Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wonder how many auto workers GM, Ford, and Chrysler-Fiat are going to have to lay off.

The best part is that the German and Japanese manufacturers' US operations will be largely unaffected.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just think of all those quality Russian products I could be buying if we had better deals.

I can't either.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Trudeau's been calling Trump out for the past couple of weeks, I don’t think he was mild this weekend. Maybe trump just isn’t used to politeness.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

Wonder how many auto workers GM, Ford, and Chrysler-Fiat are going to have to lay off.

The best part is that the German and Japanese manufacturers US operations will be largely unaffected.

He's banning German luxury vehicles too remember. Don't know how that's gonna work but he said it

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

He's banning German luxury vehicles too remember. Don't know how that's gonna work but he said it

Most German luxury cars are based on the popular platforms that are already produced to some extent at their factories in the states. It wouldn't be hard to shift production.

The problem is that this will probably create 1000 more jobs, versus the tens or maybe even hundreds of thousands (when you include suppliers) that would be lost if he does away with the auto import duty exemptions. And this is to say nothing of the ripple effect that the decreased sale of new cars will have on the rest of the economy, such as dealerships, transportation, and financing companies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Roving gangs of unemployed coal miners smashing up Audis

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

The problem is half of this country thinks he's doing a fantastic job and he can do no wrong

More like 20-25%. Half this country can't be bothered to vote, give a poo poo, etc. Not saying you're wrong otherwise, and it's 20-25% too many, but the 'average' american doesn't even vote.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Gaah I'm always mixing those two up

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

That Works posted:

More like 20-25%. Half this country can't be bothered to vote, give a poo poo, etc. Not saying you're wrong otherwise, and it's 20-25% too many, but the 'average' american doesn't even vote.

"Talking politics is rude and should never be done in public"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

"Talking politics is rude and should never be done in public"

Americans (and Australians who drive a GM or Ford) can't have a disagreement without taking it personally.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That Works posted:

"Born Again" / "God-fearing" Christians as well. I sent my mom a tiny golden calf for christmas this year. She did not find it funny.

Oh my god I am ordering up a container load of llittle 2" gold plated plastic calf figurines with Trump hair and retiring

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Aside from Trump's continuous undercutting of his own obviously false rationale, how does Canada get away with 270% dairy tariffs? Why is it an outrage that we'd retaliate but not that they put them in place?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Aside from Trump's continuous undercutting of his own obviously false rationale, how does Canada get away with 270% dairy tariffs? Why is it an outrage that we'd retaliate but not that they put them in place?

https://www.realagriculture.com/2018/02/u-s-dairy-subsidies-equal-73-percent-of-producer-returns-says-new-report/

also american farms use growth hormones and that poo poo isnt allowed in canada

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Haven't growth hormones been outlawed for like 20 years now.

e: You're right. Apparently it's still used for dairy cows in the US.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Here is a better explainer:

https://www.quesnelobserver.com/opinion/letter-protect-canadian-dairy-farms/

quote:

It is the very fact that the U.S. dairy industry does not have a supply management system like Canada’s excellent one that their dairy farmers suffer at the mercy of their unregulated system and regularly go through boom and bust cycles. And why they are looking north of the border to sell their surplus products.

Canada is one of the few, if not the only, countries in the world that had the foresight to regulate the production of milk. We used to have oversupply, like the U.S. has, and learned that regulating the industry was better than costly, long-term storage facilities paid for by taxpayers. In 1973, farmers, after joint consultation with the government, agreed that their next three years of production would henceforth determine what they would be allowed to ship on a yearly basis – called their quota. That way our dairy farmers would stand on their own two feet with assurance and dignity, and processors could count on a guaranteed supply. In other words, this was the best way to manage the supply.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

I lived through too much of the cold war to wrap my brain around a sitting president joking about a Senator of his own party for being a loser for being captured as a POW, refusing to enforce sanctions on Russia that his own party-controlled congress approved and then have the current conspiracy be 'Democrats are trying to ruin the country'.

Edit: and the whole 'every 3 letter agency has at this point mentioned that the Russians willfully interfered with our election in some way' and the current leadership has done absolutely nothing to try to prevent it from happening again for 2 years.

Like, this should be loving '7 Days in May' territory.

I've said it before but every state actor worth their salt and a decent number of non state actors are going to be flagrantly meddling in 2020.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The anti-clinton media campaign over the past 30-40 years has been extremely effective at making her toxic to more than half the population regardless of it's merit. If she was anyone else, then it would have been a landslide loss for trump.

She hit the trifecta of things the GOP base loathes, having the misfortune of being both a democrat, a Clinton and a woman. She may as well be Satan herself and to these people she is; they certainly speak about her as such.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 10, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
She also ran a horrible campaign

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hey can we stick with the point of not turning this into a clinton derail tia

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Stultus Maximus posted:

http://archive.jsonline.com/business/federal-farm-bill-overhauls-milk-pricing-system-b99194706z1-242680671.html

quote:

Wisconsin farmers say they're hopeful that a long fight over federal dairy subsidies has ended with the biggest overhaul of the milk pricing system in a generation.

Along with funding for food stamps, the overhaul was a strongly contested element of a new $956 billion farm bill passed by the House of Representatives on Wednesday.

The five-year bill, which preserves generous crop subsidies, heads to the Senate where approval seems certain. The White House said President Barack Obama would sign it.

The measure, which the House approved 251-166, had backing from the Republican leadership even though it cuts only about 1% from the $80 billion a year food stamp program.

The dairy fight largely centered on a provision that sought to limit milk production when the supply was too high. Some dairy farmers said they needed a way to balance supply and demand so they could get a reasonable price for milk and stay in business.

That's from 2014, but the current farm bill under consideration is largely the same, only that Trump thinks SNAP requirements are too loose and has threatened to veto it because of that.

NSA WIZARD
Jan 20, 2016

FOUND THE SERVER. BEEN USING IT AS A FOOTREST AND FORGOT.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

could you post hillary's deleted emails? thanks

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

could you post hillary's deleted emails? thanks

those were bleached can't get that stink off

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Self quoting, because the Onion got on this one fast.

Giuliani Says Kim Jong-Un Begged Like A Has-Been-Politician-Turned-Hack-Attorney Trying To Get A Job At The White House

quote:

“I kid you not, this guy was prepared to bow down and kiss Trump’s boots like some cigar-chomping numbskull who actually thought he had a chance at being Attorney General. I mean, the look on his face—it was like a guy who just found out he married his second cousin or got 9 percent of the vote in a Republican primary—just a total, irredeemable jackass.”

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Proud Christian Mom posted:

She also ran a horrible campaign

She may have been more correct during the debates, but she came off as insufferably smug.

https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2017/march/trump-clinton-debates-gender-reversal.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My aunt just so perfectly typifies your standard Trump voter. In two successive Facebook posts, she asserted that the NFL is full of racist thugs who are disrespecting are troupes and then turned around and posted a meme complaining about Paul Ryan and Republicans threatening Social Security and Medicaid.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1005090833740324864

hell yeah dems, lets give trump another 4 years

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

poo poo like this is why I won't register Dem.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I've honestly steeled myself inside for a second term of Trump. Two more pics for Trump in the Surpeme Court, and it'll be facilitated by young "politically active" people that jump on whichever candidate social media tells them is the best, kick and scream to the primary finish lines, and then say they can't vote for the nominee when their pick doesn't make it, because they have "principles".

I have faith in the stupidity of young people.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've honestly steeled myself inside for a second term of Trump. Two more pics for Trump in the Surpeme Court, and it'll be facilitated by young "politically active" people that jump on whichever candidate social media tells them is the best, kick and scream to the primary finish lines, and then say they can't vote for the nominee when their pick doesn't make it, because they have "principles".

Bernie would have won.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Will laugh if it's cancelled because they too got fooled by the onion

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Good because he's going to win.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 10, 2018

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

American leftists and liberals will always, always choose to fight their own, rather than go after targets in the right wing that might fight back. I want to believe it will be different in 2018/2020, but I know I'll be disappointed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If the democrats can’t beat this Republican Party they should just disband immediately.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Arc Light posted:

American leftists and liberals will always, always choose to fight their own, rather than go after targets in the right wing that might fight back. I want to believe it will be different in 2018/2020, but I know I'll be disappointed.

Democrats: hand-wringing over how maybe being meanies to conservatives and nazis will get them less support.
Also Democrats: viciously cutting each other down and accusing each other of sabotage or lack of purity

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

For people who spend an inordinate amount of time talking about how woke they are to social issues, the left has done a terrible job of framing healthcare as a human rights issue. This is really the only way they're going to shame moderate Democrats and center-right Independents into being okay with UHC. Poor white people already feel entitled enough to government money so long as they don't think black people are getting it too; Obamacare is already popular among them, so the economics argument isn't really the issue in the UHC debate.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 10, 2018

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

hell yeah dems, lets give trump another 4 years

"Single Payer" turns off way more people than "Medicare For All" and even that rapidly devolves into GOVERNMENT HEATHCARE GET OUT REEEEE to a light Republican voter.

I have no problem with that posted strategy really. 2018 is a lot of fighting in Trumper turf and there's not a very likely chance that Democrats would take both house/Senate to get single payer through anyways.

Dems need to attack the gently caress out of the preexisting condition lawsuit and Obamacare repeal attempts. Single payer is a national topic for 2020 unless the district is in the mood for the discussion and I don't think most are.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

If the democrats can’t beat this Republican Party they should just disband immediately.

Man, cole, why are you quoting my posts from 2004?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1005806958862053376

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1005807482747478016

lmao theres more

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1005809362135404546

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The new axis of evil will be the US, NK and Russia.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I woke up, saw "betrayal" a lot, with Lindsey Graham pushing an Authorization for Use of Military Force against North Korea and figured that Kim Jong Un stood up Trump.

Nope, Trump and his advisors are just bullshitting about Canada again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh we're in for the full ride. I'll admit I was one of the people saying no way before the election and calling for an impeachment by this point, but this is going all the way now.

• Locked thread