Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

My amp warns me with a red light on the footswitch if I accidentally set it to the "clean" channel, whatever that is. \m/

5150 owner spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

After spending the better part of 5 years fiddling with modelers and solid state amps I got rid of them and scored a used Mesa Dual Rectifier half stack for cheap. Nothing like big glass tone bottles

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Iucounu posted:

After spending the better part of 5 years fiddling with modelers and solid state amps I got rid of them and scored a used Mesa Dual Rectifier half stack for cheap. Nothing like big glass tone bottles

Welcome to the cool kids crew :D

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Iucounu posted:

Hell yea bro.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tube amps own so much that even though there are a billion “better” options for me I still prefer using them at like .5 bedroom level volume.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I have come to enjoy a tube pre -> solid state power amp in the bedroom. :getin:

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
a good tube amp plus a reactive load box with good IRs actually does own extremely hard

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That’s probably what I SHOULD do but eh I get a good sound with OR15 -> PPC212c somehow

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
I mean, I'm doing a TC-100 (6V6 TC-100 actually sounds extremely good, EL34s sound like a fizzy mess to me) into a 4x12 and it's great for practicing during the day... just not feasible at night, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, after getting my Recto-Verb 25 (which I also pair with a PPC212) and my 5:25 express plus, I rarely feel like I use any of my other amps live.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Professor Science posted:

a good tube amp plus a reactive load box with good IRs actually does own extremely hard

Yea my pre has a recording out that I use with IRs. I bought some Rosen Digital impulses I really like.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Honestly, after getting my Recto-Verb 25 (which I also pair with a PPC212) and my 5:25 express plus, I rarely feel like I use any of my other amps live.

I was really close to getting the ROV25 when I found a great deal on the Dual Rec. you have the head or combo?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Iucounu posted:

I was really close to getting the ROV25 when I found a great deal on the Dual Rec. you have the head or combo?
I mostly just have heads. The Recto-Verb head is, like, 9 kilos and super comfy to carry. A friend recently had to sell a bunch of gear and I helped him test his Mini Rec and goddamn, I'd really love it if Mesa just stopped doing stupid heavy bullshit heads and just did lunchbox heads, small comfy combos and their cabs, which sound like sex.

The two combos I have are my Fender Twin Reverb and a Mesa Boogie 5:25 Express Plus, which I mostly got because it gets me that incredible Fender Twin Reverb sound at half the loving weight of a Fender Twin.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Kilometers Davis posted:

Tube amps own so much that even though there are a billion “better” options for me I still prefer using them at like .5 bedroom level volume.

My bedroom amp is one of the 50th anniversary marshall 1 watt amps so I can keep the volume on that dimed :smugwizard:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The low end response of small wattage amps always leaves me wanting. Maybe I got ruined by my first amp being a ‘72 VT-22, but I can’t stand flubby low end. 50 watt minimum for me.

Solutions: amps with a good master volume, or a good attenuator. I haven’t found a good attenuator yet, but I traded in some gear to order a Fryette Power Station 2, and we’ll see how it is.

It’s not really an attenuator in the truest sense of the word, it’s really a good load box combined with a tube power amp section (two 6L6 at 50 watts) and an effects loop. This is rad because you can bring low wattage amps up to gigging level and also tame larger amps. Also adds an effects loop to amps without them or amps with poorly executed ones.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I love running my “Rig Only” patches on the old Avid 11rack into the front of my clean Blackface clone tube amp. Adjust the amp EQ to get the “amp in the room” feeling right, and master volume to taste. Power section is 2 6v6s (switchable to EL34s) and an Orange PPC112 closed back.

Sounds loving mint.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Gringostar posted:

My bedroom amp is one of the 50th anniversary marshall 1 watt amps so I can keep the volume on that dimed :smugwizard:
I'm with you, I've had pretty good experience with small tube combos at home. Especially if they have 12" speakers.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anything less than 10w is single-ended tomfoolery! Push-pull is life! :D

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m curious about single ended because Myrone reps them so hard. They’re hard to search for because I’m an idiot.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m curious about single ended because Myrone reps them so hard. They’re hard to search for because I’m an idiot.

90% of the time, when someone says "single ended" they mean "Fender Champ clone" - if you open your search up that way, you'll get a lot more hits. I did a Champ for a while (a Silverface, tbf) and it just never had quite enough tightness for me, especially on the low end. I think a lot of the worship of that kind of sound comes from Blues Dad Hegemony, where the definition of "Good Tonez" excludes anything recorded after 1971. But you may dig it!

I swapped the Champ for my Princeton and never looked back because

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Anything less than 10w is single-ended tomfoolery! Push-pull is life! :D

If you're looking for a book that covers a lot of ground well and only suffers slightly from "power amp tube distortion should be good enough for anybody :mad:" you should check out Dave Hunter's Tube Amp Handbook. I have the earlier edition, but I'm sure the new one is excellent. He starts out with a signal step-by-step in a simple amp circuit (the Champ, in fact) from input jack to speaker that's one of the best breakdowns I've seen, and has analyses of amps from different eras that include a "what was going on in music" section that I wish more books went into.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That’s a great book, thanks!

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there much difference between the sub-$100 micro amps?

I kind of want one that has an option between being plugged in, or battery power. I think they all come with headphone jacks now, right?

I don't really care so much about how they sound, its a doinky little amp.

Or do the dongles that plug into a computer do a better job for that sort of thing?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Jyrraeth posted:

I kind of want one that has an option between being plugged in, or battery power. I think they all come with headphone jacks now, right?

Or do the dongles that plug into a computer do a better job for that sort of thing?

Sub-100 I like the iphone/android gizmos myself.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Jyrraeth posted:

Is a speaker mandatory? Because if headphone-only is OK, the Vox Amplugs are about as portable as you can get.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I forgot that smart devices were a thing that could do stuff with guitars nowadays. Is that stuff like the iRig? I'm an android user, but I just don't know whats out there.

Speaker isn't super mandatory but I like them because I want to play with my boyfriend on his acoustic.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Quick question that I think I know the answer to. My friend was jamming on my amp (Vox Night Train 50H G1) and all was sweet. Then after we took a break, came back and it was rather muddy. On a hunch I bypassed the FX Loop (it has a button for it) and immediately the high end came back.

Plugging his entire board in line to the front of the amp (so same pedals and cables, no loop) still gets a signal with all the high end.

So my question is I believe the amp has a tube FX Loop. Would this be indicative that I may need tubes replaced soon? I've been running the same tubes for about five years. Thanks.

Edit: crap, so I just read that it's apparently an IC loop. Any other suggestions for the sudden muddiness of the loop?

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 4, 2018

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

If I had the choice between a reactive load box to DI my Fender HRD into an audio interface or buying a Blues Jr, which one of those would get me better results for recording? I currently use all amp/cab sims because the Hot Rod is way too loud even with the attenuator I have.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
a miked amp will sound best but if you've got experience using cab sims you can get about 90-95% of the way there with the DI approach

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

a miked amp will sound best but if you've got experience using cab sims you can get about 90-95% of the way there with the DI approach
disagree, I think the gap is that big only if the miked cab has a good room, good mics, good setup, good everything else. if you don't have all of that stuff, oh yes the reactive load + DI approach will sound better.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What are the thoughts on Morgan amps? I'm a classic rock/blues dad type player and I want to upgrade my TONE.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Apollo posted:

What are the thoughts on Morgan amps? I'm a classic rock/blues dad type player and I want to upgrade my TONE.
Excellent platform amps if you already have your pedalboard doing all your tone or if you like a good, simple tone served to you. They're also expensive as heck.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Danyull posted:

If I had the choice between a reactive load box to DI my Fender HRD into an audio interface or buying a Blues Jr, which one of those would get me better results for recording? I currently use all amp/cab sims because the Hot Rod is way too loud even with the attenuator I have.

Reactive load to DI using IRs will get you the best sound, almost always better than a miced cab unless you have a really pro setup and are really good at micing. Even then the difference is negligible imo. Keep in mind not all reactive loads are created equal, check the reviews to see if the DI sounds good or not. The Suhr reactive load is supposedly pretty ace.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Iucounu posted:

Reactive load to DI using IRs will get you the best sound, almost always better than a miced cab unless you have a really pro setup and are really good at micing. Even then the difference is negligible imo. Keep in mind not all reactive loads are created equal, check the reviews to see if the DI sounds good or not. The Suhr reactive load is supposedly pretty ace.
there's a Suhr Reactive Load connected to a Mesa TC-100 ten feet away from me and yes it rules

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
I'm looking to get a tone similar to the rhythm tone that you can hear starting around 2:28 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQETySAq3js. Is there a particular pedal that could get me there or is that sound pretty amp (Mesa?) specific?

Bolange fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 6, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wampler Plexi Drive probably.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wampler Plexi Drive probably.

Oh? I though that was more of an "American" style dist which the Plexi obv isn't. I'm pretty inexperienced with regard to specific amp tones so it's quite likely that I'm wrong...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bolange posted:

Oh? I though that was more of an "American" style dist which the Plexi obv isn't. I'm pretty inexperienced with regard to specific amp tones so it's quite likely that I'm wrong...

Nope, it’s meant to be a Plexi/JCM800 style. Also, you might check out Amptweaker pedals (designed by the guy who designed the 5150) although that might be higher gain than you’re interested in.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Nope, it’s meant to be a Plexi/JCM800 style.

Right, I understand the pedal (and it's on my short list)--I just though the tone I pointed out had more of an American flavor to it...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bolange posted:

Right, I understand the pedal (and it's on my short list)--I just though the tone I pointed out had more of an American flavor to it...

No, that's a pretty classic UK crunch, which generally means Marshall or Marshall-ish. The good news is that you're spoiled for choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bolange posted:

Ooh, to my ears it had a Marshall tone. :shrug: