Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Digirat posted:

Purple should be able to go through the boss door with the host and kill the boss for a win. They’re already posing as every phantom at once, may as well let them act like a sunbro so that one might help you and isn’t incentivized to try to betray you before you get to the boss door. Plus some of them will betray during the boss fight instead, and that’s funny

Some purples are basically just reds, some are basically just whites, and some are ?????. The fact that you never know what you get when you summon a purple is already the best thing about them and they’d be even better if From had leaned into that more

Yeah, the one thing I did like about being a purple was that if I came upon like a host, a white summon, a blue and a red all duking it out I could decide pretty much who and how I wanted to gently caress up to fulfill my objective.

If there was an equivalent of that for PvE content for purples it would be way better. Being able to betray people during the boss fight would probably be a bit much and would almost always be the best possible route for a purple, so they wouldn't get summoned still, but the Mound Makers were a really cool idea and have led to some of my favourite PvP moments in the entire series, so it's a shame they haven't quite been fully realized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Digirat posted:

Purple should be able to go through the boss door with the host and kill the boss for a win. They’re already posing as every phantom at once, may as well let them act like a sunbro so that one might help you and isn’t incentivized to try to betray you before you get to the boss door. Plus some of them will betray during the boss fight instead, and that’s funny

Some purples are basically just reds, some are basically just whites, and some are ?????. The fact that you never know what you get when you summon a purple is already the best thing about them and they’d be even better if From had leaned into that more

Honestly I think this should be the case even when Purples invade. Forced co-op (with optional betrayal) would be hilarious.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh yeah I’m not saying there should be a distinction at all. Invading as a purple is already exactly the same as summoning one as far as I know. Surprise, here’s your new “friend”(?)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You shouldn't be able to kill / hurt the host during a bossfight, getting to the fog door is the one thing that should make the host 100% safe. That's their win condition.

Purples going in and then sitting back emoting sarcastically while the host has to fight alone would be funny though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Digirat posted:

Oh yeah I’m not saying there should be a distinction at all. Invading as a purple is already exactly the same as summoning one as far as I know. Surprise, here’s your new “friend”(?)

It isn’t. If you invade you can’t hurt enemies and they can’t hurt you, just like normal invasions.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah summoning purples feels sadly undercooked. Since they cannot help with the boss, when summoning you know that unless you manage to get invaded twice, your relationship will 100% end in a fight even if you make it all the way to the fog door. It'd be much more interesting if the threat of violence wasn't guaranteed.

I suppose you could summon some co-oppers at the fog gate as food for the purple but that's going to be really hard to communicate.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've occasionally summoned a purple after I got invaded by someone else (red or watchdogs) for funsies but most people are going to summon whites/golds.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Quick dumb question. Can you parry a parry into a riposte?

Probably a mix of me being salty an lag/latency but I had an instance of an invader doing this. As follows I swung a deamon scar r1 into the dude, then did a full parry with cestus an the animation just about finished. His shield parry comes out an I'm knocked off guard with time for him to switch to a dagger an blow me out for 1k+ of dmg.

Likely a mix of lag an my own badness but it felt really really off as he had been fully responsive to attacks, blocks an taking dmg till that exact point.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

For_Great_Justice posted:

Quick dumb question. Can you parry a parry into a riposte?

Probably a mix of me being salty an lag/latency but I had an instance of an invader doing this. As follows I swung a deamon scar r1 into the dude, then did a full parry with cestus an the animation just about finished. His shield parry comes out an I'm knocked off guard with time for him to switch to a dagger an blow me out for 1k+ of dmg.

Likely a mix of lag an my own badness but it felt really really off as he had been fully responsive to attacks, blocks an taking dmg till that exact point.

Sounds like lag

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

spaceships posted:

knight class (sl29)
20 vigor (25 prisoner's chain)
13 endurance (18 prisoner's chain)
16 vit (21 prisoner's chain)
14 str (19 knight's ring)
20 dex (25 hunter's ring)
rof+3, prisoner's chain, hunter's ring, knight's ring
old wolf curved sword +1 in your left hand and always unequipped and on your back
sharp sellsword twinblades +3 in your right hand and dual wield these.

the old wolf curved sword has built in pontiff rings as its passive, so each consecutive hit both boosts damage and recovers hp. having it on your back means the passive transfers to the sellsword twinblades, which has faster and more attacks, allowing you to quickly ramp up damage and lifesteal and essentially just burn through whoever you're facing.

e: it's really, really dirty

hey im trying this build out and it seems pretty sweet, need to get the pontiff ring to really make it sing yet

whats the most efficient attack chain with the twinblades, does L1 spam count as a double hit?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

nopantsjack posted:

hey im trying this build out and it seems pretty sweet, need to get the pontiff ring to really make it sing yet

whats the most efficient attack chain with the twinblades, does L1 spam count as a double hit?

Weapon art my friend.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Also if you hadn't noticed yet, the Pontiff Eye and OWCS procs aren't the same number of hits. Once you start proccing, you want to keep hitting as much as possible. Thankfully the build gives you the regen to be greedy sometimes.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

nopantsjack posted:

I like using L1 L2 R2. The L2 can't be parried btw, which is handy since once someone sees the twinblades they instantly want to parry them.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

nopantsjack posted:

L1-L2-L1. (not the full weapon art, instead keep comboing back into the L1). The kick flip slash thing instead of shield break on the curved swords (and rapiers) are also good at the end of combos to give you 1: space 2: infinite poise (you can "kick" backwards and poise-backstab slower weapons this way too)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

asio posted:

L1-L2-L1. (not the full weapon art, instead keep comboing back into the L1). The kick flip slash thing instead of shield break on the curved swords (and rapiers) are also good at the end of combos to give you 1: space 2: infinite poise (you can "kick" backwards and poise-backstab slower weapons this way too)

does the backflip replace the kick? I accidentally did that against a lothric knight and confused myself lol

I quite like these constantly attacking builds, reminds me of the bandit knife bleed build I posted about a page or two back

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

does the backflip replace the kick? I accidentally did that against a lothric knight and confused myself lol

Yeah. Most curved swords get a backflip and slash rather than the guard-break push-kick.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah. Most curved swords get a backflip and slash rather than the guard-break push-kick.

Something I haven't tested. Curved sword off hand. Does tapping forward + L1 give you a slash/backflip?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Something I haven't tested. Curved sword off hand. Does tapping forward + L1 give you a slash/backflip?

I don't think so.

Also, right now there's a guy cosplaying as Maldron in the Catacombs of Carthus as 'Good Guy Maldron'; a purple phantom. Going to summon him for sure.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I have never been so loving unhappy at the summoning failed message.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Is there any way to guard break with them then? That's the only issue Iv noticed so far

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

AlternateNu posted:

Depends on the sword but IIRC only a few curved swords actually have the kick. MOST have the backflip instead.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

Is there any way to guard break with them then? That's the only issue Iv noticed so far

Some in 3 actually do have the kick; like the Carthus Curved Sword and a few others, but no with the flip and slash ones the trade-off is that you kind of have to rely on either hit and run, waiting for openings or just spamming R1 (intelligently) to break people's guards.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Also leap attacks don't clank and are good for guard breaking, so use them.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, leap attacks are good for PvE guard-breaking as well, I'm not sure if two-handing helps with how much stamina they reduce and I hate using them in PvP, but they can be very useful.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dan Didio posted:

Some in 3 actually do have the kick; like the Carthus Curved Sword and a few others, but no with the flip and slash ones the trade-off is that you kind of have to rely on either hit and run, waiting for openings or just spamming R1 (intelligently) to break people's guards.

The Carthus Curved Sword is a curved greatsword, not a curved sword. Different baseline movesets.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
Using the Exile Greatsword, I've noticed that it just sort of cuts through the guard of enemies with shields.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

The Carthus Curved Sword is a curved greatsword, not a curved sword. Different baseline movesets.

Nope. The Carthus Curved Sword and the Falchion are both curved swords, but they have a different moveset that includes the kick. There is a Carthus Curved Greatsword, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You can always just swap the sword out of your hand, kick, and swap back.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dan Didio posted:

Nope. The Carthus Curved Sword and the Falchion are both curved swords, but they have a different moveset that includes the kick. There is a Carthus Curved Greatsword, though.

Derp. That’s right. Ignore me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

nopantsjack posted:

Honestly curved swords are are decent at shield pressure just from repeated r1s

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Derp. That’s right. Ignore me.

Don't sweat it. It's a big sword and the whole thing about is that it's big and heavy. The only reason I didn't think it counted as a Curved Greatsword is because I'm using one on my current run. I literally looted it just before I read your post.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

How is the population? Got through my second run on DS remastered and I still have the souls itch.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

Jove Tone posted:

How is the population? Got through my second run on DS remastered and I still have the souls itch.

About 8,000 right now on PC, pretty healthy population. I'd imagine it's similar on consoles

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yep, consistent summons and invasions, even with a little weapon level matchmaker above the recommended for mid-game areas on PS4.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

nopantsjack posted:

I quite like these constantly attacking builds, reminds me of the bandit knife bleed build I posted about a page or two back

Yeh as has been said it replaces the guard break. The move is more aggressive, because while you can be staggered out of a kick, the backflip has been blessed by the rarely-seen omnipresent poise mechanic. This makes backstabs easier.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Jove Tone posted:

Its good. If you dont have this game yet, go get it skeleton!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I never beat this on release and coming back I am so incredibly bad at Souls games now. Any suggestions for a build especially good for terrible players?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you get a greatshield you can block with that a lot and not rely on dodging.
If you can kill Eygon of Carim(the armored guy who hangs out with the lady you find in a cell in undead settlement) you can get a greatshield off him pretty early, but it takes huge str to wield. Curse ward greatshield also becomes available pretty early.

If you get 18 int you can also cast great magic shield later which makes your stability so high that blocking with most shields won't even reduce your stamina at all.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Eagle shield is in the swamp and it's the lightest greatshield. It won't tank like Eygon's shield but it's light, has easy wield reqs, and has all of the training wheels benefits of greatshields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I just noticed I've played over 640 hours of Souls games. I haven't even played Bloodborne. What the hell.