Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

RCarr posted:

Are the people that reach GR100+ just lunatics who spend hundreds of hours playing?

look into your heart. you know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I get 70 done then I don't even look at grifts after that. Unless there's a random goon group going on

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
I mean you basically have to farm for rifts at that point right (edit: GR100+ I mean)? Like the poster on last page I quit trying to progress at 91 (impale dh) because i felt like from there it was just grinding for primal upgrades (or ancients in most cases my gear was poo poo) and "good" rifts and i'd rather eat a bullet.

I found running rifts/ PL sessions in the powerlevelling community to be rewarding though.No pressure of increasing GR number and helping people out and being chill, it was nice.

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 9, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

RCarr posted:

Are the people that reach GR100+ just lunatics who spend hundreds of hours playing?

Yeah basically.

I just play to get guardian for the season journey, I'm also not fond of grinding augments

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

RCarr posted:

You can get close to that with Crusader without crazy augments, but onle because you add 5-10 grifts for them compared to everyone else. Basically there's a pretty hard cap at 90-95 when anything past that requires ancients, augments and eventually primals. Sure you can level faster if you want to join a guild and do endless rat runs or something, but the higher up paragon grinding meta always bored me so I don't bother. I don't want to spend half my time in a season playing a class in a way I don't enjoy so I can be 3 greater rifts higher after 100+ hours.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
100+ is a lot of paragon levels and then fishing for the perfect rift.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The game basically ends at GR70 yes, unless you want to lock yourself into more and more "optimal" builds and play the +0.1% upgrade game to infinity and beyond.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I never fish for rifts on my bell monk when I go 100+. I'll generally try to reach for a 100 as fast as I can for the first cew runs just to get my equipped gems to 101. Then I grind up the gear while just playing regularly to be able to always clear a 100 within the time limit no matter the layout/rg. While grinding I'll do the occasional 100 just to see how I am progressing.

That said, once I've cleared a 100 for the first time in a season I loose a lot of the drive for consistent play because augment farming is poo poo.

But this season I should have a semi-reliable rat group so maybe it won't be so bad.

Bell monk, depending on gear, needs about ~1050-1200 paragon to never fish a 100, just for point of reference, if any of you new guys were curious on a benchmark.

Edit: lol, I stopped season 13 at exactly 1k paragon and it only converted over to 482 levels off season.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 9, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

George posted:

Man, I may come back and do a condemn build if it's viable again.

Nothing is changing this season and Condemn was the best build of last season. You even get Akkhan's as your gift set.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RCarr posted:

GR100 solo isn't too hard for most classes if you know what you're doing and have played D3 on and off for six years.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So i played bell monk last season and I’m messing around with a non seasonal barbarian. I got PLed to 70 and I’m just useless. What skills should I be using and what am I looking for in equipment?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What build are you trying to gear towards? Pretty mich every Barbarian build is a viable build so you just need to pock one and gear towards it.

In the interim, you can just grab the Fresh 70 Build from Icy-veins to get you going while farming gear drops.

Alternatively you can blitz higher level content on your monk and then gamble and upgrades rares into your gear. And you'll net more paragon for your troubles, too.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Nothing is changing this season and Condemn was the best build of last season. You even get Akkhan's as your gift set.

The problem is that condemn is a solo build. I've not really managed to come up with any cool group builds for a crusader.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

The problem is that condemn is a solo build. I've not really managed to come up with any cool group builds for a crusader.

I mean Condemn is some of the best damage and its AoE, just group with a zMonk to group up enemies for you, unless you are seriously trying to crack the leaderboards you don't need some involved meta builds.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tahirovic posted:

Change a skill to horse.

Oh, and it turns out that the thorns build for speed clearing uses Akkhan's too (with very specific rolls).

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

:siren:Just a Seasonal Reminder for everyone: don't complete the new Challenge Rift today.:siren:

Wait until after the Season begins on Friday so that you can start off the season with a nice boost. The new CR should be a Necro one, and should be available around 5pm ET.

Kms2
Feb 26, 2017

ImSippinTeaInYoHood

I play on shitty Vanilla WoW servers
I got to rift level 31 once.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kms2 posted:

I got to rift level 31 once.

I just started up again on a whim after 8 or 9 months away. The monk I had been playing was wearing some shenlongs death breath farming build that was having a tough time at T8. He did have all the gear for Uliana's, though no ancients, and ~20-30 minutes later went from highest rift 37 to highest rift 67.

The power creep is real.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm going to be a Wizard this season and he will be great!!

Don't forget the usual trick of doing the challenge rift on Friday, and crafting a level 70 yellow weapon and rerolling "reduce level requirement by ___" so you can FLY through levels 45 to 70

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't forget the usual trick of doing the challenge rift on Friday, and crafting a level 70 yellow weapon and rerolling "reduce level requirement by ___" so you can FLY through levels 45 to 70

And by fly through levels 45 to 70, you mean get poo poo rolls and run out of bounty cache gold with only a "reduce by 15" weapon out of it?

:suicide:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jan posted:

And by fly through levels 45 to 70, you mean get poo poo rolls and run out of bounty cache gold with only a "reduce by 15" weapon out of it?

:suicide:

No, I don't!

1. Make sure your weapon has a crowd control secondary (stun, freeze, etc.), and Roll the OTHER secondary so that Reduce Level Requirement is one of 5 possible rolls rather than one of like 100+
2. Salvage it and make a new yellow as soon as soon as you've rolled it 5x. Making new yellows is cheap, rerolling something for $100,000 is not
3. If you're having thoughts of suicide, please call a hot line. Any hotline really, there's a lot out there that make life worth living

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah the gold cost on enchanting is exponential so you gotta try a different weapon if it's not working

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
And I do this with the CR character? Can I even play a Necro CR if i didn't get the DLC?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Maha posted:

And I do this with the CR character? Can I even play a Necro CR if i didn't get the DLC?

Wait for Friday when the season goes live

1. Make your seasonal character
2. Change modes to Challenge Rift and beat the challenge rift
3. Get back on your seasonal character and claim the challenge rift reward from the reward box next to the nephalem rift guy

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

mewse posted:

Yeah the gold cost on enchanting is exponential so you gotta try a different weapon if it's not working

I never let it go past 100k, and only rolled items that already had a resist stat, still didn't get a better level reduction than 15.

RNG is a fickle mistress.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Good news: the NA challenge rift is incredibly easy. I went in to check it out and was 1m ahead of the time just exploring, skipping elites, and not popping the Conduit or Power pylons on floor 1. It's a Rathma pet build with skeletons, golem, mages, and an ancient weapon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do you get to do necro CRs w/o owning the DLC? I'm guessing no?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Rinkles posted:

Do you get to do necro CRs w/o owning the DLC? I'm guessing no?

You guessed wrong, idiot!

You can even progress many of the Necro Achievements/Trophies during Necro Challenge Rifts if you don't own the necro pack

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You guessed wrong, idiot!

You can even progress many of the Necro Achievements/Trophies during Necro Challenge Rifts if you don't own the necro pack

Even Achievements!? :wow:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

way to stick it to the man

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

So now I'm able to do the season start :neckbeard: and decided on a Necro despite earlier posts.

Gambling at season start there are a few options.
1. Gloves for the Grasps of Essense (good chance, only 1 option in the pool at this point)
2. Leorics crown for EXP (good chance, only 1 option in the pool at this point)
3. Circle of Nailuj Evol (30-40% chance)
4. Corpse Whisperer pauldrons at lvl 30 exactly, since another item is available at 31 (still only like 40% chance). These are good to cube for the Haedrig's gift set.

I think I'll go with option #1 and try to save shards for #4 and see if I can get lucky. During last season our group had probably 3-4 leorics drops anyway. Another option that might be slightly slower is getting the cube and upgrading rings to get the guaranteed mage ring, but :effort: I think you get enough DBs for that from the CR reward, but I can't remember exactly.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Gambling for a Leoric's Crown feels weird because you can just go get one from Leoric a little later on. I'm not sure that the experience bonus from doing so actually pays off by the time you hit 70, but it'll accelerate the slower, less exciting levels, at least.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Who plays campaign mode during seasons!?

Wizard has no good level 1 blood gamble options so I'll just nab the Leoric Crown

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You're guaranteed Leoric's Crown whenbyou beat him in the campaign and it doesn't take that long to reach the Skeleton King.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Interesting. Levels 50 to 70 are actually faster now (due to the level 70 weapon reroll trick) than 1 to 49 so I wonder if that's still worth it.

But again, wizard has no good options at all until like level 33 when there's delsere belt (1 in 6) or mantle of channeling (1 in 4)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If you go through the process of having a challenge rift reward ready when the season starts, you can strip the legendary powerbdrom Leoric's Crown right away and you don't have to wear it. It's also a aolid power to have for many builds.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's the earliest helmet with socket you can get by like 30+ levels though, right?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
blood rolls for barbs should be bracers so you can get the first men or boulder throwing ones? or is there a better level 1 option

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

LordAdakos posted:

blood rolls for barbs should be bracers so you can get the first men or boulder throwing ones? or is there a better level 1 option

Guaranteed Lut Socks are kinda fun, although leapquake isn't the Haedrig set this season.

Bracers are a great choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
I'm also curious about WD gambling strats, if anyone has anything planned.