Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I finally got through the opening and did some gameplay, and oh my goodness I hate the combat so much, to the point that I desperately looked around for bugs/console commands that would let me just beef myself up at the start so I could skip combat for the rest of the game. Given that that doesn't appear to be an option, am I good with the following-ish progression?

1) Pour thousands and thousands of points into blood spear, until it obliterates everyone in one or two shots
2) Beef up bite's blood% so I can use everyone who survives the spear to immediately charge it up again
3) pump stamina, then bite damage, then bite health restore
4) hopefully be done with the game at that point and never have to fight things again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Omi no Kami posted:

So I finally got through the opening and did some gameplay, and oh my goodness I hate the combat so much, to the point that I desperately looked around for bugs/console commands that would let me just beef myself up at the start so I could skip combat for the rest of the game. Given that that doesn't appear to be an option, am I good with the following-ish progression?

1) Pour thousands and thousands of points into blood spear, until it obliterates everyone in one or two shots
2) Beef up bite's blood% so I can use everyone who survives the spear to immediately charge it up again
4) hopefully be done with the game at that point and never have to fight things again

Unless they've patched out the bug, you can hold the letter P key during the level up screen and it'll give you infinite xp to use.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exquisite tea posted:

I had the chance to put a solid 8 hours or so into the game this weekend, and I have to say it's grown on me immensely. I have no prior interest in vampire games, but I am a big fan of Dontnod, and despite very obviously being a budget production it's still got a lot of charm. I like it! Here are some random thoughts:

- Everything reviewers say about the janky combat is 100% true. It's not unplayable, but skills, weapons, and the camera lack the impact you'd expect from a dedicated action game. My experience greatly improved once I got a two-hander and started clubbing dudes to death.
- The story starts out kind of slow at the hospital when you're just getting introduced to everyone but once I progressed into Whitechapel there were a lot of interesting storylines and character moments.
- I've been doing pretty well in combat despite only killing the scummy anti-immigrant landlord because gently caress that guy. Can't wait until my mesmerize is high enough to kill the rear end in a top hat priest, too.
- In what I assume is the first real major choice of the game, I let Crane continue her blackmailing operation in Whitechapel because I am a communist sympathizer.
- I've mostly been leveling the Bite and Endurance talents, which along with a big 2H mace have been very successful. I love how the bad guys politely stand there and let your stamina bar refill when you're taking a bite out of their friend's neck.
- I love how the beautiful, heroic mute girl also gives out 5,000 XP if you choose to embrace her.
- The voice actor for Swansea is also the Red Prince from Divinity: OS2 and it's weirding me out.

Anyway, it's pretty cool!

yeah pretty much this. i love the concept and story ideas a bunch but the combat is jank as gently caress. it can be fun at times but it throws super strong dudes at you hard and fast. I had to eat the dickhead street thug and drunk anarchist who was possibly a killer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Omi no Kami posted:

The combat became pretty easy and even halfway amusing as soon as I picked up a 2H club in the sewers. Put a ton of points in Endurance and the Bite talents, stun dudes in 2-3 hits and chow down.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Merrill Grinch posted:

Vampyr Shower-Thoughts:

So if (Chapter 4 mild spoilers) Ekon blood makes Skals sane again, does that mean all these skal who jumped on me in the early game were having epiphanies ("My name....is Ralph! I have a wife!") right before I killed them anyways?

Making Sean sane again costs xp, so my headcanon for it is there being two types of blood - ordinary blood and lifeblood. Drinking rats and biting people in combat doesn't give you anywhere near the same oomph as embracing someone, so you only get the good stuff when you drain someone completely to death - which is why even benevolent vampires kill instead of just getting blood donations from 'volunteers'. I just read it as to cure a Skal or make someone a vampire, a vampire has to willingly give up some of his stolen lifeblood, and that a stolen bite wouldn't have the same power unless they totally drained you dry, just like we don't get massive xp from biting random vampire hunters.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 9, 2018

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I think they may've patched it out already, P and O + P both don't work... I kinda came to a workable solution though, I've been beating the bejesus out of guys with the 2H club, biting someone, and repeating. It's boring and dumb, but it's kept me alive a lot more consistently than blood skills/fast combat.

exquisite tea posted:

The combat became pretty easy and even halfway amusing as soon as I picked up a 2H club in the sewers. Put a ton of points in Endurance and the Bite talents, stun dudes in 2-3 hits and chow down.

Yeah! I just found the club, and boy you aren't wrong about that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, the big club with extra stun basically breaks the combat over your knee. Throw in an upgraded sawn-off shotgun (but not Milton's, because that one's kinda bad) for those people with annoying resistances and you can take down just about everything easy.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I found a blue condition Good sawed off shotgun after following a blood trail on the docks near the hospital and holy poo poo this thing dunks on fools :stare:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone find any money sinks? I've just been dismantling everything and haven't found a reason not to yet.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the big club with extra stun basically breaks the combat over your knee. Throw in an upgraded sawn-off shotgun (but not Milton's, because that one's kinda bad) for those people with annoying resistances and you can take down just about everything easy.

Why is Milton's Shotgun bad?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 9, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RatHat posted:

Why is Milton's Shotgun bad?

It uses up two ammo per shot (i.e. shooting both barrels at once), while only doing like ~20% more damage than the lupara. Since you can fire off both barrels of the lupara very quickly anyways, you don't really gain anything from it, but lose out a whole lot of damage potential because you effectively only have half as much ammo.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there any point in buffing health? Not even two hours in I am absurdly sick of being one-shot by command grabs and random attacks, but I read that damage output only gets more absurd as the game goes on, and I don't wanna waste points if I'm going to constantly be getting ganked no matter what.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Perestroika posted:

It uses up two ammo per shot (i.e. shooting both barrels at once), while only doing like ~20% more damage than the lupara. Since you can fire off both barrels of the lupara very quickly anyways, you don't really gain anything from it, but lose out a whole lot of damage potential because you effectively only have half as much ammo.

Ah that's a waste of money then. Well I guess it's still really strong in the early game before you can get a better shotgun.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

RatHat posted:

Ah that's a waste of money then. Well I guess it's still really strong in the early game before you can get a better shotgun.
Wish I'd noticed before I wasted my precious shillings on it. And that the beginner machete / stake combo can only be upgraded one level. Personally weapon-wise I've been toting the bonesaw with either a stake or revolver. The stake has obscene stun / range in general, and it's even better when you get the Priwen version. Plus you can dance around like Bloodborne thanks to the stamina / speed traits.

Anyway, my personal tip for making combat less irritating is just don't bother with the lockon, or at least not when fighting groups. You'll aim at the closest enemy by default, rather than having to wrestle the indicator onto the right one, and you can still freely dodge / run in any direction too.

Another thing, leading vampires into the Priwen guard is my new favorite sport. It's actually pretty weird sometimes. The lil torch dudes that are pretty much free food, will actually gently caress up a giant werewolf pretty drat badly. :stare:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Goons: games these days are too easy

Also Goons: anyone know any cheats to make this game easier?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

This isn’t a very hard game once you figure out that pumping stamina is super important and Bite makes you invincible.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Goons: games these days are too easy

Also Goons: anyone know any cheats to make this game easier?

Well to be fair, I wasn't looking for cheats because the game is hard; I'm looking because the combat is poorly designed, extremely frustrating, and not at all fun, but the social stuff is great, so I'm trying to find a way to not play as much as the combat as possible.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Omi no Kami posted:

Well to be fair, I wasn't looking for cheats because the game is hard; I'm looking because the combat is poorly designed, extremely frustrating, and not at all fun, but the social stuff is great, so I'm trying to find a way to not play as much as the combat as possible.

While you were the inspiration for my post, I was laughing at the irony of that theme across multiple threads rather than your specifically reasonable request. :glomp:

That said, if they patched the O+P hack, you may have to just cheat engine yourself some XP or else start sucking off some civvies. :heysexy:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there any point in buffing health? Not even two hours in I am absurdly sick of being one-shot by command grabs and random attacks, but I read that damage output only gets more absurd as the game goes on, and I don't wanna waste points if I'm going to constantly be getting ganked no matter what.

This is an interesting question, I haven't touched health yet.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

interested to pick this up but I've got a few questions before I do.

- is there any stealth involved and if so, are the mechanics any good/fun?
- what type of rpg is this in terms of open world mechanics? Do you need to keep following the main quest and do a few other things on the side as the mood takes you, or is it more optimal/entertaining to give the main quest a wide berth and explore the map as much as possible?
- I've seen quite a few crafting materials pop up in videos. How opulent/cheapscate is the economy if you don't pillage every single container?
- I've seen that the game autosaves "continuously", what does this mean when you are defeated in combat? Do you get a game over or what?
- Also due to the save system, do you end up with alpha protocol-esque moments where you can end up wishing you could reload and pick a different dialogue?
- are the various side-npcs sufficiently interesting to keep you engaged or do you rapidly start ignoring them in favour of the main plot npcs?
e:-does the game get a more varied color palate later on or is it beginning to end varying tones of black, brown and grey mixed with a couple of flame/lantern lights for contrast?

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 9, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

double nine posted:

interested to pick this up but I've got a few questions before I do.

- is there any stealth involved and if so, are the mechanics any good/fun?
- what type of rpg is this in terms of open world mechanics? Do you need to keep following the main quest and do a few other things on the side as the mood takes you, or is it more optimal/entertaining to give the main quest a wide berth and explore the map as much as possible?
- I've seen quite a few crafting materials pop up in videos. How opulent/cheapscate is the economy if you don't pillage every single container?
- I've seen that the game autosaves "continuously", what does this mean when you are defeated in combat? Do you get a game over or what?
- Also due to the save system, do you end up with alpha protocol-esque moments where you can end up wishing you could reload and pick a different dialogue?
- are the various side-npcs sufficiently interesting to keep you engaged or do you rapidly start ignoring them in favour of the main plot npcs?
e:-does the game get a more varied color palate later on or is it beginning to end varying tones of black, brown and grey mixed with a couple of flame/lantern lights for contrast?

-Only minimally. There is one optional skill that makes you temporarily invisible. You can use it to circumvent combat encounters in the open world that you don't want to bother with. But since the skill is optional, stealth is never actually necessary in the course of the quests.
-It's fairly linear and focused on the main story. Each sidequest is linked directly to particular NPC, and aside from granting XP and money they're mostly there to give you further background information about those NPCs. The sidequests are mostly there to further flesh out the NPCs, in terms of gameplay they're fairly straightforward "go to [place], find [thing]" affairs.
-So far I've basically just looted containers that were directly on my path, and even then I'm swimming in enough materials to make all the consumables I need. The only real scarcity lies in the weapon upgrade materials, which are more limited to gate your advancement in that regard. (i.e. you'll only find the materials to upgrade your weapons to the next-highest tier after certain points in the story)
-If you get killed, you simply respawn nearby with all your progression set to the most recent save. With the frequency of saves, that means you rarely ever lose any progress except for whatever XP you may have gained from the fight that killed you.
-That can happen, yeah. If you badly misstep during a conversation, sometimes the game will outright tell you that you missed out on gaining a particular clue. Sometimes, killing the process and restarting the game can be a hacky way to go around that. But for the bigger decisions the game uses a time-delay before you see the actual consequences of your actions, so you can't really retry those.
-That's obviously somewhat subjective, but I'd say so, yeah. Almost everyone has a unique bit of background story that's interesting to dig up. Unlike in many other RPGs, I can basically immediately put a story to each NPC at any time whenever I see them again. The one downside is that you can often only really interact with them in a fairly superficial way, since the game expects that you might just up and murder them at any time.
-The colour palette does stay very subdued the whole time through, that's fairly integral to its whole art direction. But you do get splashes of colour whenever you do the vampire vision thing, with blood and people lightning up quite nicely.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Wow so giving Sean the benefit of the doubt was a catastrophic miscalculation, god drat.

PS invest in stamina stun weaponry and bite passives and combat is a loving joke by midway through act 3. Haven't chomped a soul.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
I think you can still do the glitch if you hold down P while the XP bar is filling as you start to invest in a skill.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I just got that 2 handed barbed-wire cudgel and it owns :black101:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just picked this up. The options menu has no slider to disable motion blur, vignetting, chromatic abberation, film grain, etc. Are these absent by default? If not, is there a mod to remove them?
(It's the first thing I look at when I boot a new game)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, that was terrible. On the Xbone, I just finished the boss fight in the sewers. Well, almost everytime I move through water, the camera decides to send up a big giant glare of light that obscures the entire screen. I spent most of the fight just blindly dodging until I could stand still long enough for the water to stop splashing and the glare to go away. A heavy bite attack, good heal, and that two handed cudgel was all that made that fight possible.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wow so PSA, effing level up sometimes. I was banking all of my experience so I didn't tick the districts decaying until I had all the medicine, cured everyone, and finished all the sidequests in case the decay failed one. The game got on close to my last nerve during this process, when it introduced those giant cleric enemies whose cross saps all of your stamina and blood on top of being able to one-shot you if they hit you, just like everyone else.

Turns out being made of tissue paper was due to the level disparity- I don't know if you get more HP when you level up, or if you just gain resistances based on level difference, but when I actually leveled up from 5-15 the same enemies that'd been one-shotting me all game started doing under 10% of my health on every hit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Holy poo poo, that was terrible. On the Xbone, I just finished the boss fight in the sewers. Well, almost everytime I move through water, the camera decides to send up a big giant glare of light that obscures the entire screen. I spent most of the fight just blindly dodging until I could stand still long enough for the water to stop splashing and the glare to go away. A heavy bite attack, good heal, and that two handed cudgel was all that made that fight possible.

Apparently, that's just a bug and you restart the console to fix that. But congrats!

I'm getting my rear end kicked by the boss after that. Ugh, loving one hit kills.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Omi no Kami posted:

Wow so PSA, effing level up sometimes. I was banking all of my experience so I didn't tick the districts decaying until I had all the medicine, cured everyone, and finished all the sidequests in case the decay failed one. The game got on close to my last nerve during this process, when it introduced those giant cleric enemies whose cross saps all of your stamina and blood on top of being able to one-shot you if they hit you, just like everyone else.

Turns out being made of tissue paper was due to the level disparity- I don't know if you get more HP when you level up, or if you just gain resistances based on level difference, but when I actually leveled up from 5-15 the same enemies that'd been one-shotting me all game started doing under 10% of my health on every hit.

Yeah your damage and health seem to scale based on your level.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Apparently, that's just a bug and you restart the console to fix that. But congrats!

I'm getting my rear end kicked by the boss after that. Ugh, loving one hit kills.

Are you talking about the graveyard boss? Because that fight owns. An insta-kill attack whose wind-up looks the same as the "here's some free damage" attack?? awesome. I just let my ultimate do the heavy lifting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just finished the Docks plotline and chose to embrace Sean because I didn't think he could be trusted. Dunno if that was the right call since the district is now like 51% critical, whoopsies! I'm sure it can't get much worse though, right? Right?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
You can respec in Vampyr?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, just hit reset in the level up screen to respec.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Does resting and levelling always cause regular enemies to become stronger as well, or is that just tied to plot progression and/or district status?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So apparently I bungled things with the patient with facial burns and I "lost a clue". Is there any way to patch things up with him or am I screwed for this playthrough?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Pennfalath posted:

Does resting and levelling always cause regular enemies to become stronger as well, or is that just tied to plot progression and/or district status?

It doesn't directly make them stronger, but it causes the districts to degrade, which strengthens enemies.

Sylphosaurus posted:

So apparently I bungled things with the patient with facial burns and I "lost a clue". Is there any way to patch things up with him or am I screwed for this playthrough?

You're screwed, just roll with it. It's not a huge deal for anyone but the pillars potentially. I've missed a few.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 10, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

Short of killing the process before the dialogue ends there's nothing you can do. Character clues are so minor in the grand scheme of things though, and none of your choices are going to make everybody happy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Sylphosaurus posted:

This gives me much anxiety but it is part and parcel an element of the game so I am trying to both be methodical and power through. My FOMO is very activated by this game. :sweatdrop:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

quote:

You're screwed, just roll with it. It's not a huge deal for anyone but the pillars potentially. I've missed a few.

quote:

Short of killing the process before the dialogue ends there's nothing you can do. Character clues are so minor in the grand scheme of things though, and none of your choices are going to make everybody happy.

Thanks for the headsup, I´ll just soldier on then.

Got to say that the Claws upgrade was a bit of a disappointment since I believed them to be a primary attack instead of an activated power. They do murder the poo poo out of everything besides the shotgun thugs in one swipe.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Missing a clue seems like a big deal, you get a sad sound effect and everything but its basically meaningless. It just means you get slightly less XP when you eat that NPC and if you are eating people then theres lots of other people to eat, you'll get more than enough XP. Otherwise its just fun RP stuff.

The main Pillar characters though you should go for all clues with because they give you extra storyline choices through dialogue. But also they aren't always the best choices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Some clues kind of suck to get because it requires you narcing on a person just to make sure you don't miss any parts of the conversation trees.

• Locked thread