Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dooguk posted:

Crobear is going to have a fit when he sees that.

doesn't have Wompas

would not bang

:smug:

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thoatse posted:

doesn't have Wompas

would not bang

:smug:

e:

Dont doxx Kayak.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
TWITCH: EA Play

They just finished a co-op play of Unravel 2. Looked really lovely.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Well, this is bold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSopyK83iuY

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
It's good to lower those expectations early. That way when performance is still really bad in 3.3 the cult can tell people only idiots expected Bind Culling/container streaming to fix things.

Yes the dev is being honest, but that's not how it will be sold until after 3.3

You want to summarize. I don't watch these anymore. Or was it just the play on the title you did.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 9, 2018

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Drunk Theory posted:

I would give a 50/50 chance that the Dev will be undercut by Lando in the coming days and guide the narrative back to "Jesus Culling patch will make eveything run like buttah."

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Golli posted:

I would give a 50/50 chance that the Dev will be undercut by Lando in the coming days and guide the narrative back to "Jesus Culling patch will make eveything run like buttah."

The dev is in the details

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

The umbrella is blind culling

https://i.imgur.com/jfSGnkp.gifv

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Meanwhile, mining in other space games seems to be coming along well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/8pt1h0/lavecon_panel_beyond_q4_sneak_peeks_qa_quick_notes/

quote:

Mining - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/271209822?t=00h01m52s

New in-ring scanning mechanism to work out which asteroids are valuable and what they contain.

New asteroid looks (eyeballing opportunities?).

Sometimes you'll use traditional mining laser and strip the surface.

Some will have fragile resources on surfaces. New technique used.

Sometimes just below the surface. New tools and equipment.

Giant, high risk, asteroid which needs to be cracked open. Structural weakness and fissures. Placing charges on weak points to shatter the big gold rush asteroids (need to figure out how many is right number [?]). Prospector limpet will give you the info to do this.

Can do as multicrew. (Maybe one is figuring out charge placements, while one gets the fragile surface stuff pre-explosion, while another prospects for the next rock).

Should be skill based. IE expected threats for most part. Some less expected threats = maybe this one is dusty and will lower visibility, maybe you missed a toxic aspect, maybe this one is just really volatile and will blow up almost immediately. A lot of danger, but 'expectable' danger which you can mitigate to some degree. Very risky for first-timers though.

New poss discoveries (& threats...?) in more unexplored areas.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Today I checked on the progress of the procedural birds

10/10 Star Citizen is Great Again

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Gosh. That sure does sound a lot like what SC was planning, instead of the stupid golf swing they're putting in.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Look at the amazingly bad state SQ42 is in:

quote:

"Vanduul AI progress is also continuing along in the prototype phase. Regarding Vanduul combat, a lot of work was done to previz the way they fight.

What!? Prototyping, pre-viz stage?

quote:

The team also made some important strides on the Vanduul animation, creating a behavior set to provide a visual guide on how they will move and operate in Squadron 42.

Oh good, more concepts

quote:

The emphasis was to make them as different from Humans as possible, so players have a completely different experience when fighting the Vanduul. The team is happy with the current results and are approaching full production for the Vanduul enemies. They also collaborated with other teams to get the Vanduul fully functional and ready for motion capture."

They showed off a rebooted Vanduul model in December of 2016, how can they have gone 18 months and it not have any animations, AI or in-game functionality?

I think they rebooted SQ42 again, since the start of 2017. Like, remember when they showed the Driller and how it was the first of their new artstyle for the Vanduul ships, and then they never showed any of the others? I think they started talking about how the Vanduul artstyle has changed again recently so are probably redoing everything for the second time.

RubberJohnny fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 9, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

It's good to lower those expectations early. That way when performance is still really bad in 3.3 the cult can tell people only idiots expected Bind Culling/container streaming to fix things.

You want to summarize. I don't watch these anymore. Or was it just the play on the title you did.

ATV Highlight reel:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

RubberJohnny posted:

Look at the amazingly bad state SQ42 is in:

What!? Prototyping, pre-viz stage?

Oh good, more concepts

They showed off a rebooted Vanduul model in December of 2016, how can they have gone 18 months and it not have any animations, AI or in-game functionality?

I think they rebooted SQ42 again, since the start of 2017. Like, remember when they showed the Driller and how it was the first of their new artstyle for the Vanduul ships, and then they never showed any of the others? I think they started talking about how the Vanduul artstyle has changed again.

Don't forget that we were laughing at the December 2016 stuff because the game was already two years late and they were talking about how that stuff was a prototype as well. Glad to see they haven't actually moved beyond a prototype almost two years later/approaching 4 years late.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Can go along way

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Frank_Leroux posted:

I do love to see some respect thrown in 'Starflight's' direction. I still remember the creeping dread as I uncovered the horrible secret behind star travel, and how it cast everything I'd done previously in a very dark light. To this day, the only other game that's given me a similar gut-punch is Knights of The Old Republic .

I played it on the Genesis, and I'll never, ever forget being utterly terrified by my first Uhlek encounter.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

"Lieutenant, sharpen.. and brighten... that picture."

"Captain you've done it! Now we can read the note inside the wallet inside the suspects purse!"

*pats the lieutenant on the shoulder while chewing on a cigar stub* "Its alright lieutenant, some day these powers of computer technologies will be yours too."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

You’re actually right about that Grimcreaper.

I had a little block of text I pulled about Frontier doing a Starflight reboot (or similar) if Bethesda isn’t doing that with Starfield. But I’d frankly trust Bethesda to figure out how to do a passable space exploration facsimile while in a space RPG setting over Frontier figuring out how to make a fun Space RPG though in their inarguably great space exploration engine. Too many mathletes and astronomers, not enough funlovers and storytellers there.

It still amazes me that Starflight came out only two years after Elite did. Decades later it still towers over Elite and Wing Commander and most else that came after for what it achieved in the constraints of its day. But when I recall how finding habitable planets or mining resources factored in to the original (boring though it looks in hindsight) and then I see images like the one I dropped in the thread, I think “that’s beautiful — it’d be great in a Starflight style game...”

<3

Yeah.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DapperDon posted:

I like to imagine that he sees all the new things that his team can never pull off and realizes each and every day that passes that his game is getting more and more dated to the point that he will never catch up.

I have this looming suspicion that about 1 1/2 years ago Roberts stopped caring about the actual condition of the game. It's just a money machine at this point. Erin may still care, but I don't know or care really.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tokamak posted:

IIRC Shatner's twitter is managed by a 4channer. Still funny though.

It's actually run by his daughter, Melanie.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Good news ladies and gents. My secret contact at cig Frontier sent me version 4 of those photos. Don't let it slip out.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I remind everyone that Ben claimed two years ago to have played through the entirety of Squadron 42.
How this was possible without models or AI (both flight and on foot) is unknown.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I remind everyone that Ben claimed two years ago to have played through the entirety of Squadron 42.
How this was possible without models or AI (both flight and on foot) is unknown.

It was SQ 42.0, not 42.3.2 where we are at now

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

I see nobody sat down with you and told you the news. I am sorry to have to be the one that tells you this. But it has been revealed that Ben actually lies. Yes. I know this is very sudden and there was not a lot of time to try and ease this into the conversation but it is true. Go with God my friend.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

They put a splash screen wrapper around the CoD: Infinity War exe and told Ben it was SQ42.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

happyhippy posted:

They put a splash screen wrapper around the CoD: Infinity War exe and told Ben it was SQ42.

:lol::lol::lol:

In unrelated news, Erris makes the case that games take time and so complaints about dates are invalid.

He also is suffering mightily from CIG leadership withdrawal. (“Where is Tony Z?! Where is Erin?! Where is Chris?!”)

Good question.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 9, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/2OxzmrF.gifv

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Let me guess, it contains just a single question:

"Will you give us more money? Please!"

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Agony Aunt posted:

Let me guess, it contains just a single question:

"Will you give us more money? Please!"

Close, it is mostly questions of did you see ad for new ship, did you buy new ship? Did you buy fake money recently? Rate which you would like to buy questions.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Drunk Theory posted:

Close, it is mostly questions of did you see ad for new ship, did you buy new ship? Did you buy fake money recently? Rate which you would like to buy questions.

Nice setup for the "We surveyed the backers and they overwhelmingly told us that they want us to sell more ships!" talking point.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Frank_Leroux posted:

I do love to see some respect thrown in 'Starflight's' direction. I still remember the creeping dread as I uncovered the horrible secret behind star travel, and how it cast everything I'd done previously in a very dark light. To this day, the only other game that's given me a similar gut-punch is Knights of The Old Republic .
I don't care if this is a couple pages back I just wanna agree.

Funny thing is Mass Effect tried to ape the Star Flight / Star Control 2 revelations (I think the former informed the latter) and failed so loving hard.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

DapperDon posted:

I see nobody sat down with you and told you the news. I am sorry to have to be the one that tells you this. But it has been revealed that Ben actually lies. Yes. I know this is very sudden and there was not a lot of time to try and ease this into the conversation but it is true. Go with God my friend.

You have shattered my illusions. Is it... Could it be.... Is there the slightest possibility that.... Star Citizen might maybe be... Not good?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Golli posted:

Nice setup for the "We surveyed the backers and they overwhelmingly told us that they want us to sell more ships!" talking point.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

In true Crobblers fashion, I am reaching for the stars and making beef wellington tonight.

Will it explode in my face, making me a laughingstock?

Will nerds give me 2 billion dollars for it?

Only time will tell...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I remind you that Ben literally chased off and banned people from the CIC forums for criticizing the Wing Commander movie and the execrable Wing Commander Arena.

In short, he's always been full of poo poo.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Easy:

The entirety of squadron 42 amounts to nothing.
Ben played through all of nothing.

Stupid goonie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Timby posted:

I remind you that Ben literally chased off and banned people from the CIC forums for criticizing the Wing Commander movie and the execrable Wing Commander Arena.

In short, he's always been full of poo poo.

Yeah, also don't forget that whenever anyone would mention how good Freespace 2 was or recommend it he would lose his mind because he thought Crobbler's 4th or 5th lovely cinematic cutscene game was a masterpiece instead so he would rant at length about how lovely and awful Freespace 2 was.

Not only did he have no qualifications to work for CIG other than slapfighting on the internet he is also terminally retarded and can't recognize a good space sim.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 9, 2018