Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Nosre posted:

There's masses of whatever this is (the orange one) everywhere. I took out some to put in other things, but I'm glad to find out it is indeed decorative and was probably intentional at some point

It's a regular ol' fashioned daylily (Hemerocallis fulva) which isn't actually a lily. Also known as a tawny lily, ditch lily, or "tiger lily" (to intentionally confuse it with the actual tiger lily, Lilium lancifolium). The blooms only last for a day or two before shriveling up and falling to the ground. Everything on a daylily is edible, from the tubers that resemble little fingerling potatoes to the blooms; I'm gonna fry up a good helping of both this year. They provide excellent erosion control.

Daylily HATES competition and has no trouble displacing most natives and grasses. They're extremely hardy; I have daylily plants I dug up in February happily living soil-free in a neglected corner of my yard. Someday they'll probably break in and strangle my houseplants in retaliation. They're dead easy to divide and propogate; the tubers can be separated and planted individually, but for me this is too much work. Just chop the things up with a shovel and throw em somewhere you want lilies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Shame Boner posted:

It's a regular ol' fashioned daylily (Hemerocallis fulva) which isn't actually a lily. Also known as a tawny lily, ditch lily, or "tiger lily" (to intentionally confuse it with the actual tiger lily, Lilium lancifolium). The blooms only last for a day or two before shriveling up and falling to the ground. Everything on a daylily is edible, from the tubers that resemble little fingerling potatoes to the blooms; I'm gonna fry up a good helping of both this year. They provide excellent erosion control.

Daylily HATES competition and has no trouble displacing most natives and grasses. They're extremely hardy; I have daylily plants I dug up in February happily living soil-free in a neglected corner of my yard. Someday they'll probably break in and strangle my houseplants in retaliation. They're dead easy to divide and propogate; the tubers can be separated and planted individually, but for me this is too much work. Just chop the things up with a shovel and throw em somewhere you want lilies.
Daylily's are in the same "Ooops I blended them with the law mower and somehow they came back" category with Mint.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I used to have daylilies, but my dog ate them every time he went out into the yard, and eventually we didn't have any left. I knew already they were edible in some sort, but I guess now I know not poisonous in the slightest.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Thanks for the reminder EagerSleeper, I forgot to mention that they're not that hard to eradicate. They pull reasonably cleanly from loose soil or you can cut/break them off at the ground and mulch the area, keeping new growth under check with more of the same.

I've got a steep slope on one side of my property where I planted a few dozen daylily plants maybe 5 years back. My motive was to quickly colonize the slope with something that would smother the grass and hold the earth back, which it was great at; but now I'd rather succeed the plot with natives to the same end plus a big boost to pollinators and other beneficials.

Even Asiatic lilies aren't too toxic to dogs; they'll cause some digestive upset and maybe they'll yak or get the scoots. However, they (Lilium and Hemerocallis species) are outrageously bad for feline kidneys and even the water from a vase can be fatal.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 5, 2018

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Ugh, my parents' house used to have a beautiful bank of lily of the valley that lasted my entire childhood until I ran it over with a lawnmower one summer. Thanks for reminding me, I still feel awful about it :(:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Shoutout to Harry Potter on Ice, and other jade growers. This spring I decided to give a bit of attention to the old jade plant that has been a fixture in our North facing kitchen window for years. It was super leggy, bur had a few good trunks, so I pruned it back to one node above where it last branched, and I tried to leave one untouched branch on each trunk. I moved it to under lamps, and when new growth appeared, I started hardening it off, to move onto the patio. It's had a couple weeks outside now. Next step is to give it a bigger pot. It's pretty rootbound.

Also shown is an echiveria of some sort, and a hobbit jade. I thought they looked cool in the store. Aaand a big pot with some transplants from the front flowerbed

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

extravadanza posted:

I've got a young Bloodgood Maple in my yard (about 6ft high) that had a piece of bark, about 1 inch sq, ripped off near the base of the trunk. That was about a week ago, and since then some of the leaves on the furthest reaches, at the top of a few of the sides have started to die. I have two questions:

1) Chances that the foliage dying off is a direct result of the bark issue, or could it be something more serious?
2) Can I just apply some tree wound putty with my finger or are there other steps I should take to protect it?

I'll be buying a trunk guard to put on this tree for the future. I'm still not sure what damaged it.

Tree putty/wound sealant is not really considered good practice by arborists nowadays, at least here. The tree will compartmentalise damage by itself, sealing the wound will just trap moisture around it and encourage decay.

If the wound is deep enough it will have cut into the vascular tissue, which moves water and nutrients up to the leaves. Could well be causing a bit of stress in the foliage but I doubt it could kill the tree unless the wound wraps around a fair portion of the trunk. You'll just have to wait and let the tree seal itself up, eventually it will internalise the whole thing as the trunk thickens. Make sure it gets enough water but try not to hose over the wound.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
I posted a question about trimming monsteras to promote new growth a little while back. Cutting it back seems to promote growth! Plant is thriving again too :)

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Discomedusae posted:

Tree putty/wound sealant is not really considered good practice by arborists nowadays, at least here. The tree will compartmentalise damage by itself, sealing the wound will just trap moisture around it and encourage decay.

If the wound is deep enough it will have cut into the vascular tissue, which moves water and nutrients up to the leaves. Could well be causing a bit of stress in the foliage but I doubt it could kill the tree unless the wound wraps around a fair portion of the trunk. You'll just have to wait and let the tree seal itself up, eventually it will internalise the whole thing as the trunk thickens. Make sure it gets enough water but try not to hose over the wound.

Thanks for the info. It appears about 6 inches worth of foliage at the furthest reaches from the trunk all over the tree has died. I'm hoping that's the extent of the damage and it will bounce back next spring. It has stayed fairly dry this week in my area, so I'll give it a good soak today.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Not sure what this is but it sure does look great climbing up our pergola!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well I can tell you it's some sort of clematis.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
OOH! I have a pergola I’d love to cover in vines, does anyone know of a species that could survive in Las Vegas on the north side of a house? Hours of direct sun have killed both vines I’ve tried.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

B33rChiller posted:

Shoutout to Harry Potter on Ice, and other jade growers. This spring I decided to give a bit of attention to the old jade plant that has been a fixture in our North facing kitchen window for years. It was super leggy, bur had a few good trunks, so I pruned it back to one node above where it last branched, and I tried to leave one untouched branch on each trunk. I moved it to under lamps, and when new growth appeared, I started hardening it off, to move onto the patio. It's had a couple weeks outside now. Next step is to give it a bigger pot. It's pretty rootbound.

Also shown is an echiveria of some sort, and a hobbit jade. I thought they looked cool in the store. Aaand a big pot with some transplants from the front flowerbed

Awesome its looking super happy! Hobbit jades are awesome I'm always tempted to get one as well. The hens and chicks are doing good too, predictably. I love a good groundcover.

Look at all those baby jades down at the bottom! :stoked:

Has anyone grown an Eve's Needle cactus before? Mine is going crazy bending several inches over I think to get more sun every day, and then I rotate it and it bends the other way. I'm giving it all I can! If you ever see one of these weirdos pick it up it has been a prolific grower. I broke them into 4 from the original tiny pot it came in and they're all growing aggressively in completely different styles. I love them, definitely recommend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrocylindropuntia_subulata

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

TheDK posted:

Not sure what this is but it sure does look great climbing up our pergola!

Definitely a Clematis, there are a billion different ones but I can tell you we've got at least one that looks just like yours, it's called sunset.

Speaking of which I want to get my wife another Montana Clematis, she wants a white one. Any recommendations?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Clematis armandii is pretty cool and evergreen if you have mild winters.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
'Snow Queen' is pretty, too.

e: Oh, this is cool: https://www.gardenia.net/compare-plants/clematis

vv Yowza! vv

Hubis fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 7, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I have a Clematis Florida I'm training over a big rootwad that I'm pretty into. Only 2 flowers so far but they look gorgeous

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

How gorgeous--I'm jealous! Our clematis never took. :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Hirayuki posted:

How gorgeous--I'm jealous! Our clematis never took. :(

Clematis can be finicky for some... And rampant growers for others. Did you shade the base of the plant while letting the vines themselves get lots and lots of sun? They like that, so I hear. Clematis are so lovely, shame the name sounds so venereal.

Nelly Moser is a classic but always wows me.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Clematis are on my "as soon as I move from my apartment to a house" list - so amazing.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I made this for a customer. Idk, would you buy this/happily receive it as a gift? I think it’s pretty cute.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I made this for a customer. Idk, would you buy this/happily receive it as a gift? I think it’s pretty cute.

It looks great now so yes but it also looks like its going to get crowded. Still would be really happy to get it! Sweet little pot for the succulents, looks great with them

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Clematis can be finicky for some... And rampant growers for others. Did you shade the base of the plant while letting the vines themselves get lots and lots of sun? They like that, so I hear. Clematis are so lovely, shame the name sounds so venereal.
I didn't purposely shade their bases, no...but I think they were behind other plants that would have shaded them as they grew along the south-facing brick back wall of our garage. Maybe not! (We have peonies in there now, but maybe they came after we gave up on the clematis.) I should try again. Can you plant them in containers backed up against a post? Though it may be hard to get that shade they like. Hmm.

I have two pots of strawberries I grow just for fun--I like their flowers and leaves, and the fruit is a nice bonus--and two of the plants overwintered this year. I bought a six-pack to top them off and tuck into other container plantings, but now two of them (not both old stock) are kaput. I have no idea why! They're usually pretty set-and-forget. :sigh:
On the plus side, the chunk of ivy I accidentally pulled off while planting it has rooted nicely on my kitchen windowsill, so that might replace one of the dead strawbs in a week or so.
And my leeks, which also overwintered, are starting to put up buds. I don't really mind; I understand they'll be nice allium blooms, and I think the plants should either reseed or grow back. We're new to leeks. :)

Oh, and thanks for the rain-barrel flower recommendations. I think we'll go with lobelia, hopefully this weekend.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've never succeeded in harvesting a leek, as you say the flowers are pretty though.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Clematis can definitely be grown in large enough containers. As for providing their bases with some shade, it’s as simple as blocking off the base of the plant with anything like styrofoam, half a terra cotta pot, a rose cone... As long as their roots are shaded and heads are soaking up sun.

The customer liked the little succulent planter. /o/ \o\

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

So in theory shallow pot=short, shallow canopy? Roots match the branches?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I think there are probably a thousand exceptions to that rule. But in general, at least climbers and vines want big pots (we have honeysuckle and clematis in clay containers and they seem pretty happy).

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Probably something I should google but can you clip clematis and grow new plants? Ours has it's base under some big rear end hostas so it apparently loves it. We really like the plant and would like to have more!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a dwarf clematis that's in a fairly small pot (maybe 1' to 1.5' diameter). It sits below some stairs so that the base is shaded but the vines can climb up the side of the stairs and get sun. It's been happy like that for a couple of years. Welp that's my clematis story.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

OOH! I have a pergola I’d love to cover in vines, does anyone know of a species that could survive in Las Vegas on the north side of a house? Hours of direct sun have killed both vines I’ve tried.

You can try bougainvillea. They can be trained up any support system, and I've seen them blooming colorfully even in the pure clay, rain-less desert of the Texas-Mexico border. I still don't know how a plant that supposedly was discovered along the riversides of Central America manages to do that, but it's appreciated nonetheless.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 9, 2018

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm looking to repot my peace lily. It's been in its pot and happy for two years, but now roots are starting to grow out of the drainage hole. I'm going to repot it in a 1:1:1 mixture of peat, perlite, and bark chips. Is it safe to trim back the roots when I take it out of its current home? I'd like to keep it in the same size pot.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Hello thread! I only just now discovered you. I am curious if this would be an alright place to post about some palm trees (washingtonia robusta) I am growing? Most posts are about succulents and all, so let me know if I should go pound dirt or if there's a tree thread I'm totally overlooking.

Right now I'm in the process of germinating the seeds using some homemade incubators:

The iced tea bottles have had holes drilled in the bottom and are made up of old pots, peat moss, and succulent soil. The seeds have yet to germinate (that I can tell) but it can take a few weeks even in the right conditions. In the sun, the inside of the bottles are nice and warm and humid. I've been keeping them indoors overnight.

I'm attempting to grow these in Western Washington. Washingtonia (the irony) palms tend not to grow here and usually if you see a palm tree, it's a short trachycarpus that are more cold and wet resistant. I've heard there is a washingtonia filibusta (crossbreed of a robusta and filifera) growing near Bremerton, but I haven't gone to take a look.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

ExtraNoise posted:

Hello thread! I only just now discovered you. I am curious if this would be an alright place to post about some palm trees (washingtonia robusta) I am growing? Most posts are about succulents and all, so let me know if I should go pound dirt or if there's a tree thread I'm totally overlooking.

There's a lot of posts about succulents (and carnivorous plants!) because they're popular, but it's not like the thread is that exclusive. If you want a dedicated tree thread, there is a bonsai thread, but I assume you're looking for full-size trees. I say just go ahead and post whatever plants you want here. Unless they're edible, in which case you may gently caress off to the gardening thread. There's also a hydroponics thread, if you're a fan of growing closet tomatoes. ;)

I looked up pictures of that tree and it looks like california.jpg. Goonspeed on getting them to grow, but drat I hate those things. :ca:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I saw this on my Facebook feed and I want one, a Persian Carpet Flower.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Bees on Wheat posted:

I looked up pictures of that tree and it looks like california.jpg. Goonspeed on getting them to grow, but drat I hate those things. :ca:

You are not alone, my friend. They are indeed the classic "sky dusters". I've been chatting about my new hobby with a few friends and every former-Californian I've spoken to about it has had the same reaction. They grow like weeds in Southern California and require ripping up just to keep outdoor gardens from turning into palm tree nightmares. The flip side for me is blackberry bushes, which grow like weeds here and cannot be killed, but most people around the country love and try to grow on purpose. I hate those loving plants.

Near Seattle, where I am, washingtonia palms just don't exist. I think it's too wet (during the winter), but not necessarily too cold. I'm in a hardiness zone 9A, which is just on the edge of their growing zone. Gonna test that theory and probably kill some wa. robusta saplings in a few years when I transition them to outdoors only.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Minenfeld! posted:

I'm looking to repot my peace lily. It's been in its pot and happy for two years, but now roots are starting to grow out of the drainage hole. I'm going to repot it in a 1:1:1 mixture of peat, perlite, and bark chips. Is it safe to trim back the roots when I take it out of its current home? I'd like to keep it in the same size pot.

Why would you repot to the same size pot if it’s outgrowing it’s current one? My recommendation would be to repot to a larger vessel, or just leave it be/ push its roots back in

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Why would you repot to the same size pot if it’s outgrowing it’s current one? My recommendation would be to repot to a larger vessel, or just leave it be/ push its roots back in

Or divide it

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

kid sinister posted:

uh, yea! Looks like it propagates well possibly? Get one and share :D

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Maybe it's just this photo, but that plant is giving me some serious Resident Evil vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

kid sinister posted:

Wanna kiss that stapeliad and throw up because the stench. Xoxo.