Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Unlucky7 posted:

I tried the game a week ago as a Dragon Knight, and I honestly did not like the combat at all; Like there was not really any impact to it. Honestly, that was kind of a problem in Skyrim too and I probably should not expect 'fun' combat from an MMO of all things.

Still, are the other classes more enjoyable to play?

Various classes and builds have differing levels of "impact," in my experience. If you use a two-hander, you're going to feel much more involved than if you go dual wielding. Somewhat un-intuitively, Sorc magic and some staves also feel very impactful (fire staves are the odd man out there, they always feel a bit ephemeral to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Are you playing in first person? I've been playing the game for like a week exclusively in first person because, hey, it's Elder Scrolls, but last night I switched it up and zoomed the camera out and the combat instantly became way more enjoyable.

I still don't think the combat is great; it's kind of MMO-lite combat with a few actiony elements, but I think it works pretty well as an MMO built to be played on the couch with a controller.

Specter1357
Mar 31, 2010
On PC could I get a guild invite? @Specter007

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Specter1357 posted:

On PC could I get a guild invite? @Specter007
Getting "Account not found". Are you on NA or EU?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Are you playing in first person? I've been playing the game for like a week exclusively in first person because, hey, it's Elder Scrolls, but last night I switched it up and zoomed the camera out and the combat instantly became way more enjoyable.

I still don't think the combat is great; it's kind of MMO-lite combat with a few actiony elements, but I think it works pretty well as an MMO built to be played on the couch with a controller.

I started like you and quickly realized that to play the game well you pretty much have to play in 3rd person with nameplates and health bars enabled. It ruins some of the atmosphere, but you’ll play more effectively.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Started having login timeouts just now on PC/NA. Anyone else got a problem?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Also playing with a controller adds a TON to the combat. Hitting controller buttons instead of number keys makes it feel like an action game, and the generous use of vibration adds a real tactile element to the combat. Blocking huge attacks jolts the controller, casting your ult has this satisfying oomph to it - it’s a small change but adds a lot. I play exclusively with a controller these days.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Also playing with a controller adds a TON to the combat.

Are doing that on pc? Hadn’t really occurred to me to try it.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I am! It’s easy as heck and you can toggle between UIs with a keypress - good for menu-heavy stuff like outfitting.

Attack binds to RT (hold for heavy) and your abilities are on Lb, Rn, X Y and B. Ult is Lb+Rb which is real satisfying to push. It feels properly Big.

The default controller UI is a bit big but you can mod it pretty easily to be smaller/cleaner.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah I've been playing with controller on PC and it works great

Are there any good controller-specific UI mods?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It's weird that I have to manually put commands on the PC for a gamepad when this game is out for consoles. I'm just so used to having keys switch on me on the fly when i play other video games.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Honestly, I feel like almost any system they could have come up with for advancing the Psijic line would have been better than this rift bullshit.

It is....tedious.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hey should i do the main last quest at 50 to get a nice weapon? or am i just going to get something better anyway and I should just get the story over with at level 34 because this poo poo is no longer level gated

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Fargin Icehole posted:

Hey should i do the main last quest at 50 to get a nice weapon? or am i just going to get something better anyway and I should just get the story over with at level 34 because this poo poo is no longer level gated

Gear continues to level until you reach CP160. 50 is nothing.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yeah you're always going to be getting something better. The big rewards are always things that aren't level specific like motifs and skill points. Basically just do it whenever you feel like.

What UI mods are people using these days? I'm still using old outdated AUI but LUI doesn't really seem much better.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Jibo posted:

Yeah you're always going to be getting something better. The big rewards are always things that aren't level specific like motifs and skill points. Basically just do it whenever you feel like.

What UI mods are people using these days? I'm still using old outdated AUI but LUI doesn't really seem much better.

I reverted back to a sort of minimal UI:
  • Azurah - To move around base game elements
  • DarkUI - To clean up the UI and make it more crisp
  • Srendarr - Buff/Debuff/AoE tracker
  • BuffTimers - So I can track essential buffs like Grim Focus/Weapon Power/Armor Buffs; Comes with notifications so I don't let them lapse, especially during raiding/PvP
  • Greyskull - Simply so I can track my current weapon/spell damage
  • JoGroup - Group frames addon
  • PChat & Wykkyd's Enhanced Chat - Chat Window Improvements
  • Info Panel - General Information bar so I don't have to open menus all the time
  • Ravalox Quest Tracker - Quest tracker

Here's my UI when I'm not raiding/pvping:

Here's what it normally looks like during a raid:

And here's how it usually looks like when in Cyrodiil/BGs:

E: I also use a custom interface scale in case anyone wonders why stuff is kinda small

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 9, 2018

Specter1357
Mar 31, 2010

Bonfire Lit posted:

Getting "Account not found". Are you on NA or EU?

I'm on NA. I'm guessing you need the character name though... sorry. Its @Specter Li

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Specter1357 posted:

I'm on NA. I'm guessing you need the character name though... sorry. Its @Specter Li

Nah we need your account name, though I think they can find you via char name as well.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Jedit posted:

Still having this issue as well. On Steam.

Specter1357
Mar 31, 2010
I figured it out. I used the letter O instead of the number 0. lol. Trying to find a name that wasn't taken was difficult. If someone can invite, its @SpecterOO7 and the O's are letters.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

Having issues as well on steam.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Iain posted:

Still having this issue as well. On Steam.

Yeah there's a Steam logon issue. Haven't been able to get on all day. :(

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Instead of logging on, let's all just touch each other.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Aramek posted:

Instead of logging on, let's all just touch each other.

Isn't that what they've been talking about, though.

Wait. What do *you* mean when you say logging on?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

People that can't get on because of steam!

Kill steam and go to "*:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client". Run eso64.exe and enter your elder scrolls account info. I had to confirm the login via email code and I'm now in game.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Is there any way to log in without Steam if I bought it through Steam? 5 hours of downtime on a Saturday is Very Cool

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I didn’t think about playing third person or with a controller. I’ll do that next time I play. Thanks!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Kill steam and go to "*:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client". Run eso64.exe and enter your elder scrolls account info. I had to confirm the login via email code and I'm now in game.

That only works for people who bought the game before 2016 or something like that. I've read that multiple times cause I've tried and it says I need to use steam to play

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Huh, as far as I know this key came from the November 2017 Humble Bundle. I played for 1 day back in beta, but I think I used a different email address.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Spare a moment for those unfortunate souls who just lost a day of login bonuses because they weren't able to get in today.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah please do not play in first person

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Oh okay, I thought it was just me and my connection. This is a sign telling me im just gonna play something else, ESO will be there

I always play in first person, except in the group dungeons, because drat man, that is way better.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

This would require that I remember what my account name and password is though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Fashion really is the endgame

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

drat, you a fine-gonian.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How do I access that Twitch extension to get my wolf and crates?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Berke Negri posted:

yeah please do not play in first person

Are you a loving Khajiit or something?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

First person is good for looting piles of jars. Nothing else.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I occasionally go first person for atmosphere but any real gameplay I go third person.

It's a shame because it's the biggest thing that makes ESO feel not like a true elder scrolls game to me but really, it's necessary for the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Fashion really is the endgame

:agreed: