Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

they're just allowed to be more selective about who they enroll, so they can exclude non-white kids and anyone else their donors don't like 

Well, since last I checked the top ten school massacre list had more non whites on it than whites, it's for the kids own good to segregate via these private schools...

From memory it's Virginia tech , Pennsylvania school by native Americans hundreds of years ago, Santa Barbara , Umpqua oregon and oikos cali
Edit- had to look it up.

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Jun 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

one of these things is not like the others
one of these things just doesn't belong

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Trabisnikof posted:

one of these things is not like the others
one of these things just doesn't belong

*Squints* hmm , the oikos guy since he was in his 40s???

Or are you trying to include Cruz as non white which I think is ridiculous

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wheeee posted:

yea thats why i used the quotes and also they are better in terms of creating future opportunities because our society and culture are poo poo

the only things they're better at are circumventing federal education standards and funneling money into the hands of private investors

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

indeed private schools are better at scamming parents

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Private schools are better at instilling Christian values.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Forbes: Chinese Prisoners Forced to Farm World of Warcraft Gold

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

drat, close the thread. that’s a wrap everyone

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

:matters:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this is a 7 year old news article, our cyberpunk dystopia was here all along

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1004742687847796736

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hell yeah DeathCrewBot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/SamTLevin/status/1004759944179036160

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
https://twitter.com/jinakhoushnaw/status/1004463889130622976

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ahhhhh

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Private schools are better at instilling Christian values.

Yeah I dunno how big a metro area needs to be to have private schools that aren't Catholic schools (not counting the crazy evangelical "schools" with a dozen students) but I don't think they really exist outside of maybe a half dozen places in the US.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Yeah I dunno how big a metro area needs to be to have private schools that aren't Catholic schools (not counting the crazy evangelical "schools" with a dozen students) but I don't think they really exist outside of maybe a half dozen places in the US.

Huh? Even if you exclude all evangelical private schools, I think you’ll find them far more prevalent than that. You have private charter schools, montisori schools, elite private schools, etc.

Especially in the post-integration south, they’re everywhere.

25% of all US schools are private and 10% of students attend them. Only about 39% of private school kids attend catholic schools anymore http://www.capenet.org/facts.html

(Using pro-private numbers might inflate the stats a little but not too much.)

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Jun 7, 2018

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah the majority of private schools where I grew up were not religiously affiliated. Granted that's the LA area where rich white people in the 60's built private schools to avoid bussing.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

Huh? Even if you exclude all evangelical private schools, I think you’ll find them far more prevalent than that. You have private charter schools, montisori schools, elite private schools, etc.

My experience with Montessori is that it ends around Kindergarten, so while I agree they'd qualify as a private school, I was thinking more along the lines of post kindergarten, especially high schools.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bawfuls posted:

Yeah the majority of private schools where I grew up were not religiously affiliated. Granted that's the LA area where rich white people in the 60's built private schools to avoid bussing.

I definitely was thinking LA/New York/Chicago/San Fransisco among the places where they exist. I admit I dunno what the population cutoff is but I'd guess around a million for a metro area before they start to show up.

Maybe it's a regional thing. In the Midwest non-catholic school private schools don't really exist. There is no "just send my kid to private school" option unless you want to send them to Catholic school.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thoguh posted:

My experience with Montessori is that it ends around Kindergarten, so while I agree they'd qualify as a private school, I was thinking more along the lines of post kindergarten, especially high schools.

Oh they go all the way to high school now, but k-8 is more common https://clark.cps-k12.org

I can’t exactly imagine how that works for the kids once they leave.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Thoguh posted:

I definitely was thinking LA/New York/Chicago/San Fransisco among the places where they exist. I admit I dunno what the population cutoff is but I'd guess around a million for a metro area before they start to show up.

Maybe it's a regional thing. In the Midwest non-catholic school private schools don't really exist. There is no "just send my kid to private school" option unless you want to send them to Catholic school.

a lot of places with strong traditions of racism built a poo poo-ton of private schools after Brown v. Board, which originally only covered public schools. one Virginia county completely shut down its public school system and gave all the kids private school vouchers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segregation_academy

the Supreme Court later ruled that private schools had to desegregate too, but by then the trend had set

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://jacobinmag.com/2018/06/google-project-maven-military-tech-workers

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

In May, the New York Times published an op-ed arguing that Google should continue Project Maven because it served American national security interests.

hahahaha of course it did, what an absolute rag

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

Then, during the Q&A period, several of the questions were about Project Maven. Leadership got hammered. This was totally unplanned, and I don’t think anyone expected such a forceful employee response. One woman stood up and said something like, “Hey, I left the Defense Department so I wouldn’t have to work on this kind of stuff. What kind of voice do we have besides this Q&A to explain why this project is not okay?”

Sergey Brin, one of Google’s cofounders, responded first. And his response really paid us dividends. He said something like, “Letting you ask that question is the voice that you have. Very few companies would allow you to do that.”

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Lol if they think this absolves them from murder. They all pay taxes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
shot:
https://mobile.twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1004869246726344704

chaser:

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
schools are eventually going to look like the streets/grocery stores/everywhere in Handmaids Tale or A Scanner Darkly, where it’s just normal and expected to see cops in full military gear with assault rifles wandering the halls

That’s already what parts of Manhattan are like. You step out of grand central and oh hey, there’s 10 cops with bullet proof vests and ar-15s, laughing and chatting. it’s like being in a city under occupation

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
political violence early warning system

Hope you're ready for Minority Report, but for the World Police™️

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

NBC: Drones combat flaming kites launched from Gaza

quote:

Palestinians are launching burning kites from Gaza to set fire to Israeli farmland. The Israeli military has drafted drone enthusiasts to help destroy the kites in flight.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
how long until everything is turned into uber/airbnb and you only rent things like beds and phones and jobs for a few hours at a time like in Neuromancer

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

got any sevens posted:

how long until everything is turned into uber/airbnb and you only rent things like beds and phones and jobs for a few hours at a time like in Neuromancer

thats actual Late Stage Capitalism, when literally every potential human action is directly monetized and profited from, and it will definitely be in our lifetimes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
can’t wait to sell smells of my farts to passers by.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

HEY NONG MAN posted:

can’t wait to sell smells of my farts to passers by.

imagine how valuable all the methane you produce in your lifetime is, just going to waste

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
methane will be a penalty unless you wear the american atmosphere safety plug, where it will be taxed accordingly.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What if we treat the human body, as a kind of battery...

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

rudatron posted:

What if we treat the human body, as a kind of battery...

https://news.bitcoin.com/these-dutch-researchers-are-mining-cryptocurrencies-with-body-heat/

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

unfortunately it killed the sherpa and not the crypto nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Monetize everything because it's literally the only way left to grow the GDP.

I feel like a lot of cyberpunk actually didn't see that big coming and in retrospect the only reason is that most authors largely focused on the absolute top of the superstructure when world building