorry - I should have posted a link: http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2017/03/the-unofficial-tomb-kings-battletome.html?m=1

He's working on the Warhammer community page, and as such, I don't know if he would be forbidden from making the AoS 2 changes that would be required...

Though, as professional as his PDF looks, they need to hire him full time.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
The past three kits I've gotten have been missing bases and while they're easy enough to get replaced it's kind of annoying at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I bought another Blightwar set for the Plague Bearers because it worked out to be cheaper than buying a SC! set for the Nurgle stuff.

I know AoS2 is around the corner and things are subject to change, but has anyone seen 9 Blight Drones in a list? The max I've seen is 6, and I'm thinking of selling the extra three I have to recoup costs (Nurglings too, since I hear they kind of suck anyway.)

• Locked thread